• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
There's been a lot more JP previews than English ones, oddly. The JP site has tons more detail and screens for each of the jobs.

Some of the designs that I'm really digging:

www.jp.square-enix.com

薬師 | JOB | BRAVELY DEFAULT II (ブレイブリーデフォルト2) | SQUARE ENIX

アイテムを組み合わせることで様々な効果を得ることができるジョブ。
www.jp.square-enix.com

ジャッジメント | JOB | BRAVELY DEFAULT II (ブレイブリーデフォルト2) | SQUARE ENIX

攻守の整ったタンク役のジョブ。味方全体に障壁を張り、ダメージそのものを一度だけ無効化できる。
www.jp.square-enix.com

導師 | JOB | BRAVELY DEFAULT II (ブレイブリーデフォルト2) | SQUARE ENIX

精霊を呼び出し、支援させるジョブ。継続的な回復で戦場の危険を払う。

Need to see the full lineup as there's pretty significant differences in concepts between the characters. Elvis looks like his designs tend to be the ones closest to those of the enemy asterisk holders.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I complained so much about the battle system changes from the previous game on this forum. Its really dampening my excitement for the game in addition to it feeling like a "budget" release

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
That was such an odd trailer to put out this close to release , especially since they've already discussed the system quite a bit before. I'm still thrown that there's no indication of turn order.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
It seems almost everyone agrees that character models are shit. I hope devs will notice that before making their next game.

That said I'm craving turn based combat right now, so I'll likely buy it day 1.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
What a bizarre and awful trailer. It was just a terrible instruction video. One of the worst trailers I've seen for any game.

I really like the enemy models but damn those human characters are hideous.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I guess that very 3D CG-chic is a big look for games...a shame when stylized 3D can probably deliver some gorgeous results...

I wish SE kept on with looks similar to FFT's CG
c19757cd9eb169f5737c2a7f05776c2b.gif

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah I think the models are fine, but I've also been very careful about what I look at because I wanna go in pretty blind as I did with the first. I think some of my enjoyment of EL was ruined because I looked at everything I could find

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the new battle order, but the execution on it is lacking. And this extends to all areas of the game I played. Generally usability across the board is worse, which is so bizarre for a series known for its menu accessibility, snappiness, and multiple control schemes.

But I'm glad we're getting another one (with Revo!!), nonetheless. I'm afraid for the future of the series given the general internet reception up until this point.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Glad BD fans and JRPG fans are getting a high budget release on the most popular console around, because BD fans needed that win after supporting it on the 3DS against lot of headwinds

Personally though, I really just want Octopath 2

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris

Haven't got any problem with it either
I never understood how "characters have no feet" in Fire Emblem Awakening was such a big point of contention either.

Anyway publishers listen to feedback to some degree so if it's really doing the game a disservice they will try to fix it for the IP in the future

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it will come as a surprise that I don't have a problem with the character models in general, even if a few look a bit off.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Bravely Default 1, but the middle slogggggged.

I never played Bravely Default 2.

I really didn't like Octopath Traveler's bifurcated narrative even though I liked the gameplay, and never finished it.

I'm really not sure what to do here. I like the games when I play them, but the pacing has been horrendous. And these character models are... hard to describe.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
I guess that very 3D CG-chic is a big look for games...a shame when stylized 3D can probably deliver some gorgeous results...

I wish SE kept on with looks similar to FFT's CG
c19757cd9eb169f5737c2a7f05776c2b.gif
yeah I think this is what most people want, the artworks for the characters are so good that it's a shame they're not represented with the same proportions in-game

Oct 31, 2017
Anyways. On topic, I don't actually hate the character models. I think they're whatever, but Seth and Gloria in particular look good.

But I'm forever going to be upset that they couldn't even give this game an opening CG cutscene

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I liked Bravely Default 1, but the middle slogggggged.

I never played Bravely Default 2.

I really didn't like Octopath Traveler's bifurcated narrative even though I liked the gameplay, and never finished it.

I'm really not sure what to do here. I like the games when I play them, but the pacing has been horrendous. And these character models are... hard to describe.

It's been a while since I played them but I remember Bravely Second being better paced.

yeah I think this is what most people want, the artworks for the characters are so good that it's a shame they're not represented with the same proportions in-game

Those promo artworks were always the minority. The vast majority of the artwork for the series, including pretty much all of Yoshida's and Ikushima's art was with the Chibi proportions.

That just reminded me of the actual worst thing about Bravely Default 2; no artbook with the non-existent Collectors Edition. ;_;

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah I'm not convinced that this game will sell well at all.

I'm really sad. I want to see this series with a bigger budget. It's like Final Fantasy IX's weird cousin :(

Oct 31, 2017
I mean where's the hype

There's none

tbh

And the budget for this is low

People will say "oh the previous games didn't have high budgets either," but for a 3DS title they felt like some of the most high-budget JRPG's on the system. In comparison BDII feels low budget. Square Enix you can't make a company jump from portables to consoles and not give a substantial budget increase. I hate you.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm not convinced that this game will sell well at all.

I'm really sad. I want to see this series with a bigger budget. It's like Final Fantasy IX's weird cousin :(

This is probably fairly large budget as far as RPGs are concerned. Obviously not triple-A, but it is a large RPG adventure. RPGs aren't nearly as cheap as people seem to think they are. This is like the first time Square has thrown fully unique outfits in a 3D job system game outside of FFX-2, I think.

