pksu

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Well HW RT is a method to sample environments enabling lots of different algorithms. It can be used as an afterthought gimmick and that is the usual way at the moment. Designing lighting around just HW RT isn't feasible as long as there aren't enough users with proper HW. And in the end it might not even look drastically different for the player. But no-one is asking players really. No-one asked if players wanted compute shaders either.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they're shockingly amazing because in Minecraft, due to the nature of the game, I can craft things keeping actual light physics in mind, with proper diffusion over surface areas, pinhole effects, etc. As a photographer who has just the most basic understanding of how light interacts with things, it is *MASSIVELY* awesome to have it in such dynamic capabilities.(
And then we got Quake over here shooting pew pew lasers and watching it light up rooms and reflect off the materials etc.

Sure, a rasterized game can pretty much perfectly mimick any random screenshots from these, but it's the dynamic element that makes it so fucking mindblowing, to be able to have such accurate and beautiful lighting effects not just baked into the textures, but just as a part of what you can do as a player.

I mean Minecraft and Quake RTX run at above 100fps on my 2070 soooo

This is how I feel playing Control.
The reflection is neat, but what gets a "Woah!" out of me is light reacting to things and the feel that it makes sense.
It is difficult to explain, but a room is not only well-lit, the light is coming from somewhere and when you mess with that somewhere, it changes how it should change.
It is weird.

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Did OP try Metro Exodus with the full on global illumination? Or just some experiments, like Battlefield 5?

Joris-truly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
I'm with you OP. RT is neat and all, don't get me wrong, but until it becomes mandatory (like when hardware 3D acceleration was required for some for games to even boot in the early 00's) i'll stick with my rasterisation only card, thnx.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I've seen quite a few people on various sites downplaying raytracing over the past few days. I don't know why someone would do this? As someone who's been gaming for 30+ years, I think raytracing is phenomenal. I think it's one of the biggest leaps in graphics in a long time. We're barely scratching the surface with raytracing in games. Sometime in the near future, all games will feature raytracing, and thank the gaming Gods for that.

Myself

Nov 4, 2017
I've seen quite a few people on various sites downplaying raytracing over the past few days. I don't know why someone would do this? As someone who's been gaming for 30+ years, I think raytracing is phenomenal. I think it's one of the biggest leaps in graphics in a long time. We're barely scratching the surface with raytracing in games. Sometime in the near future, all games will feature raytracing, and thank the gaming Gods for that.
I don't think the issue is whether it's "better" it's whether it's "worth it" give the heavy price you pay in performance. For me the answer is "No" because I only really see a small improvement and most of the improvements I don't eve notice (Like puddles, screen space reflections look pretty realistic to me).

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
if you say so

2019-07-15_18.47.54prjuk.png

2019-07-15_18.45.11wijna.png

ptgi-2-scaled.jpg

Jeepman87

Sep 16, 2020
Discussing raytracing is a nuanced conversation. It's not a binary "good" or "bad". A big part of the equation is how the dev chooses to implement the technology.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
I know this is going to be a very controversial opinion but I gotta be real here. I managed to get a gaming PC that supports Ray Tracing tried it out on a few games that supported RT & was quite disappointed in the results. I mean yeah RT gives out some nice reflections and shadowing among other things. But I don't see the big deal over it. Maybe I didn't have a powerful enough system or maybe I didn't tweak my settings right but personally, I don't think it's a big deal to have on some games.

I don't know maybe my opinion is wrong and needs to be corrected but I don't care enough about RT. Maybe someone can give out why it's good to have RT then by all means. I'm open to it.

Tbh I agree. HDR is more important to me then anything else which is probably weird lol.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
RT is much more than reflections. The biggest impact of Ray tracing will come from RTGI, or global illumination, which will guarantee accurate lighting model for most circumstances, specially for indirect lighting. This requires the hardware to compute hundreds of millions of rays per second, so it's still ways off. The goal is eventually have full Ray traced GI, shadows, reflections, and that will look so unbelievably realistic that it'll be clear what a revolution in graphics Ray tracing is. Unfortunately that'll require a GPU to compute billions of rays per second, so we're a good 10-15 years away from that, but it's almost certainly the future of graphics.

There are two issues with prebaked lighting.

