• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Breaking news. Will be very interesting to see if Canada gets screwed and Trump scores a major political win.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...ing-new-nafta-deal-to-congress/?noredirect=on

Canada has agreed to join the trade deal that the U.S. and Mexico announced last month, according to people familiar with the matter. The move preserves the three-country format of the original North American Free Trade Agreement favored by business groups and congressional Republicans.

The treaty is expected to be signed by leaders of all three countries in 60 days, with Congress likely to act on it in 2019. A formal announcement is expected before midnight.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...line-of-nafta-deal-pending-approval-of-trump/

Here seem to be the major points:

• The potential agreement would preserve Chapter 19
  • It would also allow Canadian consumers to purchase five times ($20 to $100) more foreign merchandise online without paying import duty than they are currently allowed. The move, which was opposed by the Canadian retail industry, was agreed to by Canada in exchange for still being able to collect sales tax on the purchases
  • U.S. tariffs lifted on Canadian steel and aluminium
  • Guarantee that the Trump administration will not impose tariffs on most auto imports from Canada.
  • Canada would accept a quota system that would place stricter limits on the export of Canadian-made vehicles into the U.S. market, said two sources.
  • Canada will give U.S. farmers access to the Canadian dairy market greater than the 3.2 per cent granted to 10 other countries under the Trans-Pacific Partnership,
  • Ottawa will also change a rule that had largely excluded U.S.-made ultrafiltered milk, a cheese-making ingredient, from Canada.
  • The deal will preserve Canada's supply management system, which uses a combination of quotas and tariffs to guarantee returns for Canadian farmers.
  • But giving a larger percentage of the market to the U.S. without tariffs is certain to rankle the dairy lobby, which wields significant political influence, particularly in Quebec, which holds a provincial election Monday.

Last edited:

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
KUGfgQr.gif

Oct 30, 2017
Will be interesting to see how Congress reacts. Especially if it bleeds into a new Congress. Last I heard there was lots of disagreement. People forget the original NAFTA took heavy lobbying to finally get through.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If they have agreed hopefully it's the scenario in which Canada got us to come to their terms otherwise rip

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping we didn't cave in IP rights, dairy and pharmaceuticals.

Should be interesting to see the details.

OP
OP
NYR

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
This is all breaking news folks, nothing is out yet but should be leaked by midnight.

Rumor is Canada gave in on the US dairy demands to keep Chapter 19 Dispute Resolution. If so, this will be a MAJOR win for Trump.

LordAmused

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Hopefully we aren't getting fucked. But I'm scared for our dairy industry. I'm scared for the future of this beautiful country I call home.
Justin Trudeau's job is on the line here. He knows it.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Canadian pundits hypothesize that Trump needed a "win" before the midterms

___

As for the Dairy Cartel , fuck'em.
A stick of butter shouldn't cost $5

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This is all breaking news folks, nothing is out yet but should be leaked by midnight.

Rumor is Canada gave in on the US dairy demands to keep Chapter 19 Dispute Resolution. If so, this will be a MAJOR win for Trump.

Trudeau just lost the damn election. I knew we shouldn't have made a deal

Raspyberry

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping we didn't cave in IP rights, dairy and pharmaceuticals.

Should be interesting to see the details.
especially the Pharma stuff and IP stuff. That's just bad for everyone. Dispute resolution is 100% necessary. I still think we (Canada) should've just rejected it until November.

Trudeau just lost the damn election. I knew we shouldn't have made a deal

Seriously. There's one thing all Canadians agree with is that Trump is a bully and we should stand up to that idiot. If he put tariffs on auto we'd just put more tariffs on them in kind and continue developing trade with other nations. If this deal ends up bad for Canada the Liberals are done in the next election.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Will be interesting to see how Congress reacts. Especially if it bleeds into a new Congress. Last I heard there was lots of disagreement. People forget the original NAFTA took heavy lobbying to finally get through.

