• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.

Totally unrelated case and an old incident, but this is blowing up on reddit right now. 2015 DUI case in FLA where the judge tears into the prosecutor for trying to convict a woman after the officer clearly perjured himself. The judge even asks the prosecutor if she's going to bring charges against the officer and, of course, the officer says it was just a "mistake" and she's not bringing charges. This is why you can't prosecute cops:

I cannot believe the prosecutor here wasn't charged with contempt.

according to comments this judge also got "demoted" to only try civil cases now

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
according to comments this judge also got "demoted" to only try civil cases now

He did.

To be honest, he also acted inappropriately. He basically got a bit too heated and started making judgements and ruling on motions no one had made. That's not something he should be doing as a judge. But, to then remove him from criminal trials entirely is not a good look unless he was just tired of dealing with those two-faced fucking prosecutors.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
A woman gets slaughtered in her own home, and this coward was more concerned with his party affiliation and political future, yet still tried to shield his actions by invoking his Blackness.

Not to mention he did this willfully in the midst of the current global conversation that's taking place on race.

Sure, the future Senate seat and potentially governorship might still be there, but this should spell the end of Daniel Cameron's national aspirations as a "rising star."

The good news is people are calling him out. Tamika Mallory did a fantastic job last week, I felt.

Rightfully so. Love the fire in her belly and flow of facts. You have to let people know how much of a complete fraud Cameron is.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Cameron gave an interview where he confirms he didn't recommend any charges at all against the other two officers. He told reporters at his press conference last week that he didn't make any recommendations himself.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
The fact that they can just pick and choose evidences is so fucked up in the first place, but nobody questions it and it's considered normal

i hate it

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"Having re-read the transcripts, I realize that there are sections I need to petition to have redacted lest I be disbarred"

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Such BS.. just release it.. simple... This only makes it worse and honestly means I will not believe what you finally do release was not messed with.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This is just like the Mueller report. "This document totally exonerates the officers involved." "Can we see it?" "Oh hell no."

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Asking for a delay with no real reason given? Not suspect at all. Probably hoping in a weeks time, some of the heat will have died down and there wouldn't be as much eyes on this.

I imagine the heat won't die down in his home state, where he has to worry about protests and reelection. The judge will probably admonish him or at least make him state clearly why he requires the delay after publicly acquiescing to the request only days ago.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
A Friday noon release won't help him lose the heat that is on him. If anything, it will give people more time to get clear of mind to dissect the proceedings.

A week-long delay would have provided some coverage. A week in 2020 is a month in previous years.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
A Friday noon release won't help him lose the heat that is on him. If anything, it will give people more time to get clear of mind to dissect the proceedings.

A week-long delay would have provided some coverage. A week in 2020 is a month in previous years.

And now releasing it on Friday means larger crowds of protestors since it's the weekend.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
He said he wanted to a delay to redact witness names etc. In my experience, it takes roughly the same length of your audio to redact it, and he has roughly 20 hours of recordings, so he would have had plenty of time to have redacted this by the deadline.

My take is that he wanted time to come up with motions to not submit entire portions of the recordings and to gum that up in the courts.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
prosecutors in this country, especially AGs, need to be completely overhauled. there can be no justice if the people in charge of pursuing it decide that black people don't deserve it.

·feist·

Oct 26, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Breonna Taylor Grand Jury Audio Reveals Conflicting Accounts of Fatal Raid

The 15 hours of recordings include interviews with witnesses, audio of 911 calls and other evidence — but few statements from prosecutors.

apnews.com

Grand jury audio details raid that killed Breonna Taylor

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Police said they knocked and announced themselves for a minute or more before bursting into Breonna Taylor’s apartment, but her boyfriend said he did not hear officers identify themselves, according to Kentucky grand jury recordings released Friday.

www.npr.org

Court Releases Grand Jury Recording In Breonna Taylor Case

The recording could answer lingering questions about how prosecutors have handled a case that has fueled protests in Kentucky and across the nation.

