• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
It's just a regular Wedenesday and out there someone is going through a break up.

It sucks. Share with me your break up stories and how you managed to deal with it.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
Worst for me was still working with recent ex then walking by her talking to another female co-worker so gleefully about how her and her new boyfriend did it over and over nonstop over the weekend. Soul crushing and beyond jealous really as I was basically in love with her still, and felt like that should be me. Real shitty feeling.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Worst for me was still working with recent ex then walking by her talking to another female co-worker so gleefully about how her and her new boyfriend did it over and over nonstop over the weekend. Soul crushing and beyond jealous really as I was basically in love with her still, and felt like that should be me. Real shitty feeling.

How long ago was this, what did you do to move on?

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
My breakups were normal , first one was easy didn't feel sad at all , second real breakup was harder but I was fine after a few days, I just went out with friends and played video games , I tend to move on from stuff like that really quickly.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
My breakups were normal , first one was easy didn't feel sad at all , second real breakup was harder but I was fine after a few days, I just went out with friends and played video games , I tend to move on from stuff like that really quickly.

How long were you seeing the people you were dating?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick"
Jun 17, 2018
Breakups suck, so do deaths, embrace your inner nothingness and shrivel away from the world!

...I guess I'm not the best person to ask. But it sure sucks to have a hunch of bad breakups in your past them finally meet someone who you think can be happy with only for the world to take a shit on that notion.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Not at all , dating was pretty much the same and I am married now, been married for 6 years.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Breakups suck, so do deaths, embrace your inner nothingness and shrivel away from the world!

...I guess I'm not the best person to ask. But it sure sucks to have a hunch of bad breakups in your past them finally meet someone who you think can be happy with only for the world to take a shit on that notion.

Yup, the world is always going to find a way to surprise you in the worst ways.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Years ago I broke up with my then GF on December 25th, soured the holidays for me that year.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Although it wasn't easy, I was ultimately able to internalize that every breakup is a victory. Each one puts you closer to the one that finally works. Literally took years of work and cognitive therapy but I was able to understand that breakups are a normal process and have far more to do with the other person as opposed fo self-perceived failures and inadequacy.

It's easy for me to say that now, but I was a huge wreck after my wife left me for a UPS Store clerk who was 10 years younger than me. But holy shit is my life better for it.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
How did you know she was the one you would marry?
Ohh wow , funny thing is when I met her , she was dating someone else (so was I but my relationship was ending). As soon as I saw her I though "wow she is beautiful , too bad she is taken" but we remained friends , I never tried to flirt with her or anything , I didn't want to be that type of person. A few years later , I saw her again in university, she was single by then and so was I , so I decided to try and flirt with her before I left for basic training . After a few months of flirting, I asked her out and she said yes . Stupid me actually stood her up on our date , so I really had to apologize so I went to her house and told her bluntly that I wanted to date her and I kissed her , after my douche bag move , we went to the movies and that's what started a great 6 year marriage.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Ohh wow , funny thing is when I met her , she was dating someone else (so was I but my relationship was ending). As soon as I saw her I though "wow she is beautiful , too bad she is taken" but we remained friends , I never tried to flirt with her or anything , I didn't want to be that type of person. A few years later , I saw her again in university, she was single by then and so was I , so I decided to try and flirt with her before I left for basic training . After a few months of flirting, I asked her out and she said yes . Stupid me actually stood her up on our date , so I really had to apologize so I went to her house and told her bluntly that I wanted to date her and I kissed her , after my douche bag move , we went to the movies and that's what started a great 6 year marriage.

That sounds so easy in hindsight. I'm really happy things worked out for you two!

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Although it wasn't easy, I was ultimately able to internalize that every breakup is a victory. Each one puts you closer to the one that finally works. Literally took years of work and cognitive therapy but I was able to understand that breakups are a normal process and have far more to do with the other person as opposed fo self-perceived failures and inadequacy.

It's easy for me to say that now, but I was a huge wreck after my wife left me for a UPS Store clerk who was 10 years younger than me. But holy shit is my life better for it.

This sounded very inspirational right until the end and then it felt like a gut punch. I'm so sorry to hear that happened. How has life gotten better for you?

