• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
They are doing that too? Mega Man 11 came out for all platforms.

And that's just one example. They could be doing more of that (and maybe are) without resorting to the games being exclusive to Switch.

I think that was all Oregano and Herb were trying to say. That the idea of having to make other games be Switch exclusive is silly.

Oct 27, 2017
Are you telling me nobody complained about lots of the downgraded ports? Like, I get that TW3 has improved a lot with patches, but there was a lot of shit going on at launch. Same with stuff like AC3, ARK or Saint's Row 3. Hell, you could add Overwatch and being 30FPS, which turned off a lot of people.

I would say considering the critical and commercial success of most ports the people complaining about performance were in the far minority and virtually nonexistent compared to the people who were okay with the concessions and enjoyed the games. But my main point in initially responding to you was that it's not even accurate to compare GPD performance, which is literally just the PC version running on a low spec device to a potential Switch port which would have specific optimizations and changes made to work on the device.

Also IIR ARK had shit performance on all platforms so it wasn't the Switch port in particular that got flack. Every version did. I honestly didn't follow the other games enough to really know what people said about them

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

I was tongue in cheek but it's incredible how sensitive the subject is.
There is something really weird and toxic in these capcom threads.

Though I'm sticking to my point that this total ignorance of the switch for their main games (I'm sorry, I don't call overpriced late late ports a significant support) is dumb. They have totally excluded a successful platform where they have a strong audience from their dev pipeline. It's short sighted.

Also they probably think people are also dumb, remember when itsuno said "buy dragon's dogma on switch and maybe you'll get DMC V". Yeah, sure, any day now that it seems DD done good.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Up porting is the last thing Capcom would want to do. The high end market wants their stuff to be high end and impressive, not something that runs equally good on Switch. At this point it's probably better to just downport, make exclusives or do a late port of your game and resell it for 60. The Switch market does stand on it's own though. Exclusive games will do very well on Switch.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of salt is around MonHun and Capcom taking advantage of the Switch tax.

That said many of their ports are top notch and DRAGON dogma remastered not only compared favorably to the PS4 version it was cheap as well. And physical.

I'm just waiting for their slate to be announced for this year. I am sure there will be lots of Switch love
They will show it the same amount of love as ‎Nagoshi has.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I would say considering the critical and commercial success of most ports the people complaining about performance were in the far minority and virtually nonexistent compared to the people who were okay with the concessions and enjoyed the games. But my main point in initially responding to you was that it's not even accurate to compare GPD performance, which is literally just the PC version running on a low spec device to a potential Switch port which would have specific optimizations and changes made to work on the device.

Also IIR ARK had shit performance on all platforms so it wasn't the Switch port in particular that got flack. Every version did. I honestly didn't follow the other games enough to really know what people said about them

It's not accurate, sure. But a lot of concessions would have to be made to get RE3R running on the Switch, considering how much better it looks on next-gen platforms compared to pretty much every downgraded game on their best platform. I mean, they had a lot of trouble trying to port the RE Engine to Switch, to the point they gave up trying to do so and, instead, made a Cloud version of RE7.

And ARK had shit performance in all platforms, but you can't tell me it's the same thing looking at the Digital Foundry comparison. Like, you can't be serious right now. Framerate is just a single factor on this, there are a lot more things that Switch can't get compared to a One or a PS4, let alone One X, PC or PS4 Pro.

jpg

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Up porting is the last thing Capcom would want to do. The high end market wants their stuff to be high end and impressive, not something that runs equally good on Switch. At this point it's probably better to just downport, make exclusives or do a late port of your game and resell it for 60. The Switch market does stand on it's own though. Exclusive games will do very well on Switch.
Capcom will feast on the Succ with $60 PS4/XB1 ports

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
because they could just make Switch games and upport them to PS4/XB1.

But why would they prioritize Switch and up port to other platforms when the majority of their sales are coming from other platforms (PS4 alone is generating nearly 3 times what Switch is). A Monster Hunter World developed for Switch and ported around to other systems would be a very different game than what we got.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with porting more games to Switch if it's technologically feasible, but they have no reason to completely upend their current strategy.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I think that was all Oregano and Herb were trying to say. That the idea of having to make other games be Switch exclusive is silly.

Also, but that's just me, I'm quite salty about the fact they gave up on mid sized games and went only AAA. This focus on AAA is why they won't use switch as a base.
But it would be possible if they'd revive those smaller games. These days, it's just MH and RE, and this is sad.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Same as for every other non-Sony plattform outside of Japan ? $$$.
Japan would probably be most of the justification to port MHW to the Switch. On top of the power gap, no Japanese release is a major problem. At least Xbox doesn't have much of an audience in Japan to begin with.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Capcom and PS4 like Peanut butter and Jelly lol...

