• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Going to treat myself with some steak for dinner.

More seriously, happy to see this success because despite spending more than 100 hours on MHW last year, I won't jump again with Iceborne. I know it's great, I know I would have fun, but it's a matter of timing (this expansion is really really late) and managing gaming time for new games in priority.

NvewjLt.jpg

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll leave it up for posterity but suffice, I was being stupid:

That's terrible retention (and/or awareness of the release) unless it picks up rapidly, but you'd think an expansion would be far more front-loaded.

No that's everything.

I just wanted to say that I respect the fact that you not only edited your post but also left it up. Alot of members just drive by or double down.

Deleted member 19767

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

More seriously, happy to see this success because despite spending more than 100 hours on MHW last year, I won't jump again with Iceborne. I know it's great, I know I would have fun, but it's a matter of timing (this expansion is really really late) and managing gaming time for new games in priority.

NvewjLt.jpg
Don't be that guy. Be one of us.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now learn how to hunt Velkhana and Vaal Hazak!!!

NvewjLt.jpg

Man get the real game now. Iceborne is what World needed to be at the end. We miss you hunter.

That's not how it works. It has to be separate as a huge chunk will be people buying the expansion.

You know they released a new edition with World and Iceborne included, right? Then it works out.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
That's not how it works. It has to be separate as a huge chunk will be people buying the expansion.
i dont think he was counting how many people bought MHW, i assume that iceborne's current price falls into roughly the sales average of most games, so in terms of revenue, its like they shipped this many copies.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Hope there will be a time down the line where MH sales thread don't immediately turn into some corny catfight.

Fact is MHW did very well - so did expansions last generation on 3DS. People love to downplay the 3DS numbers because MHW was massive, but the number of MH games Capcom sold last gen was pretty high as well.

He already admitted that he was off....I think it's okay to let that one go now xD
Its the other way round. This thread started with "that great capcom" and then came "thats not great they almost did that in japan with g versions earlier" quickly. People don't downplay 3ds sales. Would be nice to stop with false narratives.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Its the other way round. This thread started with "that great capcom" and then came "thats not great they almost did that in japan with g versions earlier" quickly. People don't downplay 3ds sales. Would be nice to stop with false narratives.
Commenting on past expansions is legit when comparing the performance. MHW base for example had a much bigger start than past games - with the expansion sales seems to be more in line with what past expansions.

When people say it's not great they probably expected the expansion to outdo the past generation the way the made MHW did....which just wasn't that realistic.

Don't really care about narratives since it's not needed - MH was a success last gen and is a success this gen - Capcom knows what they are doing with the IP and the sales prove it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
For an expansion, that's bonkers. Grats Capcom.

That's terrible retention (and/or awareness of the release) unless it picks up rapidly, but you'd think an expansion would be far more front-loaded.
Retention concern is definitely a new one, pretty good creativity.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 1.715.060 / NEW <91,96%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 1.446.289 / NEW <85,40%>

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 1.488.367 / NEW <91,84%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 848.467 / NEW <72,39%>

It's obviously not a straight comparison(comparing Japan only physical vs Worldwide mostly digital) but if Iceborne debuted to 2.5m vs Monster Hunter World's 5m(in the same timeframe) that is a slightly lower ratio than MHX to MHXX so if someone said that's lower than they expected given the more favourable release conditions, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

That doesn't mean it's a cause for concern or anything because the raw numbers are quite obviously so much higher. I would even say that considering the massive explosion in popularity MHW saw that a lower ratio would be expected for the next release.

I think it says a lot about you than Vena if you took his post as some kind of attack.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Commenting on past expansions is legit when comparing the performance. MHW base for example had a much bigger start than past games - with the expansion sales seems to be more in line with what past expansions.

When people say it's not great they probably expected the expansion to outdo the past generation the way the made MHW did....which just wasn't that realistic.

Don't really care about narratives since it's not needed - MH was a success last gen and is a success this gen - Capcom knows what they are doing with the IP and the sales prove it.
I was saying people didnt bring 3ds sales here. The only people who did went to say iceborne sales arent so good. So the whole 3ds sales being talked down which you claimed is untrue. You went from stating something to saying bringing it up is legit...

Nonetheless iceborne sold more than any mh expansion 1st week and its not out on pc which is its second biggest platform after ps4.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
When comparing with MH4Gs 2 Million in 5 days PR from Capcom, keep in mind that Icebourne is a multiplatform worldwide release, while 4Gs 2million refer only to Japan and 3DS.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I was saying people didnt bring 3ds sales here. The only people who did went to say iceborne sales arent so good. So the whole 3ds sales being talked down which you claimed is untrue. You went from stating something to saying bringing it up is legit...

Nonetheless iceborne sold more than any mh expansion 1st week and its not out on pc which is its second biggest platform after ps4.
The 3DS numbers are being downplayed because people perceive them being brought up as an attack against Icebornes performance.....when in fact these games sold great and Iceborne being above them - even if not as much as MHW was compared to base past games - is still a great result.

