• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty clearly correct that it's a capable machine. As variable as the results of technical tests are, the fact is that the Series S is significantly outperforming any hardware that you can buy for the same price or below. For anyone outside the 4K market, it's a fine machine.

It's not a ResetEra machine, in general. The PS5 and Xbox Series X will outperform it, always. The PS5 Digital Edition is pretty clearly better value than the Series S, for anyone whose definition of value focuses on price/performance ratios. That still leaves the Series S as a great machine for kids, or as a secondary console for Microsoft exclusives and Game Pass, or for the many people for whom any higher-priced games console is out of financial reach.

It might well be that Microsoft have to spend a lot more time and effort communicating this more broadly. The Series S has pretty much a third of the graphical capability of the Series X. While its relative performance can't be simplified to just saying that it's a third as powerful, that's the kind of graphical difference it makes sense to expect to see. It's a difference that means that apart from the simplest of games, anything on Series S is going to have lower framerates and/or resolutions (and a lot of the negative perception seems to be from people who expected only lower resolutions, so that's a message that quite obviously needs a lot of work from Microsoft's side, and perhaps a drive to get developers to include matching framerate modes regardless of the cost in terms of resolution and effects).

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand this mindset. Unless game graphics become so demanding that the barely run at 1080p30 on the Series X and PS5, the same games can always target a lower resolution/framerate for the Series S with lower quality textures in RAM. The GPU has the same features as the Series X, just with less raw power
It's an optimisation thing and with the amount of platforms 3rd parties have to support(Pc, Stadia, Ps5, Xbox series, even switch) the effort put in to make it run smooth in a few years, is not gonna be worth it for Devs.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Running a cross Gen assassins Creed game at 30fps. He can say whatever he wants. But series s has proven to be a bad purchase if anything.

The fact that it's cross gen is exactly the problem though. The Series S compares quite unfavorably to the One X here, but that's because they're completely different systems. The One X is a 6TF GPU connected to an overclocked 7 year old laptop GPU and hard drive. The Series S has state of the art (for consoles at least) CPU and SSD, but only 4TF of GPU power. Of course it isn't going to impress in a game/engine designed around last-gen system balance, it's strengths are completely underused.

In the DF threads, everyone is discovering that teraflops aren't everything, and praising the PS5 for its alternative system balance, but nobody bothers to apply the same logic to the Series S. People argue that next gen is going to come from the CPU and SSD, and then blame the Series S for holding back next gen...

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
It has 10GB, so your limited memory scenario is even more grim.
It has 8 available for games. I am sure the series s is for someone, it is just not for me. Good luck to MS and if it is successful whatever. I am not buying a series s just cause the series x is sold out everywhere and I am not paying scalpers their ridiculous asking prices.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
We've had threads of Watch Dogs Legion and Gears 5 run like heaven on the thing that have got like 2 pages long.

Dirt 5 looks bad = 20 pages.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
"Extremely capable" is nice-speak for "gimped". I wish I had bookmarked the thread where so many were convinced the Series S would outsell Series X. I continue to have doubts.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
The Series S will be fine as long as it plays the same games as the gen goes along. Different devs will get different results based on whatever they prioritize visually and performance wise.

I think that's the point of the machine and it's doing what it's supposed to do. We've seen many games not perform up to expectations on the more powerful systems too.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Realistically how much attention can or should developers even give to something that sits in a mid to low spec range when they have tons of other versions to also manage?
We are not the target audience. The target audience is the mass market and this is where they are going to tey and sell the most hardware unite. Thats what developers will support.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be really interesting to see how the Series S runs games a few years from now. I don't think it's going to be a very attractive machine from a performance perspective in 2-3 years.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As Microsoft's tools mature, I think it'll be absolutely fine. I was hesitant of it's viability, but a was surprised to come across a number of my friends whose televisions were relics without even 4K capabilities.
This is my take as well. If games are optimized for it they can run really well. Gears 5 is a real showpiece title right now for it tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
prove-it.jpg

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's pretty clearly correct that it's a capable machine. As variable as the results of technical tests are, the fact is that the Series S is significantly outperforming any hardware that you can buy for the same price or below. For anyone outside the 4K market, it's a fine machine.

It's not a ResetEra machine, in general. The PS5 and Xbox Series X will outperform it, always. The PS5 Digital Edition is pretty clearly better value than the Series S, for anyone whose definition of value focuses on price/performance ratios. That still leaves the Series S as a great machine for kids, or as a secondary console for Microsoft exclusives and Game Pass, or for the many people for whom any higher-priced games console is out of financial reach.

It might well be that Microsoft have to spend a lot more time and effort communicating this more broadly. The Series S has pretty much a third of the graphical capability of the Series X. While its relative performance can't be simplified to just saying that it's a third as powerful, that's the kind of graphical difference it makes sense to expect to see. It's a difference that means that apart from the simplest of games, anything on Series S is going to have lower framerates and/or resolutions (and a lot of the negative perception seems to be from people who expected only lower resolutions, so that's a message that quite obviously needs a lot of work from Microsoft's side, and perhaps a drive to get developers to include matching framerate modes regardless of the cost in terms of resolution and effects).