Really happy CAPCOM found new success this gen, hopefully they knock SF6 out of the park with the new SSD's.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Something like Sengoku Basara 5 would've been a good project to lead on Switch and then port up to PC/PS4/Xbox. Or Mega Man X9. Or Ace Attorney 7. Or Monster Hunter Next. Or Mega Man Legends 3. Or Viewtiful Joe 3. Or...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Japan would probably be most of the justification to port MHW to the Switch. On top of the power gap, no Japanese release is a major problem. At least Xbox doesn't have much of an audience in Japan to begin with.
Okay ?
I don't even know what we are arguing for, since I never expected th game to come to Switch in the first place. My post was about Capcom games being being able to run on Switch. If they wanted the games on Switch they would be on it, they don't want to spend ressources on it - that's all.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Capcom isnt that they don't port their big console games to the switch, is that they also killed all their portable franchises like Ace Attorney
Compare to the DS and 3DS era when these consoles got a lot of new games. The only new game Switch got is MM11

Sense

Oct 25, 2017
not sure why switch owners are complaining. You will get re remakes, mhw, dmc5 etc... on switch 2 at which point you can complain about ps5/xsx games not being built on switch 2 and ported up.

I know this might rile people but I personally don't want to see games made with switch in mind and ported up. if capcom can somehow make a playable switch version of a game built on current gen then that's fine and they probably should considering the massive success of the switch.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
not sure why switch owners are complaining. You will get re remakes, mhw, dmc5 etc... on switch 2 at which point you can complain about ps5/xsx games not being built on switch 2 and ported up.

I know this might rile people but I personally don't want to see games made with switch in mind and ported up. if capcom can somehow make a playable switch version of a game built on current gen then that's fine and they probably should considering the massive success of the switch.
I don't think anyone is saying that Capcom should develop for the Switch and upscale to PS4/XB1. People are probably wanting something like the Doom and Wolfenstein Switch ports in terms of down scaling (although DMC5 at 30fps doesn't sound appealing to me). It all comes down to if RE engine is compatible with Switch. If it isn't then RE remakes and DMC5 don't have much of a chance to be scaled down.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But why would they prioritize Switch and up port to other platforms when the majority of their sales are coming from other platforms (PS4 alone is generating nearly 3 times what Switch is). A Monster Hunter World developed for Switch and ported around to other systems would be a very different game than what we got.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with porting more games to Switch if it's technologically feasible, but they have no reason to completely upend their current strategy.

I never said they should prioritize Switch though?

I'm simply saying the idea of "if they want to develop a new game for Switch it has to be exclusive" is nonsense.

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anyone is saying that Capcom should develop for the Switch and upscale to PS4/XB1. People are probably wanting something like the Doom and Wolfenstein Switch ports in terms of down scaling (although DMC5 at 30fps doesn't sound appealing to me). It all comes down to if RE engine is compatible with Switch. If it isn't then RE remakes and DMC5 don't have much of a chance to be scaled down.
Well, is not like buying that version would be obligatory... And is up to Capcom to make their proprietary engine compatible.

Last edited:

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
Those Xbox numbers are low enough (and this has apparently been a trend for several consecutive years) that t's not unreasonable to suggest that Capcom build their future development pipeline with more scalability in mind. They are leaving money on the table by not being able to easily downport their current-gen games to Switch.

For now though, more classic compilations that can be released on every platform would be nice. Marvel, Darkstalkers - open the floodgates!

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
These numbers are only packaged goods. Digital numbers are likely very good on Xbox One. Users on that platform are known to consume digitally at high rates.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So they asked for increased RAM. So everything else in terms of branding and messaging about the Switch that they have said is irrelevant? Is this a gotcha or?
Never understood why people make such a big deal out of that story anyways. So yeah obviously Nintendo had a survey going on asking 3rdParties for input on the plattform design. Just because Capcom asked for more RAM, doesn't mean that they somehow owe Nintendo current gen support or engines. Plans change all the time.

It's not like Nintendo went ahead with more RAM only because Capcom asked lol.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox One represents just 6% of shipments? That seems extremely low? Is this just because Capcoms games don't appeal to the Xbox gaming demographic in nearly the same way, or has Xbox Game Pass (which features two big Capcom titles in Monster Hunter World and Devil May Cry 5) had some impact?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Nintendo went ahead with more RAM only because Capcom asked lol.

