Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I've been replaying Earthbound with Ketkat since she's never played it before and we've been having a hoot. But after about 15 hours of playing we've come to the lovely point in the game where if you want to get Poo's only usable weapon in the entire game you've gotta grind one specific enemy that only exists on one specific screen, and disappears forever after you beat the boss of the dungeon.

We've been at it for about 2 1/2 hours and I'm pretty much ready to break. It isn't even the worst drop rate in a video game by a looooong margin, at a 1/125 chance, but there's just something about this one that gets under my skin. It might be the way all the funky graphics in Earthbound slowly wear into you , or how wild it is that the item is attainable for such a short period of the game. I dunno.

Anyway, what item in what game takes the cake as the most obnoxious drop?

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Curious why you feel the need to grind for it? It's not required is it?

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Curious why you feel the need to grind for it? It's not required is it?

Honestly I don't even know. When we first started we needed the leveling experience anyway so it felt like two birds with one stone, but now we're so far in we can't turn back, sunken cost fallacy I guess.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly a drop rate issue, but In the original FFXII you can get what I think is the most powerful weapon in the game from a seemlingly random chest ONLY if you don't open 4 very specific item chests throughout and starting quite early in the game. There's nothing special about these chests too so I assume 100% of people who didn't know about it would not see this weapon unless they were extremely lucky.

Always felt like an extremely random thing to add for me.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
In the original FFXII you can get what I think is the most powerful weapon in the game from a seemlingly random chest ONLY if you don't open 4 very specific and random loot chests throughout and starting quite early in the game.

The Zodiac Spear! I've actually gotten that one before. That one really is up there but at least it feels like this long adventurous attempt rather than like, sitting in a small cramped space fighting the same guy for an item. I really have no clue what they were thinking with that one though.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I've replayed Earthbound at least 10 times and have only gotten that weapon once. You don't even need it, screw it.

On that same note I can't think of a weapon that's super annoying to get because if it's too annoying I don't bother in the first place lol.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Theres 2 items that are much harder to get IMO:

Magic Fry Pan- 1/128 drop from Chomposaur in The Lost Underworld
Star Pendent - 1/128 drop from Major Psychic Psycho in the Fire Spring. And you'll want 2 of these (Ness and Pauls BIS items)

Those two took me much much longer to get because of how annoying it was to spawn the enemies.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I don't even know. When we first started we needed the leveling experience anyway so it felt like two birds with one stone, but now we're so far in we can't turn back, sunken cost fallacy I guess.

Just give up and have fun playing the rest of the game. Or other games. Do something fun.

I've really got no idea why people grind for loot. But there are whole genres now about that I guess, so some people do enjoy it, just seems mental.

CO_Andy

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy IV is littered with countless rare items that'll make your head explode, and rare items from rare enemy encounters. EB has got nothing on this game.
Just to name a few: Pink tail, Summons: Goblin, Cockatrice, MindFlayer

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pure Bladestone in Demon's Souls sucks a lot.

Oct 25, 2017
Demon's Souls Pure Bladestone (upgrade item). Only two enemies drop it, both in different areas so you will be running repeatedly from spawn point to kill one enemy repeatedly until it drops.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei 1's fiends have a 1/256 chance of spawning in fixed locations and a 1/256 chance of dropping unique weapons if you beat them. I've never even bothered trying, despite adoring the game.

Comandr

Feb 14, 2018
It's always going to be the FBSS from the frenzied ghoul in Guk. EverQuest. The monster has a CHANCE to spawn every 28 minutes. Otherwise a placeholder monster will appear instead. On top of that, only has a very small chance of actually having the sash if he spawns. The one and only time I did it, I camped him for three real people earth days. Last time I played EB I think it took me about 2-3 hours to get the Sword of Kings.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't get what's obnoxious about it?

It's not required, it's supposed to be something you get once in a life time and when you do, it's an awesome surprise. It's a bonus, an extra, a gift, for people that play and replay games and one day might stumble upon it.

People nowadays just want to 100% a game in one sitting or something.

I've played Final Fantasy 2 (4) over 80 times, and I've never gotten the Pink Tail. So.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
gqU1GRg.jpg

Turns out, all you need to do to get the item you want is complain about it on the internet!

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I've never gotten it to this day, and I've played the game at least ten times.

Deleted member 15457

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to point out that the enemies that drop the sword of kings don't show up until about 2/3 of the way through the dungeon with no saving or healing anywhere close.

If you decide to grind for the sword, you'll have gained so many levels that you won't need it.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
You're not really supposed to go for that weapon, you're lucky if you get it but you're not gimped if you don't...

For me, it's probably the doors in Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow that require you to have a certain amount of money, which means carefully counting how much you pick up, and finding a way to spend it in bits when you get too much. Tedious, not worth it

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Defending Ring in FFXI.
The monster it drops from used to be available to fight no more than once every week. And the drop rate was quite low at the time. There were servers that only had one after a few years. So that's one item for 20,000 people, give or take a few thousand people.