First, it exponentially increases dev time. A game like TLOU 2 can look astonishing on an ancient underpowered machine like a base PS4, but at the expense of hundreds of thousands of man hours since every object has to have light prebaked depending on how the scene is laid out. If the director has to move objects around then it's much more work for everyone because the lighting all has to be recalculated.

It also constrains game design. It works in games like TLOU 2 which have static weather and daytime scenes, so the artists and director always have full control of the lighting, but a game with dynamic weather and lighting elements require more flexible lighting implementations.
As someone who purchased a 3080 and is super excited about all this, this is how I feel as well largely. There is a lot more to it than just reflections, but that's the big difference between a lot of current methods and pre-baked setups. The difference long term is actually considerable better workflow for modelers, animators and environmental artists etc. I remember doing a lot of photometric stuff with Global Illumination, Ray Tracing etc in my 3D modeling and animation classes before I went into CS and It can save a ton of time for artists and let me tell you, the art is... TIME CONSUMING. In my experience, though limited, the art takes the most time. So it could be big for work flow. But until it's become absolutely standard they'll still be doing a lot by hand. There's daylight systems and such obviously, but many lights have to be controlled and manipulated manually instead of just giving them natural settings.

I said as much before (quoted myself). It's just not realized in a beneficial way on the players side at this point. So it's not really a sellable angle yet. I used to have to wait an hour or more on some scenes to render with RT back in Autodesk. Then the department got a server farm and that became a few minutes. But It's amazing how far we've come.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
The next gen console support it, sure. But I still just don't think there's enough power there for it for proper implementations.

Sounds like next gen consoles all over! Not quite there for 1080p and/or 60fps, then not quite there for 4k, then not quite there for ray tracing. They always shoot for the next big target, but always end up with a "nearly" implementation of it.

Ryukori

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I agree. I actually have to go out of my way to notice it. It's a feature I wouldn't even notice during normal gameplay. It's such a huge performance hit for such little gain, in my opinion.

Sblargh

Oct 25, 2017
Most videos I see with the RTX On / Off comparison have a static scenario or one where light isn't really changing and I feel like people are not getting what makes the technology cool.
For example, any RT screenshot is just a pretty picture, maybe with cool reflections.
And then you have a person walking in broad daylight with RTX Off and in broad daylight with RTX On and you are squinting to see the difference.
Or someone turns it on "Yeah ok cool" turns it off "oh I don't see a difference" and keeps playing.

What blew my mind is how natural the light changes feel. Screenshot can't capture *change*.
And change depends on what you do, which is why I also think that playing a game versus watching a video is a big difference.

www.youtube.com

Control PC: Ray Tracing's Killer App? Plus: Full Xbox One X vs PC Comparison!

Alex returns with a deep dive into Remedy's amazing Control. Is this the most fully featured ray tracing game yet available? Does Nvidia's RTX line finally h...

Like, look at how much of this video is a static camera looking at something.
Even with Nvidia's own video examples I'm like "ahhh show motion!" lol
Like, real motion, real change, go between two rooms that have different environments, go outside and then inside, knock a lamp down.

I mean, it's where I am.
I was skeptical, I played Control, now I am preaching. And I watched a lot of videos and did nothing for me, then I played the game and it clicked that this is how games should always feel.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The performance hit is far too high for reflections alone. The ambient lighting changes from surface scattering and stuff can be great. But many titles do such a good job mimicking or approximating for a fraction of the cost already.

If we're talking nearly double the frames with RTX off, I'm gonna take RTX off.

Yeah this video doesn't convince me that it's worth the performance hit. Sure, the reflections in the puddles or car windows look nice... but you're hardly going to be noticing that while playing, compared to a butter smooth framerate.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The issue here is that approximation got so close to the real deal that it gets more and more difficult to say what's more accurate. The difference between no shadows or no ambient occlusion to them being enabled is pretty obvious. But if you enable the diffuse lighting in Control is just so subtle and often just "change" the looks it becomes difficult to say "it looks better" or "it looks more real"; you had to analyse the whole scene, the lighting and the light sources and do some mathematics to say what's more accurate, it's simply not as obvious.

Reflections on the other hand are a bit more obvious and some scenes with ray traced global illumination in combination with ray traced shadows however can look quite amazing. But it's not a game changer for any given scenario in a game and there will be scenes were it's more apparent and good looking than in others.

