• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I want an updated FF6 as much as anyone but certainly not with Octopath graphics. What that would have suited imo is a Tactics Ogre remake but that's too close to what they're already doing

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
My first night of exploration gave me 2 big xp orb and 2 big jp orb, plus a lot of gold and other smaller orbs... Let's just say that using a big xp orb on a level 5 character is quite a boost, she went directly to level 10!

I'll keep the jp orb for freelancer.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
My first night of exploration gave me 2 big xp orb and 2 big jp orb, plus a lot of gold and other smaller orbs... Let's just say that using a big xp orb on a level 5 character is quite a boost, she went directly to level 10!

I'll keep the jp orb for freelancer.

i've been avoiding using large jp orbs because I don't want to overlevel stuff, especially early on when there's aren't many classes to go around

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Those beastmaster boss counters were fucking bullshit.

It'll probably become a recurring trend that you want to execute bosses' last ~30% health in one fell swoop rather than letting them utilize their low health power boost(s).

Also Clothespins were really invaluable for Chapter 1 bosses, haha. So many sleep counters.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Near the end of town 3 and those hard mode bosses still are using cheap strat, but I finally found pretty good combo, easiest and deadliest is Thief, give him as much speed as possible and just destroy everything with Divine Speed (or whatever it's called in English)
I think I'm 26 hours in now, still loving every seconds of it.
There's a dude in Wiswald for BnD, Rank B, but his cards are so OP, he can completely fill the board it's so crazy.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I think at this point I have seen every job in the game called OP in this thread.

Which just goes to show how fantastic and varied the game is really.

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
I picked up a copy of the game that came with a poster, stickers and postcards (here). Don't really want them. If anyone would like them I'm happy to post them, just DM me.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I switched to hard in the second chapter because I'm just tearing through everything in normal with my party. For anyone just starting out, I wouldn't recommend leveling up your freelancer class on all characters to level 12 during the prologue. 🤣
But I have to admit, there is something incredibly satisfying about breaking the game.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
Man, experimenting and finding powerful job combos reminds me of how much I missed these games. I'm up to the beginning of chapter 3 and
I currently have Elvis with maxed out Red Mage/White Mage since the former's maxed passive casts spells twice. I can basically heal the party to full with one Cura/Curaga. I also have Adelle with maxed out Heroics/Theif with dual axes, along with the abilities Who Dares Wins, Fast Hands, and Raw Power. She's an absolute monster and can do nearly 10k damage per Neo Cross Slash or Godspeed Strike when fully braved.

Also, I guess I got lucky on
the Gambler fight. The bard only countered my white mage heals one time so it didn't give me hardly any trouble. I wonder if your stats affect how often it procs?

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Unshakeable Will on Berserker is basically Ribbon-lite and makes most of the status effects bosses cast moot. Sooooo busted.

Also ironic you get it on Berserker, making your Vent Fury skill uselsss lol.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I switched to hard in the second chapter because I'm just tearing through everything in normal with my party. For anyone just starting out, I wouldn't recommend leveling up your freelancer class on all characters to level 12 during the prologue. 🤣
But I have to admit, there is something incredibly satisfying about breaking the game.
Yeah thinking of Switching to hard too after the thief boss. It was over so quickly that it surprised me. Inwas expecting a bigger challenge. Body Slam is so good.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So what stuff does a Luck boost (via the Freelancer ability) improve?

The quality of foraged items? Increased probability for percentage chance-based attacks? I can't check right now.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen such obvious ways to make combat a breeze in a game since Trails of Cold Steel with its speed/impede nonsense.

A couple of the Ch 1 classes made it so I could literally kill bosses in 1 round with very little thinking involved at all....

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So what stuff does a Luck boost (via the Freelancer ability) improve?

The quality of foraged items? Increased probability for percentage chance-based attacks? I can't check right now.

Luck increases the chance of percent-based attacks/debuffs landing, as well as provides a flat increase on rare & common drop rates per person. So if you want to farm something, have a Freelancer buff luck on the whole party.

