• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dreaver

Oct 27, 2017
Do games like CoD get funded/sponsored by the American army? Because movies do. Hollywood is like the most expensive commercial ever, for the American army.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Doesn't surprise me. Modern CoD for me have nothing that important to say, and judging by this, projection and washing away history.

Consider now that U.S. Imperialism is basically naked and entirely in the open as Trump has recently talked about stationing U.S. troops in Syria to literally steal their oil.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
why would they make a fictional country but then use real world place names when referencing real world events

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
Video Game Series With Long History Of Serving As Propaganda For The Worst Nation On Earth Continues To Serve As Propaganda For The Worst Nation On Earth

Oct 29, 2017
I bet you'd have a lot more people complaining if Wolfenstein swapped the Germans and the Americans around...

That's basically what they're doing here with COD. But you know, it's ok here because AMERICA FUCK YEAH!! No wonder Sony Russia wanted nothing to do with this...

But of course, you know, this game isn't political at all; so it's all ok! All fun and games, right?

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
If you think that's bad, wait till you see how Russia massacres all those people in Vietn-- U-Uh, I mean the fictional country of Zietnam in the upcoming reboot of Call of Duty: Black Ops.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
There was a time I enjoyed COD....I remember taking and defending Pegasus Bridge and crossing the Volga into Stalingrad back in the day.
That seems like a long time ago now,lol.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Not heavily drawing on real world history. Not at all.
Also Life is Strange 2's Creative Director:

Q: The game is very much set in this specific current political climate. It's reacting to things that are happening in our real world, like with its mention of Donald Trump's wall on the Mexico-US border. That situation is, even now, evolving every day--is what's going on in the real world filtering down to you as you make each new episode, and are you responding to what's happening in our world?

A: I don't think we want to make statements, for sure. It's not the purpose of our game. It's more about putting the players in interesting situations where they can think about all those subjects. The idea is not to make political statements or to say this is good or this is bad

In a game where you trek across Trump's America as a minority meeting racists and a character literally says "everything is political". Definitely not making a political statement at all.

Oct 26, 2017
The Gulf War was largely a good decision by the United States and it's still in dispute whether or not the Highway of Death was a war crime (because while Iraqi soldiers were retreating... They were still in a country they had invaded). Seems bizarre and stupid to blame this in universe on Russia.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just say it's fictional then, since that's seems like a get out of jail card?
I wish since CoD devs don't know how to respectfully depict real world events but if it was all fictional, maybe that would affect their funding and sponsorships? Don't know. I would love for them to try, cause hoping there's The Line levels of self reflection and criticism is too far.

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lets ask the US military and American weapon manufacturers who consult with the Call Of Duty developers that, maybe they might be open to the idea of criticism?

Play Modern Warfare 2 then come back here with that stuff.

I see a multitude of comments talking about something they clearly haven't played or experienced. With that said, When it comes to things like revisionism, COD needs to be on one side of the fence. Either realistic with actual truth in the events they depict or go all fictional. Don't bounce between the two because then it just becomes dishonest.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This was legitimately one of my biggest issues with the game's campaign and it's insane how the plot brushes that off after letting the player know in the VERY FIRST MISSION the international ramifications of killing Russian soldiers. I suppose cuz they're under the command of a rogue general it's okay? Still, the player has no way of knowing that until halfway in. So until then you're controlling an American killing a bunch of Russians with US UAVs and other drones wondering to yourself if this is going to cause an international incident. So dumb.
The other thing being even if that dude went rogue, Russia never formally disowns him until the end of the game. So he was basically doing his shit for decades and Russia was seemingly ok with it. So there's no way for western forces to know he was not doing his country's bidding.

And everytime him and his forces are referenced they are named as "Russians", not a fictional unit/organisation like "Farah's army" or "AQ"....but "Russians". Yet they have no issues directly shooting them.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game seems to have a unhealthy dose of Russian bot activity on metacritic...

I mean, Russia is *always* being portrayed as the bad guys...,thats most of the argument on there.Truth is... in real life, they generally are the bad guys. NOT Russian civilians, but their Government and it's heinous behavior. Funding and allowing Russian EX-milatary with BUK missles with which they shot down a CIVILLIAN passanger plane over Crimea, Suppressing freedom and equality for minority groups in Russia, propping up an evil dictator, Assad, supplying him and the Syrian Government with chemical weapons which he used earlier on the the Syrian civil war, secretly funding right wing governments and anti-establishment parties across the world, dangerously in Europe, Africa etc, invading+annexing neighboring Sovereign nations, and then interfering in the free and fair democratic elections of other Sovereign nations to prop up candidates that will turn a blind eye to their evil deeds, they did make Donald J Trump POTUS.SO,
I mean, the Russian Government must be the good guys, Am I right?

Oct 27, 2017
I wish since CoD devs don't know how to respectfully depict real world events but if it was all fictional, maybe that would affect their funding and sponsorships? Don't know. I would love for them to try, cause hoping there's The Line levels of self reflection and criticism is too far.

