Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Awnaw, shitty stealth ;_; How is that possible from the guys who made Styx?

Anyhow, already preordered, everything else sounds great!

Yeah that was my biggest letdown for sure. But game is great and can easily recommend it to adventuregame fans and of course beggars can't be choosers so for all Cthulhu mythos fans it's an autobuy :D

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I put RDR2 on the back burner since I received my review key for this. Played for about 4 hours straight tonight before I realized it was about 2AM.

Obviously can't say much else aside from: I'm pretty sure the voice actor for the main guy (Pierce) in this is the same as the actor for the main character in Vampyr. Needless to say, I have melded those two gaming worlds together in my mind and the result is fantastic. You tell me that the idea of a vampire that gave up his life as a doctor to become a private investigator tasked with investigating Old Gods isn't the best thing ever and I'll call you a liar.

Oooh, tempted to play Vampyr before this releases then! What publication do you review for? Would be an interesting piece to read come embargo

AlterOdin

Nov 6, 2017
Why did this need to be made when we already have the superior title

call_of_cthulhu_dark_corners_of_the_earth_1.jpg

Very underrated game, in my top 3 in the OG xbox generation. (Heard the PC-port was a bit/alot buggy, shame).

Walking sim with puzzles, batman crimescene reconstruction, shitty stealth segments. No combat. Not open world but some hub-world style areas. RPG character xp style that opens dialogue tree options like Fallout series for example. And yes, madness and afflictions :D

Looks "ok" and sounds great!

No combat kind a bums me out, liked it in Dark Corners, limited, but not useless. So https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeBXXfXZmAY at 2:56 is a cut-scene, or alternate control, or such? I notice it's not the main protagonist, but hoped some of it transferred to him .Regardless, will still check ut out.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyanide's never made good combat even in their combat focused games so even if it were present it likely would have been awful.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I actually find it r'lyeh interedting eventhough i thought it was a walk simulator genre at first. It seems it is not the case

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
I put RDR2 on the back burner since I received my review key for this. Played for about 4 hours straight tonight before I realized it was about 2AM.

Obviously can't say much else aside from: I'm pretty sure the voice actor for the main guy (Pierce) in this is the same as the actor for the main character in Vampyr. Needless to say, I have melded those two gaming worlds together in my mind and the result is fantastic. You tell me that the idea of a vampire that gave up his life as a doctor to become a private investigator tasked with investigating Old Gods isn't the best thing ever and I'll call you a liar.

Do you happen to know the name of the voice actor of Dr Fuller or what other characters he played? Because I know that voice from somewhere and it's driving me insane.

Finished two days ago.

And, of course, can't say a word till the embargo. ;)

Going into a thread just to go "I can play it and you can't, nananana! Anyway, bye \o/" is pretty fucking lame.

Last edited:

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Can you at least say what the concrete gameplay is about yet? Is it a Point'n'Click in 3D, a walking sim with puzzles, an action game or more like the Frogwares Sherlocks? Open World? Clear Levels?

(I'll get it regardless but I wanna knooow)
It's more walking sim with puzzles but with a bit more freedom. It seems as though there are usually a couple of different ways to go about getting something accomplished though there are very clear levels/chapters. There's a good deal of investigation type stuff included. There are some dialogue options that open based on your skill level in certain abilities\ and/or if you found various clues.

I'll take this is as a positive impression.
Perhaps good to note that I was someone that really enjoyed Vampyr and, aside from the voice actor, seems to share a lot of similar marks in my book.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Any word on how much hide and seek bullshit there is? I really hate that trope.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's more walking sim with puzzles but with a bit more freedom. It seems as though there are usually a couple of different ways to go about getting something accomplished though there are very clear levels/chapters. There's a good deal of investigation type stuff included. There are some dialogue options that open based on your skill level in certain abilities\ and/or if you found various clues.

Perhaps good to note that I was someone that really enjoyed Vampyr and, aside from the voice actor, seems to share a lot of similar marks in my book.
So Vampyr but without the shitty combat that dragged it down?

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
BTW someone on Gamefaq who beat it was talking about it (they even linked to there stream, they streamed most of the game!) Said, the gameplay is relatively simplistic, but the story is great, and it's a must buy for any horror or Lovecraft fan.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Do you happen to know the name of the voice actor of Dr Fuller or what other characters he played? Because I know that voice from somewhere and it's driving me insane.
Dr. Fuller is voiced by Wolf Kahler. Assuming there isn't someone else doing voice work with the same name, of course.

So Vampyr but without the shitty combat that dragged it down?
I wouldn't go that far. It just shares some similarities in terms of tone.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Dr. Fuller is voiced by Wolf Kahler. Assuming there isn't someone else doing voice work with the same name, of course.

Oh wow, thank you so much! Turns out he is a german voice actor so I knew him from a lot of games when I played games in german as a kid and teenager like Whiplash, Revolver Ocelot in MGS, Aku Aku in Crash Bandicoot 3. Also reminded me he also voiced the villian in Crysis 2 & 3.

Jan 2, 2018
I really want this game to be good- I just love immersive,narrative driven,horror-detective games and this could easily pull out of RDR2 If good enough,which says a lot.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
There's a €5 discount if you preorder this on Xbox live. Such a shame that it expires before the game releases, and thus before any reviews drop. I'm very interested, but I don't think I can jump in blind - especially in a month with so many other releases I want.

Nov 8, 2017
Just pre-ordered it on PSN. Not enough eldrich horror / cosmic horror in games. Really hoping this nails the mood; it sure looks like it might.

I loved Dark Corners for the atmosphere and mood alone, even though I never finished it because I found it too frustrating to play.

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Still busy with AC Odyssey so I will try after this if I can beat it before November 9 (Battlefield V)

data

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if the rpg elements play a big role or is it just there to get extra clues?

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know if the rpg elements play a big role or is it just there to get extra clues?
Extra clues and your skills also open up new conversation/puzzle options. Not sure how much impact they have though, hard to tell without replaying the game because there are no manual saves, only checkpoints, and the game usually saves after important decisions.

data

Oct 25, 2017
Extra clues and your skills also open up new conversation/puzzle options. Not sure how much impact they have though, hard to tell without replaying the game because there are no manual saves, only checkpoints, and the game usually saves after important decisions.
Damn. I hope that they play an important role since extra clues can go without

If the rpg elements played heavily, I feel like I could've replayed for different consequences but I feel extra clues are simply a supplement most of the time

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Any detailed previews about? I'm so on the fence, but I don't want to miss the preorder discount.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I wish those games would stop with this hide&seek thing. It's really bad and puts me out of the experience a lot.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, there is no hype and visibility for this game at all, huh? It looks great, but little visibility and a release in such a crowded time period (tucked between Call Of Duty, Red Dead Redemption 2 on one side, Pokémon, Fallout and Hitman on the other - yikes) sounds like a death sentence at full price. Sucks but I expect this to be half off by Black Friday, which is when I'll pick it up if the reviews are good probably.