4x Freelancer luck buff + 4x Gambler passives for rare drop rate + 4x Lunar/Solar-Powered makes a 1% rare drop rate turn into a 77% drop rate. Yes, they're additive.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Luck increases the chance of percent-based attacks/debuffs landing, as well as provides a flat increase on rare & common drop rates per person. So if you want to farm something, have a Freelancer buff luck on the whole party.

4x Freelancer luck buff + 4x Gambler passives for rare drop rate + 4x Lunar/Solar-Powered makes a 1% rare drop rate turn into a 77% drop rate. Yes, they're additive.

That you're able to add numbers into some ridiculous heights is one thing i love from these games.

Oct 25, 2017
I think at this point I have seen every job in the game called OP in this thread.

Which just goes to show how fantastic and varied the game is really.

The only thing that is genuinely busted and might be bugged is one Beastmaster skill. Everything else follows an interesting difficulty curve with a bunch of mechanics powering the others and taking off exponentially, and the difficulty curve being very balanced around that. I've said it before, but the best comparison is Resonance of Fate's difficulty curve (except the difficulty curve here can be smoothed with really easy grinding).

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
no you can only farm them there are spots where the monster that will get lured by it's lure type also drops it. But I only know spots for beast, insect and devil lure lots of other ones I have no idea where to farm up.

*Cough* Fresh Fish is something you can get on the very first beach in the very first chapter *Cough*

I know it ... because of ... reasons.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
So im in the first dungeon, the house, and i have the ability to see how many chests are left in that floor. In the lower floor of the house it points to me missing 3 more chests but the place is pretty small anf i cant find anything.
Is there something im doing wrong or is there an ability to find hidden chests im missing?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
So im in the first dungeon, the house, and i have the ability to see how many chests are left in that floor. In the lower floor of the house it points to me missing 3 more chests but the place is pretty small anf i cant find anything.
Is there something im doing wrong or is there an ability to find hidden chests im missing?

You may need to try pushing up against walls, see if any are fake.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
You may need to try pushing up against walls, see if any are fake.
There was a fake one there but the room with the chest was visible at all times. Do you need to press something while pushing walls or only pushing that direction will suffice?

Edit
Pushed every wall in that floor and nothing, not even pressing A

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You guys saying all of this but I got to the third city and I was level 36 just because I was grinding out jobs. Just beat the boss of the chapter and now I'll probably go grind out the new jobs too.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Does it mean anything in the expeditions when it discovers an island or comes into contact with another player or is that just another way of saying you found nothing this time?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
There was a fake one there but the room with the chest was visible at all times. Do you need to press something while pushing walls or only pushing that direction will suffice?

Ah, guess you found what I was referring to.

Maybe you need to come down some other stairs to another part of the floor. I can't remember now.

You guys saying all of this but I got to the third city and I was level 36 just because I was grinding out jobs. Just beat the boss of the chapter and now I'll probably go grind out the new jobs too.

If you grind jobs on the starter beach, which is super quick, you get barely any actual exp. I just hit the third town at level 17, but have a bunch of jobs at max this way.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, guess you found what I was referring to.

Maybe you need to ocme down some other stairs to another part of the floor. I can't remember now.
Yeah just found theres another set of stairs in the above floor that tske you to those 3 chests. I suppose that happens to me for being impatient lol
Thanks for the help robin!

BentMyWookiee

Oct 27, 2017
Does this game have any relation to the previous titles? I played and beat Bravely Default 1, but never played Bravely Second. I think Bravely Second is a sequel to the first game, right?

Basically, I'm curious if Bravely Default 2 can be played without having to go through Bravely Second first? Is BD2 kind of like Final Fantasy in that it's a completely unrelated/standalone game that is only similar thematically? Or is it an actual sequel that takes place in the same world with familiar characters?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does this game have any relation to the previous titles? I played and beat Bravely Default 1, but never played Bravely Second. I think Bravely Second is a sequel to the first game, right?

