• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

free_bubble

Oct 27, 2017
Brawl is by far the worst playing Smash but that Stickerbrush Symphony remix makes it all worthwhile...

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate is missing quite a few features from 4 too (custom specials + stat altering was something I personally had a lot of fun with) so saying Brawl has something to go back to while 4 has nothing is super weird.
That actually is a really good point I forgot about 4 and easily the best reason to ever go back to it. The main problem was unlocking custom moves was an absolute chore so I never really got to enjoy them as a couch multiplayer element. But once you do get them all unlocked, it's probably a blast fighting your friends with them.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Better than 4? You must be tripping.
Ultimate being Smash 4 but better has kinda retconned Smash 4 as a bad game

And I somewhat agree. In hindsight, the graphics were actually mediocre, the gameplay is only marginally faster than Brawl, the new Wii U stages are junk and the game is lacking any real single player content at all.

Meanwhile Brawl is Brawl and was never really made "bad" by sequels. There's still something charming about going back to it and its awkward dated art style, janky physics and fantastic roster.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a few select characters (like Palutena and Mega Man), custom moves were honestly really lame. They were just poorly implemented, poorly balanced and poorly designed.

Like, part of the fun of Smash is seeing these characters come together and represent the stuff they do in their games with their movesets, so who really wants to see stupid shit like Mario's fireballs shooting straight forward or DK becoming some kind of airbender? I know Smash always makes up moves and takes liberties with the characters on the roster, but they're usually not this unfitting or janky.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
brawl is the second best smash after ultimate
and yes the theme is amazing
sometimes i watch the subspace scene where Kirby flies into a ship and destroys it

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate being Smash 4 but better has kinda retconned Smash 4 as a bad game

And I somewhat agree. In hindsight, the graphics were actually mediocre, the gameplay is only marginally faster than Brawl, the new Wii U stages are junk and the game is lacking any real single player content at all.

Meanwhile Brawl is Brawl and was never really made "bad" by sequels. There's still something charming about going back to it and its awkward dated art style, janky physics and fantastic roster.
See, this is the funny thing: When the game came out, we were all excited about how it was "the middle ground of Brawl and Melee".

But Smash 4 really wasn't. It was Brawl without tripping and with faster fall speed and a bit higher hitstun. And while it was way more balanced and polished than Brawl, it was still ultimately broken at the end, and Smash 4 Bayonetta was a lot less interesting as the best character in the game than Brawl Metaknight.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That actually is a really good point I forgot about 4 and easily the best reason to ever go back to it. The main problem was unlocking custom moves was an absolute chore so I never really got to enjoy them as a couch multiplayer element. But once you do get them all unlocked, it's probably a blast fighting your friends with them.
Ohyeah, the grind was horrible. That's actually a pretty good strike against it, lol.

I somehow managed to get them all on my 3DS version, but I never managed on my WiiU even tho I tried. Thankfully you could send custom profiles from 3DS to WiiU.
I only got to use them fighting a friend 1v1 online, but it was great. Crappy stages downloaded from online + random character with random customs and random stats = ultimate jank fun times.
... Well, it was fun to me anyway!

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I will say Brawl has over Smash 3DS the ability to use classic and or gamecube controllers. Smash 4 3DS is pretty impressive for what it is but I'm not gonna spit on your shoes and say it's raining by saying that it's on the par of the other releases and aside from Smash Run (and portability, which Ultimate is a far superior entry in the series for) there's really not much reason to go back to that permutation specifically.

It is kind of a shame Smash Run isn't in Smash Ultimate, as I thought it was a good balance between the SSE grind and something more along the lines of the Melee adventure mode (which, while cute, also came to us in an era where Nintendo was only just starting to really dip into their back catalog)

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Brawl has honestly my second favourite OST in the entire series. 4's was terrible with it's 2-min mixes and 64 didn't have much of a soundtrack. Melee's orchestral score almost brings it to the spot, but Brawl's both wealth and diversity of tracks wins it over for me

Also I disliked Smash 4 before it was cool, that game was trash from the moment they took out wectoring

Elliott

Oct 25, 2017

Tell me this doesn't make you want to throw down immediately! Those vocals, the drums, everything is just so hype. Then it segues into that gorgeous opera shit. Bless Sakurai.

Smash music appreciation thread I guess?

5f0.png

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually dislike the Brawl theme.

The rest of the OST is legendary, don't get me wrong, but I feel like Brawl's theme almost marches in place too much and it doesn't feel like it's building towards a satisfying crescendo.