I agree with most of your points but wouldn't a series s be more efficient at pushing frames at lower resolutions since then it becomes more cpu than gpu dependent? I know Valhalla runs at 1440p30 but I think 900-1080p60 would have been possible if they optimized it

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an optimisation thing and with the amount of platforms 3rd parties have to support(Pc, Stadia, Ps5, Xbox series, even switch) the effort put in to make it run smooth in a few years, is not gonna be worth it for Devs.
I don't agree with this, why wouldnt a publisher try to expand their reach, more versions of a single game, means more opportunity to resell. This is also a reason MS threw away their XDK for GDK, its intended to absorb some that overhead once tools have matured. I think in about a year's time their tooling should be to achieve that (based on Chris Grennel ex-Killzone Dev on GameOn recent podcast), they have 23 dedicated studios now actively participating in advancing it, that would mean any fixes or improvements through development of a Coalition or id Software game etc would be fed into GDK, which 3rd parties would get for free. For the 3rd party or indie dev, they'd have a stack that allows them to manage PC, cloud and console versions, without the typical effort needed to manage them individually. Also, devs are used to profiling, so this isn't anything new as of right now though.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
if it truly was the same game at 1080p (or 1440p) like it was pitched, i would get one but it's not now and most likely will only get worse in the future. i'd up and spend a little more for the X.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with most of your points but wouldn't a series s be more efficient at pushing frames at lower resolutions since then it becomes more cpu than gpu dependent? I know Valhalla runs at 1440p30 but I think 900-1080p60 would have been possible if they optimized it
You guys are discussing 900p resolutions for a 'next gen' console. Anyone you cut it that's bad.

isn't gears 5 1440p/60?

Isn't gears 5 a last gen game?

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017
I am not sure what many people were expecting from it? to me it still looks like a 1080p 60fps or 1440p 30fps machine, and that is fine for the price point. Some games are all over the place performance-wise at the moment and this console is no different. If we see games pushing PS5 and Series X down to 1080p then there is something very wrong going on.

Oct 27, 2017
The fact that it's cross gen is exactly the problem though. The Series S compares quite unfavorably to the One X here, but that's because they're completely different systems. The One X is a 6TF GPU connected to an overclocked 7 year old laptop GPU and hard drive. The Series S has state of the art (for consoles at least) CPU and SSD, but only 4TF of GPU power. Of course it isn't going to impress in a game/engine designed around last-gen system balance, it's strengths are completely underused.

In the DF threads, everyone is discovering that teraflops aren't everything, and praising the PS5 for its alternative system balance, but nobody bothers to apply the same logic to the Series S. People argue that next gen is going to come from the CPU and SSD, and then blame the Series S for holding back next gen...
It is impressive that this early in the gen, how well it compares against the Xbox One X. Didn't Yakuza: Like a Dragon on Series S run at twice the resolution of the Xbox One X version? And that is at the beginning of the generation.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Does it do 60 frames then it's good to go. I got my cousin a Series S just so he can have a wider field of view and higher frame rate when the patch for destiny drops in December

It has the power to do that, that truly is next gen.

Shigs

Oct 31, 2017
Los Angeles
The Series S looks fine for launch day, but it's really going to struggle 3+ years down the road. It's limited memory (12GB) will make it struggle with next-gen only titles that are pushing XSX and PS5 (both 16GB). And once the mid-gen refreshes come out, Series S will really look to be behind the curve.

You are going to be better off saving your pennies and buy a Series X after the first price drop.

Yup. As a 1080P TV owner, I was originally interested in a Series S, but seeing that AC Valhalla is already running at 30 FPS and not looking much different from the One X version, I can only imagine how underpowered future games will be.

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty set on getting a XSS, but initial output and impressions have put me right off, so just gonna save a bit longer and get a XSX instead.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be really interesting to see how the Series S runs games a few years from now. I don't think it's going to be a very attractive machine from a performance perspective in 2-3 years.
Indeed, it's probably not.

It will be relatively more attractive than the Xbox One (S) was for much of last generation though, and that's still getting games now (and really struggling at times, but both the console and the games are still selling).

As I say, it may be that Microsoft need to start encouraging developers to including matching framerate modes, even if that sometimes results in resolutions that seem low. That would include games like Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I'm not going to try to guess how hypothetical performance profiles might play out for individual games, though.

In the end, even if Microsoft do encourage developers to do that, allocating that power and deciding where to compromise will be a developer decision, and regardless of what we might prefer, some of them will choose to compromise on framerate, as we've seen.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
I am not sure what many people were expecting from it? to me it still looks like a 1080p 60fps or 1440p 30fps machine, and that is fine for the price point. Some games are all over the place performance-wise at the moment and this console is no different. If we see games pushing PS5 and Series X down to 1080p then there is something very wrong going on.

