• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
Loved, loved, loved it.
Not perfect, some flaws, but it's the movie I had been waiting for all those years.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
Seen it. It was great. Nothing stellar but we've had a good time.

Brie is killing it in there imo.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

I'm still going with $140 or so. I would love to be wrong but that seems huge.

Although, if I could throw in some anecdotal evidence based on conversations from non-comic fans and casual moviegoers: I have been getting a vibe that people have been getting antsy for a new MCU film.

It almost feels as if the MCU has penetrated pop culture so deeply that audiences are looking at an longer-than-usual gaps between films as, "It's been too long. When does the next episode air?"

I wonder if that could be part of it too?

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017

Although, if I could throw in some anecdotal evidence based on conversations from non-comic fans and casual moviegoers: I have been getting a vibe that people have been getting antsy for a new MCU film.

It almost feels as if the MCU has penetrated pop culture so deeply that audiences are looking at an longer-than-usual gaps between films as, "It's been too long. When does the next episode air?"

I'm looking at showtimes on Fandango for tonight in my city and there are theaters listed today that weren't a few days ago, and the theater I'm going to seems to have doubled the amount of shows for tonight.

They're going for that $180MM.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it a lot. I don't know what story I expected, but it's definitely not the one I got, and I don't mind at all. I loved the main characters and their dynamics, loved what they did in terms of universe building, and I'm looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

The MCU got bigger in pretty interesting ways.

May 10, 2018

That and the fact that there hasn't been anything major to see at the movies so far this year.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So ready to see this tonight. I've been listening to Nirvana and NIN all day.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it. First half is pretty rough, Brie is kind of all over the place. Mendelsohn and Jackson were great. Thankfully the second half is awesome so it's still a pretty good movie but far from MCU's best.

7/10

Last edited:

legendofjelda

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
This movie really resonated with me. Glad I gave it a shot. Wasn't that big of a fan of Captain Marvel in the comics I've read (except for her more cosmic stories, those were neat), but this movie got me jazzed as hell.

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm at the fan event it says you get a coin and a event only concessions item. Does anyone know what that is ? Kinda disappointed at no lanyard

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
So I'm at the fan event it says you get a coin and a event only concessions item. Does anyone know what that is ? Kinda disappointed at no lanyard

I got one for Thor. Event only concessions amounted to a small popcorn, and the coin is just a collector coin, nothing fancy, nothing worth the extra price, though I love to go to be among the fans.

Critch

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
That and the fact that there hasn't been anything major to see at the movies so far this year.

There's always a detectable lull before a huge opening. This lull has been since December. It's the main reason I've been touting that $150 is the floor this weekend, and we could approach 200. Audiences are STARVING for Superhero films, and they're starving for Marvel after IW.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Quite surprised by how much I didn't like this film. Larson felt she was a teenager pretending to be in a superhero film and the action scenes were extremely lackluster. She never felt powerful... her display of raw power were without context. It's like the opposite of Thanos in the beginning of Infinite War. And this might be the first film that I positively dislike the soundtrack. Very, very bland.

On the positive side, the post credit one was outstanding (first one). I'm certain I had a huge grin in my face. And I'm more excited to see Endgame now with Carol than before, so the film certainly did something right.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
https://deadline.com/2019/03/captai...a-global-international-box-office-1202571318/

The Brie Larson-starrer is seeing strong early play in markets like Korea, France and China. Although the Middle Kingdom doesn't open officially until Friday, midnights tonight are understood to have come in at RMB 16.5M ($2.51M), the 4th best start for a superhero film behind Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Age Of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War. Notable that this is a standalone/origins story whereas the movies above it are all ensembles.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fucking shit. Just showed up to my IMAX 2D showing and AMC says they "double booked" and some bullshit company bought out the entire 7:45 IMAX show. They gave us tickets to a little bullshit showing and 2 free passes that are good for later.

woooooooow I'm pissed. Fucking went out of my way to go to this theater for IMAX. Unbelievable.

Nov 8, 2018
Dublin, Ireland
Well there was Glass... oh, yeah, right...

Holy fucking shit. Just showed up to my IMAX 2D showing and AMC says they "double booked" and some bullshit company bought out the entire 7:45 IMAX show. They gave us tickets to a little bullshit showing and 2 free passes that are good for later.

woooooooow I'm pissed. Fucking went out of my way to go to this theater for IMAX. Unbelievable.
I'd tell them to stick their free passes up their arse. Then I'd storm out and never go back.

Game Fan

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I liked it a lot. In my opinion the pacing was great. Brie Larson was very good, the overall feeling of the movie is nice. Only thing I didn't get was
the enemy wanted some tech to travel at the speed of light to travel to another galaxies, but it didn't seem to be a problem to everybody move around the galaxy really fast.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
I couldn't get into the movie. Once I saw an arcade machine using an LED display in the 1990s, I just left the cinema.

What a blunder!

Mandius

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot. In my opinion the pacing was great. Brie Larson was very good, the overall feeling of the movie is nice. Only thing I didn't get was
the enemy wanted some tech to travel at the speed of light to travel to another galaxies, but it didn't seem to be a problem to everybody move around the galaxy really fast.
Maybe I wasn't paying attention.

they wanted to get so far away that the Kree wouldn't be able to follow them.

RedEther

Jan 7, 2018
Just got out of theater it's a good movie but nothing stellar I'd give it a 8 or so. Brie Larson was a lot better than the trailers portrayed her out to be, she and Samuel worked pretty well as a duo.

That actress who played Minn-erva, Gemma Chan is actually ridiculously beautiful my eyes went her whenever she was on screen lol.

The action was pretty good but I felt the movie had no stand out scenes, a lot scenes were solid but nothing had me in awe honestly.

Might check it out again this Sunday for a second viewing.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Just me or did the first section before the initial flashback really make anyone else want a new Mass Effect?

Anyway, really enjoyed this!
The fight scenes after the power unlock felt a bit weightless, but all the spaceflight and smashing through the ships was awesome.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Just got out in, saw it in Miami at sunset place and before getting in Zachary Levi was outside for a premiere of Shazam. So prepare for first impressions tonight.

Marvel was fun, average marvel movie. Good performance all sround

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to see Brie Larson as Samus Aran in a Metroid film :D :D :D

She actually wants to play Samus

51ddsar3ykgt.png

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Loved it, the chemistry between the characters was so well done.

Brie is amazing as Captain Marvel.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this movie, I thought it was in yhe upper tier of origin movies. Brie was great and her moments with Maria, Monica and Fury were all highlights.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What does Carol say to Nat? The whole theater was cheering so I couldn't hear.

Phoony17

Oct 27, 2017
Narangba, AUS
It's hilarious seeing some of these youtubers who were confident CM was going to bomb at the box office, even though everything was showing that it was going to open big.

Now they're moving the goal posts to the 2nd weekend and how it'll crumble because bad audience reviews will catch up with it.

E.g Odin's movie blog was confident that presales mean nothing because Solo, even though that only had strong first 24hrs in presales and that's it. He said it's going to bomb in China, no way it'll get near Civil War ($194m).

He's going to look like an ass in 3 days.