• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

State of Play...

• Is a successful format for Sony, and one I hope they continue with

Votes: 372 18.8%
  • Is getting better, but not quite there yet

Votes: 544 27.4%
  • Is still nowhere being as good as it needs to be

Votes: 801 40.4%
  • I don't really care about State of Play, I want a return to live events

Votes: 267 13.5%

• Total voters

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The format was proven successful by Nintendo years ago.
Now the content seems to be the issue most people have.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
I can agree that Nintendo has once again served the role of trailblazer, for better or worse, when it comes to gaming.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
There is a pace and trailer cutting given by whoever puts together the Directs that just makes other presentations feel lacking. Kinda Funny Showcase is the only thing I've seen that really captures that same feeling.

Nintendo also just produces so much content compared to Sony or Microsoft that format lends itself better to them. They release between 10 to 20 games a year on their own that they can spotlight and Sony has Day's Gone, MLB, some VR games, and Death's Stranding for a full year. That isn't enough to support a rapid fire format like this without showing deep into the future or getting some quality 3rd party reveals.

Edit: Dreams Beta also before I get corrected.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
It's okay, and on a clear upswing, but it's still got some distance to go.

I was thinking about what the difference was, given the format now is so similar to the modern Direct "Headlines" approach. I think there's a few key issues, now:

* The format is *too* rigid. *Everything* is a 'Headline' , a block of standalone information with no relation to what comes before or after. The TLOU2 trailer was a prime example; immediately beforehand was the PSPlus TLOU-in-October reveal: That information belongs with the TLOU2 trailer! Contextualise it! "Here's TLOU2... and TLOU1 will be free on PSPlus in October!". (Also, "Available now" for that, if at all possible, would have been a rather more immediately exciting moment). The way the reveals took place in the SoP felt really weird and disjointed.

It does feel a little bit like the SoP is only really planned as a running order of trailers with a brief introduction, and the separation of the PS Plus reveal and the TLOU2 trailer highlighted that. They're starting to get the content right, but the delivery isn't there. Nintendo's Directs have evolved such that 'headlines' sequences are only part of the story; it's a full programme with separate features of which the headlines are just one. TLOU2 would have been better handled with a deeper dive, perhaps go into some systems, then conclude with the PS+ TLOU1.

* Talk more. NDs are a presentation with a VO that contextualises what you're seeing. These are games; help us understand how they are; inform us. I shouldn't have been left wondering if LA Noire VR is new content or the original game adapted to the VR interface, for instance. Humanity looks intriguing, and could be right up my street - but I don't really quite know what I'm looking at - is it puzzley? RTS-ey? Pikmin-ey? Is Wattam more of a Katamari-esque game or a Noby Noby Boy-esque toy? I'm happy either way, but I'd quite like to *know*!

* The last difference may be insurmountable... but, to be fair, it's very much a YMMV thing anyway. Sony are too cool, for want of a better word; Nintendo have cultivated an irreverence through recent years which means they can get away with being a bit silly in a way that Sony just can't. I think the Medievil Demo/Dan's Hat is a good example; I can't help but think that there's so much of a better way that information could have been delivered to the viewer in a way that matches up more with the irreverence inherent in the Medievil universe.

* Finally, there's another difference, and it's not really an aspect of the broadcast itself, but more the philosophy of the whole State of Play project when compared to Directs: It feels that State of Play is regarded within Sony as a way of getting trailers to peoples' eyes... and, currently at least, it doesn't seem to be aiming to do much more than that. Nintendo, on the other hand, does seem to be more invested in Direct with various marketing intiatives being integrated with the Direct system; shadowdrops are extremely common these days (we had, what, five shadowdrops in the last direct? Whereas here we had the Medievil demo?).

So here's how I'd structure it:

Promote the SoP explicitly the way Nintendo does; preannounce TLOU2 as the explicit centrepiece (we were all expecting it anyway), with other news around it.

Open with a high-profile reveal - that'd probably be CoD in this context. I'm surprised they didn't have Batman, that would have been a great item to put in there.
Segue into headlines. As mentioned above, don't leave them to just run trailers, but have the voiceover talk you through what you're seeing. Probably Medievil first, lean into the humour; follow with Humanity, Piccolo, the other reveals; possibly make the VR an explicit sub-section.The last headline should be Wattam, it's anticipated enough to cause some excitement and adorable enough to contrast with what's to come.

