• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
what a pointless comparison

I don't see how, it's simply an expansion of the context.

The video and comparison showed how bad the tickrate is for Blackout compared to other BR games.

My comparison was against the lowest known tickrate for any multiplayer shooter (which BR games are a subset of). This game sets a new low for all multiplayer shooters.

You can expand this comparison even further to all multiplayer games and it would still be a useful comparison.

If you don't find the comparison useful or informative, fine, but it's not without merit.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

The video and comparison showed how bad the tickrate is for Blackout compared to other BR games.

My comparison was against the lowest known tickrate for any multiplayer shooter (which BR games are a subset of). This game sets a new low for all multiplayer shooters.

You can expand this comparison even further to all multiplayer games and it would still be a useful comparison.

If you don't find the comparison useful or informative, fine, but it's not without merit.

it's pointless to compare it to basic multiplayer games that have player counts not even remotely close to 100, for obvious reasons. you have to see that.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
None of the Call of Duty Beta's have been actual Beta's. They were all simply demos due to the lack of time between said Beta's and the release date.
Maybe previously.

I actually played the new beta and this is patently untrue. There were sweeping changes made daily and extensive documentation by the devs on these and planned changes/fixes for release. The response time and community support was truly mindblowing.

Not even a fan of the gameplay. Not for me. But this is bullshit.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I'm impressed. It felt really responsive to me.

I would imagine that having hit-markers is what probably made the difference for me. It is so satisfying getting a strong feedback for your shots.

Vipu

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mostly 20hz, drops to 10hz at start of the match.

TTYdbh0.jpg

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
What about the other CoD`s? What I hate the most about the mp is the atrocious connection. In Advanced Warfare for example I would get instantly killed around corners before the enemy was even on my screen. In the killcam then it would appear that he was just walking right in front of me and kill me. Unplayable

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Can this be improved upon? Or is it a done deal considering the 100 player BR

It can inevitably be improved, part of that may be them throwing bigger/better hardware at the problem, part of that will certainly be improving and optimising. Fortnite has improved continually and immensely over the last twelve months, there will be the same scope to improve things here. I guess the skeptic would say that Call of Duty's netcode is historically weaker than other contemporary shooters, but thanks to the work of YouTubers like this one, there's a lot more attention on these things than before. Fingers crossed really.

Even in Fortnite, things are far from perfect. The range at which you get updates about players (and can see them) is low enough that seeing people pop-in and pop-out is quite common particularly with the rifts. In some modes where players are more concentrated (e.g. 50 v 50), visibly laggy players is common presumably because you're receiving updates for them once every two ticks, or four, et cetera. Ultimately, huge number of players + huge maps is a major technical challenge and by no means a solved problem. Who knows far down the road of optimisation they are with Blackout, but you'd think they can improve it substantially from where it is right now. It doesn't really feel like Blackout is doing anything that would make it much harder for them than the competition.

Last edited:

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I watched Shroud play a ton and he never mentioned it feeling off. He was picking people off at lightening speed as usual.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

No, it's not.

Comparing to other BR games? That's a fair comparison.

Comparing it to non-BR games? No, that's bad. Doubly so since we know the regular MP of Black Ops 4 is 62hz which is much higher than Splatoon 2.

You're trying to argue that comparing apples to oranges is fair.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mostly 20hz, drops to 10hz at start of the match.

TTYdbh0.jpg

Looks like something they can iron out, (the 10hz part), since its higher until 73 players, and recovers shortly after - wonder if zombie spawns or air drops, or the initial zone is doing something?? (no clue)

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. I feel like even Splatoon 2 has a higher tickrate than that

Do we need to go over this again?

There's a big difference between 88 ~ 100 players vs 8 players.

For further clarification, the regular MP for BO4 has a tickrate of 62hz which is higher than Splatoon 2.

Should Blackout have a higher tickrate? Yes, at least on par with the other BR games. However it is much harder to get a higher tickrate once the player count balloons.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No, it's not.

Comparing to other BR games? That's a fair comparison.

Comparing it to non-BR games? No, that's bad. Doubly so since we know the regular MP of Black Ops 4 is 62hz which is much higher than Splatoon 2.

You're trying to argue that comparing apples to oranges is fair.

I don't think we're going to agree on this because we're not looking at this with the same perspective.

