amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I can't believe people still don't understand the Widow "I am a monster" scene....or are they simply being obtuse?

As for the Brie/Carol hate...typical misogynistic BS. "She's arrogant"...."It was Deus ex-Machina!"....."She's a Mary Sue"...."She's being shoved down our throats!" ...all motifs on the same theme.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So a lot of people here are pulling the "that sucks for Larson; that being said FYI Captain Marvel sucks" trick. So I'm gonna come in here with a white guy take, because I'm sure everyone is eager to hear more of those. But: I found Captain Marvel boring. And I think that's just because of a fundamental disconnect with what the story is about.

Carol Danvers is great, she's great to begin with, and her challenge is reaching peak greatness. For me, that's not an interesting story. But that's because the idea of self-realization in that way doesn't connect with me. She doesn't face any real external threat in the movie, and she doesn't have any particular flaw. Her challenge is facing her own internalized limits - self-doubt was instilled in her systemically, and she has to break free of it. But like - I'm a white straight American dude. My life has pretty much just been people telling me I'm gonna do a good job, then doing a pretty good job, and being rewarded adequately for that job. There are very few systemic barriers to my self-actualization.

Carol's big moment is realizing that she's had the key to her own prison all along. If you've never been "locked up" in that way, it's not a victory you'll understand.

I don't think one needs to have been "locked up" to understand her. And she waa not just a prisoner of her own self doubt. She literally got kidnapped and brainwashed into thinking she's someone else. It's actually an abduction movie where a woman realises the truth and less so about her discovering her powers. It speaks about how abusive relationships don't always appear to be and that you don't need to be physically imprisoned for someone to be imprisoned by others. The powers are just auxiliary and necesaary because it was a comic book movie.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love how much Brie is frustrating these idiots. She knows it too and does not give a fuuuuuuuuuck which is even the better part. Stay frustrated and sad you losers.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder, has people done essay videos showing concern for THAT particular scene in End Game that would totally anger Incels?

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I agree. I know I'm in the super minority but I actually like it best out of the MCU movies. Something kinda refreshing about it.

Same. It's probably right outside my top 5 (now that Endgame released) and it's my second favorite origin story right behind Captain America: TFA. I ended up seeing it in theaters 4 times - I just really like it.

Side note - I've had an ongoing debate/argument with a friend that seems to really dislike the MCU version of Carol because of how "rude" or "arrogant" she is but I've never been able to tell why he had this criticism or if he's actually merging Brie and Carol together and is really meaning to criticize Brie. It's such a bizarre complaint to have, in my opinion. I finally just called him out (after re-hashing this argument many times) and told him "I think you just have a problem with her" and his response was "fair enough". We haven't really talked about it since but it was at least half-way decent for him to own up to it. However, it's pretty sad that he takes issue with Carol (or Brie) for a reason such as this.

Last edited:

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't love Captain Marvel and considered it middling or above average in the context of the other films in its shared universe, but the movie's and Brie Larson's ability to get under the skin of societal scum is so good - and for that I'll elevate the film from a 7 out of 10 to top 3 Marvel films of all time.

On a serious note, its alarming at how truly fucked nerd culture has become. It is honestly filled with some of the most useless repugnant motherfuckers walking the Earth.

Shits ridiculous. It's gotten to a point where I don't even want to share my negative opinions about stuff like The Last Jedi and Captain Marvel, because while I'm not a fan of those films, I'd rather my opinions go unshared than feed into the cesspools surrounding them and have my views co-opted into a culture of weaponized hate.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
On a serious note, its alarming at how truly fucked nerd culture has become. It is honestly filled with some of the most useless repugnant motherfuckers walking the Earth.

I don't know about the "has become" part.

Seems to me fandoms and nerdom have been fucked since the start.

What scene? I don't catch what you're referring to, I think I noticed something but it's just slipping my mind right now.

The one with the women in it that made us all yell yaaaaaass qween at hollow corporate feminism.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Here's a Brie Larson love meme for everyone

giphy.gif

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The scene in the first Avengers between Natasha and Loki was actually about her past and her choices that at one time made her a monster.

But Ultron's choice to frame her supposedly monstrous nature as being innately tied to how she cannot fulfill an assumed role and responsibility of womanhood is the most Joss way Joss could have Jossed it and I don't know why you'd feel the need to defend such comically bad writing. Everyone thinks of that scene as obviously being about the main thing she is talking about, which is that she's infertile. They could have made good writing choices and made it about her actual actions, like they did in the first Avengers film, but they did not.

Even if their intentions were otherwise, they massively failed the character with terrible writing that doesn't send the message you think it does to the majority of viewers and they didn't notice or care because they have never particularly cared much about telling Natasha's story.

