Jokerman

May 16, 2020
Literally every country I have been to in the EU has excessive outdoor seating, so I have no idea why we will suddenly have the right they have had for ages now we have left. The weather is dog shit in this country anyway, so who wants to even be outside eating their fish and chips in the rain?

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
British people are happy to queue at a counter and then carry their food to a doorstep to eat. Don't need these fancy outdoor seating things.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Somehow I doubt it'll be mentioned again. The main gripe with the plucky few restaurants that attempt 'pavement dining' is that they end up blocking the pavement (British pavements generally being barely wide enough for two people to comfortably walk abreast). Which is a minor annoyance for most people, who can hop on the road or squeeze past, but for the elderly it can be outright dangerous, especially for those with mobility scooters. And which is the last demographic to consistently vote Tory nowadays...?

For places that are pedestrianised and have the space (though I suspect pedestrianisation is considered 'woke', if not a downright conspiracy theory, by the right these days), most lunch restaurants do already have outside dining when weather permits.
Can't speak about cities in the UK, but the way this is handled in Vienna, which has a lot of outdoor dining, and barely enough space on the pavement (usually quite narrow), is that shops rent the parking space next to the pavement and set up their outdoor area there.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
Ah yes, that EU ban on outdoor dining.
Imagine how nice Athens, Barcelona or Paris would be with some outdoor dining.
/s

I feel sad for the people that actually believe those things, and it is somewhat sad that those people even influence political decision.

Oct 27, 2017
Can't speak about cities in the UK, but the way this is handled in Vienna, which has a lot of outdoor dining, and barely enough space on the pavement (usually quite narrow), is that shops rent the parking space next to the pavement and set up their outdoor area there.

Considering the recent big policy idea from this government was to fight against "the war or motorists", I suspect not one parking space will be sacrificed under Rishi Sunak's watch!

Though in truth, there's not much of that type of setup left in most UK town and city centres. Roads are either super old and narrow, and have mostly already been pedestrianised, or are wider and still functional (and usually pretty busy).

Eric_S

Nov 29, 2017
Considering the recent big policy idea from this government was to fight against "the war or motorists", I suspect not one parking space will be sacrificed under Rishi Sunak's watch!

I recognize this from both here and there in Europe and the States. The right getting enamored with anti urbanism is just one of the many things that just tires me.

Waa, urban environments are highly creative, cost effective and generate the most growth, but they don't like us! So we wan't to screw them over anyway! (What do you mean, we could change instead? Hogwash!)

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to link to the daily heil here, but anyone see the wonderful brexit bonus we are getting thanks to Kemi Badenoch?

Those pesky EU bastards, allowing themselves the right to eat outside but stopping us from doing it. Glad we left. /s

This.. has nothing to do with the EU? Licensing of pavements has been a council duty for donkey's years, and the governemnt comfirmed that in its own 2020 licensing bill!

Removing any requirement for licensing for tables and chairs just means:

1) Your pavements are going to get blocked repeatedly, because british pavemtns are quite narrow
2) Council's will have an even bigger hole in their budget, as fees from tables and chairs are used to off-set the costs of running food health and safety teams and the like

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
lol makes you wonder if these clowns have ever been to the continent. al fresco dining is a wee bit popular there

this wasn't an EU limitation, its our bloody weather limitation