Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
More layoffs that doesn't need to happen, mostly due to shit decisions made by leadership.

And then Sony is esentially taking more and creating a whole new studio, which just adds further hittiness onto that leadership. It a shame Sony couldn't take those 220 affected as well.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Fuck that's alot, that sounds like a whole game dev group being canned :\

cmiiw but it feels like that they've already had layoffs quite recently?

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Probably part that, but also probably part Sony not liking a studio they own have control over release platforms for their games.
If they don't like it they shouldn't have agreed to it then lol

But it seems like Destiny and Marathon and presumably future in-house Bungie games would stay multiplatform.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Fuck Bungie leadership. To break off from Microsoft citing they wanted independence and not wanting to keep working on Halo only to make a deal with Activision and Destiny and buying themselves out of that contract only to wind up after that being bought by Sony, their leadership has been terrible. Feel so bad for their workers.
I am sure the leadership got big bonuses.

Gavalanche

Prophet of Regret
Oct 21, 2021
So is the Deviation Games internal studio poaching stuff tied to this newly spun off game for an internal new studio? Seems related. I doubt Sony is building two new internal studios making FPS games alongside Firewalk and Haven..

The cynic in me now thinks its being spun off outside Bungie so that Sony has total ownership of IP and doesnt have to commit to that "One Bungie Community" promise (multiplatform)

I dont think it is being a cynic, I think it is realistic. Sony said Bungie games are multiplatform, this is no longer a Bungie game. Easy to work around it.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
Chatter from the last round of layoffs was that Pete was one of the major problem people at the studio, and of course, looks like he still has a job.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, Bungie. Pete is running this ship into the ground.

Has The Final Shape not been doing well?

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
That sucks for everyone being made redundant but I'm wondering what it is they do/did that needed 1100+ employees?

I don't know how accurate figures are but that's around the same as ND, Insomniac & Sucker punch combined!
That number is suspiciously large. Even if the final DLC underperformed (which I doubt), that number is hard to explain. Maybe one or two unannounced projects got canned?

My heart goes out to all involved, Bungie was on a crazy hiring speee and bragging about it two years ago
Yeah they had a few incubation teams workshopping other projects, I imagine most of the layoffs are coming from there

Longterm Bungie wanted to build themselves up into a studio with several games on the go at once. I really like Destiny but I was looking forward to seeing what else they had in the oven :/

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
A third of Bungie gutted or assimilated? WOAH.

Outside of Helldivers 2, Playstation's GAAS push has been an abject disaster. Half of their dozen or so live service games cancelled, and now Bungie, a key part of that initiative, has been seriously neutered. Round of applause for Jim Ryan.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Hope everyone is landing on their feet but the future of bungie doesn't sound very promising right now.

Losing almost 400 people for a studio that's working on 3 live service games(D2,D3 and marathon) seems like a pretty big blow.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Oof 17% is significant. Hope those people can land on their feet. Bungie kinda seems like a mess. Seems kind of over ambitious by management to have grown to their peak size in the first place, it's not that surprising that it wasn't sustainable.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
The fact that they took 155 employees who were still working on it with them, sort of shows also that they still believe the actual people on the ground are super talented.

Should have did that with Evolution Studio! (DriveClub, Motorstorm) 😭

Some of the best graphics and sound in gaming at the time..

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
But as we've navigated the broader economic realities over the last year, and after exhausting all other mitigation options, this has become a necessary decision to refocus our studio and our business with more realistic goals and viable financials.

AKA "We just have to fire you to please our bottom line"

beebop

May 30, 2023
Spinning a team off and putting them under the umbrella of PS Studios is one way of doing exclusivity of a Bungie property whilst allowing Bungie to technically operate "independently".

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.....so they are:
  • Letting go 220 people
  • Sending 155 to internal Sony studios
  • Spinning of even more employees for a new PS Studio project (in addition to the 220 and 155) ???
Or are the last two bullet points the same?

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is this shuffle resulting in Sony taking full control of the board of directors? What does this mean for the power struggle that was reported to be occurring between the Sony execs and the Bungie founders?

Firmus_Anguis

AVALANCHE
Oct 30, 2017
Chatter from the last round of layoffs was that Pete was one of the major problem people at the studio, and of course, looks like he still has a job.
We can't have the people actually responsible fired now, can we? Outrageous!

No, regular devs should pay the price.

This industry in a nutshell.

The only positive thing about this is the 155 jobs they managed to save... Which still means they're/Bungie's losing 375 people.

Funkelpop

Sep 2, 2022
What sucks is how bad it's going to be to try to find another job within the same industry now. Not only will they be competing with their laid off coworkers but all the other laid off employees looking for jobs in the industry.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How many years have they been talking about having multiple new IPs being planned in the background? Feels like it's been at least five.

All that work for nothing (except for the one being sent to Sony) is really depressing. For yeeeears Bungie has been talking about bringing out the creativity of its employees and wanting to incubate a bunch of new IPs. Having to let all that go and become solely a Marathon/Destiny studio has got to be crushing.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Goddamn… and didn't they just have a major round of layoffs a few months ago too?? Fucking Bungie man…

I really hope that Sony is able to take over soon and clean house with the leadership, but unfortunately I fear that this is Sony taking control of Bungie rather than them trying to avoid it…

I just hope that Sony starts replacing some of the leadership/putting some of their people in charge…

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Shit will never change, this fucking industry man. That's a lot of people, guess Sony is just devouring Bungie anyway.

62e19498009584239f200896e57554d3.gif

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wait.....so they are:
  • Letting go 220 people
  • Spinning of even more employees for a new PS Studio project (in addition to the 220 and 155) ???
I think the last two are separate, since it says "Second..." rather than "As part of the integration..."

So it's 220 + 155 + ???, and whoever's left is going to be split between working on Destiny and Marathon.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Wait.....so they are:
  • Letting go 220 people

Pretty sure the last 2 are the same.

155 are going to a brand new Sony Studio (unnamed for now).

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Not surprising, as already a lot of people have been leaving the company these days and this second round of layoffs was called in the first one. No matter how good TFS was, there was no escape. It's nice that Sony managed to find position to 155 people but it still sucks.

Curious about the game being spun out, as it's not Marathon. I wonder if it's not a live service, because if it was they would surely mention and Bungie has been regaining their campaign muscle over the years.

Let's hope Marathon and whatever they have planned for Destiny with Codename Frontiers delivers else we're in for more layoffs, as this year's episodes seem to not be the change Destiny needed to keep players satisfied.

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, have really enjoyed getting back into Destiny 2 playing through the missed campaigns to get to the Final Shape. All those devs being layed off are super talented.

I'm not super concerned with SIE taking a more active role given the complaints about Bungie specific management but laying off that many people is brutal.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
sony needs to oust bungie leadershit already
I think this was their goal from the get-go while Pete tried to trim some fat to keep the numbers high enough to not trigger the take-over clause. Now he might have given in to Sony's strategy while cutting a deal to keep himself on the ship?

Hope everyone lands on their feet...