When you just compare how much main games and expansions sold in the past, it's not difficult to see why not everyone might immediately call those numbers amazing. MHW sold much better than past titles on a massive install base - so expecting the expansion to also sell much better than past expansions isn't that crazy. At least as an initial thought.

When comparing with MH4Gs 2 Million in 5 days PR from Capcom, keep in mind that Icebourne is a multiplatform worldwide release, while 4Gs 2million refer only to Japan and 3DS.
Pretty much this.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I wish I could grab it but I have my fill with MHW , i'm day 1 with the sequel next gen though.

Well at least the "concern" is on full swing again, sucks that it skips the "it's not gonna be on console" part but we can't really do that lol

Oct 25, 2017
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2013.09.14} (¥5.990) - 1.715.060 / NEW <91,96%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate # <ACT> (Capcom) {2014.10.11} (¥6.264) - 1.446.289 / NEW <85,40%>

01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter X # <ACT> (Capcom) {2015.11.28} (¥6.264) - 1.488.367 / NEW <91,84%>
01./00. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom) {2017.03.18} (¥5.800) - 848.467 / NEW <72,39%>

It's obviously not a straight comparison(comparing Japan only physical vs Worldwide mostly digital) but if Iceborne debuted to 2.5m vs Monster Hunter World's 5m(in the same timeframe) that is a slightly lower ratio than MHX to MHXX so if someone said that's lower than they expected given the more favourable release conditions, I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

That doesn't mean it's a cause for concern or anything because the raw numbers are quite obviously so much higher. I would even say that considering the massive explosion in popularity MHW saw that a lower ratio would be expected for the next release.

I think it says a lot about you than Vena if you took his post as some kind of attack.
The keyword is "terrible".

Not underwhelming. Not disappointing. Not below personal expectations. Terrible. Even if you think these numbers for Iceborne aren't great, there isn't anything remotely terrible about this performance (especially so with the PC context).

Sure, you could lump it into "poor word choice" but this isn't anything new with MHW threads (or MC threads discussing MHW) either. The intent was pretty clear and it is played out and tired.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao wow okay be you man
Just trying to explain where the impression is coming from - no need to be so childish about it even if you disagree.

Seems like discussions aren't possible anymore when it comes to MH commercial performance since I can state multiple times in the thread that those are great numbers and a success - while still understand why some people that are not that invested might have expected bigger numbers from an expansion just based in what past expansions sold.

PS4/XBO >>>>>> 3DS
MHW >>>>>>> MH4
MHIB >>> MH4G/U

That's all people are pointing out. There are obv. reasons why the difference on expansions isn't as big as for the main game, but the numbers are closer than the difference we had between the main releases.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just trying to explain where the impression is coming from - no need to be so childish about it even if you disagree.

Seems like discussions aren't possible anymore when it comes to MH commercial performance since I can state multiple times in the thread that those are great numbers and a success - while still understand why some people that are not that invested might have expected bigger numbers from an expansion just based in what past expansions sold.

PS4/XBO >>>>>> 3DS
MHW >>>>>>> MH4
MHIB >>> MH4G/U

That's all people are pointing out. There are obv. reasons why the difference on expansions isn't as big as for the main game, but the numbers are closer than the difference we had between the main releases.

2019 console market is a totally different kind of market for an expansion that 201X portables. Actually Ultimate-like SKU aren't really expansions in the traditional way.

This is like expecting Witcher 3 GOTY edition to sell another 5 million copies. It's not how it works since years ago.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018

PS4/XBO >>>>>> 3DS
MHW >>>>>>> MH4
MHIB >>> MH4G/U

Holy shit doubling down on it and shitting up the thread constantly with it. Amazing. You totally went from stating 3ds sales should not be downplayed to this(which nobody was doing) and trying to worm your way around it rather than admitting you were wrong in the first place. Just keep up im done.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter World is a big hit on consoles & PC now. They should try to keep the momentum going and announce World 2 two years from now.
Unless being on consoles has drastically changed something I'm sure they will MH has had yearly releases almost the entire last 15 years.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
30% of existing consoles purchases with no PC version that's likely going to do another few million on top. That's pretty incredible retention.

MHW is in different conditions that I don't think past ratio/trends are that much useful. Iceborne I don't think is even getting the same kind of exposure as MHW and it's priced accordingly as well. There's not really much games out there in which expansions exceed the original game.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Why is it always the same individuals trying to downplay MHW sales? Still remember how embarassing the media create thread for the game's launch was with quite a few people arguing the game hadn't sold out and then it turns out the sell through for the first week was over 90. Then apparently the game wouldn't have legs. Now it's the retention level...

kenji_sama

Nov 23, 2017

PS4/XBO >>>>>> 3DS
MHW >>>>>>> MH4
MHIB >>> MH4G/U

I think he means that none of 3DS sale discussion has been put into this thread so it is not necessary to explain the situation.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Unless being on consoles has drastically changed something I'm sure they will MH has had yearly releases almost the entire last 15 years.