Deleted member 14377

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really not that bad. And for the most part, if you are at it long enough to be annoying you're one shoting the mob and your level is enough to crush the game from there on out.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Lulu's celestial weapon, Final Fantasy X.
Tedious farming of an item? I can take it.
Dodge 200 fucking lightning bolts without a counter to let me know how many I've dodged and I can't even leave the screen? Fuck that.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
lBSi9Js.jpg

Thanks dad. Considering each enemy on that floor drops about 720-750 dollars, that would mean we killed more than 350 enemies fishing for this drop, and most of them were Super Starmen.

Lulu's celestial weapon, Final Fantasy X.
Tedious farming of an item? I can take it.
Dodge 200 fucking light bolts without a counter to let me know how many I've dodged and I can't even leave the screen? Fuck that.

I think what makes FFX worse is how all the sidequests open up at the last possible minute, all at once, so you're just flooded with them.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pink Tail's odd is 1/64, and the enemy that drops it has 1/64 chance of appearing.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I think this dropped twice my last playthrough. Is it really that bad? I don't think it's even in my top 10 worst drops.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly a drop rate issue, but In the original FFXII you can get what I think is the most powerful weapon in the game from a seemlingly random chest ONLY if you don't open 4 very specific item chests throughout and starting quite early in the game. There's nothing special about these chests too so I assume 100% of people who didn't know about it would not see this weapon unless they were extremely lucky.

Always felt like an extremely random thing to add for me.

Not random they just wanted to sell strategy guides.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably something from an MMO since you can't just reset it for another try. Maybe one of the WoW mounts.

Deleted member 19996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FF1 genji armor. Dropped from the first super boss in the series that only has a 3/64 chance of spawning, plus the drop itself is ultra rare

In my play through, I never saw it in 5 hours of grinding and only saw warmech 3 times

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
There was an item in the PS2 remake of Romancing SaGa called the Mattock that was necessary to finish one of the protagonists' main story arcs. Without the Mattock you couldn't finish forging Gray's sword into its final form, thus unlocking the end of his story path.

I spent eighteen hours grinding for that fucking thing and it just would. not. drop for me. I'm not even exaggerating. And the worst part of it is that in Romancing SaGa on PS2, there's an entire continent full of sidequests and dungeons and NPCs that gets destroyed by a monster called the Jewel Eater if you dick around too long without going over there to kill said monster.

Since I wasn't playing with a strategy guide, I did not know this, and I essentially locked myself out of a huge chunk of the game because one stupid crafting material refused to drop for me. I never did replay that game even though I really liked it because Gray's stupid storyline and that stupid Mattock broke me.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've played through Earthbound several times. So many that I lost count the number of times I've played through the game.

I got the Sword of Kings exactly one time.

Ecks

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Gutsy Bat in Earthbound.

(got it for the first time about a month ago, along with the other rare item drops. I will NEVER do this again.)

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
PURE BLADESTONE from Demon Souls.

You either get it from a crystal lizard with spawn counter that has low droprate

OR

you can farm the black phantom dual katana wielding skeleton on black world tendency which ups the difficulty and damage dealt to you but in exchange for better 'drop rate'.

Guess which option people pick lol

Oct 25, 2017
maybe not quite what the OP had in mind, but solo farming for tusks of mannoroth shoulder plate armor in world of warcraft. the tusks have less than a 1% chance of dropping per kill / bonus roll off the last boss of the 'siege of orgrimmar' raid.

UmYze8a.jpg

steps to do it:
1: have an alt with all bosses except garrosh killed in Siege of Orgrimmar
2: list dungeon finder group
3: swap to your plate character, request to join group you made
4: swap back to your alt, accept request
5: swap back to your main
6: enter SoO, pull the last mobs to garrosh to despawn garrosh / skip cutscene
7: kill the trash standing at g-diddy
8: kill garrosh and leave the party before last phase, this teleports you out of the instance
9: before you teleport out, loot garrosh, use your bonus roll, pray for tusks
10: be depressed as you get his stupid axe for the 500th time
11: when outside, log your alt and repeat; since alt wasn't in dungeon when garrosh was killed, you can respawn him

each run takes approximately 4-6 minutes, but you should spend a lot of time farming the frogs on timeless isle for bonus roll coins as well. so that adds quite a few hours to the farming.

took me around 800~ kills (so 4000 minutes + however many hours farming coins) to get my tusks

all in the name of transmog

some people aren't as lucky as i am ...

7BMqQxf.png

Last edited:

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't get a single rare drop after they raised the level cap to above 100 in ver.2.
Oh, PSO on dreamcast had some insanely ridiculous drop rate, even in ver2. It got much, much better with PSOGC and Blue Burst but there's still stuff like 1/100k chance to get a Heaven Punisher, or my own personal nemesis the Sealed J-sword at 1/12608.

Nana&Popo

May 6, 2018
Charm farming in earlier MH games is hellish. Luckily, the community developed RNG exploits and tools to help you snipe good charms.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Lucky egg in frlg
get it from Chansey
Which you can only find in the Safari zone

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Eh, the number of materials you need can get obnoxious in that game, but reward tickets are easy to farm, and you can just buy all your crafting materials then.
I just never had the patience after 160 hours. I really want them to rerelease it on Switch so I can finally get the Ares,