• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You say arbitrary as if there are non-arbitrary definitions out there.
Whiteness can't be based on skin color because it hasn't ever included all light-skinned peoples.

It can't be based on shared cultural experiences because radically different cultures have been absorbed into the fold.

It can't be based on genetics because whiteness is a complete social construct with no biological evidence to support the term.

So what exactly is whiteness?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The concept of a white people was borne specifically as a sociopolitical power play to keep poor whites from establishing camaraderie with indentured and enslaved peoples. People have been accepted into the group of whiteness not because of similarities in skin color (again, the British did not and still in some ways don't fuck with the Irish, even though they're both white) but based upon political convenience of having these various cultures be added to the fold.

So you tell me what "white culture" is. If it is something that can be defined, it's not a legacy that bodes well, especially in the context of black and brown folks' experiences.
I think you may be using a different definition of "culture" than is commonly understood? Culture is typically thought of in terms of artistic output and food and customs, that sort of thing.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
If you consider racism as just anecdotal prejudice, then yes, white people can experience that kind of racism, in an anecdotal way. I tend to prefer calling it "prejudice" rather than racism, because:
If you consider racism as a system of oppression encompassing power positions of entire groups, then no, white people don't experience racism at all. And that to me is the true definition of racism: being discriminated in a systemic way, rather than prejudiced in an anecdotal & individual basis way.

Individual white people can suffer from prejudice here and there from other individual people, but don't suffer from systemic racism at all.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think you may be using a different definition of "culture" than is commonly understood? Culture is typically thought of in terms of artistic output and food and customs, that sort of thing.
Do you think Germans put out the same food and art as Italians, who in turn put out the same food and art as the Irish? Hell, do Texans have the same culture as New Englanders? No. But somehow they're all "white."

Why? What is whiteness?

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
I have a question to those who say white people cannot be discriminated because of the power imbalance: if, for example, a Chinese person makes a prejudiced remark to a white person who lives in China, solely based on their race or skin colour, this doesn't count as racism in your perspective?

I appreciate the need to include the context of power imbalance, but surely there are other terms you can use. If the question is: are white people in general systematically oppressed in Western Europe and the US, then the answer would of course be no.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is that to call that anything other than racism is wrong that's what I'm getting at. I didn't mean to call you out specifically I have just seen this multiple times in this thread, sorry about that.
I agree, I shouldn't have started with the "no" it was poorly worded on my part. Anyhow, appreciated, you had me mildy mad with your comment ha

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Of course you can. It's also disheartening to see people say it's not important or doesn't need to be addressed. Racism is always lame and should always be something we strive to defeat.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Yeah, obviously an individual can be. But there's no systemic racism against white people in America, so it is usually not a big deal or anything to worry about here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yes, of course. People can always be terrible towards one another, and in small situations can wield hatred and stereotypes. But there's little if any institutional racism directed at we white people.
It doesn't have to be institutional racism to be racist. It can be what most people outside of the forum consider it. A hatred for a skin color.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
In North America and Europe, generally not. Other places in the world that are predominantly another race whom is in power, yes. A white person can also experience individual racism where a person simply does not like you because of your race or they think their race is inherently superior to yours, those are racist, that can exist in places like North America and Europe.

It's important to understand that with some races in particular, in the United States in particular, African Americans and Native Americans have especially dealt with systemic racism in a way that white people simply cannot experience. White people generally hold the power dynamic in this country as they tend to have more wealth, tend to occupy more positions of power and either the persistence of existing systemic racism or the effects of very harsh systemic racism in the past are still having an impact on those minorities in the present.

So in the United States, even when someone is being individually racist against other white people or a group of people are being that way, the effects are generally not the same because of that historical context.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hispanic in the south here.

Its not the same. White people are the benefactors of systemic oppression. The acts and implications are completely different in the extreme outlier case when white people are victimized... so much so that I can't take this question in good faith. They can experience someone people shitty to them. They cannot experience racism in the way that's actually culturally relevant.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I feel like people forget that America and Europe's long history of dominating the world, and cultural hegemony that has become even more prevalent in the 20th century (Hollywood hello?), has put white people in a place where they are generally seen in a positive light, a superior one, even in parts of the world where they'd be minorities (IE: Asia, Africa, etc).

Don't underestimate the power of cultural hegemony and its impact on white privilege. This is why white people are easily adopted in Asian countries, heck, I've even seen stories about how some Asian companies like to employ token white people over Asian people to make them look "fancier".

White cultural hegemony is worldwide at this point, and clearly not restricted to America & Europe only.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, anyone saying otherwise is being stupid. Just because your race is the one in a position of power or are the majority doesn't mean that individuals of that group can't experience racism.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Hispanic in the south here.

