VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a AAA game developer, the more people play our games, the better.
iu

Obviously I get where you're coming from but when we're looking at AAA-games I just don't see how their first-party output will manage to adhere to this strategy. I'm not that worried though as with every generation people will, for the most part, quickly move over to the next consoles and leave the previous systems collecting dust.

Black Ops 3 is a good third-party example of this btw. It was a mess on last-gen consoles and while it did sell 1,7m on X360 (as of 2016) that was nothing compared to the 14m and 7m units sold on PS4 and XBO, respectively.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
When they called the current Xbox Xbox One, I thought they would already adopt Apple's approach and release an Xbox Two, 2 years into the generation, and so on and so forth. I guess they did with the various SKUs of the Xbox One.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... they are becoming a third party developer that also has a console.

pretty much, yeah

they already are that now tbh this is just much more assertive because it's a new generation and they're downplaying that aspect to uplay their general ecosystem flexibility, compatibility, and reach

think about it, it's a new gen and they've been pretty clear that the series x is just another box, that, no actually, their games won't be exclusive to the new hardware for the first year or two and you'll be fine with an xbox one, and that if you don't want to buy their box at all that's cool too

Speaking of backwards compatibility, the transition to gen nine this year should be smooth as hell. People will be able to play FIFA, Madden, NBA 2K, MLB the Show, Destiny, Fortnite, Apex Legends, Overwatch, GTA/Red Dead Online, Battlefield V, Battlefront II, Halo MCC, and Gears 5 day one on their new systems.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
People confusing "end" with "win". They're trying to make this bigger than just consoles, partly because they know they will never move as many boxes as Sony, but also because they know consoles alone will never represent as many potential customers as console + PC + mobile.

Obviously I get where you're coming from but when we're looking at AAA-games I just don't see how their first-party output will manage to adhere to this strategy. I'm not that worried though as with every generation people will, for the most part, quickly move over to the next consoles and leave the previous systems collecting dust.

I'm legitimately a little surprised that MS saying they will make 1P games cross gen for up to 1 year after next gen launches is considered a big deal. It won't end up even being a blip on the radar except that some XB1 owners will be happier for awhile.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I think MS has a great value prop that took me from not owning an One X to certainly getting an XBSX. It's just that reading all this talk about MS ending "the console wars" has me rolling my eyes.

It starts to sound like sour grapes. Maybe MS should get out of the console hardware business and focus on GamePass. At that point perhaps Sony would allow them to use GamePass on their consoles. I don't necessarily want that to happen.

I get it, the hardware is a gateway into the ecosystem but don't tell me they don't want to compete with hardware and then release New hardware every few years. It's going to be "console wars" bullshit no matter what.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
People confusing "end" with "win". They're trying to make this bigger than just consoles, partly because they know they will never move as many boxes as Sony, but also because they know consoles alone will never represent as many potential customers as console + PC + mobile.

What MS is trying to do isn't technically feasible yet and they are approaching the future of game streaming from the wrong end if their end game is a Netflix of gaming model.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear, people acting like cross gen is gonna be a thing for the entirety of next gen.

The concern trolling is so obvious. This place is becoming toxic as fuck when it comes to these next consoles.

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
As long as MS can stay viable enough to give Sony healthy competition, then whatever. Sony is at their best when competition is at its best. So this works out for all gamers. But all this talk is going to put a lot of pressure on MS. Sure hope they are ready to back all of this up.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I agree with the article, but console wars won't end because the fans are the problem. They are the console wars. These companies don't hate each other like people of opposing consoles appear to hate each other.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People still think The xbox One line of consoles will work with all games for the entire duration of XSX lol how do people not understand what's happening by now

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earlier this year, they also said that games for the next gen console will work for a couple of years on the One, so the idea that we're going to still get games built around the Xbox One CPU well into the 2020s is a bit ludicrous. That's literal confirmation that they'll move new development onto the new console only within a couple of years...which is exactly how it has worked in the past. Third parties want the guaranteed audience until the new consoles build a solid foundation, and first party studios won't get anything close to the most out of the new system for a few years anyway. The concern trolling here is literal fucking nonsense.