The bad parts from NAFTA are essentially irreversible at this point.

Obama upset Clinton in the 08 primary in alot of places you'd think black folks would be nearly impossible to win because he hammered her like crazy on the damage NAFTA did to those regions.

Changing/killing NAFTA won't fix any of that damage.

OP
OP
NYR

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/pol...line-of-nafta-deal-pending-approval-of-trump/

• It would also allow Canadian consumers to purchase five times ($20 to $100) more foreign merchandise online without paying import duty than they are currently allowed. The move, which was opposed by the Canadian retail industry, was agreed to by Canada in exchange for still being able to collect sales tax on the purchases
  • Guarantee that the Trump administration will not impose tariffs on most auto imports from Canada.
  • Canada would accept a quota system that would place stricter limits on the export of Canadian-made vehicles into the U.S. market, said two sources.
  • Canada will give U.S. farmers access to the Canadian dairy market greater than the 3.2 per cent granted to 10 other countries under the Trans-Pacific Partnership,
  • Ottawa will also change a rule that had largely excluded U.S.-made ultrafiltered milk, a cheese-making ingredient, from Canada.
  • The deal will preserve Canada's supply management system, which uses a combination of quotas and tariffs to guarantee returns for Canadian farmers.
  • But giving a larger percentage of the market to the U.S. without tariffs is certain to rankle the dairy lobby, which wields significant political influence, particularly in Quebec, which holds a provincial election Monday.

Last edited:

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Three sources said a side agreement, meanwhile, would see U.S. tariffs lifted on Canadian steel and aluminium, and a guarantee that the Trump administration will not impose tariffs on most auto imports from Canada. In exchange, however, Canada would accept a quota system that would place stricter limits on the export of Canadian-made vehicles into the U.S. market, said two sources.
Canada would be stupid to believe any "guarantees" from this government. Trump has repeatedly proven himself to be a lying sack of shit. His word means less than nothing.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would also allow Canadian consumers to purchase five times more foreign merchandise online without paying import duty than they are currently allowed, the two sources said.

That's good. I wanted to order some Yeezy MAGAs and always hated putting in the "special instructions" box, "Please make sound old."

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
It would've been impossible for the Canadian Economy to survive long term without this. No matter how much they hate it, the US is too powerful of a trade partner.

Trump defo got a win.

Oct 30, 2017

• It would also allow Canadian consumers to purchase five times more foreign merchandise online without paying import duty than they are currently allowed

Maybe I'm not as clued into this as I thought I was but how does any of this represent either side caving? Looks like standard give and take.

Earthstrike

Oct 28, 2017

• It would also allow Canadian consumers to purchase five times more foreign merchandise online without paying import duty than they are currently allowed

So preservation of chapter 19 sounds good then.

ghostmind

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't sounds like that bad a deal for Canada, unless I am missing something.

Of course we need the full details. If IP and/or pharma have been messed with then my opinion will change quickly.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it's acceptable to Canadians, lest they vote in their own right wing populist nutjob.

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Trudeau is going to get killed in the poles in Quebec, regardless if things were going to change eventually with CETA.

I would have hold out until after the US midterms.

Still want to know about the IP details.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada would be stupid to believe any "guarantees" from this government. Trump has repeatedly proven himself to be a lying sack of shit. His word means less than nothing.
I do wonder if this "side agreement" is explicitely written anywhere and can allow them to back out of the treaty if it isn't honored

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The major thing was chapter 19. The fact that Canada managed to preserve it is definitely a win.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I anticipate some major fast food chains switching to US cheese, but consumers sticking with Canadian sources at the supermarkets.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Doesnt matter if the changes are minuscule, this will become a massive wedge issue in the 2019 election

I cant say whether or not dairy farmers were a big liberal voting base, my hunch says no, but their grief could swing other voters when it is amplified by Scheer.

Problems like this wouldnt necessarily arise though under a different electoral system, cough 2015 will be the last election under FPTP cough