• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Awesome! I enjoy Sanderson's work. Would be so cool.

However...

I'd rather have The First Law video game adaptation, in terms of my personal fantasy novel turned video game wishlist.

Joe Abercrombie is an avid video game fan that often details and records his latest playthroughs on his blogs. He'd be perfect and probably also highly willing to collaborate.

g0kmxqwyq0q11.jpg

Imagine playing Logen Ninefingers, or an Eater, or Monza Murcatto. Sigh, a pipe-dream...

Another role-playing game crack at Game of Thrones would be epic, too.

TIP: Logen can channel his rage into short bursts of invincibility and super-strength. Build up your Bloody Nine meter and press X to trigger!

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why not both? Lol Gonna do Stormlight first tho. I want full, head-on Sanderson.

I'd go Mistborn 1-3, Stormlight 1, Warbreaker, Stormlight 2 & 3, Mistborn 4-6.

They all take place in the same universe (called the Cosmere), but in different solar systems.

Warbreaker between Stormlight 1 and 2 is really important, just trust me. Starting off with the first Mistborn trilogy will ensure that you don't miss little clues and easter eggs in Stormlight.

Elantris is also within the Cosmere, but it's his first book with fairly minimal (but not none!) connection to Stormlight and Mistborn at the moment. So, what order you decide to read it is not as important as the above order starting with the first Mistborn trilogy.

Finally, there are some short novellas that cover other Cosmere worlds that you can read after the major books listed above.

It sounds like a lot but you will get really hooked really quick! You can knock it out even faster if you like Audible. It's great during longer drives and on flights. Enjoy your first foray into the Cosmere!

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

They all take place in the same universe (called the Cosmere), but in different solar systems.

Warbreaker between Stormlight 1 and 2 is really important, just trust me. Starting off with the first Mistborn trilogy will ensure that you don't miss little clues and easter eggs in Stormlight.

Elantris is also within the Cosmere, but it's his first book with fairly minimal (but not none!) connection to Stormlight and Mistborn at the moment. So, what order you decide to read it is not as important as the above order starting with the first Mistborn trilogy.

Finally, there are some short novellas that cover other Cosmere worlds that you can read after the major books listed above.

It sounds like a lot but you will get really hooked really quick! You can knock it out even faster if you like Audible. It's great during longer drives and on flights. Enjoy your first foray into the Cosmere!
Sanderson is that you?

Dec 15, 2017

That's actually a great suggested order. I love it!

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This thread reminded me that I've been meaning to read Mistborn for years now, so I just bought the boxed trilogy on Amazon. Should be here on Sunday, and I'm excited to get started.
Same here!!

But mine arrives Monday! Also got the audible but ain't nothin like having the fresh book smell in your hands.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
jesus, does sanderson hate rithmatist or what?
seems like he's always finding a reason to skip rithmatist 2 and do something else instead >_<

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't found Lynch's books anywhere, I have wanted to read something from him for the longest time! I guess I could by them digitally, but I don't like to pay for digital books (feels so silly when you could have beautiful, good smelling, warm to touch books)...

This we can agree with!

By the way, do we have a literary (or mayhaps a fantasy or spefi topic even) discussion on ERA? I think it could be quite interesting!

I am going to suggest something that might at first disgust you, but hear me out:
Audiobook version of gentleman bastards is actually good, probably the best narration out there of any fantasy book, in fact both the book and the narrator is so great that it's worth it, and yes I know it's nothing like reading it but still it's worth it.
Just get a free audible trial for the first one: The Lies of Locke Lamora and give it a chance.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Would make a lot of sense, he basically is on a video game writing level only he sticks his endings well whereas its a video game industry trait that stories fall to shit at the ending.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
jesus, does sanderson hate rithmatist or what?
seems like he's always finding a reason to skip rithmatist 2 and do something else instead >_<

He just writes what he's got a feeling for. Which is why he does nutty things like Wax and Wayne 2 & 3 back to back, releasing within like 3 or 4 months from each other and now Skyward 1 and 2 back to back. I also want to say he did all 4 Reckoners books within like 2 or 3 years? He also started but then scrapped another Reckoners-related thing within a year of the 4th one releasing.

