BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Well I agree that they could make a new indian character. Chloe all of the sudden having an indian accent would have been very weird though. Plus they made it part of her story that she is part australian, so having the accent still works. Otherwise they would have to specifcially get an indian VA that can do a good Aussie accent.
You can find an Indian actress who can have an Aussie accent. Shit I ain't even asking for an Indian accent, I'm Indian, and my accent is that of a someone from Long Island.

You can find an Indian-Australian actress.

Mind you it's a small thing, but like everything else, devs keep going with the more convenient path. So you get the whole range of naughty dog retconning a character to a person of color to Japanese devs who don't give enough of a shit to vet this shit.

The small stuff equally needs to be corrected.

vala

Oct 25, 2017

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Nah, you meant white and you know it. Even if you didn't, you can read the thread to see multiple posts on why this is not an equivalent issue.

Mixed race/ethnicity seems to be a confusing concept for you.

Not at all. But generally mixed people have some form of you know mixed heritage showing. Doesn't look like that in the kid at all; keep being condensing though.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
iirc they cast Laura Bailey for the role before they had the design for Nadine, so her lines were already recorded by the time they made her black.

I don't think it excuses it but at least there's an explanation.
well at least there is that :^S
Anyways unfortunately either there is a serious shortage of black voice actors or companies should be a little more mindful when casting for their poc characters

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
WOW. The more we dig the more horrified I become at Capcom's lack of awareness. This is incredibly sad.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
iirc they cast Laura Bailey for the role before they had the design for Nadine, so her lines were already recorded by the time they made her black.

I don't think it excuses it but at least there's an explanation.
I believe a black person was the voice actor for a white character in UC4, I recall someone mentioning that, but I forgot which character it was.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Honestly I came in here thinking people were overreacting — I was wrong. This is bad.

There's got to be other actors out there for a Capcom to choose.

I know typically Japanese developers aren't as sensitive to these issues but c'mon. These guys are pieces of work.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
I don't mind another race voice acting my race, its all fictional characters and whoever can do the job best should do it. But holy crap this dudes trash. Don't know how Capcom did not vet this stuff before hiring him.

Morrison is barely in the game, but goddamn this needs to be replaced or Capcom needs to make a statement once they get wind of this. And that breeze better be moving quick...

Oct 26, 2017
A reminder that Joey also voiced as the green Monstar ("Monstar Bang") in Space Jam. I hope Warner Bros. don't rehire him if the Monstars return in Space Jam 2 which I assume will be the case. There's lots of time since it's not due until July 2021 IIRC. I just hope they will catch wind of this, or someone let's them know before it's too late.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
if anyone has happened to view the video we might be able to instruct them in how to retrieve the file from their cache.

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
this is why we should just keep getting strider games

About Black face stuff not being super offeinsive in Japan, its not Japan only thing. Let me introduce you to Netherland's (one of the countries that puts value of race and gender rights in high regard) christmas character Black Pete, google for yourself.

Plus black face is not something is super offensive outside of america and europe, for example central asia, like we were not exposed to the whole issue that surrounds it, I know if somebody in my country do black face he will be just seen a bit weird than rude or offensive. Obviously young generation with social media exposure now understand the some idea of it but still its not something that railed up abou in common envieroment.

my dude black pete is racist as fuck, that a predominantly white group doesn't think so does nothing to change that
imagine pointing at a literal celebration of blackface and saying no one minds so it's somehow not blatantly racist

in my country there is no racism between white and black.

ain't even gotta click your profile to tell you that's a lie - there's scarcely a corner about that colonialism & white supremacy hasn't infected

You know racism is not always about intention? It's about outcomes

say it again for the cheap seats

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
About Black face stuff not being super offeinsive in Japan, its not Japan only thing. Let me introduce you to Netherland's (one of the countries that puts value of race and gender rights in high regard) christmas character Black Pete, google for yourself.

Plus black face is not something is super offensive outside of america and europe, for example central asia, like we were not exposed to the whole issue that surrounds it, I know if somebody in my country do black face he will be just seen a bit weird than rude or offensive. Obviously young generation with social media exposure now understand the some idea of it but still its not something that railed up abou in common envieroment.
Okay, I googled "black Pete" and these results are racist as fuck.

a Question

Oct 28, 2017
this is why we should just keep getting strider games

my dude black pete is racist as fuck, that a predominantly white group doesn't think so does nothing to change that
imagine pointing at a literal celebration of blackface and saying no one minds so it's somehow not blatantly racist

ain't even gotta click your profile to tell you that's a lie - there's scarcely a corner about that colonialism & white supremacy hasn't infected

say it again for the cheap seats
Okay, I googled "black Pete" and these results are racist as fuck.
To clearify as I stated before Netherland is a country that puts human, race and gender rights as main values. Acording to my dutch friend this cultural character causing civil war even within traditionalist but thankfully majority finds this as racist as you are.

I hope I did not paint whole country for you as racist, its just wanted to point out that Japan is not the only country where this cultural diffrences are possible ven within west countries, which is an issue non the less.

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe if he gets busted with a baggy of cocaine Capcom will replace him.
Doing or dealing in drugs, any kind of drugs, is taboo in East Asian countries, like China, HK, Japan and Korea. Even smoking weed will destroy your career. Since Camen is not Asian or Japanese in this case, it wouldn't have mattered.

Newsweek/Eurogamer Reporting
OP
OP
Skittles

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Here's some articles newsweek and eurogamer wrote on it. Hoping more pick it up

https://www.newsweek.com/dmc-5-devi...yLC7QSs6vgp-vwKgkiB9xZStsD6yWPo_yHMOM02y43BP8

one video i missed
One more has Camen as "Tommy from Thailand" where he says "black man try to fuck with me" and "try to jew me down on stuff.
Newsweek has reached out to Capcom, Camen and Langdon and will update the story when they respond

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ansphobic-videos-from-his-own-youtube-channel
Langdon has yet to respond to Eurogamer's request for comment, or acknowledge the controversy on his Twitter page.

When contacted for comment yesterday, a Capcom spokesperson said the company was looking into the situation, but stressed the views expressed by both Camen and Langdon are not shared by Capcom whatsoever.