• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
mh switch, nice. and thankfully sounds like a new game and not a port of world
it always seemed like such an obvious move but so many people didn't want it to happen said it won't happen...

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
You're way late to that party:
81AxL%2BLRFdL._SL1500_.jpg
I forgot all about this. Wasnt it online only? Too bad it never got an english release.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
There's so much I wish could know right now, about the game. But I guess if I was able to get deets on ONE thing?

...It'd be if the cats are back as playable Prowlers. For them to be the closest thing the series has had to a "new weapon type" in years, at least getting them back would be nice.

Looking back at Generations/Ultimate, it's still amusing that the Portable team was actually able to "get away" with as much as they did.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'm tempted to talk about this, I've literally had what this is confirmed by like a dozen different people at this point, but I'm not much of a MH fan and I feel it's not really my place to say what this is, others who know and are bigger fans haven't said anything so I won't either. All I'll say is be patient for a bit longer.

Monster Hunter World is not coming to Switch, that I will comment on. Capcom themselves actually say that in the very interview this topic is about.

A shame but to be expected. Still it will be good to get something new.

Whatever it is though, I hope it carries over a lot of Monster Hunter World's mechanics with it.

I just... Cant go back. MHW was like a fifty year leap in quality of life improvements. I can't go back to zones hidden behind loading screens. I just can't.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
There's so much I wish could know right now, about the game. But I guess if I was able to get deets on ONE thing?

...It'd be if the cats are back as playable Prowlers. For them to be the closest thing the series has had to a "new weapon type" in years, at least getting them back would be nice.

Looking back at Generations/Ultimate, it's still amusing that the Portable team was actually able to "get away" with as much as they did.
I feel yah, Prowlers mode was sooo fun and awesome, those little dudes were broken!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, 2023 has been my safe bet for the sixth gen game. Judging by what we know about Capcom's schedule with announced stuff and what's been rumored, it seems like they've already got their PS5/XSEX stuff figured out through 2022 with:

-2021: Resident Evil 8 and Street Fighter 6
-2022: Pragmata and Resident Evil 4

I don't know what could possibly be paired with MH6/W2, but I do think we'll get that at a minimum. Meanwhile, the Portable team will likely stay on Nintendo hardware and any stuff that's not targeting big specs will release on Switch and/or Switch 2, like anything Mega Man or, god forbid, Ace Attorney.
SFVI is likely 2022 at point given that SFV is getting one last season of DLC.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
A shame but to be expected. Still it will be good to get something new.

Whatever it is though, I hope it carries over a lot of Monster Hunter World's mechanics with it.

I just... Cant go back. MHW was like a fifty year leap in quality of life improvements. I can't go back to zones hidden behind loading screens. I just can't.

That's something to be expected. Most of the QoL changes are great. And even thought I don't like scoutflies and having to find tracks, they're likely staying around, too.

My main thing? I hope the Clutch Claw stays in Iceborne. After spending so much time with it, I can safely say that I never want to have to deal with that thing again.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
MHP 4th as in NEXT was always going to be a Switch game. Capcom made it very clear in 2017 that they needed time in 2017 to deliver this kind of release for a new system like th Switch.

PS4/One also had to wait 3-4 years post launch MHW - it's common sense. They brought MH Generations HD over relatively early to give the fans at least something until the 5th gen Switch title is ready - ever since then the only thing that likely changed is the scope of the project because the Switch turned into hardware and software selling monster.

Looking forward to see MH back on portables.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
I feel like I've been teased about a new monster hunter project being unveiled soon for 6+ months now.

Spill the beans -- monster hunter stories HD? stories 2? portable series returning? smartphone games? mhw2 (duh)?

I'm fighting for scraps out here yo

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Feels like a MH for switch is taking....Generations to be made.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Hot take, Capcom's support for the Switch is mediocre because its a marketing tactic to hype up Monster Hunter 5 Portable, releasing 2021 worldwide exclusively on the Switch. It will sell 20 million copies and set up Capcom's debut of MHW2 (technically MH6) for the Switch 2 (Pro),PS5,XBSX,PC releasing worldwide in 2022.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Ozzie update your OP now from the following below:

The Q&A is available from Capcom, link:
www.capcom.co.jp

株主総会 | 株式・債券情報 | 株式会社カプコン

カプコンの定時株主総会について掲載しています。

This confirms the question did get asked:
(The following is Google translated)

Q: I would like to ask about the expansion of "Monster Hunter: World" to Nintendo Switch. Also, I would like you to once again sell "Monster Hunter" that high school students can enjoy.