I'm in two minds about what to do about the The Show on PS+ reveal, because it's a significantly less enticing product in Europe. I happened to watch the US SoP but I just checked the Europe one and it is actually a different narrator - although the script seems the same. It felt really odd to have a full high-profile trailer for the baseball game and then just a quick throwaway "Hey, TLOU:R too" in a region where I imagine the latter is the bigger draw. I think possibly you swap the two reveals over depending on which region's SoP you're watching.

That said, I think the best method, as mentioned above, is to have a different game as the second highlight in October's PS+, and then shadowdrop TLOU:R for PS+ in the TLOU2 section - but that was probably not on the cards as an option!

End on TLOU2; talk about it first, maybe reveal some new mechanics; then shadowdrop TLOU:R if that was on the cards, and conclude on the trailer.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
SoPs appear to be a nice complement to conferences but not a substitute. I hope Sony maintains at least 2 big conferences per year, ideally E3 (or around it) in June and PSX in December.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
People saying they want it to be better really mean they just want megatons. Everyone overhypes themselves and then ends up disappointed.

Mengetsu

Oct 27, 2017
I love the format, people need to understand that PS4 is about to be done, they aren't going to have much more for the system and need to keep the expectations in check. If they still don't show some big reveals once PS5 is what we are talking about then sure let's stop this format.
Thank you. It's like people want these Nintendo Direct like bombs to hit. Switch life is in it's prime. PS4 is a year away from being done with TGS just passing last week we got tons of info. PSX should be the only legit thing people should be ready to get hype about.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Format is great. Looks identical to Nintendo format, and this is good.

The problem is the content. Will certainly get better after PS5 is out and we have new game announcements.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
It really feels like a soulless version of a Nintendo Direct. It's easy to compare, and it doesn't look good when you do that. Feel like this format works best for Nintendo where their devs/personalities are more customer-facing than Sony.

Ultimately it doesn't matter. The quality of each stream is going to come down to what the games are.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you. It's like people want these Nintendo Direct like bombs to hit. Switch life is in it's prime. PS4 is a year away from being done with TGS just passing last week we got tons of info. PSX should be the only legit thing people should be ready to get hype about.

What PSX ? Did I miss an announcement somewhere ?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
When was it not successful? Come on now.... the first time they dropped VII remake trailer I got chills down my spine

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Besides medievel and tlou 2 the stuff they showed suck (besides civilization but I've never played that). What in the ever loving hell was humanity? It looked like a wii game. And the music accompanying it was wack too.

Plus did the narrator pronounce it medy evil? It sounded weird. It's medieval except spelled evil.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the format is good as it is, perhaps could bec10 minutes more if we only get 3-4 a year.

Combining 3 to 4x 30 minutes a year plus one PSX event would be great.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't even bother watching and im a huge ps fan. They don't have the hype Nintendo directs get.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
the formats definitely way better
but their showings have still been bad
they can work on that though

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I have no strong feelings about it which is weird because I generally like Sony and get way-overhyped for Nintendo directs. I really have no method of explaining the discrepancy and I feel any attempt to quantify it would be incorrect and or be insulting people who are enjoying them.
this is me, but I hate live presentations, too much fluff and stupid crowd reactions and too drawn out.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
The format is not the issue, is the content. Today's most exciting thing for me after TLoU II Trailer was seeing that MLB 19 will be part of October's PS Plus Lineup.

If that doesn't speak to the quality of the show, then I don't know what will. Kind of makes me wonder if it was the best idea to move to this format at the end of this generation.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They did cram a lot into 20 mins, so I can only imagine what they'd do in a 30-40 mins Sony Dire- I mean State of Play, and while the content wasn't quite there yet, I do hope they keep doing it and experiment more with the presentation, because so far the disembodied voice and lack of punch between some transitions are a bit of a downer.
* The format is *too* rigid.
Yeah, this is the word I was looking for, it's very rigid, they need to give it more personality and using actual people during the presentation would help a lot with that. Hell, I don't even know what Koizumi does at Nintendo but I fucking love it when the guy shows up in a Direct.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
They have been fine for what they are.

But I still expect a big press conference for E3 2020.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The format is not the issue, is the content. Today's most exciting thing for me after TLoU II Trailer was seeing that MLB 19 will be part of October's PS Plus Lineup.

If that doesn't speak to the quality of the show, then I don't know what will. Kind of makes me wonder if it was the best idea to move to this format at the end of this generation.

