• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California Games is a 1987 Epyx sports video game originally released for the Apple II and Commodore 64 and ported to other home computers and video game consoles. Branching from their popular Summer Games and Winter Games series, this game consists of a collection of outdoor sports purportedly popular in California. The game was successful for Epyx and spawned a sequel.

store.steampowered.com

California Games on Steam

Ask anyone who considered themselves a true gamer in 1987 and the chances are they will fondly remember California Games. Now on Steam for the very first time, you too can enjoy six radical and awesome events: the half-pipe, roller skating, surfing, BMX, footbag and the flying disc.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Ha, neat. Guessing that's via DOSbox

That bleep boop Louie Louie reindition 💪

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
5Vdn1pu.png

savageturnip

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing! My C64 version always crashed when it came to the BMX stage due to damage on the tape, even tried cutting it and sticking it back together as that was the rumour on how to fix these things at the time.

I'll get this for no other reason than to go through the whole game for once in my life.

Dinda

Oct 27, 2017
oh man, i played the hell out of this on my C64 back in the day. Especially the Surfing.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I wasted many hours on this on my zx spectrum and NES.
I'd really like the old goofy multiple sports games like track and field, california games and world games made a comeback :)

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think I ever played the first California Games, or if I did I didn't play it much. I liked the second one on the Amiga though.

May 10, 2019
I guess Piko must be really doing well with catalog title reissues for more companies to start jumping in. I knew DotEmu and Night Dive were doing that exclusively before they got on well enough to fund active development projects. Personally I just wish companies that vault 80%+ of their vast collection of catalog games for an eternity were as devoted to getting them circulating in as many places as possible again.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I rocked hacky sack, I sucked at surfing.

While I have fond memories, not sure if I am interested in this

Cream Stout

Oct 28, 2017
was there a way to get past the long ass sand area in the rollerskating event or were you just supposed to fall over at that point

Red

Oct 26, 2017
California Games is not great. This feels like the digital equivalent of those 80s nostalgia cash grabs you see as end caps at Target.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
Got the Apple IIGS version of this for my 10th birthday Xmas 1988. I was never, ever so hyped for a game before. California culture was the most awesome thing ever to a kid growing up in the boonies of Pennsylvania.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
California Games was an NES game (and I think on the PC before that?) that was kind of like a beach bum Olympics. It's notoriously difficult and weirdly fun.

If you believe you have a gamers badge somewhere, please hand it in....

this is a Commodore 64 and Apple II game.