texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Not just this game. The poster puts a positive spin on everything Nintendo focused and a negative one on anything that isn't. Then they deleted most of their old posts when others started noticing the agenda. It's probably someone's alt account.
Wait, people would go that far in the name of console wars? YIKES.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Why would legs matter for a game that isn't planning monetizing on DLCs or having a subscription? The bulk of the profits comes from buying the game meaning that's the only metric of success, all this talk of 'legs' is just muddying the water.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
not wrong but the wording implies thats the Target for the FY (since Release up to march) and not the LTS target they expect, which some people believe is more in the 10M
As the development cost of each of our titles is distributed across the title's lifetime unit sales target, we will recognize a portion of MHW's total cost of development proportionate to its Q4 sales.

I'm gonna lose it guys, how do you sell an additional 400k if a game doesn't have legs? Do some of you even read the OP before posting shit?
from 7.9M in 2 months to 400K in the next 3, that is a 95% Sharp Dive in sales. Monster hunter games tend to soar a little more rather that work on spikes.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Why would legs matter for a game that isn't planning monetizing on DLCs or having a subscription? The bulk of the profits comes from buying the game meaning that's the only metric of success, all this talk of 'legs' is just muddying the water.
1) that was the trend by previous monster hunter.
2) it implies a risk factor that game sold cause a novelty but failed to grab the people attention beyond that point that could result is lower early sales of future entrances.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
They did tried a Console MH a lot several times. World success is personally is based on graphics, proper marketing, and in a sense, Timing, as much as I dont like that Trend, Dark Souls really became meme for "its hard but its good" so calling MHW as "Dark Souls with Dinosaurs" was the right choice for some.

that being said althought it had a records breaking launch for Capcom, it also didnt have the legs previous games did (400K "only" in Q1 post release). but not that it will hinder its 10M goal given PC release has like several millions already is pre-order only

4 - 6M IIRC
What ? It's successful first because of its modernized gameplay, and seamless map combined with immersive graphics. You are overrating things like marketing and timing.

It's successful because people loved the beta and wanted more. I tried a 3DS demo of MH before, and I certainly didn't want more of the same awful controls, ancient gameplay and small areas.

After reading this thread I really need some potassium.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
from 7.9M in 2 months to 400K in the next 3, that is a 95% Sharp Dive in sales. Monster hunter games tend to soar a little more rather that work on spikes.
Those 2 month sales are also from legs as it didn't sell 8 million in one day or even the first month, you're also talking about Japan only, we already know the legs aren't as good as the older titles there, but WW? No one can say that, you also have to take into account the game already sold double of what the franchise was usually doing.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
1) that was the trend by previous monster hunter.
2) it implies a risk factor that game sold cause a novelty but failed to grab the people attention beyond that point that could result is lower early sales of future entrances.

Unlikely. MHW has a majority positive response, people will come back.

Just like they came back for all those other niche Japanese games that people never thought would succeed twice.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Made a quick and dirty chart of this legs-case.

rPkj7c8.png

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Those 2 month sales are also from legs as it didn't sell 8 million in one day or even the first month
from what I undertand Legs is sales beyond the release 1-2 months.

you're also talking about Japan only
what?. from 7.9M to 400K is the world wide.

you also have to take into account the game already sold double of what the franchise was usually doing.
this is true too but

Unlikely. MHW has a majority positive response, people will come back.

Just like they came back for all those other niche Japanese games that people never thought would succeed twice.
there is always the possibility that the decline in sales for MHW was simply people sitting out of buying the PS4 and waiting for PC (seems like the case going by PC pre-orders).
I still think part of the sale were due to Novelty Factor, Plausible MHW 2 will still sell incredible well but I doubt it will repeat the success of current MHW

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that. From what i've gathered, the main criticizm around Monster Hunter World has been the lack of end game content. Theres nothing that really indicated that people wont be interested in upcoming titles because of this.

Pablo Mesa

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
I doubt that. From what i've gathered, the main criticizm around Monster Hunter World has been the lack of end game content. Theres nothing that really indicated that people wont be interested in upcoming titles because of this.
maybe it will be a detriment for the people that was expecting to sink more time on it?? post above I mentioned that sales dive might be due to people sitting out of PS4 waiting for the PC port.
anyway is not a set on stone rule, its a Schrodinger Box that will only open whenever the next games release and we see the reception for it

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
There is literally no excuse for MH fans to not be united

We are living in the best case scenario for both playstyles

Whats it going to take to break the spell. Console future is secured and evolving and did they not just announce that they planned the next portable version as well

Can we like... move forward?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
From now on I think all mainline monster Hunter will be designed around consoles first and spin offs will go to handhelds.this is an amazing result for Capcom .

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can see Capcom waiting for PC launch and maybe Oct or Nov they talk G-Rank expansion. Maybe for a Jan or Feb launch 2019. Would prefer sooner than later tbh. The quicker they get out of the handheld cycle of recycling the previous game, adding G or X and reselling it, the better.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
That's absolutely insane that Monster Huter World sold that much.

This is now officially one of the top franchises in terms of sales. No more niche :)

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Whats it going to take to break the spell. Console future is secured and evolving and did they not just announce that they planned the next portable version as well

It'll be like this forever. Just ask RE fans.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you understand that MH was an annual franchise? Capcom released new and updated games almost every year, and they were making bank. I don't believe people on Xbox One and PS4 gonna buy millions of copies of re-releases and games based on World every year. They sold World to the new audience, and now the novelty is gone, sales are dropped like a rock, legs are terrible. Again, good luck with selling almost the same game every year on high end HD platforms.
When the world is not enough.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017

Exactly what I said when MHW was first announced. The success of this can only mean more MH for all. I'd call into question any supposed "MH Fan" that puts platform before the game.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Agreed. What we do need is some form of the series appearing with crossplay. If they launched World as the High end fancy MH and a classic handheld MH, they should launch the classic also as a download on home consoles with crossplay.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope DmC:DE shows up in the updated platinum titles page, would be great to know it sold over 1 million copies.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Capcom waiting for PC launch and maybe Oct or Nov they talk G-Rank expansion. Maybe for a Jan or Feb launch 2019. Would prefer sooner than later tbh. The quicker they get out of the handheld cycle of recycling the previous game, adding G or X and reselling it, the better.
I' don't think there's going to be a G version, but if there was I would expect it to get announced sooner than that.

Agreed. What we do need is some form of the series appearing with crossplay. If they launched World as the High end fancy MH and a classic handheld MH, they should launch the classic also as a download on home consoles with crossplay.
Sony wouldn't allow that.

Exactly what I said when MHW was first announced. The success of this can only mean more MH for all. I'd call into question any supposed "MH Fan" that puts platform before the game.
When MHW was first announced Capcom said they had no plans to bring MHXX to the west, which is one of the reasons why you had fans of the portable games annoyed.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Capcom did a poor job of communicating that. The way they handled XX waz extremely poor. Pretty much the reason I'm not buying vanilla MH anymore despite being day one for the last like 10 years.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Remake is looking GOAT game tier too. CAPGOD is really back

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao @ some trying to downplay MHW's success.

I can't wait to dive into the game when it comes out on PC.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
I am glad my chalkboard continues to remain relevant because insane people continue to debate an 8.3 million selling game that is about to release on PC to great pre-orders and has been in the NPD's top twenty for half a year 'doesn't have legs'.

Spiegel

Oct 26, 2017
not wrong but the wording implies thats the Target for the FY (since Release up to march) and not the LTS target they expect, which some people believe is more in the 10M

I know it's the target for the FY, you can read that on my quote

And if "some people" (who exactly?) believe Capcom had a target of less than 5M for the first FY and 10 million LTD I have to question their knowledge on the subject.

The Famitsu chief saying that MHW has the potential to sell 10M doesn't mean the company expects sales anywhere near that amount.

CrusoeCMYK

Oct 25, 2017
When MHW was first announced Capcom said they had no plans to bring MHXX to the west, which is one of the reasons why you had fans of the portable games annoyed.

I feel like MHXX not being announced at the time had to do with the build-up to MHW. Also, I understand preferring to play the series on a portable, but that doesn't equate to denigrating or downplaying the success of titles that don't see a portable iteration, it's just sad. MH will always see some form of portable release as it's the catalyst for it's success. It's just pathetic how people were acting towards Capcom and MHW because they haven't heard anything about portable MH in a minute.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
So now that MHW is a certified success and has surpassed even the wildest of expectations, it seems that the latest, trendiest way to discredit it is to claim it has no legs.

Even if that were true... THE GAME HAS SOLD 8.3 MILLION COPIES! And most of those sales would be front-loaded too if you're gonna abide by the 'no-legs' narrative, so it sold a buttload of copies at full price.

And to think people are still trying to spin this game as a failure in some way or another. Unbelievable.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like MHXX not being announced at the time had to do with the build-up to MHW. Also, I understand preferring to play the series on a portable, but that doesn't equate to denigrating or downplaying the success of titles that don't see a portable iteration, it's just sad. MH will always see some form of portable release as it's the catalyst for it's success, it's just pathetic how people were acting towards Capcom and MHW because they haven't heard anything about portable MH in a minute.
People were upset for various reasons and are now too committed to change.The game is going to at the very least sell more than double the previous best selling game in the series either way.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Who would have thought that in 2018 Monster Hunter would be hitting hard in North America

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Seems with more discounts, bit more maintained support, and the PC version it will easily reach 9mil and probably 10 mil by april next year.

Amazing. Great game. Cant wait to see them go all out for world 2