• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I realize this might become Silent Hills the thread but hopefully we can get more examples. Mine would be Routine, this was first announced in 2012 with a promising looking teaser trailer (fp sci-fi horror with System Shock vibes) , and then got a gameplay trailer the following year. The years ticked by with minimal updates and then a release date trailer landed on Halloween 2016 with a "date" of March 2017. That came and went and the last update I can find from their socials was a tweet in May of 17 replying to someone saying it still wasn't ready...and since then complete radio silence. Here's the gameplay trailer from 2013 for reference:

Maybe it'll still see the light of day but I'm skeptical. Anyways what are your picks? Oh and provide a screenshot or video from the game in question if you can :)

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Mass Effect Andromeda DLC

That game got shit on so much more then it deserved (it deserve some of it) because it was the cool thing at the time the meme and so much story was left untold and now it's likely they'll never touch anything to do with Andromeda again and that sucks.

Some of the ME trilogies best content was in its DLC and it just sucks.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I realize this might become Silent Hills the thread but hopefully we can get more examples. Mine would be Routine, this was first announced in 2012 with a promising looking teaser trailer (fp sci-fi horror with System Shock vibes) , and then got a gameplay trailer the following year. The years ticked by with minimal updates and then a release date trailer landed on Halloween 2016 with a "date" of March 2017. That came and went and the last update I can find from their socials was a tweet in May of 17 replying to someone saying it still wasn't ready...and since then complete radio silence. Here's the gameplay trailer from 2013 for reference:

Maybe it'll still see the light of day but I'm skeptical. Anyways what are your picks? Oh and provide a screenshot or video from the game in question if you can :)

I was such a fanboy for Routine, it looked fantastic.
But it's true than since then a million games have come out and done the same thing, so I don't miss it as much lol

Still had the guts to have a release date trailer lol

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
That Wii game Sadness.

Also there was a game, I don't recall what it was called exactly, but it was something like Dead City, and the article talked about how you could take vehicle parts from multiple cars and Frankenstein them together, to replace damaged parts, and some cars had gas and others didn't, it was a zombie apocalypse game.

Edit: It was Dead Rush https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Rush

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars 1313 had me so jazzed, it still stings that we never saw it come to fruition.

Also, the Amy Hennig single player Star Wars game.

/sigh

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hills, Capcom vs. SNK 3, RE Outbreak File #3, Dino Crisis 3 New York, and City of Metronome.

If SF3-4 had ever been formally announced, since we know it was in the planning stages at one point, it would have been there too.

Scalebound legitimately looked terrible, its cancelation was not a surprise.

Holy hyperbole, Batman. It looked a bit rough, but it had promise. Also, they showed things behind doors to press that would've generated a lot more interest had they publicly shown it, like tag team juggle combos with your dragon.

Bioshock Infinite the original concepts and stuff promised.

And after Versus XIII, FFXV also had a ton of scrapped / missing stuff that never made it to the main game (compare the 2014 trailer to the release one and the ones after it, to even a cringy launch trailer which was the only trailer that showed the real game.)

Silent Hills.

Star Wars 1313 :(

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man Legends 3

The pain is never going to go away

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019

This game almost certainly would've been a pretty typical MMO had it come out, but I'm still bummed I never got a chance to walk around the world and take in the sense of scale.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Isle's Torn. It stings a lot in retrospect because we never got another amazing Planescape: Torment-type game, and that could've been it.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Does Chrono Break count? Would lover to see a new Chrono game someday.

Skoje

Oct 26, 2017
Chrono Break

I know this never got anywhere but I think a mention for Chrono Trigger 3 needs to be added. Either for the cancellation of some super early Chrono project or the fact that SE never even tried to make Chrono Trigger 3

phyl0x

Nov 30, 2020
Star Wars 1313 had me so jazzed, it still stings that we never saw it come to fruition.

Also, the Amy Hennig single player Star Wars game.

/sigh
Came here to say these two...im in the minority who didnt really enjoy Jedi Fallen Order (combat system never clicked for me)...still waiting for that perfect star wars single player narrative experience.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jak 4. The art direction looked so good and a platformer with Naughty Dog presentation is almost nonexistent

Woylie

May 9, 2018
One of my favorite surprises from last year was the leak of Pokemon Picross, a cancelled GBC game that actually seems to have been finished before it was cancelled. (I can't say whether it's completely done as I haven't played to the end)

Someone recently translated the rom into English, and it's a great little Picross experience. Kind of stings that I didn't get to experience this as a kid, since I'm sure I would have *loved* it just like I fell in love with Puzzle League through Pokemon Puzzle Challenge on GBC.

Also not quite the same thing since it's not a whole game that was cancelled, but some of the characters that were supposedly intended to be in Smash Bros throughout the years before being canned still hurt. Chorus Kids, Toon Zelda AKA Tetra, Ayumi from FDC... so many interesting left-field choices from Nintendo's history that may never make it in now. I guess Banjo is the one big success story where he was initially intended to be in Melee and finally made it in with Ultimate's DLC.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda DLC

That game got shit on so much more then it deserved (it deserve some of it) because it was the cool thing at the time the meme and so much story was left untold and now it's likely they'll never touch anything to do with Andromeda again and that sucks.

Some of the ME trilogies best content was in its DLC and it just sucks.

Yeah, i really wanted the andromeda dlc too

thanks for nothing internet

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Final Fantasy Tactics 2

novacrystallis.com

Yasumi Matsuno shows off scrapped plans for a "Final Fantasy Tactics 2" - Nova Crystallis

Final Fantasy XIV‘s “Return to Ivalice” raid series reunites Final Fantasy Tactics director Yasumi Matsuno with many of his old team members who are now working on the MMORPG. During a live broadcast today, where both teams were commenting a playthrough of FFT, Matsuno showed off scrapped plans...
!!! This is my first time hearing about this.

My other answer for this thread is falling in love with the idea of Earthbound 64 on the N64 Disc Drive, the game turning into Mother 3, the game never being localized, and now turning into an annual rumor.