• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Now we know why this wasn't revealed at TGAs, and why it was a combined reveal + overview instead of separate announcements. I think they expected this kind of reaction.

The good news is that we're getting at least 6 more characters. The first one will probably be revealed at E3 and I imagine it's going to be a big one.

The Cuphead Mii outfit may be a sign of things to come.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (3 days): Ignoring staff post
Lmao, the utter salt.

I guess not everything can be a third party cameo. But if they were going with a Nintendo rep I sure wish they did Rex and Pyra instead.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
When did people turn on Corrin? I remember once his dragon powers were revealed most people were pretty hype.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As someone who loves Fire Emblem, even I think the amount of characters in Smash is getting out of hand.

On the flip side, I love watching the meltdowns!
As someone who collects all the Smash amiibos, I've had to create a second-shelf just for the Fire Emblem characters because they wouldn't fit on one self in my display case.

The only other franchises that had "too many reps" for a single shelf were Mario and Pokemon.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are insane. Fire Emblem has been a pillar for Nintendo since the 80's, nearly as long as Mario or Kirby, y'all act like it's some niche series or something and then turn around and think Rex and Pyra should be in instead even though that's a vastly more niche franchise. I will agree that the saturation of FE characters is a little much, but at least it looks like Byleth is going to be playing differently than the other sword characters. Give it a chance before you scream at Sakurai.

Fire Emblem wasn't around in the 80s.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
This is an interesting situation where I'm a bit disappointed at who the 5th character is, but okay with it all as I plan to get deep into the game after I'm done with Cadence of Hyrule. It will help me to appreciate Three Houses inclusion into Smash even more.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
I understand that fire emblem changes protagonists for most new entries so it's got way more new characters than the average Nintendo series, but damn we got a lotta Marths

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Actually pretty excited. I'm glad we didn't get another random third party character, those should be rarer and more special.

Only complaint is that they went with Byleth instead of one of the lords, but that's not a major one.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
x3LJlkN.png

Everyone is making it sound like Fire Emblem Characters aren't some of the most played and popular characters in the game.

All of them are within the Top 30. More people will enjoy playing Byleth than another Pokemon character or obscure Japanese RPG character number 5.

I have no idea where those numbers are from, but they're suspect at best. We know from a Sakurai comment before that Cloud is the most played online, while he's only 23rd on that list.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
So much salt here. Sakurai worked his ass off on this game and it literally is overflowing with content. People wouldn't be satisfied no matter who the character was. You got Banjo, give it a rest.
So true...Sooo much content, so many great new IP´s...IP´s people dreamed of - now there is that character, and people get mad. Curb your expectations.
The content and quality of that game is soooo high, that even a little lower reveal of a characterlets people freak out.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Eh...the fact that he just looks like a 3d model and not 2d animation makes it look really wrong to me. Imagine what they could have done sort of like Game and Watch making him appear 2d.
I mean you could say the same about Sans as well. Not being some high quality model is probably what looks off.

But a traditionally drawn character would had been such a cool idea for a character.

Sakurai probably isn't that talented to do something that cool in the limited time span the DLC would had taken though.

MillionStabs

Jan 11, 2018
Looks like people are more upset by this than I thought. The like/dislike ratio on the Youtube video is huge. Even the Terry reveal (which I thought would have a lot of dislikes) only has about 3k, Hero also has ~3k, Banjo has like 300, and Byleth has 11k

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
x3LJlkN.png

Everyone is making it sound like Fire Emblem Characters aren't some of the most played and popular characters in the game.

All of them are within the Top 30. More people will enjoy playing Byleth than another Pokemon character or obscure Japanese RPG character number 5.

Byleth is an obscure Japanese RPG character. From a game that only came out five months ago, and is the ninth rep from a single series.

I think even FE diehards would concede it's a Bit Much at this point.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So disappointing. If it had to be anime characters, the Howard twins from Astral Chain would have been a far better choice. Better character and weapon designs by far. A legion final smash would be far better than whatever Byleth has. Feels like there are more FE characters than Nintendo ones at this point. Tired of all these anime Sword fighters, please stay away from that going foward....

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Byleth does not seem to fit my style gameplay-wise I think but I'm sure happy to have FE3H soundtrack in Smash.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I personally honestly don't mind this as the gameplay seems cool but yeah FE and swords are a bit overrepresented at that point :/

Nov 8, 2017
Thoughts on FP2 characters:

Cinderace (I don't want this but how do they NOT?)
Paper Mario
Travis Touchdown
Yuriy Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
Dante
Waluigi

I don't think any of these but Cinderace will happen but it's fun to guess.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Sakurai was adding favorites of his till now, right? About time Nintendo called the shots lol

Oct 27, 2017
All in all, I'm still pretty hyped. Would've been nice if they did a 3rd party character to keep up the collaboration theme and made Byleth the 6th pack instead, though.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
I don't feel anything for the character but the moveset looks really interesting. If it is fun to play, that will be good for me.

People getting mad because Byleth when they got Ridley, KRool and Banjo... who are the most asked characters in Smash since Melee is something else.