The Lines is what every war game should be to be honest. And I would love to see more games being so honest about what war is, instead of being a reqruiting tool for the US Armed Forces.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
It's just a work of "fiction", a tasteless one at that. I mean, I'm sure that out of thousands of people working on games like this they could create fictional stories that aren't almost directly lifted from real life. What did they expect?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I also liked IW. Totally fictional setting and events, and it's the least America fuck yea COD out there. Your crew is made up of people from all around the world wearing flags of their own country and while some may say it's basically Earth = US and Mars = Soviet Russia, that's a bit of a reach as we've had the same setting in other media as well (most notably The Expanse). The story is about the crew and the characters instead so it is a lot more personable.

Oct 25, 2017
Should stick to future settings since these guys can't write for shit.

'It's fiction' doesn't cut it. Jingoist tripe like this deserves to be called out regardless of the medium.
Foh with that weak excuse.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
The Gulf War was largely a good decision by the United States and it's still in dispute whether or not the Highway of Death was a war crime (because while Iraqi soldiers were retreating... They were still in a country they had invaded). Seems bizarre and stupid to blame this in universe on Russia.
I believe their is a lot of claims that the Iraqis were complying with the U.N orders to leave Kuwait and was heavily bombed for it. Not to mention the convoy was littered with refugees, and other civilians fleeing with the Iraqi army.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Thousands of videogames and you found one example from 1984, that arguably is just a standard shooter. My point stands.
I believe there's another Japanese game from 2016 that counts and is story-focused, but I'm trying to be a little graceful.

I was also thinking of pointing to how Wolfenstein has had KKK as enemies, but I'm sure there are some Americans who like to think of them as some sort of foreign entity.

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Video Game Series With Long History Of Serving As Propaganda For The Worst Nation On Earth Continues To Serve As Propaganda For The Worst Nation On Earth

Russian bot.

Seriously though, Russia stopped USA illegally ousting Assad and lo and behold; American media, complete sellouts that they are, go all out Russophobes.

Oct 27, 2017
Big fucking whoop. It takes a lot of anti-Americanism to try and twist a clearly different scenario into "propaganda".

Russia is the evil bad guy in MW who routinely massacres civilians, big deal.
Are you serious right now?

The took a thing that happened but made Russia the ones to do it instead of the US. It is freaking propaganda. It is the exact same scenario no matter how you put it.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Big fucking whoop. It takes a lot of anti-Americanism to try and twist a clearly different scenario into "propaganda".

You bring up the fact that they don't name them the same as a point in your favour, someone corrects you, and suddenly, when the name actually goes against the idea you want to push, it stops mattering?

That's so damn transparent. If the name being the same doesn't matter, then why would the name not being the same matter?

Oct 26, 2017
People are legit twisting real life event to try to prove their point and not call what Activision and IW did as clear propaganda.

Simply amazing.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My take during that scene was that they weren't saying it was called that because of the Russians, but that's what the Russians had done during this specific fictional occupation. But idk it is a weird mix since it's a fictional country which also uses the names of real places.

This one actually does do more than the others in terms of making the US seem less like knights in shining armor than they normally do, but then they also make Price like a cross between Big Boss and Batman.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious right now?

The took a thing that happened but made Russia the ones to do it instead of the US. It is freaking propaganda. It is the exact same scenario no matter how you put it.
The real event was an attack on Iraqi forces attempting to retreat.

The game event was an attack by Russians on civilians attempting to flee a poison gas attack by the Russians.

One was a normal sound military operation and the other is a war crime.

Oct 27, 2017
The real event was an attack on Iraqi forces attempting to retreat.

The game event was an attack by Russians on civilians attempting to flee a poison gas attack by the Russians.

One was a normal sound military operation and the other is a war crime.
Bullshit.

A lot of civilians died in that attack. Lot's of women, men and children.
Seems to me you don't know what you are talking about. I suggest you not embarrass yourself and go read up on what happened.

I never thought I would see someone defend a war crime that the US commited and yet here we are.

'V'

Banned
May 19, 2018
This is just another of many reasons why I won't touch this game with a stick. CoD franchise has been dead to me for some time anyway. Battlefield has become so much better in every way (though BFV is one of the worst ones in the series IMO).

Buzzman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y8nw6gq.png

AH YES HOW COULD ANYONE EVER CONNECT THESE TWO EVENTS, CLEARLY SOMEONE WITH ANTI-AMERICAN BIAS.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Yeah midly criticizing a video game for clearly making up its own facts of real life events basing itself on historical accuracy is anti american, hell yeah we back in 2003 boys

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
No one is innocent. Human history is made in blood and violence
What does this even mean in the context of this thread topic.

If they wanted to paint the Russians as a bad dudes who commit war crimes, they can just take any Russian war crime from real life and reuse those events instead of tacking on war crimes the west committed and putting the blame on the Russians.