Oct 31, 2017
I just remembered how the 3DS games had those weird modes with the SUPER high quality, realistically-proportioned models.

UGHHHH THE POTENTIALLLLLL

Oct 31, 2017
This is probably fairly large budget as far as RPGs are concerned. Obviously not triple-A, but it is a large RPG adventure. RPGs aren't nearly as cheap as people seem to think they are. This is like the first time Square has thrown fully unique outfits in a 3D job system game outside of FFX-2, I think.

I mean the game doesn't even have any animated or CGI cutscenes, which is fairly common in this genre, for starters.

I wouldn't say the game looks "cheap," but it does look like they tried their best with the little they were given. I could see that they had their ambitions-- for instance, there's actual cutscenes in this game, but they look incredibly janky and awkward. But I can't blame them.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I mean where's the hype

There's none

tbh

And the budget for this is low

People will say "oh the previous games didn't have high budgets either," but for a 3DS title they felt like some of the most high-budget JRPG's on the system. In comparison BDII feels low budget. Square Enix you can't make a company jump from portables to consoles and not give a substantial budget increase. I hate you.

I get it I too wish Square gave Bravely a bigger budget and attention as they do with their bigger titles, but it is what it is. At the end of the day this is AA title and Square gives games like those a minimum budget. Just be happy they didn't give Bravely a Tokyo RPG Factory budget. I have faith in this title for the sole fact that rpgs do well on the switch.

I expect the game to do good enough for an AA title which means expectations shouldn't be ridiculous.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just don't get why changed what worked well. The character models were fine before, the battle order was amazing before, why make it worse or change what's not broken?

You bring Revo back but break the art and battle system that was already amazing

My perfect new bravely would look like this: bravely second, with new story, characters, and Revo back, and sure it will automatically look better with better hardware

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like its lost some of the charm the original 2 games had. Like did they replace the character designers for this one? I dunno, it just feels like its missing something special that the others had. None of the main cast seem all that appealing to me. Even the jobs seem to be a lil lack luster.

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get why changed what worked well. The character models were fine before, the battle order was amazing before, why make it worse or change what's not broken?

You bring Revo back but break the art and battle system that was already amazing

My perfect new bravely would look like this: bravely second, with new story, characters, and Revo back, and sure it will automatically look better with better hardware

What changed about the character models before? I don't get what people see that is totally different, other than that they no longer all have the same shape so they could cheaply reuse outfit designs across the party. Elvis (the black mage asterisk) looks pretty similar to the black mage asterisk from BD1.

I just really don't get why people think this

looks worse than this:

Are these rose tinted goggles? The benefit of shoving something through a super low resolution screen? Female party member in the Salve Maker outfit... and people are seriously arguing that it is the BD2 version that looks low budget?

Last edited:

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I feel like its lost some of the charm the original 2 games had. Like did they replace the character designers for this one? I dunno, it just feels like its missing something special that the others had. None of the main cast seem all that appealing to me. Even the jobs seem to be a lil lack luster.
The art style and UI design look strange and out of place in an HD console. It'd look fine in a 240p 3DS screen.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
What changed about the character models before? I don't get what people see that is totally different, other than that they no longer all have the same shape so they could cheaply reuse outfit designs across the party. Elvis (the black mage asterisk) looks pretty similar to the black mage asterisk from BD1.

looks worse than this:

Are these rose tinted goggles? The benefit of shoving something through a super low resolution screen? Female party member in the Salve Maker outfit... and people are seriously arguing that it is the BD2 version that looks low budget?

I'm in the same boat just that Bravely Default 2 looks better and has a higher quality. The jobs also look significantly better and detailed. Also the cast members all have distinctive body shapes unlike the previous games.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

looks worse than this:

I mainly care about the combat

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

I get not liking the new battle system (although I think its better now) but its a sequel. Why do things the same? Game still looks great. If anything I think its the skin shaders that make it look a little off and thats about it. Gives me KH3 beta vibes.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the hate for the models. I really like how they look, especially with the different jobs

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

looks worse than this:

Ditto. Some of the opinions here are just baffling to me, as I honestly don't see a massive difference in character art/model quality between this game and the 3DS games other than 240p-->HD. But eh.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

looks worse than this:

This is how the characters look during what is supposed to be an engaging conversation. No charm, no emotions whatsoever. They're just filled with void, with dead eyes gazing into existential dread.

EtkW42SVIAEzkGn

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
It's basically Tales level writing, that's to say it has some positives but it's not great by any means.

I don't think this is a good comparison, even though I get what you mean.

Tales of satisfies totally different audience. Bravely is more of a classic fantasy story, with princesses and castles and knights... etc. Tales is more of a battle shounen story.

Is the scriptwriting good? Would it be appreciated by an older audience?

I want to be honest and say that the story is not why you play a Bravely Default game. Gameplay mechanics (risk/reward system), job system, Revo music and a fine art-style are the highlights of this series.

Story/characters are not bad by any means, but don't expect too much.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Question for someone not super familiar with the series. I played the demo and liked it well enough, but don't Default and Brave mechanics basically encourage long drawn out battles? I didn't have much of a problem with it since I played the demo only up until that Bard boss but I could see that getting old. I also wouldn't be surprised if I was just playing the game wrong either.