Also, more accurate rendering doesn't automatically means "better looking" in every scenario. Real life can look quite dull at times, too.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I think the point of ray tracing is to save development time on accurate portrayal of shadows and lighting. It'll save a LOT of crunch when consoles can finally push it out with ease. Plus, it's a heck of a lot more accurate than manual lighting.

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There probably won't ever be game changers like 3D and HD ever again. Just small improvements that will eventually make a big difference over time.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think like that OP, but then watch dogs legion seems like a different game with rt on.. I think I'm convinced.

Abhor

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Until it gets to a point where there isn't a massive performance trade-off for it I'm not interested.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Ray tracing is one of those things like PBR and ambient occlusion where a bunch of people will think it looks "weird" and not worth the effort with early implementations at the start of the generation, but by the end of it any game missing RT will look completely "wrong" and flat.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Once it becomes standard and normal, it's one of those things that makes the space feel more real without beating you over the head about existing.

It's ok to not care. Eventually it's just going to be part of the standard.

eddieXVI

Oct 27, 2017
Raytracing can look so much better, than what games currently offer, but you have to start somewhere.
Just look for the Unreal Engine Tech Demo with the stormtroopers in the elevator.
It's the rendering technique that's used for special effects in movies after all and games will achieve this quality eventually with more powerful hardware.

I haven't researched how RT exactly works in current game engines.
But it looks like most materials are rendered as usual with some RT effects slapped on the most reflective surfaces and RT is used for more exact shadow calculation.
So it seems it's not used for all materials and that's why it looks a little underwhelming for now (apart of highly reflective surfaces).

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I partially agree with OP, especially in regards to consoles where raytracing is so far very limited. The nice reflections and shadow improvements we get with raytracing are imo not worth the massive hit on performance. If you would just leave out raytracing you would be able to push the performance or visual fidelity in other ways that might have more of an impact to how the game runs and looks. At least on consoles raytracing seems like a marketing buzzword.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this video doesn't convince me that it's worth the performance hit. Sure, the reflections in the puddles or car windows look nice... but you're hardly going to be noticing that while playing, compared to a butter smooth framerate.
Reflections in Watch Dogs is more than puddles and car windows, it effectively applies to everything from walls to stones and bricks and even includes clothing accessories like hats and umbrellas. Physically speaking reflection is a part of lighting, so when objects in the world having convincing reflections they appear to "fit" in the environment naturally rather than look like they were created once in a 3D modelling software and then the same object is placed across the entire world with no variation to them which is what makes it look like it doesn't belong in that place.

It's not something you'll notice instantly when you are "looking for it" because puddles and windows are the only in your face effect, but there are more reflective objects in the world that aren't puddles and windows. And like any good effect it's one of those subtle effects that you subconsciously notice it when it's not there as things don't seem quite right without it once you've played the game with it.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
I tried out like 10 or so games on pc with Ray Tracing. Most left me unimpressed or simply with the thought of, "yeah this looks different but does it look better? "

The only game that impressed was Control and that game brought my 2060 to its knees .

I doubt many if any ps5 games or Xbox games will have a full suite of RT options like control does either.

I'll take it , but if it is RT at 30 vs No RT at 60. Framerate will always win for me

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I know this is going to be a very controversial opinion but I gotta be real here. I managed to get a gaming PC that supports Ray Tracing tried it out on a few games that supported RT & was quite disappointed in the results. I mean yeah RT gives out some nice reflections and shadowing among other things. But I don't see the big deal over it. Maybe I didn't have a powerful enough system or maybe I didn't tweak my settings right but personally, I don't think it's a big deal to have on some games.

I don't know maybe my opinion is wrong and needs to be corrected but I don't care enough about RT. Maybe someone can give out why it's good to have RT then by all means. I'm open to it.

Are you crazy OP? Ray Tracing is the new gospel and you need to get on with the program! How dare you. Retract your statement and start singing the praise. Right now.

/s of course but you never know because theres so many people around who may be seriously thinking this.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Reflections in Watch Dogs is more than puddles and car windows, it effectively applies to everything from walls to stones and bricks and even includes clothing accessories like hats and umbrellas. Physically speaking reflection is a part of lighting, so when objects in the world having convincing reflections they appear to "fit" in the environment naturally rather than look like they were created once in a 3D modelling software and then the same object is placed across the entire world with no variation to them which is what makes it look like it doesn't belong in that place.

