• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What games from 2017 until today get a shot at the title of "Greatest of All Time?

• Hollow Knight

Votes: 191 9.8%
  • TLoZ: Breath of the Wild

Votes: 987 50.8%
  • Red Dead Redemption

Votes: 327 16.8%
  • God of War (2018)

Votes: 387 19.9%
  • The Last of Us 2

Votes: 467 24.0%
  • Other (Put in the comments)

Votes: 161 8.3%
  • None from 2017 until today is good enough to be called GOAT.

Votes: 219 11.3%

• Total voters

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wyj2spfktmk61.jpg

Four Years ago The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild released and it was a massive commercial and critical success. It sold more switch copies than actual available Nintendo Swich systems at the time. It won a great amount of GOTY awards in a year stacked with great games. It is now the best selling Zelda the game of all time, and it keeps on selling. All around, not bad for the 35th year old series.

And, more importantly for this thread, it was a serious contender for Best Game of All Time, a title that is constantly discussed. Even if it's not the best for most people, it usually finds it's way easily into Top 10, Top 5 and even Top 3 on most lists.

So, in the past 4 years, has any other game came close to claim a shot at the title? Will a future game may have a chance? Maybe BOTW 2 can make lightning strike twice? What do you think?

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
On a personal level, BOTW was nowhere close to being the best game of all time. Solid 7/10 for me.

I liked these more:
ruic98ahdg451.jpg

The Last of Us 2

or

maxresdefault.jpg

Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited:

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Presumably it's the 3rd where you're located? It's still March 2nd in the States. In any case that's also a Happy 4 years to the Nintendo Switch. Such a monumental title and platform and I couldn't be any happier with the direction Nintendo has taken since.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this for games that you personally enjoy or games that have amassed so much critical and commercial success that there could be a genuine argument put forth that they represent the current pedestal for "best game ever"?

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2 isn't my cup of tea but for people that like that sort of open world I could easily see it being in the running. Doesn't seem like there's anything else on its level for that style of open world game.

Is this for games that you personally enjoy or games that have amassed so much critical and commercial success that there could be a genuine argument put forth that they represent the current pedestal for "best game ever"?

I read it as the latter

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Last of Us 2, Witcher 3 and God of War surpassed it in the number of awards it got.

So those three.

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions are subjective, so as long as you can make an argument for why the game you champion is GOAT worthy, you can post anything you want.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds didn't get the critical reception to match but it's easily one of the best games I've ever played.

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
The best game I've played in the last 5 10 years was Outer Wilds

TLOU2 and RDR2 won't even be mentioned in GOAT conversations in a few years, get outta here with that

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The number of GotY awards is a function of how many outlets give out awards which increases every year. It's silly that anyone not involved in marketing still talks about them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions are subjective, so as long as you can make an argument for why the game you champion is GOAT worthy, you can post anything you want.

Well I mean yeah it's all subjective but the thing is I'd go to bat for Hollow Knight because it's laser focused onto everything I want out of this kind of game, so consequently it's hard to get out of my head and place myself in the shoes of someone who might not like it.

If I tried to put forth Hollow Knight as some kind of universal crown for games I guess I'd talk about its refining of decades of Metroidvania games and the more recent Souls-like boom to craft a title that exemplifies the best parts of both of those, creating a new standard for the genre that I would certainly like to call unshakeable but that would be limiting to the future of its development.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Weapon degradation disqualifies any game from GOAT status, but to answer your question. Not really. Maybe GoW or TLOU II get the closest. Mario Odyssey doesn't get there.

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Last of Us 2, Witcher 3 and God of War surpassed it in the number of awards it got.
Number of awards is good as a percentage, but as a whole taking into account how pretty much any publication or site can give awards, just the sheer number is... eh.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I would've said TLOU2 but the story was inferior to the 1st game.

I thought it was a lot better. I was completely enthralled with it. I liked TLOU1, but it was never the masterpiece it was for me that it was for so many others (I remember not liking the ending at all).

TLOU2 was one of the best games stories I've ever played through.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Personally i say no.
I'm 38. I barely played videogames. Than Zelda Botw came...and i felt like the first time playing Super Mario World on the SNES! Incredible to get that feeling again.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
2017 was an amazing year for games but BotW still crushed it. BotW also crushed it in Best of the Decade lists, if I recall.

LaoJim

Mar 29, 2020
I wasn't a particular fan of Breath of the Wild and haven't played Last of Us 2 yet (didn't like LoU1 though).

That said, I don't think any game in the last few years has a serious shot at Greatest status. Gaming is going through a process of iterative/improvement rather than innovation and we haven't seem anything as earth-shaking as a Doom or GTA3 which is so far ahead of the competition that they need to be in the Top 10 All-Time list.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
In terms of mainstream opinion both from players and critics, probably not.

On a personal level I think games like God of War, TLOU2 and RDR2 are at that tier.

Sep 19, 2020
Number of awards is good as a percentage, but as a whole taking into account how pretty much any publication or site can give awards, just the sheer number is... eh.

I was just thinking that. Cool that something got a ton of awards, but I really don't think I'll take into high regard awards from Timmy's Epic Video Game Blog or xXxNARUTOREVIEWSxXx's YouTube channel.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I liked Breath of the Wild but wasn't as high on it for probably the same reasons people liked it so much. On the other hand, I liked TLOU2 but I feel like people played a completely different game the way it's praised to high heaven. It was good but... I don't understand the hyperbole behind it?

I can't think of anything that set a very ambitious goal and accomplished it in the same way as BotW in the last four years.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I found Red Dead 2 so boring, like...Maybe 5/10 I would give it.

I don't understand that at all (I loved the game), but I also thought much of BOTW was good but pretty forgettable at the end of the day when that's clearly a minority opinion, so I guess it just comes down to different tastes.

I still think about TLOU2 (and to a lesser extent, RDR2) months/years (in the case of RDR2) down the road, but don't feel that way about BOTW at all.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Na, don't think so. Maybe Sekiro for me. But BOTW is just on another level, what a game.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These are the games I've played since BoTW that I ended up thinking of more highly than BoTW:

Prey
Persona 5 Royal (not finished yet but very close to the end and if the game sticks the landing then yeah)
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (I enjoyed BoTW more on the whole but Ultimate is kind of a staggering achievement IMO)

And the games I played before BoTW that I'd put ahead of BoTW in my own personal opinion:

Super Metroid
ArmA 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Deus Ex

BoTW remains within my top 10 after all is said and done