• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is this a tease for Classic Resident Evil Ports?

• Yes

Votes: 198 38.8%
  • No

Votes: 312 61.2%

• Total voters

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
What other could they possibly do but carry on with the countdown with the numbered games in the series? I mean, it's not like they'd announce a HD collection with the stream a few days out. I would kinda assume they'd show something RE4 themed for the count down either way.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Even if these aren't happening, I think between this thread, twitter, and elsewhere on the internet. The lack of the classic titles being ported really just sticks out more and more.

You have Capcom porting the likes of every Megaman game and even DMC 2, but 3 classic titles in your biggest series is apparently not viable enough?
Just seems like an odd mindset when they're actively losing out on money from all the people who end up just playing the HD fan ports on PC (Which are played quite often I might add).

Yeah, it's very, very odd. It's their most obvious money left on the table titles, and not having them easily accessible just drives people to other avenues that doesn't see them any revenue. I wish I understood the reasoning behind it.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
Also Code Veronica is only aviable on Xbox, the emulation of ps2 classics is really low quality on CVX

A classic collection and a port CVXHD would be fantastic

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah, it's very, very odd. It's their most obvious money left on the table titles, and not having them easily accessible just drives people to other avenues that doesn't see them any revenue. I wish I understood the reasoning behind it.

I really feel like it's the dogmatic belief for publishers that PS1/Saturn-Era games are too ugly to present in the modern day. It would take some effort to re-do UI and AI upres backgrounds, and that's already too much resources for that era of games. I'm surprised Onimusha even got a remaster, even then I played it after I had played the seamless HD mod on RE2, and it was difficult to readjust to super soft looking blown up sd backgrounds.

Samus95

Jun 18, 2020
All the comments on capcom anniversary tweets are about a classica collection....and insulting RE3 Remake

Oct 27, 2017
All the comments on capcom anniversary tweets are about a classica collection....and insulting RE3 Remake
tenor.gif

Capcom needs to give us a good remake of 3. New Jill, Carlos and the gameplay itself were wasted on it.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I really feel like it's the dogmatic belief for publishers that PS1/Saturn-Era games are too ugly to present in the modern day. It would take some effort to re-do UI and AI upres backgrounds, and that's already too much resources for that era of games. I'm surprised Onimusha even got a remaster, even then I played it after I had played the seamless HD mod on RE2, and it was difficult to readjust to super soft looking blown up sd backgrounds.

Yeah, possibly, I can see why higher-ups at Capcom might feel that way about direct ports. But I still kinda love their low-rez look and the way those games feel to play, and the blurry pre-rendered backgrounds. I'd personally be fine repaying for even straight ports in a collection if it would save me the hassle of getting my PS3 set up to play them.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah, possibly, I can see why higher-ups at Capcom might feel that way about direct ports. But I still kinda love their low-rez look and the way those games feel to play, and the blurry pre-rendered backgrounds. I'd personally be fine repaying for even straight ports in a collection if it would save me the hassle of getting my PS3 set up to play them.

I agree with you. I would be 100% fine just having an SD collection of the first three games if it meant having them available for posterity on steam, switch, and xb---because the way they are now, they are just getting more and more inaccessible as PSone classics on PS3.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
A remake of the original with the engine and gameplay of the RE2 remake would be just bliss.

At one point, I could've seen a RE-REmake to bring it more in line with the visual fidelity of 2 and 3 Remake, but knowing that they're working on a 4 Remake instead makes me feel Capcom is more than happy with the Gamecube version, at least for the time being. Justified choice if that's the case though, REmake is still great.

Except for that one part where you have to UN-crank the garden walkway to change the water pressure and access the path behind the waterfall, I always forget that un-cranking it is even an option and spend about an hour running around forgetting what I'm meant to even be doing

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think in general, the RE twitter leans heavy into the nostolgia, which is really against the brand considering more and more players aren't going to have any idea about master of unlocking or Jill sandwiches or whatever.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
I don't want to go as far as to say the dream is totally dead today if RE4 is shown, almost certainly it will, but it will temper me back down hard

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
You can already play any of the PSX games with RetroArch on Series S/X with CRT filters that make the games look awesome on a 4K TV. Hell, you can probably emulate the DC versions too with Flycast core. I tried to play RE3 GameCube version with Dolphin core but the game didn't work that well. Could be my settings, tho.