It's not something you'll notice instantly when you are "looking for it" because puddles and windows are the only in your face effect, but there are more reflective objects in the world that aren't puddles and windows. And like any good effect it's one of those subtle effects that you subconsciously notice it when it's not there as things don't seem quite right without it once you've played the game with it.
I know what you're saying, but I still think that outside of those clear-cut reflections, the effect is still too subtle for it to be worth the perf hit.

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
It has had good and bad implementations.

The game I'm most familiar with is Control and that had an amazing implementation. I honestly felt a little sorry for gamers who didn't get to experience it with RT effects.

The more familiar developers get with the technology, the more likely we are to see impressive implementations. It won't be long and gamers will simply come to expect RT and any game that doesn't utilise it will somehow seem wrong or lifeless.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Ray tracing is significantly more important to me than 60fps that's for sure. I love the examples I've seen and what it adds to a game visually.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ray tracing significantly reduces dev time thats one major reason there is a push for it or mixed solutions, on top of more natural lighting etc there is way less to develop or do when it comes to lighting that's why there is a push the less devs need to work on that the more time can be spent elsewhere developing. It's good to adopt and understand now it will make games lighting systems way easier to make.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
People need to realise that Ray Tracing is still in its infancy when it comes to gaming but is absolutely going to become the standard in the future. Right now not every implementation is going to be good and the performance hit is always high but you have to start somewhere. If anything I'm impressed by the GI we got in Metro Exodus, the fully path traced Quake 2 and the reflections in WD3. Saying it's overrated doesn't make sense because it simply can't be when everything done now is building towards a very desirable end goal.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I know what you're saying, but I still think that outside of those clear-cut reflections, the effect is still too subtle for it to be worth the perf hit.
It's a 17% performance hit with DLSS, we make that kind of performance sacrifices all the time even in non RT games for things like fancier volumetric lighting, particles, more accurate shadows or clouds. Infact there's a bigger performance hit going 1440P to 4K native without RT, than there is going 1440P to 4K DLSS with RT. And the difference between native 4K and 4K DLSS is miniscule in comparison to what this offers I feel.

When I saw the game in video I thought the same, that it's just shiny puddles and cars. But actually playing it for about 22 hours now I just simply can't go back to non RT reflection in a game like this where RT reflections are done like this. It effectively changes the look of the materials, and is in a way equivalent to playing the game with a less accurate PBR vs proper PBR if such an option existed, not immediately apparent in a video but very easily visible while actually playing where you are the one controlling the camera.

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think RT looks really fucking nice. It's somerhing I'll turn on in the future but for now I'm going FPS over effects.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I does look nice but for me it is not worth the performance hit.

Same with native 4k

I hope most games next gen will have a performance mode where I can choose a higher frame rate instead of native 4k/Ray Tracing

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
We need much more power for far less cost and heat before it's used in the way it's been dreamed of.

Every machine having Ray tracing will help so the consoles having it is great but they're weak sauce in comparison to where we need to be. Ray tracing is the future and it's just starting now.

Jan 21, 2019
While I do believe that RT is the next big thing and necessary for the future of graphics, I have switched between rt on and off in Control more times than I care to admit and it is just not that impressive. Yes it does look better and more consistent and it's lovely to see the problems of rasta lighting addressed but it's just nothing that pops into your face screaming. I mean compare Control with RT to Demon's Souls. DS looks instantly next gen, now doubt about it. So as long as we have other areas to boost that will make a bigger difference for the specific game, rt shouldn't be the focus. I'd rather have next gen geometric complexity with standard lighting that slightly better geometry with flawless AO, shadows and reflections.

Minecraft looks insane but it's minecraft, we are half a decade or more away from a AAA games with that lighting quality.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Ray Tracing is cool, but the SSDs are the star of next gen, followed be improvement of online services and input device improvements (ie haptic feedback, VR, AR, etc).

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Not controversial. Sorry that some of us don't like staring at reflections all day and are more focused on gameplay itself. When you're too hone in on the action, there's just certain things you're not going to be able to pay much attention to

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Not controversial. Sorry that some of us don't like staring at reflections all day and are more focused on gameplay itself. When you're too hone in on the action, there's just certain things you're not going to be able to pay much attention to

There's way more to ray tracing than just reflections. Seems like people just haven't bothered to look into what it actually is or does and how it's used in certain games before dismissing it as a gimmick or being "overrated".