• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I knew a hispanic girl who wasn't allowed to date black dudes (always pleasant to get that preemptive ban) so yeah

TravoltaWatchesYou

Alt account
Banned
Aug 24, 2019
Yes, I think my dead, Mexican grandma who hated black people and only wanted her daughters to marry whites and Jews was in fact racist.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Of course. People that belong to the discriminated group can still contribute to the injustice towards that group.

We all live in a racist and sexist society and to different degrees internalize those issues.

Usually, belonging to a group makes you more understanding and gives you first hand insight. But it affects every one

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Mexicans and Hispanics have a uh, hard time when it comes to black people. Lots of prejudice there.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Technically. But not in the true sense of the word. Race is not biological. It is a socio-economic principle that relies on power.

POC do not hold this countries power or have economic sway. So I'll leave it at that....

Yes. I think it's important to say that poc can contribute towards racism towards poc.

But a poc having prejudiced views about white people is not "racism" in any equivalent sense. Racism is about power and prejudice. Not just prejudice.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So a homeless POC cannot possibly be racist even if they absolutely hate other races?

You don't require any power to be racist. That's illogical.

My dude...why are you fighting me? I'm just pointing that his girl's position is one taken in some academic circles.

See. This is what I meant about threads like this one. It always comes down to this particular point. People who go by the academic one and others with a strong reaction against it.

It comes down to how you define racism. And if you include bigotry/prejudice within it or keep it strictly related to institutional power.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was arguing with my partner about this tonight, and it's got me curious how the fine folks of ERA feel.

I believe that if a POC hates / commits hateful action towards someone because of the color of their skin, that still qualifies as racist. Same for a woman hating an individual the second they encounter them purely because they're male. She believes that if you're the oppressed party, you cannot be racist / sexist / etc.

I'm almost always on the progressive side of conversations with people, so this caught me completely by surprise. Your thoughts?

Neither of you is strictly correct.
Depends on direction. Prejudice by black people against white people is not racist.

Prejudice by Hispanics and black people against black people is racist. Why? Because it falls within the feamwork of white supremacy.

Poc doesn't make you immune from being racist. Being white makes you immune from experiencing racism

Deleted member 34725

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Anyone else find it odd when someone would use the term "reverse-racism" to describe someone being racist toward a white person?

Always seemed like a boomer term to me.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My dude...why are you fighting me? I'm just pointing that his girl's position is one taken in some academic circles.

See. This is what I meant about threads like this one. It always comes down to this particular point. People who go by the academic one and others with a strong reaction against it.

It comes down to how you define racism. And if you include bigotry/prejudice within it or keep it strictly related to institutional power.

I don't think you're completely correct about the academic position. A poc cant be racist against whites, but poc can be racist against poc.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've met some women that are more sexist and misogynistic than men, tbh. So yeah, of course.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you're completely correct about the academic position.

Actually, if you can elaborate/clear it up better for me, I'd appreciate it. I'm flying off the cuff here when I should be sourcing (which I can't do in the middle of short breaks at work).

(I just realised I should clear it up and mention the: "prejudice + power" position rather than the word vomit I have above or make it seem like it's universally accepted in academic circles)

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Technically. But not in the true sense of the word. Race is not biological. It is a socio-economic principle that relies on power.

POC do not hold this countries power or have economic sway. So I'll leave it at that....
Individuals of any color can hold power and economic sway. The question is whether individual POC can be racist.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Actually, if you can elaborate/clear it up better for me, I'd appreciate it. I'm flying off the cuff here when I should be sourcing (which I can't do in the middle of short breaks at work).

Contributes to white supremacy, subjugation of poc equals racist. So black cops shooting black men can be the result of racism.

A POC having prejudiced views about white people is prejudice. It's not racism. Racism happens when there's prejudice and power.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
PoC being racist toward other minorities contributes toward white supremacy but they'll never ride the wind off of it. A PoC being prejudice toward a white person will never be equal to the inverse because of the persistent overarching dynamic at play.

Last edited:

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
I think it's easier to just boil it down to bigotry or race hate and not turn it into a debate over what racism is/isn't.