Basically, I'm curious if Bravely Default 2 can be played without having to go through Bravely Second first? Is BD2 kind of like Final Fantasy in that it's a completely unrelated/standalone game that is only similar thematically? Or is it an actual sequel that takes place in the same world with familiar characters?

Yes, this one is set in a new world with new characters. No need to play Second.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah just found theres another set of stairs in the above floor that tske you to those 3 chests. I suppose that happens to me for being impatient lol
Thanks for the help robin!
That happens a lot in future dungeons just so you are aware, if you can't find all the chests on a floor it's usually because you need to go up to go back down again or vice versa

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you grind jobs on the starter beach, which is super quick, you get barely any actual exp. I just hit the third town at level 17, but have a bunch of jobs at max this way.
I'm grinding jobs at the first rare monster you can fight near the first town. I don't mind being overleveled actually. Kind of fun to just tear through everything, not have to worry about monsters being a bother unless I actually want to fight something.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
So how's everyone feeling now about the switch from round-based turns to individual turns? I know it was a very divisive decision before release and I'd say it seemed like most existing fans of the franchise weren't fond of the idea based off what I saw.

For me it's the absolute game changer I thought it would be. Entirely a personal taste thing for sure, but I find myself enjoying the standard enemy encounters a lot more this way in particular. In the first two games I eventually got worn down pretty badly by inputting all the turns at once, and I do know there were a lot of QoL options to simplify that process but it just never worked that well for me. I was never entirely sure that this was my issue with the first two games (I didn't dislike those games but I did sort of have to force myself through them after certain points), but after 15 hours in this game and enjoying every second of it (as well as loving Octopath Traveler's battle system) I'm starting to understand that I think I like this way a lot more.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So how's everyone feeling now about the switch from round-based turns to individual turns? I know it was a very divisive decision before release and I'd say it seemed like most existing fans of the franchise weren't fond of the idea based off what I saw.

For me it's the absolute game changer I thought it would be. Entirely a personal taste thing for sure, but I find myself enjoying the standard enemy encounters a lot more this way in particular. In the first two games I eventually got worn down pretty badly by inputting all the turns at once, and I do know there were a lot of QoL options to simplify that process but it just never worked that well for me. I was never entirely sure that this was my issue with the first two games (I didn't dislike those games but I did sort of have to force myself through them after certain points), but after 15 hours in this game and enjoying every second of it (as well as loving Octopath Traveler's battle system) I'm starting to understand that I think I like this way a lot more.

Totally agreed. Much prefer this system. It also lends itself to more reactivity and dynamic battles.

Andsello

Jul 31, 2020
I can't find the right class for Elvis.. I'am at the end of chapter 2 (before the final boss) and at the moment it is a red/black mage so he can cover all the magic weakness... the problem is that as soon as it runs out of MP it becomes useless.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find the right class for Elvis.. I'am at the end of chapter 2 (before the final boss) and at the moment it is a red/black mage so he can cover all the magic weakness... the problem is that as soon as it runs out of MP it becomes useless.

You can buy normal Ethers at that point. Also, Black Mage main has much better MP and MAtt than Red Mage main.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
Speaking of exploration, how should one be doing that? Do I need to head back to the first city and send a boat off, then put the game into sleep mode while the results screen is on? What's... what's the deal

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of exploration, how should one be doing that? Do I need to head back to the first city and send a boat off, then put the game into sleep mode while the results screen is on? What's... what's the deal

Every city has the boat lady in it. You start an expedition, press the home button to back out to the Switch menu and put the game in sleep mode with the game running in the background.

It won't run up your played time if that worries you.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Its definitely worth levelling beast master a bit to get the MP saver ability and Im sure I saw an ability on one of the chapter 2 jobs that gives you MP when you get hit, that might help.

I prefer red mage to black mage as a main tbh, both of Red Mage's specialties are amazing

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
i've been avoiding using large jp orbs because I don't want to overlevel stuff, especially early on when there's aren't many classes to go around
Would leveling tied to the class the character was at the moment I used the orb? Would it changed that much between level 5 to 10 ? I could always load an older save but I don't I'll break my progression for those 5 levels, would I?