Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Can he do that if all other MPs are voting against him (LPC/NDP/Bloc/GPC)? He wouldn't have any kind of majority vote.

Greens will most likely vote against the throne speech unless emissions targets are raised.

It wouldn't take much for NDP to do the same.

The Bloq is probably Trudeau's most reliable ally right now lol.

God.........What the hell is going on in our country

Conservatives manufacturing a crisis and obstruction because they lost. Hoping their media will successfully convince people it's Trudeau's fault and we need a strong wise leader like Scheer.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What are the chances that Scheer sees the writing on the wall and is taking this path to make his fall from federal politics easier? Maybe Scheer thinks he can use this issue to jump into provincial politics. Continue the public life or tackle that damn Insurance Brokers exam.

LMAO

Its gonna be something to have another Conservative leadership election in less than four years since the last one. Unfortunately for us, the Canadians who vote Conservative are not necessarily party members, so I wonder what crazy they'll put up next.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the strategic choice, were I the CPC, would be to try to get Rona Ambrose back into federal politics to run. She has already lead the party as interim leader before Scheer, and was even appointed to the NAFTA advisory council by the Trudeau government, so she could actually attempt to market herself as trying to bring Canadians together (not saying that's true, just saying they could attempt to spin it that way more easily). And I honestly can't recall any huge scandals against her, unlike say, Peter Mackay.

She's also been outspoken about women's issues, climate change/emissions, and at the very least supported the inquiry into missing/murdered indigenous women.

Hell, she even ticks the box as having been born in Alberta.

She's obviously still a Conservative, but would be hell of an improvement and shift over Scheer.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Greens will most likely vote against the throne speech unless emissions targets are raised.

It wouldn't take much for NDP to do the same.

The Bloq is probably Trudeau's most reliable ally right now lol.

Hopefully not. I mean, it looks like the discussions the leaders all had were good? I hope? Lol. 😭

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I am not panicked at all, if these opposition parties want to go into another election with Wexit, LOL

Go ahead, pull the plug.

Isn't it funny that the Bloc is the only one not wanting to go into an election?

Last edited:

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously, you should not be getting worked up over this. This is no chance the government is going to lose a confidence vote right now.

Thank you. Please be gentle with me. This is basically me all the time when politics come up right now:
fstoppers-sylvester-czku3g.gif

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is all a repeat of Obama wining in 2008 and then again in 2012.

CPC will go with a Canadian-Trump next, and not willingly, just as Republicans didn't want Trump.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Don't judge all people in a place for the actions of their leader. Or are we going to start comparing all Ontarians to Doug Ford...

People already do. And ford is as good as gone next election. Kenney was willingly put in place by Albertans and will most likely stay in future elections.

They keep voting for the same grifters every election then whine when their team loses. The vast majority voted UCP and CPC. No FPTP tom foolery here, the numbers show it. They deserve everything that's coming for them.

This is all a repeat of Obama wining in 2008 and then again in 2012.

CPC will go with a Canadian-Trump next, and not willingly, just as Republicans didn't want Trump.

They know all they have to do is bide their time until Liberal fatigue sets in and install their candidate to fuck it up. People don't understand the consequences of elections. Some arguing that all parties are the same.

Added perspective of the optics in AB now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
If people want to say "people who voted for Kenney deserve what they get" then I understand. But don't lump in the hundreds of thousands that voted for other options.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
If people want to say "people who voted for Kenney deserve what they get" then I understand. But don't lump in the hundreds of thousands that voted for other options.
man, Alberta is at near dictatorship levels of support for the Right.
They had decades to prep.
They tried to have their cake and eat it.
They are stirring up disunity in the country while Quebec has been quiet for over 15 years

why do the poor whites vote for the worst possible option?

they had like 4 decades of uninterrupted Tory rule until Notley nudged in for 4 years while the Right was temporarily divided

other Provinces cycle through two parties (sometime a 3rd) but Alberta is truley Saddam Hussein, Kim Jung Un dictatorship levels

Last edited:

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting how the first poll is almost identical to the electoral split in the country. So effectively it's conservatives who feel that AB is treated unfairly, and everyone else are like, "no".

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Feeling if Alberta Separated?"
Happy/Unhappy
AB: 36% / 63%

"How Would You Vote On Alberta Separation?"
Remain/Separate
AB: 75% / 25%

Smart people right there. Now they need to squash the morons trying to make it a thing.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
"Feeling if Alberta Separated?"
Happy/Unhappy
AB: 36% / 63%

"How Would You Vote On Alberta Separation?"
Remain/Separate
AB: 75% / 25%

Smart people right there. Now they need to squash the morons trying to make it a thing.
QC: 55% / 45% hahahaha

Alberta Wexit going off on Quebec Bashing has made most us here of all political allegiances say 'buh bye berta''

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Turnout was 64% last election.

