NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Hence why he wanted book 5 to have a satisfying ending. Great choice on his part imo. In a similar vain I'm glad I only started Wheel of TIme when book 11 (Knife of Dreams) was already released...

I'm glad I started reading it when it was finished Lol.

Also, Hi. I'm new here. I've read almost all of the cosmere, bar Stormlight. And I'm honestly wary considering the time it will take for it to be finished.

Who am I kidding, I'm still waiting for DoS, I can wait for Stormlight.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad I started reading it when it was finished Lol.

Also, Hi. I'm new here. I've read almost all of the cosmere, bar Stormlight. And I'm honestly wary considering the time it will take for it to be finished.

Who am I kidding, I'm still waiting for DoS, I can wait for Stormlight.
I guess on the bright side, for all intents and purposes SA is two 5 book series, so the first series will be done by 2024 if that helps. :D

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I guess on the bright side, for all intents and purposes SA is two 5 book series, so the first series will be done by 2024 if that helps. :D

Yeah. That was my reasoning for leaving SA till the end of my Cosmere first read.

If I read it last, there will be less time between RoW and release.

Porblem is... I read through the rest of the Cosmere in two months, so, SA5 is still far off.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It typically takes 24 months after the author submits the book to publication. Sanderson wanted to stretch it closer to normal because his employees would overwork themselves.
It does? Damn I had no idea. I thought that with the book being done after all the drafts and reviews, they just print it and done. There you go.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
The first written update for The Lost Metal is out, and I think this is the first confirmation that Stormlight 6 is aiming for 2028.

I am feeling very existential at the prospect of Stormlight 10 releasing in 2040. 19.5 years...that's, like, an entire MCU and a half from now...
This also assumes he sticks to that. He already changed the timescale between Stormlight releases because they took a lot out of him IIRC. Still, with it being two arcs with a hopefully satisfactory ending each, the wait should sting less.

Last edited:

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
8x7nfxfr7wv61.png

from reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/brandonsan..._medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf&utm_term=link

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Why is publication of W&W4 so far away?
The other thing that I can think of besides the lead times mentioned above is that Tor is publishing Alcatraz 6 (which has actually been finished for a while now) in mid-2022, with a planned rerelease of the first 5 books in paperback leading up to its release. Different audiences and imprints, but maybe they want to spread out their Sanderson releases.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
This also assumes he sticks to that. He already changed the timescale between Stormlight releases because they took a lot out of him IIRC. Still, with it being two arcs with a hopefully satisfactory ending each, the wait should sting less.
I am grateful that Sanderson, for the most part, makes an effort to avoid cliffhangers and have an actual resolution for each book too. It is less about the wait itself and more about the abstract, mild terror of any 20+ year commitment, and including Dragonsteel/Mistborn 4, possibly 30+ years. It's real midlife crisis material!

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I am grateful that Sanderson, for the most part, makes an effort to avoid cliffhangers and have an actual resolution for each book too. It is less about the wait itself and more about the abstract, mild terror of any 20+ year commitment, and including Dragonsteel/Mistborn 4, possibly 30+ years. It's real midlife crisis material!

Look at it from the bright side. Plenty of time for rereads.

arkon

Nov 6, 2017
True enough. I'm accustomed to that feeling because I've thought about that since I first learned of his plans for the Cosmere, which I think was for around 36 books at the time and six had been released, one of which had been unplanned and eventually became its own series 😆

Oct 25, 2017

That's kind of my thoughts but this is also a big reason I tried to avoid the fantasy genre for so long. And now I'm in..... so I guess I better learn to enjoy waiting especially since I really do not care about Skyward.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
So I just finished the firts Mistborn trilogy
I am devastated, I want to read more but I just loved Elend and Vin so much...

I don't know if I should take a rest from reading waiting for Row in Paperback edition or going to 2 era of Mistborn..
[\SPOILER]

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think once book 4 of Skyward is closer to release I'll binge the first 3. I'll read anything he does but I have enough books to read before starting another ongoing series that's almost finished.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely in for Book 3 of Skyward. I was mixed on the series at first, but after reading the second I've gotten comfortable with the series and I'm gonna see it through to the end. Comfy sci-fi space battles ahoy.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
I love Skyward, I'd place it above a bunch of Cosmere books tbh. This shit is my jam.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Trying not to get too hyped for tomorrow's announcement
Yeah, the "it is not what you're thinking... no, it's not that either" is vague enough of a tease to set my brain racing.

It feels to me like it has to be related to video games or screen adaptation, since those are two categories that Brandon talked about on streams all last year, with nothing really surfacing. But they almost seem too straightforward compared to how he is describing the announcement...

Editing in: I see on Reddit that he describes it as "Announcement two is still going to, I think, be something of a surprise to most of you--but as I've said, more in a, "Uh, what?" sort of way than anything else. It's cool, don't get me wrong, but it's also something I don't expect my core audience to care much about other than to think it's interesting." Maybe I can rest easy after all.

Stormlight coloring book incoming?

Last edited:

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
It felt like his RAFO mentality saying those things to me :)

I cant wait until he starts doing full tours again.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yeah, the "it is not what you're thinking... no, it's not that either" is vague enough of a tease to set my brain racing.

It feels to me like it has to be related to video games or screen adaptation, since those are two categories that Brandon talked about on streams all last year, with nothing really surfacing. But they almost seem too straightforward compared to how he is describing the announcement...

Editing in: I see on Reddit that he describes it as "Announcement two is still going to, I think, be something of a surprise to most of you--but as I've said, more in a, "Uh, what?" sort of way than anything else. It's cool, don't get me wrong, but it's also something I don't expect my core audience to care much about other than to think it's interesting." Maybe I can rest easy after all.

Stormlight coloring book incoming?

🤔

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
If there is a half decent implementation of pushing and pulling, Mistborn Fortnite could be very fun! If it's just a skin, then meh.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I guess he has a good working relationship with Epic, he did write the Infinity Blade novellas.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not in a million years would I have guessed that, haha. Still probably won't play Fortnite though >_>

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never would have guessed this as well, but also disappointing. Alien didn't get me to play Fortnite, and neither will this.