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Ex-bf dumped me back in January because I developed a medical problem which impacted my libido. After months of intense hurt, I think I'm mostly over it by now.

SmackDaddy

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Throughout all of my breakups, I've had 2 really bad ones. The similarity between them was that they were both emotionally abusive toward me in the relationship. I am a recovering codependent so I took that abuse as evidence from someone I loved deeply that I am a worthless piece of shit. I basically wanted to die and was depressed for about 1-2 years after both of those breakups.

Couple years of therapy later, I'm in a much healthier and respectful 6 month relationship. I don't know where this one will go but it's fun!!

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Ex-bf dumped me back in January because I developed a medical problem which impacted my libido. After months of intense hurt, I think I'm mostly over it by now.

Break ups hurt and I hope you're feeling better now. How long were you two dating? Was libido the thing the ended the relationship or were there other issues?

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Broke up with my ex 1.5 years ago and despite dating I now have an overwhelming fear of commitment and inability to form attachments/serious feelings for the perfectly nice girls I'm seeing.

I'm largely over my ex but I hate who I am in relationships. I become clingy and needy. Can't imagine feeling that way about anybody again.

Courier 7

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Over after 10 years. Shits rough. I felt empty as hell. Nothing mattered anymore.

Here I am. About 1-1.5 years later.

I managed by focusing on myself. Self-care, self-love. Shake off that feeling of worthlessness. Working out. Diet. Threw all my clothes away (I was slimming down anyway. I was 250+ at my heaviest. At 190 now) and got a whole new wardrobe. Fixing up my teeth (never got braces as a kid). Just straight up investing in myself and selfishly spending my free time by doing things that I love. I honestly never loved my self or attempted to try until my relationship ended. That self-hate, especially in hindsight, was defintely one of the failings of that relationship.

SmackDaddy

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Broke up with my ex 1.5 years ago and despite dating I now have an overwhelming fear of commitment and inability to form attachments/serious feelings for the perfectly nice girls I'm seeing.

I'm largely over my ex but I hate who I am in relationships. I become clingy and needy. Can't imagine feeling that way about anybody again.

Being clingy and needy are super subjective yo. I'd suggest being curious as to why you are like that when moving forward as opposed to judgemental!!

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017

I was in a relationship where I cared more and now I'm thinking this may have come off as too clingy or needy. Now I feel this is just going to make me feel distant in any relationship I approach.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
My last break up my ex broke up with me out of the blue. I tried my best to work it out with her but she ultimately stuck to her decision. Even though I was initially devastated, after trying for a week to make her reconsider and failing, I moved on pretty quick. I felt like I had given everything I could to that relationship (she had cheated on me earlier in our relationship and we went to counselling).

Hardest part was that we lived together and had a few more months on our lease. Initially we continued to live together (we took turns sleeping on the couch until I ultimately slept there every night). She couldn't afford the rent alone and I didn't want to move back in with my parents and we both didn't want to break our lease. A month after breaking up I met my current girlfriend via Hinge and instantly fell for her. I wasn't hoping to start a new relationship for a while, but she took me by surprise. I decided to move back into my parents out of respect for my ex and this girl I had started seeing. I lived at home for about 2 months, while still paying half my rent for my apartment with my ex, before getting a new apartment with my now current girlfriend (things progressed extremely quickly for us).

Ultimately my ex had a much harder time with our breakup than I did. I put so much into that relationship that when it was evident it was over for real I felt satisfied that I gave it my all and got the closure I wanted and was ready to move on. It was a weird experience, and people expected me to be more sad / sadder for longer than I was.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018
Break ups hurt and I hope you're feeling better now. How long were you two dating? Was libido the thing the ended the relationship or were there other issues?
Thank you. We had been together for 3.5 years at that point and I had always foolishly believed that it would be a forever proposition. (We had both talked about marriage to each other at one point, but he later demurred.)