It really doesn't, though. Not from what we've seen so far. We're in the cross gen era as well.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
We are right at the start of the generation. Things might improve. How will the S deal with games that are built specifically for next gen? 30fps and 1080p? What about games that have dynamic resolution scaling? How many 1080p gamers with TVs in their bedrooms will have VRR? So many questions. Only time will tell.

The way a lot of people are talking, things are bad for the Series S. They are? I would certainly say it sucks that Assassin's Creed is 30 fps without an option for 60fls but other than that, seems like the system is doing exactly what it claimed to do. 1080-1440p visuals with lower settings.

Hasi

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
That's a last gen game, isn't it?

You're right, imagine what it can do on games that are specifically built for it!

It's so weird that somehow for PS5 and XSX cross gen is "not showing the true power of the console" but for Series S it's somehow only going to get worse from here?

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Man, the tools narrative has really taken hold here. People are going to be disappointed when this doesn't pan out like you think it will based on thinking "tools improvements" will magically get the Series S to be something it's not.
Reminds me of that time early last gen when MS made Kinect not mandatory and some people thought it will change things.

As for the console itself, I will never buy one myself but I am curious to see where it stands two or three years from now. I doubt it will do XSX settings in 1080p but devs could always half the framerate (if the game is running at 60fps on XSX) like they did in Valhalla. Or ideally just offer multiple modes like in almost every other game.

But counting pixels in a time like this.. idk. I barely see a difference between 1440p and 4k on my C9. My wife played Ring Fit yesterday and I don't know what resolution that runs at but it looked simple, but good. As long as the res isn't abysmally low like the 120fps mode in Dirt 5 on XSS, it's going to be fine, especially with those AA solutions that we have today.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Same Zen 2 cores and NVME SSD as the Series X. Shouldn't be holding back games.

My only concern would be the 7.5 GB of usable RAM.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with this, why wouldnt a publisher try to expand their reach, more versions of a single game, means more opportunity to resell. This is also a reason MS threw away their XDK for GDK, its intended to absorb some that overhead once tools have matured. I think in about a year's time their tooling should be to achieve that (based on Chris Grennel ex-Killzone Dev on GameOn recent podcast), they have 23 dedicated studios now actively participating in advancing it, that would mean any fixes or improvements through development of a Coalition or id Software game etc would be fed into GDK, which 3rd parties would get for free. For the 3rd party or indie dev, they'd have a stack that allows them to manage PC, cloud and console versions, without the typical effort needed to manage them individually. Also, devs are used to profiling, so this isn't anything new as of right now though.

Here's the thing. You're betting that Microsoft is done adding SKU's to their line up. You don't think Sony or Microsoft won't be adding newer versions of their hardware and with more horsepower? Newer PC hardware will show up with newer features and Sony and Microsoft will add that stuff in. The performance floor will rise up again. Regardless of the tools, performance will take a hit.

Again, it's not holding back anything right now.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I intend to pick up a Series S as my secondary/bedroom system. Everything I have seen so far indicates that it will be great for that purpose.

It certainly seems to have more value than all these deeply concerned comments do.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The S is a burden to develop for. I don't think this will change with time, and I think it's a bad choice for anyone looking for a next gen experience.

It's probably not for that type of consumer though. The S is just there for the folks that want to play the new Call of Duty as cheaply as possible, and that's fine... but don't expect it to hold up in side by side comparisons.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what's happening, though. DMCV lacks ray tracing entirely on Series S, and AC Valhalla runs at half the framerate.

It's not just difference in resolution. Not at all.

The AC game could be 60fps with other setting, Ubisoft is not trying.

About DMCV, I would consider raytracing as graphical effect, so if it need be disabled to have performance parity I wouldn't mind.

Nov 8, 2017
People shit talking it and laughing because "omg it hits 576p" was bizarre without the context that in similar situations the far more powerful system were 900p. It was pretty much the expected scaling there.

Oct 27, 2017
I looked him up on LinkedIn since I was wondering if he's mostly a business or technology guy and apparently he has like 30 years of experience, mostly working in the European and Asian markets with most of it spent developing games and game engines for every platform under the sun.

Definitely seems like a biased and unreliable source. I understand now how concerned people are in this thread.

Wizzlight

Nov 18, 2020
People shit talking it and laughing because "omg it hits 576p" was bizarre without the context that in similar situations the far more powerful system were 900p. It was pretty much the expected scaling there.
Thing is, it hit 576p with potato quality graphics, when that gets fixed, what is going to be the new low on the res?

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Microsoft should've made a discless Series X rather than a new piece of hardware outright. It's clear seeing the games that it won't do 1080 60 consistently and having to develop an extra version will be a pain for developers.