And Kenney got 54% of the popular vote.

So no, most people in AB didn't vote for him. Not sure what the 36% were doing but they weren't voting.

You can't even blame vote splitting, it was pretty much all UCP/NDP votes.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017

Alberta Wexit going off on Quebec Bashing has made most us here of all political allegiances say 'buh bye berta''

Its just so transparent. I don't want to see any province leave but my eyes can't roll back far enough when i hear their grievances.

You're never going to get the $100/barrel price ever again so as a province fucking deal with it. Raise your god damn taxes or something.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Scheer needs to own this. He still talks about oil, oil, oil. Any talk of oil from Scheer makes the East associate Scheer with Wexit

That's who he's owned by. He doesn't speak for most Canadians, he speaks for the companies and investors who bought into the oil sands years ago who want a CPC government to rescue their investment at the cost of the environment and everything else.

They love the free market until it goes against them and then they're screaming for government intervention.

Oct 27, 2017
you are talking to Gutter_Trash the Liberal Federalist who lived through 1980 and 1995.
I don't have any lessons to learn on national unity from anybody.

Wexit on the other hand is freakin' joke

It's a joke yet you are in favour of it. Shows that you are a joke.

If any province got to the point where the federal government began negotiations with them for a special agreement (whether to leave or to remain with special conditions) then the other provinces would demand in as well, and the country would either totally devolve into a loose collection of independent regions, or collapse completely.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
It's a joke yet you are in favour of it. Shows that you are a joke.

If any province got to the point where the federal government began negotiations with them for a special agreement (whether to leave or to remain with special conditions) then the other provinces would demand in as well, and the country would either totally devolve into a loose collection of independent regions, or collapse completely.
Less right wingers, the better

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017

Keep in mind that most of Canada doesn't really care if Quebec separates either.

...almost half (49%) of Canadians living outside of Quebec `agree' (26% strongly/23% somewhat) that they `don't really care if Quebec separates from Canada'. Conversely, the other half (51%) `disagrees' (30% strongly/21% somewhat) with this sentiment.

Ironically, Quebec actually does care if other provinces in Canada separate (goes to show that yes, there are plenty of federalists in QC).

While the data above shows that most of Canadians would likely say good riddance if Quebec decided to separate, they have a change of heart when it comes to other provinces. In fact, most (69%) Canadians `disagree' (41% strongly/28% somewhat) that `they don't really care if any province decides to separate from Canada' - including 64% of Quebecers

Remarkably most people don't think there should be some political association with QC if QC separated. Personally I'm quite neutral on QC leaving, but I would strongly want to ensure there is some Schengen style free/work/movement association.

If Quebec were to separate from Canada the question then becomes what is the relationship between the two countries? While three in ten (28%) Canadians don't know whether or not an economic and political association between Canada and Quebec should exist in this scenario, among those that have an opinion, four in ten (43%) think there ought to be, while a majority (57%) doesn't believe there should be, a dramatic shift from two decades ago when most (66%) thought there should continue to be an association between the two, while only three in ten (30%) thought there shouldn't be. Interestingly, most (83%) Quebecers think there should be a political and economic association, while a minority (28%) of Canadians outside of Quebec think there should be this type of relationship.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If any province got to the point where the federal government began negotiations with them for a special agreement (whether to leave or to remain with special conditions) then the other provinces would demand in as well, and the country would either totally devolve into a loose collection of independent regions, or collapse completely

The Cons wouldn't mind that one bit. Hello Republic of Canada.

I might be wrong but that sounds like one way of getting out of treaties between indigenous people and the Crown. No Crown, no treaty.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I think Gutter is right when saying that separatism is not really trending in Quebec right now, especially with younger generations.
Yup, the constitutional disputes from the 1980s, 90s that fueled it has evaporated.

The PQ has been on a downhill trajectory since 2003, losing official party status in 2018

Boomers are dying.
Millennials embrace bilingualism.
Diversity is on the rise

it is demographically impossible today

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
AB here.

I don't want to leave you guys :<
You aren't going anywhere but Kenney is being a dick for weaponizing this sentiment instead of quelling it.

Considering how well the UK is handling their exit i don't think people will want in on that.

This down here is what's is wrong with AB.

Highest median incomes and highest GDP in the land yet they cry that Trudeau is causing all of this. Get stuffed.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You aren't going anywhere but Kenney is being a dick for weaponizing this sentiment instead of quelling it.

Considering how well the UK is handling their exit i don't think people will want in on that.

My post was a jest, but I wouldn't put it past my province to look at the dumpster fire that's Brexit and say

"Mmmm, yeah, gimme a slice of that"

The UPC is such a pile of shit of a party