A: Currently, we are not planning to deploy "Monster Hunter: World" on the Nintendo Switch. We are planning to develop a "Monster Hunter" that can be enjoyed by junior and senior high school students, and look forward to future developments.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I'm not confident on them pulling out a MH on Switch at this point and this declaration makes it sound like it will be on mobile, which is probably what appeals the most on middle/high school students, I suppose (judging by how gacha are appreciated around there)

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
So between Dusk basically confirming something, the years of rumours and the QA I guess it really is just a matter of time now. I'll be dammed, I had already given up.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Makes sense if you remember how those games used to be consumed. Monster Hunter was primarily a local multiplayer thing, where students would play before and after school, or during commutes. World being a home console pretty much changed when and where those games are played, and probably who plays it as a result. Moving it to home consoles shifted the audience to slightly older PS4 demographic. Capcom isn't going to leave money on the table if they think they can still cater to both groups. If they play their cards right, they can even get a chunk of them to buy both.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
To me it does sound possible to be Monster Hunter Switch. I'm curious if they will try to differentiate it from World somehow, maybe a gimmick or different art style. For sure it will have some kind of different subtitle at least.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017

www.capcom.co.jp

カプコンの定時株主総会について掲載しています。

Q: I would like to ask about the expansion of "Monster Hunter: World" to Nintendo Switch. Also, I would like you to once again sell "Monster Hunter" that high school students can enjoy.

A: Currently, we are not planning to deploy "Monster Hunter: World" on the Nintendo Switch. We are planning to develop a "Monster Hunter" that can be enjoyed by junior and senior high school students, and look forward to future developments.

Only juniors and seniors. If we catch any of you freshmen playing, you're getting a one-way ticket to swirly town.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

www.capcom.co.jp

カプコンの定時株主総会について掲載しています。

It doesnt get much clearer than that unless they would wanna spoil the announcement of a upcoming press conference or Nintendo Direct.

MH Switch is big release and i would have expected the unveiling at this years e3 Direct if Covid didnt mess up the plans.

To me it does sound possible to be Monster Hunter Switch. I'm curious if they will try to differentiate it from World somehow, maybe a gimmick or different art style. For sure it will have some kind of different subtitle at least.
Its not like they never done stuff like this before, having a portable/sub series alongside the mainline MH games is something they have been doing for the last 15 years more or less.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
mh switch, nice. and thankfully sounds like a new game and not a port of world
it always seemed like such an obvious move but so many people didn't want it to happen said it won't happen...
And going at least by this thread some of these same people clearly have no issue with a mobile MH, despite always saying a new Switch MH must not will not happen because it will be a "waste of resources". And even though they will not touch a mobile version with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Can't wait for more portable MonHun. Have finally almost exhausted MHGU after two years of play.

Onilink

Oct 30, 2017
And that is the demographic that the science nobels at Capcom management sees on Switch.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
The combination of "MH on Switch? No plans" being followed by "MH for kids? Yes plans" kills me for some reason lol

Edit: Ahh, they are strictly talking about World for Switch.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
A high school aimed MH sounds like either MH mobile and MH Switch. Here's hoping it's the latter. It'd be a Smash hit in Japan if they made it a big effort, quite possibly doing 4M. That alone should give some good ROI, and then the Western sales won't be a slouch, either. The financial case is there - especially since this is not an either/or between this and MHW2, of course.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
A high school aimed MH sounds like either MH mobile and MH Switch. Here's hoping it's the latter. It'd be a Smash hit in Japan if they made it a big effort, quite possibly doing 4M. That alone should give some good ROI, and then the Western sales won't be a slouch, either. The financial case is there - especially since this is not an either/or between this and MHW2, of course.

If it's a proper MH switch and not something like MH stories 4 million is the floor in Japan IMO. Game will be huge.