Here are a few quick 4K screenshots I just took from the PSX version of RE2 with CRT-Royale shader (you can see all the CRT shader details when zooming in):

17.1.2021_14.23.04-1r5oj68.png

17.1.2021_14.23.25-cnkejxp.png

17.1.2021_14.22.32-vc8fj66.png

If CRT-Royale is not your thing, there are plenty of other shaders to choose from.

Oct 27, 2017
You can already play any of the PSX games with RetroArch on Series S/X with CRT filters that make the games look awesome on a 4K TV. Hell, you can probably emulate the DC versions too with Flycast core. I tried to play RE3 GameCube version with Dolphin core but the game didn't work that well. Could be my settings, tho.

Here are a few quick 4K screenshots I just took from the PSX version of RE2 with CRT-Royale shader (you can see all the CRT shader details when zooming in):

17.1.2021_14.23.04-1r5oj68.png

17.1.2021_14.23.25-cnkejxp.png

17.1.2021_14.22.32-vc8fj66.png

If CRT-Royale is not your thing, there are plenty of other shaders to choose from.
This looks so damn good.

I wish I could play PS1 games on the Vita with this filter. The games already look great on it but this filter makes it go the extra mile.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
That CRT filter looks awful compared to the real thing, lol.

Also this is very clearly just them counting down to the showcase.

Today: "No need to buy a ticket, stranger! The #REShowcase is on the house in four days!"
Tomorrow: "Grab a friend and tune into the #REShowcase on Thursday! See you in three days!"
Tuesday: "Don't lose hope! We'll be broadcasting the #REShowcase worldwide in two days!"
Wednesday: "We're thrilled to welcome you into our family. Tomorrow, we'll serve up a fresh #REShowcase!"

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
That CRT filter looks awful compared to the real thing, lol.

Also this is very clearly just them counting down to the showcase.

Today: "No need to buy a ticket, stranger! The #REShowcase is on the house in four days!"
Tomorrow: "Grab a friend and tune into the #REShowcase on Thursday! See you in three days!"
Tuesday: "Don't lose hope! We'll be broadcasting the #REShowcase worldwide in two days!"
Wednesday: "We're thrilled to welcome you into our family. Tomorrow, we'll serve up a fresh #REShowcase!"

You mean the game without any filters, lol? I can send you a 4K screenshot without any filters and you can tell me that looks better. But whatever floats your boat.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
You mean the game without any filters, lol? I can send you a 4K screenshot without any filters and you can tell me that looks better. But whatever floats your boat.
I meant that CRT filters aren't a replacement for a real CRT. Playing RE2 and 3 on a CRT monitor via VGA on Dreamcast is a godly experience. :P

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I'm gonna second not being a fan of that filter. It looks like someone got REALLY bored in a particularly long maths class and decided to make the most elaborate graph paper doodle of all time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Only time I want to see RE1 remade (again!) is if its VR in first person. RE7 showed off how amazing the series can be in VR, and I'd love to experience the Spencer Mansion again, this time with VR for added immersion. It'd probably feel like a brand new experience.
But otherwise? Not exactly an exciting prospect... RE REmake has aged incredibly well in my eyes, still looks damn pretty as well. If that were announced my thoughts would be like with the RE4 remake as in "what bits will be cut out of the game". Maybe its because REmake 3 soured me a bit or because I want more brand new games as opposed to constant remakes, but after seeing some of my favourite parts of 3 removed (or bastardised) I can't exactly say I'm all too excited to see what they'd do to RE1 given the chance. REmake 2 I also had issues with certain cuts, but those felt less substantial than what was pulled with 3.

Not to say a VR version of 1 wouldn't have similar cuts but I'd be more forgiving since the VR experience would more than compensate if they went 3/3 on cutting spiders out of the game (not quite sure how they'd do that though, what with one whole part of the game being a spider lair...)