In a franchise with characters like Tony Stark and Peter Quill, you think the woman who looks satisfied with her own accomplishments is the immature one?
Don't think one can really make a definitive statement about how most people perceived that scene.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
I honest to God would not know about this Brie Larson hate if I was not on the internet. How do these pathetic individuals not realize they're living in an illusion? Apparently Brie is part of a culture war. These people have lost the plot.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I honest to God would not know about this Brie Larson hate if I was not on the internet. How do these pathetic individuals not realize they're living in an illusion? Apparently Brie is part of a culture war. These people have lost the plot.

Powerful and threatening women have always been a target in the culture war.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I don't know about the "has become" part.

Seems to me fandoms and nerdom have been fucked since the start.

The one with the women in it that made us all yell yaaaaaass qween at hollow corporate feminism.
The scene in the final battle where only women appear
Oh, that wasn't what I was thinking then. I thought there was something more, dialogue or something. But thanks!
I just wanted to watch the Jeremy Renner/Brie Larson interview and Youtube threw me dozens of videos (probably many more if I just scrolled down) how Renner and others in the cast hate her. The actual original video these numbnuts are basing their videos on wasn't even the first search result.

Last edited:

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Don't think one can really make a definitive statement about how most people perceived that scene.

I guess not.

But I can say I specifically discussed that exact scene with all my closest friends who saw it at separate times and we were all equally furious about it. Everyone else I've talked to about the scene before now felt it was about infertility. It's not exactly an uncommon take.

If that wasn't their intention, enough people read it that way for it to be ineffective storytelling.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Moi8Rpr.jpg

Sometimes the hate train really just feels like this at times:
giphy.gif

Nothing but delusional angry man-babies
This is one of the best memes i've seen for god knows how long. Thank you.

Hopefully it gets remade when the film comes officially
They should have been dropped years ago, but people dismissed their misogyny and racism because they made the PT videos. They straight up made a ching chong gag, making fun of Asians and concluding that it's ok because "that's the way they talk"

They also said TFA has forced diversity and that kids don't care about it.
I know i bring this up everytime. But that shit was really heartbreaking for me.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I really want to see the interviews in which she is "clearly hated" just to see how crazy these people are being, but I don't want to give a view to the videos by assholes dissecting her every move. Does anyone have a link to the original interviews?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
1. Brie is fucking awesome and is killing it as Captain Marvel
2. Captain Marvel wasn't a Deus Ex Machina in Endgame. She explicitly states that she won't be back for a while at the beginning of the movie. Her return was a welcome addition to that final battle sequence. What WAS a DEM was the Ravagers joining the fight at the end with Howard the Duck out of nowhere. Yet no one complains about that.
3. These fake ass fans can't handle a strong female lead. It just doesn't sit right with their backwards ass mentalities.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
I really want to see the interviews in which she is "clearly hated" just to see how crazy these people are being, but I don't want to give a view to the videos by assholes dissecting her every move. Does anyone have a link to the original interviews?

Pretty sure it's this one?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not that the "body language expert" video was made in good faith but:

The interview in question is clearly banter from beginning to end, and they even acknowledge each other in a humble way throughout. I recently went on a date that was like this essentially the whole time (ie digs at each other, ribbing) and we really hit it off and are still friends.

They're having fun and playing with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like this on set too to some extent.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling that people think the hyper-liberal Avengers cast, who have done everything from creating a video urging people to vote against Trump to wearing "Protect Trans Kids" shirts on live television, somehow hate Brie Larson for...being too liberal

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
It's baffling that people think the hyper-liberal Avengers cast, who have done everything from creating a video urging people to vote against Trump to wearing "Protect Trans Kids" shirts on live television, somehow hate Brie Larson for...being too liberal
To be fair (though I don't know if that is warranted), I don't think most of them imply Larson being hated because she's too liberal. I mean the assholes hate her for that and being a vocal woman, but I think they imply Larson being unlikable person for other reasons, bad personality etc. Even for other liberals.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Captain Marvel was boring and a bottom 5 MCU movie, but the fact that it pisses off all these incels makes me more fond of it.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Not that the "body language expert" video was made in good faith but:

The interview in question is clearly banter from beginning to end, and they even acknowledge each other in a humble way throughout. I recently went on a date that was like this essentially the whole time (ie digs at each other, ribbing) and we really hit it off and are still friends.

They're having fun and playing with each other. I wouldn't be surprised if it's like this on set too to some extent.

They all seem like very likable people.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Homophobic rhetoric.
Never thought I'd see the day where so many men are threatened by women. I just don't get it. We are going to have a population decrease, which will be good for the climate, but for all the wrong reasons.

Are incels repressed homosexuals? I just don't understand this. Even gay men like women. I'm just at a real loss here. But repressed homosexuality might breed this disdain for women right? I have no grip on reality with the Incel thing. On one hand, they claim to be men. On the other hand, they're crying little punkasses threatened by women breathing?

I just cant understand this.

edit:

I should not have singled out homosexuality here, I understand is a homophobic thing to say. I apologize for not thinking this through. I'm sorry for writing this. I do have an amazing confusion over incels, I just don't understand how these men hate women so much. But, its better to think things through before vomiting on a keyboard.

Last edited: