• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Goddamn, RE7 & SFV just keep on climbing. Congrats to both games & the folks involved. DMC5 is doing great as well.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DMC4:SE outsold DmC:DE? Didn't DmC come out first? Man, fans really just preferred the original stuff, huh? I liked the reboot okay for what it was, but you can tell what the people really wanted with that franchise. Really dedicated fanbase there
DMC4SE and DmC DE came out around the same time. I would say both were quite successful.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame they wasted time and money making an inferior knockoff and we had to wait 11 years for a proper sequel.

The reason for the long wait was because making DMC4 was a draining experience and the devs didn't want to make another for a long time. The western reboot was just a way to fill that void. The game was quite good, especially the Definitive Edition--which I think is one of the top games of the franchise--and even Itsuno himself liked the game a lot. The fact is, we almost had a sequel based on its lifetime performance, so it wasn't a wasted effort.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, good on Resident Evil 7! It was definitely a breath of fresh air coming off of 6. Very much looking forward to Resident Evil 8!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I thought there was a two month gap between them or something? And DMC4 was digital-only iirc
A few months is pretty much around the same. It was always expected that DMC4SE would do better though, it had more hype behind it because it was like a revival of sorts. Both games did well though, as a DMC fan I am happy with the consistent success of the franchise.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
People laughed at 5 to 7 million, let alone the analyst who predicted 10 million. It's at 22 million now.
KnXqhCP.png

It was this, but with less catgirls in most place.
😂

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I wonder if RE7 and Gold is combined but RE5 isn't due to the former releasing in the same year whereas the Gold Edition of RE7 released in the same year. Granted one month before it would have been a year since release.

Still, happy to see RE7 at the top.

Edit: Or wait...

Is RE5 Gold not counted cause technically it got a Shield Android TV port along with the Gold Edition? If so, lol.

You might be right actually lol, one hell of a way to not include it

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy, I did not expect that of RE7. Maybe I should finally sit down and play it. Would be really hard to dethrone REmake2 for me though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
MHW2 is gonna sell like fucking crazy once all is said and done

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
A few months is pretty much around the same. It was always expected that DMC4SE would do better though, it had more hype behind it because it was like a revival of sorts. Both games did well though, as a DMC fan I am happy with the consistent success of the franchise.

Two months isn't a super long time, but I would still think it'd sell more based on that. That is fair, though, I didn't think about it like that.

The reason for the long wait was because making DMC4 was a draining experience and the devs didn't want to make another for a long time. The western reboot was just a way to fill that void. The game was quite good, especially the Definitive Edition--which I think is one of the top games of the franchise--and even Itsuno himself liked the game a lot. The fact is, we almost had a sequel based on its lifetime performance, so it wasn't a wasted effort.

What? Is that true? They did a full reboot of the series just to fill a void? That seems unlikely to me. So they planned to have the reboot and original series running at the same time?

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
REmake 2 will so take the crown.

Pretty apt too since it's an excellent middle ground between action RE and classic RE. Basically action RE gunplay in a classic RE campaign.

Also, Dragon's Dogma easily has the potential to become Capcom's next big series if they give DD2 the proper attention/budget.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It's kind of amazing that DmC:DE took this long to reach 1 million. How much has DMC4:SE sold in comparison?

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
So happy to see RE7 sold so well. It's an absolutely incredible game, one of my favorites this generation and arguably my favorite RE game. Just outstanding and the first half is legit terrifying.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
REmake 2 will so take the crown.

Pretty apt too since it's an excellent middle ground between action RE and classic RE.

Also, Dragon's Dogma easily has the potential to become Capcom's next big series if they give DD2 the proper attention/budget.
Im with you on that, I want RE2 to even slightly kick RE7's ass so we can get more of that style which is objectively better for many very good reasons that are cool

Deleted member 61002

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2019

In 2014/2015 when they were in the planning phase DmC was still at 1.3 to 1.5 million when they wanted 2 million in 3 months. I'm sure Itsuno WANTED to make a DmC 2, I have no doubt. But there's a reason we ended up with DMC 5.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Two months isn't a super long time, but I would still think it'd sell more based on that. That is fair, though, I didn't think about it like that.

What? Is that true? They did a full reboot of the series just to fill a void? That seems unlikely to me. So they planned to have the reboot and original series running at the same time?

When I say void, I mean they wanted to make a DMC game when there was an audience for it. After DMC4, a lot of Capcom talent left and Itsuno went on to make Dragon's Dogma, so they weren't in any position to make a DMC5 game if they wanted to at the time. Also, Inafune was then pushing hard for a western approach to games. So Devil May Cry having a reboot from Ninja Theory seemed like a good way to provide a different type of DMC game.

But given that DmC2 was a possibility up until a couple years ago as DMC5 was in the works, yes, they were down to have both DMC and DmC be a thing.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Im with you on that, I want RE2 to even slightly kick RE7's ass so we can get more of that style which is objectively better for many very good reasons that are cool
No they aren't, the next major Resident Evil is FIRST PERSON already.

You action Resident Evil Lost. Accept it.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
When I say void, I mean they wanted to make a DMC game when there was an audience for it. After DMC4, a lot of Capcom talent left and Itsuno went on to make Dragon's Dogma, so they weren't in any position to make a DMC5 game if they wanted to at the time. Also, Inafune was then pushing hard for a western approach to games. So Devil May Cry having a reboot from Ninja Theory seemed like a good way to provide a different type of DMC game

But given that DmC2 was a possibility up until a couple years ago as DMC5 was in the works, yes, they were down to have both DMC and DmC be a thing.

You have links to any of this? Kind of doesn't make a lot of sense to me, especially with how they presented the reboot

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Not true. Itsuno was prepping for 4SE and DMC5 at the time. DmC happened because Capcom wanted to go in a different direction with the series.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
No they aren't, the next major Resident Evil is FIRST PERSON already.

You action Resident Evil Lost. Accept it.

I mean, he's talking RE2Make, which is hardly action RE lol. And look at the sales. That game is going to easily outpace 7 when it's all said and done and it's not even had any major re-releases yet like 7. So who needs to accept what now?

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
I think DMC series selling good in general bodes well for its future. Especially DmC:DE finally getting passed a million hopefully signals to Capcom Special Editions are worth it so give us DMC5:SE please..

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean, he's talking RE2Make, which is hardly action RE lol. And look at the sales. That game is going to easily outpace 7 when it's all said and done and it's not even had any major re-releases yet like 7. So who needs to accept what now?
Survival Horror Resident Evil. It's far removed from the likes of 5 and 6.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

All the recent REs except 3make have sold 7m+ so clearly there's room for different varieties.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think DMC series selling good in general bodes well for its future. Especially DmC:DE finally getting passed a million hopefully signals to Capcom Special Editions are worth it so give us DMC5:SE please..

Never mind 5SE. I want spin-offs. I want Miles Morales/Lost Legacy-style semi-sequels. I want Ladies Night.

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of off-topic, but after seeing those Monster Hunter World I now understand why those Animal Crossing sales are a huge deal.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Years and years of people saying do a big budget MH.... and it was a fucking flop.

Jking. LOL