• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's the same here in Canada. According to all the conservatives you see on social media, Justin Trudeau has "destroyed" Canada. It's a fucking delusion that conservatives keep feeding to each other, and it's extremely tiresome.

Yeah its incredibly fucking tiresome and just baffling to read. The conservatives in Alberta are un-fucking-bearable. Ive been in the trades for about 15 years and while i've met a handful of progressives, and my city is fairly progressive, the vast majority of them are racist and xenophobic, they think immigrants are coming to steal their jobs.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
By America they mean the domination of straight white men that is being destroyed. For some people who are not even straight white men they've been brainwashed that that's what America is supposed to be.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
The ruling class has gotten extremely good at exploiting unchecked capitalism at the expense of the masses, and unfortunately the masses aren't particularly great at conceptually untangling interlocking power systems in order to understand and fix these problems - it doesn't help that there is little incentive for progressive messaging to reach these demographic blocs due to how partisan politics are currently set up.

Furthermore, the GOP positions itself as socially regressive, and I think that rural Republicans conflate social and economic policies and assume that Republican lawmakers also aspire to turn back time on how the economy has been transformed over the past 100 years in the face of decades of inevitable technological and structural changes. Obviously, reversing these changes is entirely impossible.

Edit: I mean, there is also the stuff about Christian values and stuff, but I wanted to primarily cover the economic anxieties of a "ruined" America in my answer.

Last edited:

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Far right conservatives have been waging a decades long propaganda war against the American people in an effort to, essentially, not realize who is responsible for many of the issues plaguing the country. Many folks have been conditioned to see government involvement with anything as this apex bogeyman that will lead to the destruction of the country. The sad thing is that those who most desperately need a strong government are often the ones who most fervently fight against it, because the ultra rich managed to convince people that becoming wealthy is simply a matter of effort, and that they only need to grind to ascend into upper class. And once they're there, they get to reap the benefits of a low impact government, but of course, barely anyone actually climbs the economic ladder anymore.