• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
hmm, i hope he survives and comes out a better and less bigoted man.. its possible.

i know he has SOME humanity (i remember some clips of him defending muslims, and dissing Trump), he's not a 100% monster like Bolsonaro or Putin or Trump or Modi or Duterte. those i wouldnt express ANY sympathy for.

if he comes out he should speak more like this:

youtu.be

Boris Johnson: Donald Trump 'out of his mind' over radicalised London comments

Mayor of London Boris Johnson says Donald Trump's remarks betray a 'stupefying ignorance' that make him unfit for the office of President. Report by Conor Mc...

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Bloody hell, I'm far from the man's biggest fan (putting it mildly), but hopefully he recovers soon.

If there's a silver lining of this, hopefully it communicates to some of the idiots out there how serious the situation is, and they adjust their behaviour accordingly.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why it's so hard to understand why some people aren't sympathetic. Even if he was a great guy outside of this, the dude was content with well, well over a thousand deaths in the UK because he thought it wouldn't affect him. He actively played up Trumpian pseudoscience to downplay a serious crisis.

If there was a thread on some schmuck who went to the beach in Florida after everyone knew it was a bad idea, then got COVID-19 and died, everyone would be laughing at him and calling him an idiot. Boris is the same kind of person, just on a much grander and more harmful scale.

when you're disaffected from politics it's easy to rise above the rabble to claim moral superiority

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can't say I feel sorry for him. Besides, isn't this what he wanted?

The supposed strategy seemed to be in line with comments Johnson gave on TV two weeks ago — in a clip that went viral — where he said that "one of the theories" was that "perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures."

Instead of hoping for the mans death, hope he pulls through and becomes a better person because of it. Who's to say whoever comes after him will be any better?
How naive.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
This thread should be a fucking graveyard.

I do not have any time for Boris or the Tories but this shit should not fly at all, wishing death on a member of parliament. Disgusting.

letting this fly really paints Era moderation in a ducking bad light and pisses away all the supposed good stuff you say you stand up for.

for shame.
to be fair era paints era in a bad light basically every day despite its thoroughly unearned smugness at believing its somehow a less toxic discussion forum than other places. The mods probably work overtime to even have era like this.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why it's so hard to understand why some people aren't sympathetic. Even if he was a great guy outside of this, the dude was content with well, well over a thousand deaths in the UK because he thought it wouldn't affect him. He actively played up Trumpian pseudoscience to downplay a serious crisis.

If there was a thread on some schmuck who went to the beach in Florida after everyone knew it was a bad idea, then got COVID-19 and died, everyone would be laughing at him and calling him an idiot. Boris is the same kind of person, just on a much grander and more harmful scale.

Liberal civility requires that we show more empathy and kindness towards our political enemies than towards actual, common people, because that's what they would do in a West Wing episode or whatever.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The difference being one of them is already dead and the other isn't. Christ. You can have zero sympathy for someone dying because of their reckless behavior and still not wish for someone's death to occur.

soul

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the Sky News stream for a bit and according to one of the reporters, currently he is not connected to a ventilator, and is only in the ICU as a precaution in case he needs one. Also, they said he's conscious, which is good news.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reap what you sow handshake man

And before the civility police comes in to tut tut, go stuff a scone in your mouth

XD
I never heard that before. That was funny.

Yeah I'm wishing no one death, but it's really hard for me to feel sad if I read something like this about him or Trump though. They did so much wrong. I just.. feel nothing, other that my skin crawled a little bit, because I know that this is big news. I don't judge anyone who feels like "he earned it" though.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say anyone is objectively wrong for thinking that, it's a totally subjective thing of course, but let me present you a scenario. Someone lives in the UK, and their mother watched Boris Johnson's lack of care about the disease and subsequently took less care herself, leading to her being infected and passing away.

In that scenario, would you still feel that person should be bound by the same stance you are?
It is subjective, and it that scenario it would take a special person to show sympathy right now. Would I be able to? Probably not, and I hope that's never tested.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just curious to the people that are so disgusted at others in this thread for hoping he doesn't pull through, are his policies making your life much worse? It's always easy to look from the outside in and tell people how they should feel, but if you aren't the victim of his rhetoric and policies and what he stands for, then you really should put yourself in someone else' shoes.

Some people are straight up dangerous to million and millions of people. I'm never really sad to see them go.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017

I do not have any time for Boris or the Tories but this shit should not fly at all, wishing death on a member of parliament. Disgusting.

letting this fly really paints Era moderation in a ducking bad light and pisses away all the supposed good stuff you say you stand up for.

for shame.

