• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Take this with a grain of salt, and I dont wanna cause panic with rumours as I dont personally believe in them... but my friend who works in the health field (research lab) says he is hearing that they will issue more closures tomorrow and stricter lockdown. I didn't give it much credence at first, but now im seeing people mention similar things in other forums and websites. Supposedly Ford is gonna reveal the data tomorrow and things dont look that good unless we move fast and prevent further damage, so he cant continue to keep places open. With the weekend coming and its looking for be 12-15 degrees and no rain, he either issues a lockdown or too many people will go out.

I guess we will have to wait and see.
This should had happened last week when he announced closing the non-essential stores. Politician being reactive again. Oh boy.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she did urge him to enact stricter measures and since then reporters have asked him why he isnt doing it and his answer past two days has been how its vital for Ontario to keep running and the usual bullshit about how things should stay open, but I feel like at this point there too much pressure and he cant ignore it. Even the Ontario construction consortium drafted a letter to him saying he needs to shut down construction sites for 2-3 weeks because the risk is too high. Just the portable toilets alone are so dangerous in his time.

Hopefully he does the lockdown tomorrow. Went to get essential grocery items today before the weekend and as I was walking home walked by a park and it was really busy, people just dont give a shit. Need to force them at this point.
some grocery stores are a problem too, not enough enforcement of distancing and they're still letting families/couples in. Sorry to say but it needs to be one at a time. I went 2 days ago and it was way too fuckin busy mid day.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Hopefully he does the lockdown tomorrow. Went to get essential grocery items today before the weekend and as I was walking home walked by a park and it was really busy, people just dont give a shit. Need to force them at this point.
Are we expecting even grocery stores/pharmacies to be locked down? I'm probably going to need to relocate to my parents' in that event. I don't have nearly enough of a long-term food stockpile in my tiny apartment.

Mar 3, 2018
Are we expecting even grocery stores/pharmacies to be locked down? I'm probably going to need to relocate to my parents' in that event. I don't have nearly enough of a long-term food stockpile in my tiny apartment.

No, those are gonna be the only things open based on the rumor. Actual essential places, and not tile or candle stores that are still open. And just more stricter guidelines for going out and severe fines.

Again, dont do anything until its actually announced. As I said my friend who works at a med research lab said that the boss implied it but nothing 100% yet. We will know tomorrow.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The Essential list just needs to be clarified, and not leave it so vague. Virtually any business, as long as they supply SOMETHING, to an essential business can stay open.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
no that won't happen, hasn't even happened in places like Italy. Would be literal chaos on the streets and mayhem

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
BC update:

+55 cases
+6 deaths 😔 (3 from care facilities in Vancouver, 1 Fraser Health, 2 on the Island)
-641 all together recovered
-149 hospitalized
-68 in ICU
-an inmate at Okanagan Correctional Centre has tested positive, so they are gearing up for an outbreak there :S

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018
Sorry for double post, but to be clear these rumors are based on talks happening behind the scenes with Ford. The talks themselves I 100% believe, but those dont matter. Tory and the health minister, constructions association and others have already asked Ford publicly to close things down and more stricter guileless.

It all comes down to how much Ford actually listens and enacts them, which is the scary part.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau is somehow going to have to pass the Emergency Act, even though the opposition won't let him.

Then the Feds can take over the provinces that are fucking up.

Mar 3, 2018
Trudeau is somehow going to have to pass the Emergency Act, even though the opposition won't let him.

Then the Feds can take over the provinces that are fucking up.

I wonder if Ford is basically wishing for this to happen so a year from now he can say " oh I didn't cause your business to lose money, it was Trudeau that forced a shutdown!!"

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Ford is basically wishing for this to happen so a year from now he can say " oh I didn't cause your business to lose money, it was Trudeau that forced a shutdown!!"
Probably why Trudeau isn't using it. He knows that the Conservative base will be yelling at him.

They can yell and scream and call it a power grab.

I'm sure Premiers will be pissed to lose power as well.

Sadly the only chance might be if things do get really bad and Trudeau would be justified to use it in the court of public opinion.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
No, those are gonna be the only things open based on the rumor. Actual essential places, and not tile or candle stores that are still open. And just more stricter guidelines for going out and severe fines.