It wasn't. I think people kind of forget how dull some of the Directs were during the days when the Wii U was an obvious failure.

I think these are overall successful for Sony. They could do better but I'll take these over the Inside Xbox format every single time.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know; did anyone really care for it prior to the TLOU2's trailer? Felt underwhelming and a bit of a ripoff of a Direct.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
The format is perfect. They could do with putting in more than 1 big thing at the end in these. Give me a good reason to want to watch the whole thing through.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Content will get better in time, I expect most multiplat titles to want the SoP attention than just releasing a video on Youtube on a random day.

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't. I think people kind of forget how dull some of the Directs were during the days when the Wii U was an obvious failure.

I think these are overall successful for Sony. They could do better but I'll take these over the Inside Xbox format every single time.
That's why I avoided comparing it with the Nintendo Directs because I do remember when they started they were awful.

I'm sure they'll get better, but right now the content isn't there. I haven't watched Inside Xbox so I can't comment on the quality of that format.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Depends on you're definition of successful.

If we define success for Sony as an effective means of delivering multiple advertisements in one go to a decently sized audience (one that would likely be much larger than many of the smaller games would receive otherwise), then sure, I don't think could argue that it's not. These videos likely don't cost a whole lot to produce (maybe a few thousand dollars if you add up the total labour cost) so Sony is likely getting there Money's worth over simply dumping the same trailers straight to their Youtube channel with no notice.

If we define success as are these presentations entertaining to watch on their own merit, then I'd say they're not quite there yet. The content Sony picks to fill these things with has been a bit ho-hum so far (though to be fair, this may not necessarily be entirely in Sony's control as they can only play the hand they have and that hand may naturally be a bit weak at the moment, given the generation draws to a close) and I think the format could use some more polish too.

The one way in which these presentations differ most significantly from Nintendo Directs is that they're a lot less verbose and more focused on delivering edited trailers. In Nintendo Directs, most headlines are just B-roll with the narrator delivering the information, with editted trailers only appearing during the spotlight segments. The script is often a bit cheesy but otherwise it gives the entire presentation a mostly consistent tone. By comparison, State of Play only features a very tiny bit of narration between the individual trailers, whilst said trailers speak for themselves. I personally find this makes the transitions a little jarring as we suddenly hard cut from a surious, solemnly toned trailer to the peppy English woman quickly delivering a few words too short of a cohesive sentence before hard cutting straight into the next tonaly disonent trailer. Not a big deal, but something I think Sony should work on refining (I'm not 100% sure how, maybe by making the narration a little less concise and adding some ever so slightly longer pauses between transitions, but stuff like that needs to be experimented with to find the right balance).

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Yeah it's a fine format. Wish they would be doing some kind of "one more thing" in addition to what they're showing. Not a huge fan of the narration either.

KamalaHarris

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer a live conference. Couldnt help but think while the TLOU2 trailer was playing how hyped it would have been with an audience cheering and gasping. The cinematic games just dont work for this format

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a better format for anyone involved for any company.

Imagine the cost of this kind of in-house production versus renting a big ass place for the press plus all the perks and merchandise given to everyone that attends. It's more cost effective and efficient way to share information with all the interested parties.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
The bigger problem is a lack of compelling content being announced. It's understandable, as they don't actually HAVE anything new to announce, as we already know about the last big exclusives ps4 will have. With Nintendo we expect a big surprise every time and they mostly deliver it.

Deleted member 59

They've taken a format that Nintendo have developed for years and made into the (imo) best way to share gaming news.

Sony are copying it fine, the overall content being shown off though just isn't amazing yet.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
I think it sucks personally. Completely devoid of the personality, fun, and excitement that a live show brings.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this. Inside Xbox feels really drawn out with so much filler and bad jokes. At least SoP keeps it straight to the point of showing what the fans want. I still prefer live events though... would have been amazing seeing the crowd reaction to Joel.

Also I much preferred the old graphics they used than the updated ones for the game transitions. The new ones looked like they came from the year 2005 with all those bezels/shadows.

Was the only thing I could think of when seeing it. Looked so weird since the rest of State of Play has a quite modern look. (Logo, loading animation before going live)

Dashful

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Where's the it's been getting worse each time option but I'm hoping to see it find its feet.

Today's was really bad. Nothing of interest outside of the Katamari creator game trailer.