The fact that someone from Capcom explicitly framed it that way and said they did it specifically to support the RE Engine is kinda interesting though. Like, clearly at one time Capcom obviously planned to support Switch with their RE Engine titles, that's not really up to interpretation.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
It's sad how limited Capcom's output has been compared to last gen, on all platforms. Seems like something cool like Ghost Trick or Lost Planet is impossible with the current Capcom.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Honestrly for me it seems you are the one being riled up by people suggesting that Capcom should do games with Switch in mind and ported up.
Nobody is asking for DMC6 to be made for switch first and then be ported. People are asking for traditional portable games that capcom were known to do since GBA to de done for switch.These games can be easily done with Switch in mind and be ported to other platforms. There is no reason for they to stop doing these such types of games and do only AAA games.
It's sad how limited Capcom's output has been compared to last gen, on all platforms. Seems like something cool like Ghost Trick or Lost Planet is impossible with the current Capcom.
This. Even traditional series like Ace Attorney seems dead now

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would say the reason the rest of Onimusha entries have not been released yet is because the first one sold very bad, barely 300.000 units between 4 platforms. I can understand why it did not sell because the first Onimusha game feels very dated.
300k for a old remastered game sounds fantastic lol

Deleted member 51982

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
The fact that someone from Capcom explicitly framed it that way and said they did it specifically to support the RE Engine is kinda interesting though. Like, clearly at one time Capcom obviously planned to support Switch with their RE Engine titles, that's not really up to interpretation.
In the original GCC article, they specifically talk about studying the RE Engine for Switch and their concerns about a game needing to work for both the TV and mobile mode and how they wanted to make changes at the engine level for the lower power profile. They admitted it would be hard, but seemed optimistic at the time, although it's safe to say it never panned out.

Fun fact, the article also mentions Capcom had been requesting capacitive touchscreens for a while and I don't think any of their games or ports ended up making use of that even though Nintendo finally added it.

I think a lot of their games will hit Switch 2 though, the data shows there's clearly an audience for their games there. They just need the hardware to allow for easier/cheaper ports to be worthwhile. I'd be amazed if RE7/8/2R/3R/4R skipped the next Nintendo console.

Last edited:

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Honestrly for me it seems you are the one being riled up by people suggesting that Capcom should do games with Switch in mind and ported up.
Nobody is asking for DMC6 to be made for switch first and then be ported. People are asking for traditional portable games that capcom were known to do since GBA to de done for switch.These games can be easily done with Switch in mind and be ported to other platforms. There is no reason for they to stop doing these such types of games and do only AAA games.

This. Even traditional series like Ace Attorney seems dead now

Pretty much every single publisher has moved away from smaller spin off AA (or handheld) titles to big budget AAA games (and usually service games). Japanese publishers more slowly but that still is happening with them too (Capcom is trying to emulate western pubs most). I mean even western publishers still made plenty of GBA and even after that DS/PSP games back in a day. With Vita and 3DS the smaller portable side died and age of huge AAA home console titles began. PSP to Vita transition is pretty much the best example of this. PSP had huge third party support from both japanese and western publishers when it launched. Vita had still some from Japanese pubs (not the same amount as PSP though) but almost non existent western support outside of some Sony moneyhats like COD: Declassified. You can't even use ''grudge'' against Nintendo as a reason here because it was Sony system.

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much every single publisher has moved away from smaller spin off AA (or handheld) titles to big budget AAA games (and usually service games). Japanese publishers more slowly but that still is happening with them too (Capcom is trying to emulate western pubs most). I mean even western publishers still made plenty of GBA and even after that DS/PSP games back in a day. With Vita and 3DS the smaller portable side died and age of huge AAA home console titles began. PSP to Vita transition is pretty much the best example of this. PSP had huge third party support from both japanese and western publishers when it launched. Vita had still some from Japanese pubs (not the same amount as PSP though) but almost non existent western support outside of some Sony moneyhats like COD: Declassified. You can't even use ''grudge'' against Nintendo as a reason here because it was Sony system.
Then you have SE that still do titles like Octopath, BD2 while still releasing big titles like FF7R
I dont buy this story that you need go full AAA to have success in this day in age.

Oct 25, 2017
Then you have SE that still do titles like Octopath, BD2 while still releasing big titles like FF7R
I dont buy this story that you need go full AAA to have success in this day in age.
Yeah, they are still doing those smaller games but it is pretty obvious what is bringing in the big revenue for them.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that's true - SE, Bamco, Sega, KT etc. all of them still develop regular non AAA titles.

Capcom is the only hardliner in JP.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
To be fair, isn't Nintendo funding those titles such as localisation, publishing and what not?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's true - SE, Bamco, Sega, KT etc. all of them still develop regular non AAA titles.

Capcom is the only hardliner in JP.

I mean that is why I stated that most of Japanese pubs have been going slower to that direction but even with them surely they publish far less games than during PSP/DS/Wii/PS3 era (and Capcom is trying to emulate western pubs most). I mean you list Octopath and BD2 that are most likely some kinda of Nintendo moneyhats and so not really ''traditional'' handheld/AA support. i mean there is no other logical explanation why they skip other platforms (well Octopath came to PC, similar to Street Fighter V on PS4 and PC)