The libido thing was 100% the reason, as: 1.) He has severe self-worth issues and giving women orgasms is literally the only thing which makes him feel good about himself; 2.) He's going through a massive midlife crisis--and was when we first got together, although I naively didn't realize it at the time. His dad died many years ago at the same age he is now, so he's dead certain his time will be here any moment now. He had been in a largely sexless marriage for 27 years, so now he's desperately trying to get all the sex he can before he drops dead. (We used to do it 3-5 times every day early on in the relationship.)

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
These things suck but honestly it's better that they happen when things are bad than not. Dont want to get stuck in a shitty cycle with someone who doesn't even care about you. I was stuck in a crappy ass relationship for like 7 years. I moved onto something equally shitty, but once you get that out of your system and you learn a lot about toxicity, you learn to value healthy relationships and incubate them so they grow to their fullest potential.

The part I hated the most about all of that was reclaiming the things I enjoyed. It sucks when you have shared memories, and need to detach the "good times" from those hobbies or interests. Once you can do that it's fulfilling af.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
i broke up with my college girlfriend who cheated on me and almost all of my "friends" chose her over me. i cut all those loser out of my life and knew who my real friends were and am close with them to this day.

how i got over it was taking some time to work on me and then got myself back out there via online dating.

Zultima

Mar 4, 2020
How long ago was this, what did you do to move on?
Recent... haven't yet. I should have saw it coming. The guy was her ex who she wasn't really over when we started seeing each other.
The shittyness too is legit best looking girl I've been with, literaly my perfect type. And our personalities clicked so well, we literaly became quick best friends even before we went out. I just don't get it really. Maybe just stubbornness because he dumped her and she was happy he wanted her back. I don't get it. When she never had anything positive to say about him. It really doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

Chaeotic

Oct 25, 2017
I hope everyone here, both posters and lurkers, is doing okay. Breakups are rarely easy, and you are all wonderful people.

I've always been the one to initiate the breakup, so it's been bittersweet experience. I'm still friends with all my exes, and one even began to date a close friend. Been with my partner now for just under ten years, engaged with a date for next year - though even we had a "break period" along the way I instigated.

It was never boredom that pushed me, but a sense of settling, being happy with the status quo. I'm a very driven person, always looking for ways to improve myself as a person. Inside a relationship is no different to me - my partner deserves the best, as I (and every one!), does in return.

Libido is a small time issue with my fiance, but she has been working on that since we had a pretty rough patch a few months back. Sex for me is more than just the release, it's intimacy that I crave.

The only advice I can ever give is a metaphor. Every 12 months, I scalp my grass back to bare dirt. For a few weeks, it looks like shit - dead, brown, no life. But a month later, you see green shoots. Two months later - a thick, green grass, better than the one before. While twelve months is a little dramatic in a relationship, never settle for "that's how it is". Every single human being deserves the best and all the love in the world.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Have you been dating since that breakup? What did you learn from ending that relationship?

I gave too much of myself in that relationship, I learned to put myself and my happiness first.

I kept dating and had two kinda long relationships after that, 3 and 2 years.

I'm happy with my current GF, she's great and I have learned a lot from her.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I hope everyone here, both posters and lurkers, is doing okay. Breakups are rarely easy, and you are all wonderful people.

I've always been the one to initiate the breakup, so it's been bittersweet experience. I'm still friends with all my exes, and one even began to date a close friend. Been with my partner now for just under ten years, engaged with a date for next year - though even we had a "break period" along the way I instigated.

It was never boredom that pushed me, but a sense of settling, being happy with the status quo. I'm a very driven person, always looking for ways to improve myself as a person. Inside a relationship is no different to me - my partner deserves the best, as I (and every one!), does in return.

Libido is a small time issue with my fiance, but she has been working on that since we had a pretty rough patch a few months back. Sex for me is more than just the release, it's intimacy that I crave.

The only advice I can ever give is a metaphor. Every 12 months, I scalp my grass back to bare dirt. For a few weeks, it looks like shit - dead, brown, no life. But a month later, you see green shoots. Two months later - a thick, green grass, better than the one before. While twelve months is a little dramatic in a relationship, never settle for "that's how it is". Every single human being deserves the best and all the love in the world.

What do you feel is most important to a successful relationship?

Is it similiar personalities, same long term goals, compromising?