Note this thread was posted all of 28 minutes ago, people need time and reactions like this only really serve to escalate tensions.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really says a lot about the state of our societies when people gleefully celebrate the potential torturous death of their own countrymen.

Hes been celebrating the deaths of his own for long enough. his party have left thousands to die while waiting on assistance, largely disabled people. He decided to speed run it and let thousands if not millions get infected at one point. This is a two way street. If the ruling class continue to contribute to the deaths of the common man dont be surprised that the common man wants them gone.

Honestly the only thing being revealed here is how little people give a shit for non celebrities. Where's this same anger for all the people left to die by his and the tory policies? Those many thousands aren't important is all I'm seeing. No worse yet, were supposed to be shamed into wishing well to the people who directly caused so many deaths needlessly.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I'm not a fan of him or the Tories whatsoever, but I hope he pulls through.

Some of the responses here are baffling.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
You really don't. If he makes a full recovery he's going to just shrug it off as "see, not a big deal," and continue effing up the UK's response. Kinda like when several republican senators in the US got shot at -- and even shot -- a few years ago and proceeded not to give a damn.
You don't get out of ICU saying "it's not a big deal".

Facism

Oct 25, 2017

for shame.

sounds like you've ran out of neighbours to inform on.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

for shame.
Oh, clutch those fucking pearls harder. Johnson isn't owed anything, especially from the marginalized people he and his parties actions and rhetoric seek to harm.

Dr Funk PhD

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Man... ResetEra, again, proves that a huge portion of it's posters are just monsters. I'm unsure as to what exactly happened to a portion of people to make them lose ANY semblance of humanity but I hope you people get some help eventually.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
This man was going to sacrifice the sick and the old for his stupid ass herd immunity bullshit. so fuck him.

He had no sympathy for his own people.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand the finger-wagging Civility people.

Not in a million years.

But then, I'm a PoC and people like Boris make it their life's work to fuck me over because my skin is not as light as theirs, so maybe that's why.

I'll save my sympathy for the common people dying because of Boris' Herd Immunity bullshit. The rest of you can keep up your finger wagging...

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

(No sympathy for Tories.)
Brutal, but also true. I love this post.

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
XD
I never heard that before. That was funny.

Yeah I'm wishing no one death, but it's really hard for me to feel sad if I read something like this about him or Trump though. They did so much wrong. I just.. feel nothing, other that my skin crawled a little bit, because I know that this is big news. I don't judge anyone who feels like "he earned it" though.
I'm the same as you. But for the sake of the UK and for his wife and child, it would sadden me to see him die.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna leave this here.

www.businessinsider.com

Boris Johnson called gay men 'tank-topped bumboys' and black people 'piccaninnies' with 'watermelon smiles'

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has a long record of making offensive comments about women, ethnic minorities and gay people.

He says in theQueen's English right in the article, that it was "wholly satirical"

TRANSLATOR'S NOTE: "Wholly Satirical" means "It was Just a prank, bro."

Case closed.

Oct 25, 2017
In an era where I feel like nobody has to account for their actions, where someone or something else is *always* at fault and any sense of self relfection or atonement is missing, I can't feel sorry for him. Terrible for his unborn kid if Johnson doesn't make it through.

and those finger wagging at people wishing ill of him are like those who decry the death penalty as barbaric but want people to suffer in prison for the rest of their times to"teach them a lesson".

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019

Yep, even if the only shitty thing Boris did in his life was how he has handled covid, he'd still be bad enough that people not wanting to wish him well would be completely justified. Then when you add on everything else about him, anyone trying to tone police in here is just being a little ridiculous.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I hope all the people expressing him sympathy did the same for Jo Cox, and the thousands of disabled people his government has deliberately killed.

Not that I am wishing death on him, of course.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
This doesn't warrant the death sentence, as fucked up as it is.
This is not the death sentence. It's a virus. It doesn't have agency.

He's sick because he fucked up. If he dies it's not because people were mean about him, it's because this virus is often fatal. He didn't take the virus seriously. And because of his position, that attitude has caused thousands of preventable deaths, with thousands more in store.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
Lol. I wonder how many people here would be wishing Trump well if he was in this situation. Fuck outta here

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
Is anyone actually wishing him death or, like me, could they just not muster the tiniest of fucks to give?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
There are worse leaders and ex-leaders in the world who are more deserving to be in the position that BoJo is in right now.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I watched the Sky News stream for a bit and according to one of the reporters, currently he is not connected to a ventilator, and is only in the ICU as a precaution in case he needs one. Also, they said he's conscious, which is good news.

You would think everything is fine going by reports today until this news. Just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.