So... they are becoming a third party developer that also has a console.

Is Sony a third party publisher for putting Horizon on PC and letting you stream PlayStation games to your iPad?

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well if they're so willing to put games on the switch, then I doubt Microsoft is the one to point fingers at here.
I wouldn't call their switch efforts "so willing." Look at all that's missing. They should put their games on a platform that actually competes with them or start being honest about what they actually want.

I'm sure PlayStation would have no problem putting gamepass on ps5 then? Because that's the only way that would probably happen
Access to MS exclusives shouldnt be limited to gamepass. Sell their games straight up like they do on Nintendo platforms.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't see how they imagine this could possibly work out well for a gaming console... Sounds like something someone high up came up with "because Apple".
The traditionalists in me is disgusted by the idea of the phonification of consoles. Or making consoles irrelevant.

I want new boxes that do unique things every half-decade that play games that do unique things. Like it's been since the 1980s.

Sol Mori

Jun 10, 2018
If xbox is as successful as this article suggests, Sony and Nintendo would be forced to change in order to compete. I'm a fan of them all joining forces to fend off Google and Amazon, because that is where gaming will end up. If Sony can barely compete with Microsoft financially, it can hold a candle to the funds Google and Amazon have.

Talking about how much money these corporations or their potential competitors have seems to always be handled at an elementary school level, i.e. my dad can beat up your dad. Just because a corporation has a massive amount of money it could invest into the gaming market does not mean that it will. How many billions has Microsoft invested into the Xbox division and brand? Is there a price tag you can point at and say, well if you spend x billion more you would have "won" the generation?

If we're comparing corporation sizes then, yes, Nintendo and Sony are much smaller than Microsoft, Google, or Amazon. Microsoft has been in the market for a little over 18 years now, yet both Nintendo and Sony are still around and doing rather well. We have already seen what Google's entry in to the market is, and it isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Has Amazon even shown any interest in becoming a platform holder for streaming?

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I wouldn't call their switch efforts "so willing." Look at all that's missing. They should put their games on a platform that actually competes with them or start being honest about what they actually want.

Access to MS exclusives shouldnt be limited to gamepass. Sell their games straight up like they do on Nintendo platforms.
So you rather pay $60 plus tax instead of $10

This will never make sense to me.
So instead of 6 months of game pass and the game you want, you rather just buy it out right?

HMC

Aug 24, 2018
Console war will become ecosystem war next gen.

Exactly.

"End console war" =/= "win console war". They're trying to change their model, not beat Sony at the current model.

Not sure this is all that great for MS gamers, though. For how many generations are the games going to be tied to antiquated tech? 5-7 years from now when the next Xbox comes out, will those games still have to run on the OG X1? Really glad this only applies to 1st party offerings.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bold step and I'm glad they're making it.

Only problem is that every smart move they make is under a supermassive shadow - games. It needs incredible games, or else none of this matters.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So instead of 6 months of game pass and the game you want, you rather just buy it out right?
I know I would. I would much rather own a physical copy of a game that can't be taken away because of licensing bullcrap or become a service shut down or something.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I know I would. I would much rather own a physical copy of a game that can't be taken away because of licensing bullcrap or become a service shut down or something.
Don't think gamepass is going anywhere. The games stay on there a lot longer than they stay on PS now so I don't think that's a concern either.

Digital will over take physical next gen (if it hasn't already)

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For some games yes, I would rather own them and never worry about losing ownership. You dont think that option should be available at all? That MS should only come to PS via gamepass? That's an odd stance to take. Again, that's not how it works with Nintendo right now.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
If they didn't care where you buy the games, then they should go multiplat and put the games everywhere. Netflix is pretty much on every device, minus the switch. If gamepass wants to be like Netflix, then it should be on more than just Xbox and windows.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
For some games yes, I would rather own them and never worry about losing ownership. You dont think that option should be available at all? That MS should only come to PS via gamepass? That's an odd stance to take. Again, that's not how it works with Nintendo right now.
It's not an odd stance at all, when gamepass eventually ends up on switch Microsoft isn't going to start selling $60 carts.