Supposedly they're working on a game for Switch, I imagine that can come out for next year and the expansion for that the year after.

While the main World team makes a sequel for Next Gen.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
2019 console market is a totally different kind of market for an expansion that 201X portables. Actually Ultimate-like SKU aren't really expansions in the traditional way.

This is like expecting Witcher 3 GOTY edition to sell another 5 million copies. It's not how it works since years ago.
Yeah, as said - there are reasons why the numbers cant be just compared like that.....which is also why Icebornes performance is great.
I only stated why people that only look at the 3DS expansion numbers and how well they did in relation to the main game could have expected even more from Iceborne since MHW was so much bigger - even though thats a unrealistic expectation.

For the reasons your listed but also because the PC version is still missing - which is a big part of the current MHW audience/player base.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hope there will be a time down the line where MH sales thread don't immediately turn into some corny catfight.

Fact is MHW did very well - so did expansions last generation on 3DS. People love to downplay the 3DS numbers because MHW was massive, but the number of MH games Capcom sold last gen was pretty high as well.

He already admitted that he was off....I think it's okay to let that one go now xD

No one in here downplayed 3DS sales or even mentioned the 3DS before you brought it up though...

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
In
Why is it always the same individuals trying to downplay MHW sales? Still remember how embarassing the media create thread for the game's launch was with quite a few people arguing the game hadn't sold out and then it turns out the sell through for the first week was over 90. Then apparently the game wouldn't have legs. Now it's the retention level...

This may be a shocking revelation, but in a Japanse sales related thread like the mentioned MC threafs, there is a chance people stay on-topic and talk about MHs performance in Japan. MHW performed worse than MH4 and Icebourne also sold worse than 4G in Japan, but stating the obvious seems to hurt some feelings. People getting very defensive about these facts and trying to shame other members aren't any better, than the "MC-gang".

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
No one in here downplayed 3DS sales or even mentioned the 3DS before you brought it up though...
3DS and past expansions numbers have been brought up in this thread before my post - do i really need to quote them ?
The only way you could see Icebornes sales as disappointing is if you expected much more than 3DS numbers - which is more less downplaying the 3DS sales. It sold very well on 3DS and Iceborne sold even better than the 3DS numbers, while still missing the PC release.

Are you really gonna take this argumentation as an attack against Capcom or Icebornes performance ?
There might not even be a point in MH sales thread discussions if thats the result.

Holy shit doubling down on it and shitting up the thread constantly with it. Amazing. You totally went from stating 3ds sales should not be downplayed to this(which nobody was doing) and trying to worm your way around it rather than admitting you were wrong in the first place. Just keep up im done.

So me responding to you and trying to get my point across is shitting up the thread ? So i should just ignore your posts from now on ?
Thats not usually how discussions work.

Again...even if you disagree - which is totally fine, i dont understand why you have to act out like this.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Just put them on ignore. You'll quickly realise it's the same users causing a fit.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving handhelds and focusing on a worldwide audience was the best decision Capcom ever made for this serie.

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic generalization you got there, thank you very much.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Going by the good reception by almost everyone posting in the OT I expect this to have good legs just by word of mouth.
Thats a given - this will sell for a long ass time.
Especially with the PC version upcoming and PS5/Scarlet having full BC to the past generation in combination with Capcom putting their games on sale.

Its a title that should perform very well during the upcoming Holiday season as well.

Edit:
The way they rolled out Iceborne was nearly perfect - i still think they should have tried to get the PC version out at the same time as the console versions and have the events schedule streamlined across all version of the games.

Maybe thats something they will do for the next expansions launch + CrossPlattform play. This could be very big.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So if I bought MHW last year then bought the Iceborne expansion does that now count as 2 copies of MHW that have been shipped over here which I have subsequently purchased in this 16ish million? A little confusing but considering its price it kinda makes sens I guess. It's definitely been worth it though.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's strange that Iceborne gives a new Platinum trophy. A DLC has never given a game a second platinum trophy before.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The keyword is "terrible".

Not underwhelming. Not disappointing. Not below personal expectations. Terrible. Even if you think these numbers for Iceborne aren't great, there isn't anything remotely terrible about this performance (especially so with the PC context).

Sure, you could lump it into "poor word choice" but this isn't anything new with MHW threads (or MC threads discussing MHW) either. The intent was pretty clear and it is played out and tired.

That's probably fair.
Supposedly they're working on a game for Switch, I imagine that can come out for next year and the expansion for that the year after.

While the main World team makes a sequel for Next Gen.

Monster Hunter Switch is nothing but wishful thinking.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017

NvewjLt.jpg

You do that while I'll eat a big fat crow. The first week sales of a freaking expansion was my LTD prediction for the main game.