www.courier-journal.com

Daniel Cameron should have just said he recommended no charges in Breonna Taylor's death

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron's decision to hide behind grand jury blows hole in his credibility.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Excuse me?!? Can you source this?
Should be able to Google it. The KY constitution has a pretty explicit experience clause that Cameron very explicitly didn't meet. There was a lawsuit filed during his campaign, the judge didn't want to issue something that would seem that political (ruling against Cameron would essentially hand the election to his opponent) and left it to voters.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
Should be able to Google it. The KY constitution has a pretty explicit experience clause that Cameron very explicitly didn't meet. There was a lawsuit filed during his campaign, the judge didn't want to issue something that would seem that political (ruling against Cameron would essentially hand the election to his opponent) and left it to voters.

So he does have law experience, just not the KY required 8 years. Not as bad as what I read originally. Shitty, but meh.

www.courier-journal.com

Lawsuit challenges eligibility of Republican attorney general candidate Daniel Cameron

The lawsuit alleges Republican attorney general nominee Daniel Cameron hasn't practiced law for eight years as required in the state constitution

The Courier-Journal said:
According to The Messenger, the former attorney general and House speaker claimed in a Madisonville campaign stop on Thursday that Cameron lacks the constitutionally required eight years of experience practicing law.

That said, fuck Cameron.

Edit:
"We can't find one instance of Cameron having prosecuted a case — criminal or civil," Stumbo said. "It's a serious question and one that needs to be resolved."

Yeah, missed that. You were correct in your original post.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
www.courier-journal.com

Lawsuit challenges eligibility of Republican attorney general candidate Daniel Cameron

The lawsuit alleges Republican attorney general nominee Daniel Cameron hasn't practiced law for eight years as required in the state constitution

So he does have law experience, just not the KY required 8 years. Not as bad as what I read originally. Shitty, but meh.

That said, fuck Cameron.
It's not just that he didn't meet the letter of the law requirements, but the experience he does have is shit like clerking for judges or serving as McConnell's counsel, nothing that would be relevant to the Attorney General position.

olubode

Oct 28, 2017
It's not just that he didn't meet the letter of the law requirements, but the experience he does have is shit like clerking for judges or serving as McConnell's counsel, nothing that would be relevant to the Attorney General position.
Yeah, so sorry about that. I missed that in my source.
Though in this case, I pray his inexperience is going to cost him dearly.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA

Was his opponent a Democrat?

nothing suspicious about this at all....

Such bullshit. I hope they root out all this BS, drag down the AG, and heavily investigate circumstances that led to unqualified persons getting into positions they weren't eligible for (yet).

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I served on a grand jury for 7 months, I served on 5 police involved shootings. The State attorneys do everything in their power to make cops innocent. They go through all the semantics of the laws and really push to make anything they do ok.

I was on a case where cops shot a child. The rest of the grand jury did not want to indict because the cop said "it was dark and I was scared". The kid did not have a weapon in hand, it was dark and the cop simply saying he felt "threatened" was basically drilled into our head as being "ok".

It was sickening, I can imagine this juror underwent similar circumstances.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Any legal proceeding involving a police officer should be public record. Fuck that AG in the soul.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

Wait, was this lawsuit appealed? How can you fail to meet the clear black letter law requirement and then the judge just go, "welp, sorry political question?"

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Wait, was this lawsuit appealed? How can you fail to meet the clear black letter law requirement and then the judge just go, "welp, sorry political question?"
I want to say that the judge ruled that though the law doesn't count clerking experience, there was prior precedent to count it so they weren't going to overturn that. I dont know if it was appealed or not, but I think it was too close to the election to matter.

Yes

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that about confirms my suspicion that he sandbagged it.

He was a rising black Republican and there was no way he was going to put our boys in blue, our HEROES, in jail for the murder they committed.

meowdi gras

Banned
Feb 24, 2018

nothing-to-see-here-gif-4.gif