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
my ex breaking up with me over text, after 4ish years of off and on, was one of the greatest things to have ever happened to me tbh.

im finally in a relationship after 2 years single and im the happiest ive been in such a long time.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I gave too much of myself in that relationship, I learned to put myself and my happiness first.

I kept dating and had two kinda long relationships after that, 3 and 2 years.

I'm happy with my current GF, she's great and I have learned a lot from her.

I'm happy you found happiness. I think we can sometimes take it for granted until it's gone.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
my ex breaking up with me over text, after 4ish years of off and on, was one of the greatest things to have ever happened to me tbh.

im finally in a relationship after 2 years single and im the happiest ive been in such a long time.

Why didn't it work out between you two? What was the biggest lesson you learned from that relationship?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Broke up earlier this year.

Long back story short; an extremely good friend and I started hooking up and dating. We'd met at our last job and really hit it off. A lot of fucking around lead to finally dating, but when it all came down to it we had the realisation our attraction to each other was limited. It was always missing something, a special chemistry, and we dragged it out far longer than we probably should have. We reconciled that ultimately we probably decided to date out of a mutual loneliness; neither of us had been in relationships for a very long time, we were in a shitty job together when we met, quickly became extremely good friends, and that mutual loneliness spearheaded something that was probably never going to work.

She initiated the breakup but the writing was on the wall for awhile. I was gutted. Just felt like one big failure of regret, empathy, communication, and everything else. Did what most people do and overthought everything, whether it was doomed to fail, if I could have done better, if we could have fixed it, if it was a good idea in the first place, and the consequences of breaking up. It really hurt both of us because there was that lingering possibility it'd just be too hard to see each other again. Worsened by the fact that despite no longer working at our old job, we actually worked right next to each other at a new job. So it felt like everything was unravelling. Took two days to really sink in and hit me. Walked in the door after work and just broke down into an absolute mess. I don't think I've ever cried that hard in my life.

We worked it out though, within a week or two. A bit clumsy and awkward at first, but once the emotional draining was out of the way we were able to rationalise the circumstances that lead to us being together, the value we still had for each other, and reconciled the situation. Rarely happens but we've remained both colleagues and extremely good friends. We still hang out and talk outside of work very regularly, strictly platonically. We still have mutual friends that we spend time with, no hard feelings. It's all gravy, and back to how it really should have always been.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Broke up earlier this year.

Long back story short; an extremely good friend and I started hooking up and dating. We'd met at our last job and really hit it off. A lot of fucking around lead to finally dating, but when it all came down to it we had the realisation our attraction to each other was limited. It was always missing something, a special chemistry, and we dragged it out far longer than we probably should have. We reconciled that ultimately we probably decided to date out of a mutual loneliness; neither of us had been in relationships for a very long time, we were in a shitty job together when we met, quickly became extremely good friends, and that mutual loneliness spearheaded something that was probably never going to work.

She initiated the breakup but the writing was on the wall for awhile. I was gutted. Just felt like one big failure of regret, empathy, communication, and everything else. Did what most people do and overthought everything, whether it was doomed to fail, if I could have done better, if we could have fixed it, if it was a good idea in the first place, and the consequences of breaking up. It really hurt both of us because there was that lingering possibility it'd just be too hard to see each other again. Worsened by the fact that despite no longer working at our old job, we actually worked right next to each other at a new job. So it felt like everything was unravelling. Took two days to really sink in and hit me. Walked in the door after work and just broke down into an absolute mess. I don't think I've ever cried that hard in my life.

We worked it out though, within a week or two. A bit clumsy and awkward at first, but once the emotional draining was out of the way we were able to rationalise the circumstances that lead to us being together, the value we still had for each other, and reconciled the situation. Rarely happens but we've remained both colleagues and extremely good friends. We still hang out and talk outside of work very regularly, strictly platonically. We still have mutual friends that we spend time with, no hard feelings. It's all gravy, and back to how it really should have always been.

This felt like a rollercoaster of emotions just reading what you wrote. I feel like being in such a relationship can take an emotional toll. What was your biggest lesson from the relationship?