No one is taking your games from you, the whole point of these systems is forward and backward compatibility. You can buy the game outright off gamepass with a discount I believe. Then you own it, you don't need a physical copy.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
If they didn't care where you buy the games, then they should go multiplat and put the games everywhere. Netflix is pretty much on every device, minus the switch. If gamepass wants to be like Netflix, then it should be on more than just Xbox and windows.
And that's up to Nintendo and Sony, not Microsoft. Go tweet at your consoles representative that you want gamepass on switch and ps5.

Chances are Microsoft probaby already tried asking about it.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not an odd stance at all, when gamepass eventually ends up on switch Microsoft isn't going to start selling $60 carts.

No one is taking your games from you, the whole point of these systems is forward and backward compatibility. You can buy the game outright off gamepass with a discount I believe. Then you own it, you don't need a physical copy.
They already sell physical copies of Minecraft and Cuphead is still slated for a physical release. Arguing against and being misinformed on OPTIONS is 100% an odd stance.

Oct 28, 2019
Talking about how much money these corporations or their potential competitors have seems to always be handled at an elementary school level, i.e. my dad can beat up your dad. Just because a corporation has a massive amount of money it could invest into the gaming market does not mean that it will. How many billions has Microsoft invested into the Xbox division and brand? Is there a price tag you can point at and say, well if you spend x billion more you would have "won" the generation?

If we're comparing corporation sizes then, yes, Nintendo and Sony are much smaller than Microsoft, Google, or Amazon. Microsoft has been in the market for a little over 18 years now, yet both Nintendo and Sony are still around and doing rather well. We have already seen what Google's entry in to the market is, and it isn't exactly setting the world on fire. Has Amazon even shown any interest in becoming a platform holder for streaming?
You have to look beyond video game consoles. The endgame isn't about consoles its about content. Who has the most content exclusive to their servers. Amazon is definitely in the digital content wars. You limit your thinking to right now and what the past has been when it's clear that past will soon be obsolete. However long it takes Sony will never be the end all King of Content. It will never be able to compete with the biggest digital media companies.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
The console war only ever existed in the minds of the fans that propagated such a childish concept.

The gaming market is a pie large enough that multiple companies can take multiple approaches to eat and have their fill.

Not every move MS is making will find success, but it's clear MS will find success overall based on the trajectory their headed in. At the same time, Sony is still likely poised to dominate console hardware and thus overall sales revenues next-gen, because they're simply a bigger more global gaming brand.

Jade1962

Oct 28, 2017
I've been hearing about MS dominating gaming for nearly 20 years now. I don't know if these journalist have unwaivering faith in Xbox or just believe in the end capital always wins out eventually. And MS does have lots and lots of cash.

MykhellMikado

Alt account
Banned
Jan 13, 2020
What isn't technically feasible about it?

the music and film industry have already set the blueprint on how to transition media to streaming digital formats.

there comes a point where fidelity of a particular medium becomes "good enough" for convenient and easily accessible consumption. Once that threshold is reached then you begin focusing on scaling down to Cheaper and smaller client side processing so that is becomes more scalable.

Example would be Netflix since they are used as the gold standard. When they first released streaming it was already behind Amazon Video on Demand in every way. Amazon had much better video streaming technology and the infrastructure to support it. Netflix limited customers to 20 hours of streaming a month, only on certain titles, their streaming was subpar and only worked in a computer browser. But they won on sheer content by offering ALOT older content for a low price.

the future of game streaming isn't cloud servers with unlimited processing power. It's in high performance client side units that simply render "good enough" game fidelity after the point where diminishing returns kicks in. I would estimate we are about 10 years out from the point where the difference in graphic fidelity between a 40tflop gaming rig and a 100tflop game rig is meaningless. Think about the PS6. It would likely be a 100Tflop machine at which the focus will be on getting the products smaller and cheaper as you gain little from continuing to escalate in power.
Anyway the point I'm making is that building infrastructure to render the games server side and transmit it to the consumer doesn't make sense if you don't have it when in 10 years it will just shift back to client side rendering anyway at which point the only thing you will be streaming is the game assets/data similar to music and video.

Consoles as we know will not exist in ten years, but server side Cloud rendering is not the long term solution.