pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I have to agree that, in a vacuum, this incident was nothing more than uncomfortable and disrespectful, and should be a "strike one" that would soon be met with an apology from him in sure.

The issue is, this isn't an isolated incident. Apparently he's done this to many women, to worse degrees reportedly. He behaves somewhat like this in person. He's a married man negging women that enjoy his product (establishing a power dynamic that complicates things). There's also the fact that he's already on super thin ice for a very poorly timed and controversial joke from not even a month ago during one of the most politically tense moments in this nation's history in 60 years. AND on top of that there are multiple allegations of straight up abusive behavior from former members of his dev team.

This alone is bad, but not worth "cancelling" Mike entirely. But it's a heavy straw, and the camel is getting very sick of Mike's shit.
He's married!!?? There was me thinking those DMs suggested a desperately lonely man who hadn't had female contact for many years. Probably not married for much longer after this.

Aug 26, 2018
日本
I simply don't get how MK is so small online. MK is the next biggest game after smash and rando online Smash tournaments are easily 5 times that entry count.
Honestly, a lot of people just treat MK11 as a single player game. Following that, it just straight up wasn't released in Asia. And then, some people just don't like the gameplay. MK11 is a lot slower and more methodical than MKX or IJ2 was. I like it, but even I think it could do with a slight speed increase and a few more combo options.

Shawt21

Banned
Apr 26, 2020
In this thread I see, people making excuses for this guy, defending the little slap on the wrist for this guy and people trying to discredit anybody that speaks out against this guy. I thought this place was better than this.

This dude made an "I can't breathe" joke on stream, is accused of racism in the work place and other shitty things.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, fuck him. I don't even want to type his name. My people are being killed by people who are supposed to "protect and serve" and he thinks it's ok to joke about it. Fuck him!

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In this thread I see, people making excuses for this guy, defending the little slap on the wrist for this guy and people trying to discredit anybody that speaks out against this guy. I thought this place was better than this.

This dude made an "I can't breathe" joke on stream, is accused of racism in the work place and other shitty things.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, fuck him. I don't even want to type his name. My people are being killed by people who are supposed to "protect and serve" and he thinks it's ok to joke about it. Fuck him!
Yup that's the right stance, he should be banned from all events including evo.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Deep down what MikeZ needs is therapy, not banned from events that host his game.

He could and should totally do both.

If the community doesn't feel right with him in his current capacity and he hasn't done anything to better himself, that doesn't seem like an unfair situation. I could be wrong but I don't feel like any of his actions are deep seated in hate or anything, he needs to work on himself so he can be a better person to everyone else, he's not beyond redemption or anything. I don't think it's as simple as 'I'm sorry, I'll be better' and then give him a pass... he should have support in getting better, that's the best way to do it, especially if he has the means to do so.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I simply don't get how MK is so small online. MK is the next biggest game after smash and rando online Smash tournaments are easily 5 times that entry count.
The NRS tournament crowd just isn't that big. There's a reason people joke that MK at EVO is SonicFox's event to lose every year. There are very, very few people that put in the level of time and effort that he does on those games.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I figure I could ask this here instead of the other thread: did Mr. Wizard ever do anything about MikeZ other than to say "we're looking into it" and leaving at that?

edit: thanks for the response, and ugh

Last edited:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So maybe I'm a little off here but it really kinda rubs me the wrong way that so many people want to defend Skullgirls still being at Evo. As the Harry Potter thread has shown, while apparently not a huge amount, a sizable portion of the community thinks that you can't separate the art from the artist and how because of JK Rowling's terrible viewpoints, they will not buy the Harry Potter game because they don't won't to monetarily reward a bigoted individual. It's not the only game where people have decided to not purchase a game for similar reasons.

For Skullgirls, I feel for the community, I really do. It sucks that the creator of a game you love is a sex pest and apparently a racist too. But Evo is the biggest fighting game tournament out there. A lot of eyes are going to be on the tournament and that means a lot of eyes will probably be discovering Skullgirls for the first time. Lab Zero and Mike Z are going to profit from this, there's no two ways about it. More eyes on the game = more sales. I just have a hard time seeing why removing Skullgirls form the lineup should be seen as a bad thing, but it's a weird situation seeing as the community seems to be relatively progressive.