Melee blows it out of the water, and with Ultimate it's not even close - Lifelight's final moments made the Everyone Is Here trailer the thing of legends.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl's music is still probably the best in the series, with Ultimate and Melee fin a dead heat tie for second

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Brawl's theme was so good and versatile (every remix in the game is amazing). The 4/Ultimate themes seem like shells chasing its shadow.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
"Brawl is better than 4" is not an opinion I've seem much of yet its all over this thread. I get "Ultimate supplants 4" argument but that doesn't like retroactively render 4 garbage.
This. What even is going on. People dropped Brawl like a rock for 4, it never even got close to the tournament presence of the entries on either side of it; heck, it needed to be massively modded to even get any real attention. I mean, I liked and spent a ton of time with Brawl, but this idea that 4 is somehow worse is bananas.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
This. What even is going on. People dropped Brawl like a rock for 4, it never even got close to the tournament presence of the entries on either side of it; heck, it needed to be massively modded to even get any real attention. I mean, I liked and spent a ton of time with Brawl, but this idea that 4 is somehow worse is bananas.
But you see Brawl had a really shitty side scroller that added "content" and "value"

Brawl physics make for a terrible platforming experience

Oct 28, 2017
(Dropping 64 from the equation:)

I have never been convinced that any smash game is significantly better or worse outside of hardware limitations. The only game that I feel is flat out better is ULTIMATE.

Melee, Brawl, Wii U and 3DS are all relatively great games.

There is no denying the Brawl Theme is fantastic and the best of the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it always the Nintendo games that get rankings in terms of 'Worst' anyway and every other one has 'Best' in the thread title?

Also totally unfair to make OST thread into one by stealth, isn't it?

On topic - this game had my favourite ever rendition of DK's jungle theme. The one that plays during the cinematic introducing him and Diddy in the campaign mode. Make the next DK game like that please.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Man I totally forgot about that theme music. The menu track alone is better than any other Smash OST combined.

JuiceMan_V

Banned
Apr 17, 2019
Brawl is a bad smash game but the music was phenomenal.

I'd also say a garbage Smash game is like an 8/10 compared to most other games.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
God I cannot understand everyone celebrating this song. It was good ten years ago sure, but playing through Subspace and having 90% of it's music just be variations on the same song killed any fondness I ever had for it. At least World of Light had different songs for all of the different spirit battles and dungeons. And even without that, Lifelight outclasses it on just about every level.

Hearing the chorus kick in during Everyone is Here and the first time we heard the full track in the initial World of Light trailer as Kirby plummets to Earth gave me goosebumps both times. The Brawl theme doesn't even rate compared to that, and I've been an avid Smash fan since Melee.

Oct 25, 2017
Smash 4 also has the problem where it is completely obsolete after Smash Ultimate. There is nothing to bring people back. The single player content is an utter joke, and from a competitive perspective Smash 4 is simplistic and, after the DLC, not well-balanced.

Like yeah, Brawl's competitive scene is a joke, but at least it's an interesting joke filled with loads of creative techniques. I'd rather watch two Brawl Metaknights duke it out than any of the Smash 4 cast.
Smash 4 has Rival Smash tho.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still the best theme in the series imo

Ultimate's is pretty good, but doesn't reach the heights of brawl.

ZSeibar

Nov 2, 2017
Ultimate
Smash 4
Smash 64
Brawl

You guys are crazy putting Brawl above 4. 😂😂 Just No.

supafamiman

Oct 27, 2017
Can't understand opinion that Brawl is better than 4. With 4, you actually had *an actual game* with edge invincibility abuse fixed by the developers.

Played Brawl during early tournament scene before ledge camping limit rules were enforced and got to witness the horror of ledge camping, arrow spamming Pit for nearly 8 or so minutes (whatever the tournament time limit was at the time).

Brawl theme is good though.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I despise Brawl's visuals, gameplay and Subspace Emissary (in length, concept and structure).. but I say I can at least play the game.. which I can't say the same about Melee. Heck I love playing some Smash 64 too every now and then, but Melee.. feels so unpolished and lacking.

I know this a thread about Brawl's main theme tho; the music is good, but as every Smash game, it got old pretty quick... and I think Brawl's theme was the first one to be that overused everywhere in the game.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Brawl's theme got ruined forever for me by a youtube video with gag mondegreen lyrics. I only watched said video a couple times ages ago (apparently 13 freaking years ago) and still have the lyrics burned into my brain.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
2nd worst? oh hell no you aren't implying that 64 was the worst?

I still play that game every summer till this day
tenor.gif

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I actually dislike the Brawl theme.

The rest of the OST is legendary, don't get me wrong, but I feel like Brawl's theme almost marches in place too much and it doesn't feel like it's building towards a satisfying crescendo.

Melee blows it out of the water, and with Ultimate it's not even close - Lifelight's final moments made the Everyone Is Here trailer the thing of legends.
Yeah I agree. A lot of the ingame mixes that go a bit harder work really well but the intro itself falls flat for me compared to every other Smash game.

Not being able to switch up customs on the fly from the character select rendered the feature largely useless when playing with friends TBH.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl was the first game I ever remember being disappointed in, and also the first game where I got absorbed into a hype cycle.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Yup, one of the most hype fighting game intros ever.

Can anyone find the version with the parody subtitles that totally misinterpret the vocals?
I think it starts with "I'll be the Maaaarth... It was it wasn't meeee..." or something like that.

Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to take this opportunity to post a song from Brawl that I never see anyone talk about.

IIRC, I even used it in one of my custom stages back in the day.