Again, dont do anything until its actually announced. As I said my friend who works at a med research lab said that the boss implied it but nothing 100% yet. We will know tomorrow.

The Star literally reported yesterday that Ford will be closing more businesses soon so it's not really a rumour. We also know there will be projections tomorrow for Ontario similar to what the U.S. just got and of course it will have a best case and a worst case scenario so we can expect these further closing to be on heels of that.

Mar 3, 2018
The Star literally reported yesterday that Ford will be closing more businesses soon so it's not really a rumour. We also know there will be projections tomorrow for Ontario similar to what the U.S. just got and of course it will have a best case and a worst case scenario so we can expect these further closing to be on heels of that.

Oh, didnt know about the Star article.

and Im only being hesitant because Ford has been stalling so far, and I dont have much confidence in him. He hyped up the business closure essential list so much initially and look what we got.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, didnt know about the Star article.

and Im only being hesitant because Ford has been stalling so far, and I dont have much confidence in him. He hyped up the business closure essential list so much initially and look what we got.

I don't like Ford but I disagree that he has been stalling. Ontario has been doing rather well considering we have most of Canada living here. The only criticism I have overall about Canada's response was that we allowed air travel for FAR too long and that unfortunately is on Trudeau. I can't bellyache about that though because really only SK did everything right. Some of course did horrible like Trump and Boris. Japan is also looking rough in thier response.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Ford has done fuck all. It's all a PR stunt by Trump.ca.

Every business is "essential". He hasn't made a single hard decision.

We will see what happens when this inevitably gets worse.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I went grocery shopping today at a local No Frills. The line up in the parking lot was probably 40 people deep, but everyone was diligent in practicing physical distancing.

Overall, I think most citizens (at least from what I've seen in Toronto) are handling this pretty well.
It's mostly the Liberty Village types that seem to be ignoring the recommendations from what I've seen.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017

Those Canada numbers look promising, but I don't know how accurate the Japan numbers are, especially now that the Olympics have been postponed.

Abe is getting roasted on social media for his two masks for everybody proposal.

Anyway it's a long thread, be sure to read through it.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wow. US States are helping on providing money if you got unemployed. It would had been nice if our provincial government would do the same. $2,000 a month isn't just enough.

Oct 25, 2017
The Essential list just needs to be clarified, and not leave it so vague. Virtually any business, as long as they supply SOMETHING, to an essential business can stay open.

My warehouse is still open. The amount of "essential" stuff I can count on 1 finger. And even then, I wouldn't count it essential.

But we're still open. Its stupid.

Too much is "essential".

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got word that my workplace will continue closure until May 1st and I will continue to be paid. Phew.

Oct 27, 2017

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Man grocery stores are really not equipped for online delivery. I'm hearing 2 days delays in usa threads where it's more like 2-3 weeks here.

Oct 27, 2017
Man grocery stores are really not equipped for online delivery. I'm hearing 2 days delays in usa threads where it's more like 2-3 weeks here.

Yep. We put in an order two and a half weeks ago, and it ostensibly comes tomorrow (Friday). Even then, I'm expecting.. fifty per cent of the items to actually arrive, even with substitutions? If it's any more, I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Hang in there.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Just got an official corporate letterhead tonight to carry around with me in Toronto that states I am essential services worker (grocery) in case the police stop me to ask me what my business is being outside haha.

I'm happy things are getting real serious finally.

Stay strong and vigilant, everyone!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Dougie and the cons are going to release numbers today and I was telling my gf, it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers they give us show Ontario like with 1000 or more more cases than what Quebec is reporting. It never made sense that we had less cases when we have a larger population and the cons didn't start off taking it seriously enough

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Dougie and the cons are going to release numbers today and I was telling my gf, it wouldn't surprise me if the numbers they give us show Ontario like with 1000 or more more cases than what Quebec is reporting. It never made sense that we had less cases when we have a larger population and the cons didn't start off taking it seriously enough

All these journalist fawning over Ford and stating this "is the moment he became Premier of Ontario" are going to end up looking really stupid today if that's the case.

The GTA might be the new epicentre if Ford doesn't get a handle on this.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. We put in an order two and a half weeks ago, and it ostensibly comes tomorrow (Friday). Even then, I'm expecting.. fifty per cent of the items to actually arrive, even with substitutions? If it's any more, I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Hang in there.

