• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Top 3 Campaigns

• Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Votes: 279 70.3%
  • Modern Warfare 2

Votes: 218 54.9%
  • Black Ops

Votes: 200 50.4%
  • Modern Warfare 3

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • WWII

Votes: 28 7.1%
  • Black Ops 2

Votes: 74 18.6%
  • Modern Warfare (2019)

Votes: 117 29.5%

• Total voters

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely disgusted seeing Black Ops 2 that low. It was so cool being able to make Telltale-esque choices throughout the game.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
COD4 is legendary, way above everything else that came after.

Then, Black Ops and MW2 (I really liked MW 2019 too)

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
2, 4, and Infinite for me. Though I'd also call out World at War as an honorable mention.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Characters, storytelling, variety and art design.
Of every game since COD4 it truly felt like the successor in its evolution and id say it was technically a better campaign than 4 but 4's was just so revolutionary for its time its hard to overcome that overall.

A sequel with command over a bit more, with choices having an effect on the story like BO2 would have been literal perfection.

Multiplayer was the worst of the franchise though which is where the negative opinions came from.
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for a sale. Steam still has it at full price lmao.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I actually bought Infinite Warfare based on the hype here for the campaign but I was completely disappointed. I enjoyed Advanced Warfare a lot more. Modern Warfare 2019 was really good too. The remaster for the original MW is a staple, but I think it feels a bit dated now. WWII was pretty good as well. But overall my favorite this gen has to be AW. Especially at the beginning, that level transition with the business card blew my mind back then. You could show that right now and say it was only possible because of the PS5 SSD and people would totally believe it.

OP
OP
Kevin Shields

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
  1. MW3
  2. Infinite Warfare
  3. BLOPS1

Didn't play BLOPS5 or MW2019 yet.

in my opinion the past two campaigns have been excellent. I got a feeling it will be hard to play some of the earlier ones with how good the past 2 have been. Ones I've played so far....

Cod4
Black Ops
Infinite Warfare
Modern Warfare (2019)
Black Ops: Cold War

Next in my list based on poll and discussion

modern warfare 2
Advanced Warfare
Black Ops 2
WWII

Oct 25, 2017
I'm genuinely disgusted seeing Black Ops 2 that low. It was so cool being able to make Telltale-esque choices throughout the game.
Yeah it was clear 2nd place until Infinite released.
Though its a bit understandable as BO2 is hard to recommend without BO1 beforehand.
You need the Mason, Woods and Hudson backstory for it all to really pay off.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The only ones I ever thought were really good were the very original CoD on PC, CoD2 and CoD4: MW. I've enjoyed a lot of the others in the series, but those three were the height of the series.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
in my opinion the past two campaigns have been excellent. I got a feeling it will be hard to play some of the earlier ones with how good the past 2 have been. Ones I've played so far....

Cod4
Black Ops
Infinite Warfare
Modern Warfare (2019)

modern warfare 2
Advanced Warfare
Black Ops 2
WWII
If you're gonna play MW2, I'd just continue to MW3 right after.

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
OG Modern Warfare Trilogy and the reboot are great FPS campaigns. First two Black Ops games are also just as good. Infinite Warfare is another one you shouldn't skip. Rest is just servicable but not very good.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought WWII would get more love... was the positive talk I heard only about the multiplayer??
WW2 has one standout mission (you play as a member of the French Resistance trying to take back a Nazi garrison in Paris) but other than that I can't remember half the missions I played. The main character's story arc was kind of flat too. The way they included the Holocaust wasn't exactly great either but it's a tough subject to deal with, I'll give them that.

I've not played all the recent COD campaigns but I'd say WW2 is worth checking out if you can get it for <$15.

For me, COD4, BLOPS1, and MW2019 are my favourites of the ones I've played. I usually don't really care much for the direct sequels like MW2 or BLOPS2, although I acknowledge each of them has standout missions or interesting ways of telling their stories. I've not played AW or IW yet but I think IW looks really neat. I've got Cold War queued up but haven't had time to play it yet.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Call of Duty 4
Modern Warfare 2
Infinite Warfare
Black Ops

Best of the best imo.

Shout out to Black Ops 2 and Modern Warfare 3 as well. They're also super fun.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Cod 4 is such a classic and perfectly paced, MW 2 is great too, to be honest all of the poll choices are worth a playthrough, I always enjoyed playing through COD campaigns.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CoD4, Modern Warfare 3 and Infinite Warfare are the best. MW3 gets no respect but it's the peak of the Hollywood blockbuster style of CoD campaigns. Tons of great set pieces and moments crammed into 6 ish hours it's well worth playing.

MW2 is next probably. Advanced Warfare I remember being pretty fun too.