Its not the same. White people are the benefactors of systemic oppression. The acts and implications are completely different in the extreme outlier case when white people are victimized... so much so that I can't take this question in good faith. They can experience someone people shitty to them. They cannot experience racism in the way that's actually culturally relevant.
Fine could they experience a deep hatred from another person who is not white simply because they are white? Yes or no?

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have to be institutional racism to be racist. It can be what most people outside of the forum consider it. A hatred for a skin color.

I mention institutional racism mainly with my fellow white suburbanites I grew up with in mind - regularly claiming that society was institutionally racist toward them. When in reality it was just institutions slightly less prioritizing white people at the expense of all others.

honestrade

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously yes... not sure how this is even a question really. The fact that some posters actually say no is kind of unsettling.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Of course. White people aren't the only people capable of being racist.

Last edited:

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Is this for real? Where are these white people from (they're so short they may be gnomes and maybe that's why they are so clueless)? The "black" barbeque looks exactly the same as any "white" barbeque I've ever been to, but the white people are acting as if they landed on an alien planet.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Considering I've been assaulted for being white while just walking down the street, I'm going with yes.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Silly question, answer is yes.
The fact that there is a lot less racism against white people does not mean that it's impossible to be racist to them.

I can only assume the "no" replies in this thread are talking solely about systematic racism.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Of course. The real question is: Can racism towards white people put them at any systemic disadvantage?

The answer is no.

With that distinction said: I don't fuck with racists. Period. Yes, I've met people that hate white people and I drop them like a bad habit. Can't fuck with that.

And finally: Criticizing the legacy of white supremacy doesn't mean you're being racist against white people.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
It's my personal belief that we may be able to experience prejudice, but not racism. If you understand where that prejudice comes from and the historical factors at play, it's laughable to call it "racism" in the same vein as what we have towards other races. The element of systemic and societal power and oppression is not there. And if we can be victims of racism, it's on such a small scale and is fueled by the shit that we do and we harbor some of the responsibility for it.

If it's scary to some that people would answer "no" to the OP, it might be equally as scary to think some of the people saying "yes" may actually feel like they are victims.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people forget that America and Europe's long history of dominating the world, and cultural hegemony that has become even more prevalent in the 20th century (Hollywood hello?), has put white people in a place where they are generally seen in a positive light, a superior one, even in parts of the world where they'd be minorities (IE: Asia, Africa, etc).

Don't underestimate the power of cultural hegemony and its impact on white privilege. This is why white people are easily adopted in Asian countries, heck, I've even seen stories about how some Asian companies like to employ token white people over Asian people to make them look "fancier".

White cultural hegemony is worldwide at this point, and clearly not restricted to America & Europe only.

This is a crucial point people are missing when they claim white supremacy is US centric.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For which country? Race is a sub culture to national culture (white and black Americans share more in common culturally than with people that share their race from other countries).
Let's just go with America, for the sake of argument. What is white American culture?

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Point is that in US it seems all whites are considered as one big monolith. In europe that really isn't so. You can be definitely be discriminated despite being white. Even systematically. Just 80 years ago germans tried to exterminate most of slavs because of their race. Today you still see systematical racism against roma people. It's not as black and white as in US.

See, I agree with you but do have a question or two. Do you consider these examples to be white-on-white racism? Because when the context is Africa, it's dressed up as tribalism or ethnic conflict.

I agree with this. (It's not a discussion that can simply boiled down to a simple yes or no question).

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
So what is white culture?

There isn't one. In the United States, white people and their culture can probably be defined by some combination of their ancestry to whatever country they came from and the region in the United States they live in. There isn't one homogeneous white culture though.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Let's just go with America, for the sake of argument. What is white American culture?
I dunno, isn't it intrinsically difficult to define a culture while you're in it? But clearly there are differences in white and black cultures in America, or else it wouldn't be possible to appropriate black culture.

Country music is culturally white, I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
it's possible on an individual level for someone to have irrational prejudice against white people, I guess, but there's no systemic oppression or marginalization of white people so I wouldn't call that "racism" per se

Dec 23, 2017
Yes and no. The issue is let's say I call the cops on a white person over a stupid reason they are not likely to die from my actions. Racist from white to black wields way more power.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
See, I agree with you but do have a question or two. Do you consider these examples to be white-on-white racism? Because when the context is Africa, it's dressed up as tribalism or ethnic conflict.

Well I guess this depends on how you define racism. Is it solely because of skin color? I mean Roma people get discriminated also by their looks even though they are white. Not just by their culture. Even if you completely discard your roma culture and have high education and high paying job you will experience discrimination because how you look. isn't that racism? Another example. If you are white skinned person from middle east but still don't look like a western european you can't experience racism because your skin color?

Deleted member 835

User requested account deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People probaby got banned for it on here before during heated arguments.
The thing is not liking white people when you are black can't just be seen as racism. Like South Africa where a lot of discrimination to white people goes on. There is a reason why many black people there act that way, due to history.
It is the same in many countries.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.