We did one 2 weeks ago and Walmart just cancelled it hours before we were supposed to get it.

All these journalist fawning over Ford and stating this "is the moment he became Premier of Ontario" are going to end up looking really stupid today if that's the case.

The GTA might be the new epicentre if Ford doesn't get a handle on this.

Makes me sick he's getting praise.

He will probably blame Trudeau if it gets bad.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've all got this stuff wrong. There isn't going to be some real Ontario number they've been hiding for days released today.

They will just be showing the projections they've been using to the public. Both a bad and a good one. Stop spreading misinformation that Ontario is hiding numbers or something and read articles fully.

Trudeau is going to release the Canada wide projections as well.

There is no hidden data being released today. It's just models.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Don't have that public yet, but Premier Legault just said that even in the most pessimistic scenario we have, there's enough ventilators. So I guess there's a silver lining I guess.

In the projection that was shared with the press about 2-3 weeks ago, we were supposed to be at about 10k confirmed cases by now, with 16k cases as soon as early next week. We'll see what happens but so far it's lower. IIRC it seemed to peak and flatten on April 18-19th about.

c1043320-6b2a-11ea-b33c-02fe89184577.jpg

This is the graph that was shared to the media on march 16th
It's good to see we're not at this many cases as of April 3rd. While I don't go outside, I'm still very scared and being immunocompromised doesn't help it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
You've all got this stuff wrong. There isn't going to be some real number they've been hiding for days released today.

They will just be showing the projections they've been using to the public. Both a bad and a good one. Stop spreading misinformation that Ontario is hiding numbers or something and read articles fully.
This.

Anxiety conspiracies get people nowhere, and honestly unless you're studying pandemics or viruses or anything related to this and how it spreads, Day to day numbers do not matter.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

twitter.com

CBC News Alerts on Twitter

“The Ontario government's briefing on its 'stark' modelling for the progress of the COVID-19 outbreak in the province has been confirmed for noon ET. We will carry it live on CBC News Network and https://t.co/xiuYbJ1Uox. Latest story: https://t.co/KMQBlUlW5h”

Kifimbo

Oct 28, 2017
You've all got this stuff wrong. There isn't going to be some real Ontario number they've been hiding for days released today.

Trudeau is going to release the Canada wide projections as well.

There is no hidden data being released today. It's just models.

Ford compared Ontario situation to Italy using a very serious tone. Which doesn't make sense, because even Québec is far from the Italy situation. How can Ontario projections be so bad if the publicly released numbers are somewhat good ?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

CBC News Alerts on Twitter

“The Ontario government's briefing on its 'stark' modelling for the progress of the COVID-19 outbreak in the province has been confirmed for noon ET. We will carry it live on CBC News Network and https://t.co/xiuYbJ1Uox. Latest story: https://t.co/KMQBlUlW5h”

.Detective. should threadmark this and/or threadmark the summary of info

edit:👍

Last edited:

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Ford compared Ontario situation to Italy using a very serious tone. Which doesn't make sense, because even Québec is far from the Italy situation. How can Ontario projections be so bad if the publicly released numbers are somewhat good ?
I did some very limited stats yesterday based off of new articles. While Quebec has the most confirmed cases the % of hospitalisations, ICU and deaths is far lower than BC and Ontario.

Even then the numbers are nowhere near Italy levels

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Just got an official corporate letterhead tonight to carry around with me in Toronto that states I am essential services worker (grocery) in case the police stop me to ask me what my business is being outside haha.

I'm happy things are getting real serious finally.

Stay strong and vigilant, everyone!

Hm, I wonder if I should contact my company for something like that. I do carry my security licence, wonder if that would be enough proof I'm working as essential security. I can't afford a 5k fine.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Lots of people, including public health officials, have acknowledged that the official numbers are likely undercounting. The Toronto head of public health said they had a number of deaths that are not in the official count yet because they haven't been confirmed, but are very likely to be COVID-19 cases. Also, what does it mean to be "far from the Italy situation"? If you're just looking at static numbers, that doesn't matter; the rate of acceleration is the important one, as it will indicate how quickly our healthcare systems will be overwhelmed. The Financial Times shows that Canada is where Italy was about a month ago in terms of daily deaths. Based on the graph we could be in the Italy situation right now.