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
This felt like a rollercoaster of emotions just reading what you wrote. I feel like being in such a relationship can take an emotional toll. What was your biggest lesson from the relationship?

If something seems off, open up a dialogue sooner rather than later and confront the problem. We had very good communication otherwise (realistically our excellent communication is precisely how we wound up friends both before dating and after breakup), but neither of us wanted to address the fact something felt wrong about the missing chemistry. Probably a compounded combination of that mutual loneliness leading to us dating, the fact we still really liked each other as friends, and the additional stressors and expectations of both being in a relationship and the emotional heartache of it ending. So despite being so close and comfortable talking to each other about anything and everything, we had a giant elephant in the room neither of us wanted to address.

Like I don't have any major regrets or anything. Obviously stuff we could have done better, stuff I should have done better. But it's all over now, and all either of us could do is grow from it. We managed to salvage our friendship and reconcile why we dated and broke up, which I'm very fortunate to have that given how unlikely that is. It's a testament to the kind of people we are that we were able to have the right conversations after the fact to keep the good stuff we started with, but ironically a lesson on how we probably should have had those conversations earlier too. Can't change the past though.

OP
OP
The Traveller

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
Throughout all of my breakups, I've had 2 really bad ones. The similarity between them was that they were both emotionally abusive toward me in the relationship. I am a recovering codependent so I took that abuse as evidence from someone I loved deeply that I am a worthless piece of shit. I basically wanted to die and was depressed for about 1-2 years after both of those breakups.

Couple years of therapy later, I'm in a much healthier and respectful 6 month relationship. I don't know where this one will go but it's fun!!

I'm happy to hear things take a positive turn. It seems like even though many people have a difficult breakup it always leads to a more positive outcome.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Happily married for 9 years, dated for two years before hand. Good discussions, enjoy the little things, and be on the same page.

Now about breakups, my first breakup was for sure my worst. Dated her for about a year and a half and I realized that after a summer away I didn't want to be with her anymore. I realized that it was unfair to her to not rip off the bandaid. However, it soured almost all of our mutual friends against me. She went real scorched earth.
Now I am happily married and recently found she got married as well. Her wife and her looked happy on their wedding day

ffgameman

Nov 2, 2017
I went through a break-up with a coworker earlier this year in January (after a 7 month relationship, so it wasn't too long....but it was also my first relationship as a 33-year old guy).

Earlier this week, I discovered that one of my friends (and another coworker) just started dating her. What makes it worse is that they talked quite a bit WHILE we were dating. Once I confronted both of them at the time, they downplayed it saying nothing was there.

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Why didn't it work out between you two? What was the biggest lesson you learned from that relationship?

a multitude of reasons. a majority of it being on me. i was battling mental illness and losing. i suffered from built up trauma + ptsd from my childhood paired with all stages of adulthood at once by moving to a city i had never been to in order to pursue a better life & career. i had never lived away from any family or lived on my own at 21 so i didnt make the best choices for myself. my childhood best friend died shortly after moving away and that also took a very significant toll. as my mental health worsened i basically collapsed as a person. my memory of most of it is tv static and flashes of moments i cant put together. i just know my relationship suffered immensely because i had not taken the steps to get help sooner after being raised in a abusive household that taught me to keep things to yourself, suck it up. i was carrying a lot of weight from years of abuse and untreated mental illness without help, not realizing the resources i needed were always there. i made choices that contributed to my own downfall while failing to notice how i was destroying everything around me in the process. in the long run, my partner did the best they could as they too were growing as a individual. we both did things we werent proud of but my part was significantly more substantial. he forgives me and i am grateful but a part of me will always regret how much unnecessary pain i caused, both from things i remember and pieces i cannot.

its been 2 years since then though and things between us became tangled in little ways. we slept together off and on but neither of us got close enough to the other to be intimate. all very detached with nostalgia sort of lost in the middle. i felt myself miss them deeply but did my best to swallow it. we felt like home to each other i think but....eventually i walked away. i dont think it was healthy for either of us.

i will always be grateful for our time together both the happiest moments and the pain of all of it. i learned and evolved immensely from the love i experienced with him but i wouldnt be who i am now if they hadn't chosen to end things with me.