Fuck every Black Ops game. Shit design through and through.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Infinite warware is, by far, the best campaign in the series. Great length, charismatic team, great "hub". EPIC.

advance warfare is great too.

aesync

Jan 19, 2018
Chicago
Is everyone too young for COD1+United Offensive? Legit incredible campaign. COD2 was pretty spectacular as well. Might as well be a different series at this point though.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

Cod4
Black Ops
Infinite Warfare
Modern Warfare (2019)

modern warfare 2
Advanced Warfare
Black Ops 2
WWII

If you are a Black Ops fan don't sleep on World at War. It's the beginning of the the trilogy (we are going to pretend BO3 doesn't exist).

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
MW1-2(3) and 2019 are the best. (3 lacks soul but is an okay continuation )

Infinite Warfare is by far the best next to MW1-2z

Absolutely amazing campaign.

Thea rest are good.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I give MW3 extra credit for managing to reasonably stick the landing considering Infinity Ward imploded between MW2 and 3 and they still hit the two year deadline (with lots of help IIRC).

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Warfare and Modern Warfare (2019) from the modern ones. COD4, MW2 and BLOPS (COD2 honorable mention) continue to be the best from the PS3/360 era.

Stuart Gipp

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Cambridge, England
Infinite Warfare is my favourite. Then Advanced Warfare. Then, honestly, Ghosts. It's terrible, but it's terrible in a really fun and insane way that must be seen to be believed.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Top Tier:

Infinite Warfare

CoD 4: Modern Warfare

Black Ops 1

Call of Duty 2

Great Tier:

Modern Warfare 2

Black Ops 2

Advanced Warfare

World at War

Fine Tier:

Modern Warfare 2019

World War II

Modern Warfare 3

Call of Duty 1

Bad Tier:

Call of Duty 3

Black Ops 3

Pretty close to accurate for me, but as someone that only plays these on Veteran diff, I do have a few changes. Nailed the top tier picks though.

-World at War needs to be in 'Bad Tier'. It suffers from the highest form of bullshit AI spawns, grenade spam, and AI that tracks you magically. One of the most frustrating campaigns to push through.
-MW 2019 I'd upgrade a notch, but it's personal preference I guess. Had some issues, so being where it is works. WW2 I enjoyed more than expected, but am back and forth on whether I'd keep where you placed or up a notch too.

Rest seem fine, but the top 4 you have are very accurate. CoD2 don't get enough love, using smoke to deal with the AI felt relevatory. Feels like the series stagnated from using alternate means to handle the shootouts with greater focus on cover/reaction aiming over such creative tactics. (Advanced Warfare being an exception)

OP
OP
Kevin Shields

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty close to accurate for me, but as someone that only plays these on Veteran diff, I do have a few changes. Nailed the top tier picks though.

-World at War needs to be in 'Bad Tier'. It suffers from the highest form of bullshit AI spawns, grenade spam, and AI that tracks you magically. One of the most frustrating campaigns to push through.
-MW 2019 I'd upgrade a notch, but it's personal preference I guess. Had some issues, so being where it is works. WW2 I enjoyed more than expected, but am back and forth on whether I'd keep where you placed or up a notch too.

Rest seem fine, but the top 4 you have are very accurate. CoD2 don't get enough love, using smoke to deal with the AI felt relevatory. Feels like the series stagnated from using alternate means to handle the shootouts with greater focus on cover/reaction aiming over such creative tactics. (Advanced Warfare being an exception)

for some reason after playing the modern and futuristic games, I kind of want to skip around and tackle WW2. Ive Heard a few say it surprised them... while some just say "trash"

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Infinite Warfare not on the list?

tenor.gif

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
None of my top 3 (COD, COD2, IW) made it to the poll. Dang.

Of the poll choices, COD4, MW2 and BLOPS2 I'd personally rate highest.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Advanced Warfare is the best COD campaign.

Incredibly ambitious game that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

OP
OP
Kevin Shields

Kevin Shields

Oct 27, 2017
Gosh this poll didn't help me decide which ones to hit next! WWII and MW3 are pretty much even and since the darn poll wouldn't let me add advanced warfare, I'm not sure how that would fair although a lot of people seem to like it!

halfway through MW2 - It's really good, but even with remastered, it's hard to play it right after the visceral feeling of MW 2019

next I'm thinking WW2, Advanced Warfare, Black Ops 2 and then maybe they will remaster MW3 by then :). That got a lot lower then I expected so maybe I'm good holding off on that for awhile.

Oct 25, 2017
COD4 is such an amazing campaign,
Memorable characters
Extremely memorable setting and set pieces
Perfect pacing
That freaking soundtrack

The "twists" that were legitimately surprising at the time

Honestly in the places MW19 didn't try to distance itself from COD4 I even found a bit insulting

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All the Modern Warfare ones are pretty good. The new one was quite good, I'm excited to see the next MW with how 2019 ended.