It's not apples to oranges, it's more like Fuji Apples to Granny Smith.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think we're going to agree on this because we're not looking at this with the same perspective.

It's not apples to oranges, it's more like Fuji Apples to Granny Smith.

Your comparison only works if you remove nuances and difference between the shooters.

Just saying that the comparison works because they're both shooters is incredibly disingenuous.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't notice tickrate being off too much, but I didn't play the Blackout beta that long. It definitely did feel choppy at times which is why I was surprised when people were describing the game as a "more polished PUBG." No, it's not...at least not yet.

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm positive Activision has some great play testers that are letting the devs know they have to tighten up that tickrate on level 3.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a beta though, so surely they will up it at release? 10Hz at launch would be pathetic and could potentially kill the mode off entirely

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Your comparison only works if you remove nuances and difference between the shooters.

Just saying that the comparison works because they're both shooters is incredibly disingenuous.

You are acting like I'm pulling this comparison out of thin air.

The train of thought is very simple, and easy to follow:

1. Blackouts tickrate is exposed by someone as being 10Hz.
2. Comparisons to other BR games is immediate, and it's clearly below all other BR games.
3. I can't recall a lower tickrate being used in a shooter.
4. Is there any shooter with a lower tickrate?
5. The only one that I know had an abysmal tickrate that was publicly called out for it was Splatoon 2.
6. I lookup Splatoon 2's tickrate which is apparently 16Hz.
7. I post incredulously, how a game from such a storied and universally lauded team as Treyarch (with the massive budget they were undoubtedly given) could set a new low bar for server tickrate, not just for BR games but for shooters in general, dethroning the previously known worst game in Splatoon 2.

This is not an unfair comparison.

In fact, you invite these comparisons when you are now the bottom of the barrel.

EDIT: The game doesn't run at 10Hz. It's 20Hz most of the time which is above Splatoon 2 (16Hz).

Last edited:

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

For further clarification, the regular MP for BO4 has a tickrate of 62hz which is higher than Splatoon 2.

Should Blackout have a higher tickrate? Yes, at least on par with the other BR games. However it is much harder to get a higher tickrate once the player count balloons.

Which BR game is it on par with?

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017

I mean it depends what the comparison is for. If you're interested in how technically impressive cod is then it makes sense to compare it to similar games. If you're interested in how it feels to play and how much lag to expect then it makes sense to compare it to games with similar response times.

As someone more interested in playing games than arguing about them, the latter is a more useful comparison.

That said, I doubt mentallyinept is arguing in good faith here either. His determination to brand this "a new low in online gaming", despite at least one other example already having been mentioned in the thread, is pretty transparent

Anyway

Having played the beta, I'm very surprised by this. It felt as good to me as regular cod, with apparently 1/6th the refresh rate? A 120ms response time is usually quite noticeable. Is it possible that pc would have a different tic rate to PS4? Seems unlikely, but like I said I'm surprised.

I guess most of the game runs at around 70ms, which is harder to detect (in comparison to ~30)

Last edited:

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it depends what the comparison is for. If you're interested in how technically impressive cod is then it makes sense to compare it to similar games. If you're interested in how it feels to play and how much lag to expect then it makes sense to compare it to games with similar response times.

As someone more interested in playing games than arguing about them, the latter is a more useful comparison.

That said, I doubt mentallyinept is arguing in good faith here either. His determination to brand this "a new low in online gaming", despite at least one other example already having been mentioned in the thread, is pretty transparent

Anyway

Having played the beta, I'm very surprised by this. It felt as good to me as regular cod, with apparently 1/6th the refresh rate? A 120ms response time is usually quite noticeable. Is it possible that pc would have a different tic rate to PS4? Seems unlikely, but like I said I'm surprised.

I guess most of the game runs at around 70ms, which is harder to detect (in comparison to ~30)

...If you are going to call me out, at least have the decency to @ me so I can respond to such accusations.

What post contains information that there's another shooter with a sub 10Hz tickrate? I re-skimmed the thread after I read this and I didn't see it.

Every comparison I have seen put it squarely at the bottom.

That said, apparently this 10Hz tickrate only happens at the start of matches and it typically runs at 20Hz. Which is still bad, but not at the bottom of the barrel and above Splatoon 2. So I guess my comparison is no longer valid.