Oct 27, 2017
Only time I want to see RE1 remade (again!) is if its VR in first person. RE7 showed off how amazing the series can be in VR, and I'd love to experience the Spencer Mansion again, this time with VR for added immersion. It'd probably feel like a brand new experience.
But otherwise? Not exactly an exciting prospect... RE REmake has aged incredibly well in my eyes, still looks damn pretty as well. If that were announced my thoughts would be like with the RE4 remake as in "what bits will be cut out of the game". Maybe its because REmake 3 soured me a bit or because I want more brand new games as opposed to constant remakes, but after seeing some of my favourite parts of 3 removed (or bastardised) I can't exactly say I'm all too excited to see what they'd do to RE1 given the chance.

Not to say a VR version of 1 wouldn't have similar cuts but I'd be more forgiving since the VR experience would more than compensate if they went 3/3 on cutting spiders out of the game (not quite sure how they'd do that though, what with one whole part of the game being a spider lair...)
imagine Yawn or Neptune in FP view in VR...

That would be intense as hell.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
imagine Yawn or Neptune in FP view in VR...

That would be intense as hell.
Yeah exactly, would be a sight to behold. Honestly though I was just thinking of exploring the mansion in VR, especially if they changed up the jump scares to make things unpredictable. One of the best parts in 7 was just exploring the Baker estate and soaking in that atmosphere, I could only imagine what a next gen VR experience RE1 could be if done well.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah exactly, would be a sight to behold. Honestly though I was just thinking of exploring the mansion in VR, especially if they changed up the jump scares to make things unpredictable. One of the best parts in 7 was just exploring the Baker estate and soaking in that atmosphere, I could only imagine what a next gen VR experience RE1 could be if done well.
Agreed.

Like imagine that part where you go to the bathroom and have to empty the bath. That part is memorable to me for some reason but being up close and seeing what nasty stuff is inside it could make it very disgusting and great.

So many parts in 1 could be interesting with today tech, let alone in first person.

RE1 already got a perfect remake so if they decided to do something new but interesting with it I wouldn't mind.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna second not being a fan of that filter. It looks like someone got REALLY bored in a particularly long maths class and decided to make the most elaborate graph paper doodle of all time.

CRT-Royale is one the most, if not the most, respected CRT shaders on RetroArch. Maybe PSX RE games don't do it justice? Or my screenshots just suck. At least on my OLED games look phenomenal.

Here are some 4K screenshots of the RE2 Dreamcast version (works perfectly with rumble and all that), emulated on Flycast core on Series X (CRT-Royale doesn't work with OpenGL driver which is used on DC emulation so I chose CRT-Lottes shader):

17.1.2021_16.06.43-23y7jic.png

17.1.2021_16.06.52-zsjsjqy.png

17.1.2021_16.06.28-u4zykjt.png

Oct 27, 2017
CRT-Royale is one the most, if not the most, respected CRT shaders on RetroArch. Maybe PSX RE games don't do it justice? Or my screenshots just suck. At least on my OLED games look phenomenal.

Here are some 4K screenshots of the RE2 Dreamcast version (works perfectly with rumble and all that), emulated on Flycast core on Series X (CRT-Royale doesn't work with OpenGL driver which is used on DC emulation so I chose CRT-Lottes shader):

17.1.2021_16.06.43-23y7jic.png

17.1.2021_16.06.52-zsjsjqy.png

17.1.2021_16.06.28-u4zykjt.png
The best part about these crt filters is how close they are to the original experience. They look really clean and just like I remember.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Those crt filters do look great. Way better than the stock ones that come with most emulated titles these days. I wonder sometimes why publishers and developers that handle remasters seem to lag behind the curve with things like that and AI upresing for textures.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
Those crt filters do look great. Way better than the stock ones that come with most emulated titles these days. I wonder sometimes why publishers and developers that handle remasters seem to lag behind the curve with things like that and AI upresing for textures.

That and the input lag which is most of the time horrible. E.g. Megaman X Legaxy Collection, that was pure trash input lag wise. With the right latency reducing settings, on RetroArch you can run some titles with less input lag than the original version.

Oct 27, 2017
Just yesterday I started playing the RE3 Seamless HD project and it is awesome. I would love to play something like that but oficially
I wanted to play this one but I couldn't get my PS4 controller to work with vibrations for some reason. It would be great if Capcom could give us something similar but natively.

The game looks really good with it. All it would need is updated models and they basically have a remaster.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much work would be involved in using the remake's character and enemy models and drawing up some entirely new prerendered backgrounds, but keeping the gameplay identical to the original games. 🤔

Bengraven