Racists revel in the non-stop debate about whether certain groups of people can be racist or not.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Many of the posts in here need the "... in America / Europe" suffix added, as these statements make zero sense in the context of India (untouchable caste), China, Japan, Brazil, etc.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I was arguing with my partner about this tonight, and it's got me curious how the fine folks of ERA feel.

I believe that if a POC hates / commits hateful action towards someone because of the color of their skin, that still qualifies as racist. Same for a woman hating an individual the second they encounter them purely because they're male. She believes that if you're the oppressed party, you cannot be racist / sexist / etc.

I'm almost always on the progressive side of conversations with people, so this caught me completely by surprise. Your thoughts?

Recommended reading for you and your partner. (And everyone)

People love spouting their opinions about race. Yet most are completely ignorant on the topic. Imagine if the same applied to physics?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
New rule you're not allowed to use institutional racism as the definition of racism

Most people when they just say racism don't mean especially in a non academic sense

If you are you have to be very specific what you mean

It makes conversation a lot less annoying

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
That's not racism. Just prejudice.
Poc sailing using the wind is racism in your analogy.
I'm not sure how a PoC could sail with the wind as it's always against them, being the systemic issues that white racists can ride upon but PoC - even those prejudice (and herein I see the distinction of terms) - would have to fight against regardless.

In that challenge though you've made clear the distinction as replacing prejudice with racist in that sentence felt misplaced. So I appreciate you doing so.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
This conversation ends up happening ALL the time on here.

Someone will say it's not possible for a POC to be racist because they don't have power, another person who has never heard of systemic racism will be, like, "wtf" since 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of people don't think systemic racism is the same as racism.

People changing the definition of words, and then arguing with someone who still uses the common definition of that word, is so goddam tiring to see.

Not everyone has a subscription to Woke Magazine, they don't know the new terms.
EBKUtHe.gif

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Many of the posts in here need the "... in America / Europe" suffix added, as these statements make zero sense in the context of India (untouchable caste), China, Japan, Brazil, etc.

White supremacy exists in the entire world. Unless you tell me that American media and culture isn't consumed in those countries?

In east Asia, racism regarding white and black people is almost entirely informed by western white supremacy

Racism is different everywhere. But the themes are almost entirely conserved.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
White supremacy exists in the entire world. Unless you tell me that American media and culture isn't consumed in those countries?

In east Asia, racism regarding white and black people is almost entirely informed by western white supremacy

Racism is different everywhere. But the themes are almost entirely conserved.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure how a PoC could sail with the wind as it's always against them, being the systemic issues that white racists can ride upon but PoC - even those prejudice (and herein I see the distinction of terms) - would have to fight against regardless.

In that challenge though you've made clear the distinction as replacing prejudice with racist in that sentence felt misplaced. So I appreciate you doing so.

Not all poc the same. Colorism. Different privilege. Etc. Just being a minority doesn't mean you're not racist. You think Hispanics and Asians don't contribute to white supremacy? It's complex and nuanced. Just being a minority doesn't make you magically immune

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, of course. The definitions are clear enough.

racism
noun

rac·ism | \ ˈrā-ˌsi-zəm also -ˌshi- \

Definition of racism

1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

2a : a doctrine or political program based on the assumption of racism and designed to execute its principles

b : a political or social system founded on racism

3 : racial prejudice or discrimination

sexism
noun

sex·ism | \ ˈsek-ˌsi-zəm \

Definition of sexism

1 : prejudice or discrimination based on sex especially : discrimination against women

2 : behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex
Someone who argues that people of color can't be racist, or women can't be sexist, may have the misconception that institutional racism and sexism are the only kinds that count. Anyone who's personally experienced discrimination can tell you that's nonsense.

There's no doubt that institutional discrimination is more damaging overall, as it's defined by the oppression of entire groups across society.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This conversation ends up happening ALL the time on here.

Someone will say it's not possible for a POC to be racist because they don't have power, another person who has never heard of systemic racism will be, like, "wtf" since 99.99999999999999999999999999999% of people don't think systemic racism is the same as racism.

People changing the definition of words, and then arguing with someone who still uses the common definition of that word, is so goddam tiring to see.

Not everyone has a subscription to Woke Magazine, they don't know the new terms.

Racism implies racial hierarchy. Prejudice is not the same. Racism is systemic by its very definition

Status
Not open for further replies.