Like sometimes he just... doesn't feel the vibe of certain series even if he's got general plot worked out and sometimes a series is just buzzing around in his head so much that he writes enough for multiple books.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Would make a lot of sense, he basically is on a video game writing level only he sticks his endings well whereas its a video game industry trait that stories fall to shit at the ending.
This is definitely factual. Just take a look at all the big sci fi game franchises lately. (Looking at you ME, Destiny, and a few others)

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
We all have that one book series we'd like to see in Video Game form. There are so so many. Give me an RPG Culture Story where you can play as an SC Agent, A Contact Agent, A Drone or a Ship Mind and I would die happy. I have no earthly clue how that would work so maybe just as an SC Agent. That said I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 and am happy with whatever CD Projekt Red wants to work on in the future.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
But Hobb doesn't kill main characters just to shock people, it is something Martin does a lot more than should be necessary. You don't have to be so brutish with your writing, I think Martin lacks style.

Hobb on the other hand, she makes the misery and bleakness something to draw strength from. Something to be proud of.

Fitz is my favourite protagonist of all time, in any media. He is someone I can really relate with, for various reasons. He is a damn idiot, stubborn and naive, but that makes him more human than most of the other characters in fantasy.

Oh yes, it is so sad :(

I haven't found Lynch's books anywhere, I have wanted to read something from him for the longest time! I guess I could by them digitally, but I don't like to pay for digital books (feels so silly when you could have beautiful, good smelling, warm to touch books)...

This we can agree with!

By the way, do we have a literary (or mayhaps a fantasy or spefi topic even) discussion on ERA? I think it could be quite interesting!

I have to add that I am a huge fan of Tolkien way of writing fantasy, good guys are good and bad guys are bad. Real life is full of insufferable cunts (even those who you might call your friend tend to be twats in one way or another) and most of the time you can't tell good guys from the bad guys. So I might be a little biased against certain way of writing fantasy...

Yeah, I prefer a more realistic fantasy myself, full of cunts like real life. But I love Tolkien as well!

Regarding a place to discuss fantasy there was! On the Etcetera side, a montly club thread where we discuss mainly fantasy.

I know the author of the threads wanted to take a break and I haven't visited in a while so I'm not sure if is still going. I normally wait untill I read 3-4 books until I go there to review them

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I find it so odd that people are pimping out their favorite series with little consideration as to how they would translate to video games. First Law and ASoIaF, for example, are much better suited to Film and TV as it fits their nature, themes, and politics. There's just not a lot there to actually *do* in a game (which is why GoT games thus far are political board games and PnC adventures).

Sanderson's works aren't nearly as heavy with character drama and internal politics. They're not statements on the genre or subversions of it. They're essentially solid stories that surround extensive technical magic (combat) systems. That itself lends really well to becoming a game as the groundwork for systems (i.e. what the player would actually be doing) is already there.

The quality of the writing in the novels, whether you're talking about content, audience focus (demographic), prose, use of tropes, or whatever else, doesn't *actually* matter nearly as much. It's rare that any dev uses the writer of the IP for the story in the game and none of those things will actually come through all that well when playing the game. Even when you're talking about especially lauded games for their story (TLoU, Life is Strange, etc..), in order for those stories to be effective they have to be constructed in such a way that makes sense for the game. And a novelist is not necessarily going to be great at that. Its the same reason why you rarely, if ever, see an author as the screenwriter for TV/Film adaptations. Techniques that work or are preferred in one medium do not usually translate well in another.

Rothfuss already had every book written. The likely cause of the wait for the last book is extensive editing and rewrites from someone who's probably a bit too much of a perfectionist for his own good. He really wants to stick the landing and I hope he does but I think he's probably being a bit too hard on himself with writing and revisions on the final book.

I don't really believe Rothfuss had the trilogy writen....

His first book was great, because he spent all his life writing it, but his second one, specially the last third, was pretty underwhelming

I have zero faith for the last one

Regarding your first point is not really adapting those series, but making stories on those worlds, ala Witcher 3

Oct 28, 2017
Abercrombie writes edgy teen fantasy, quite like Martin. Violence, bleakness, no fun in sight. Only misery.

Sanderson was chosen to write the ending to Wheel of Time. A series that is one of the brightest examples of fantasy there is.

I had never even heard of Abercrombie until I read his books when I foung them in my local library. I am a nerd who reads every fucking fantasy book a library had. When I was younger, I visited libraries an hour away to loan books to read (lived in a small county so library was small, visited all around my area to find something to read). A is not that famous.

Just like Martin wouldn't be widely known without the TV series. If you read his books you see how thin the substance there is, under all the edgy fuckery.

And Robin Hobb is one of the best fantasy authors alive. Farseer trilogy is one of the most touching pieces of literary I've ever read. She almost achieves Waltari-levels of grandeur.

But yeah, we need more proper fantasy worlds to be made into RPG games.

EDIT. took away a slight rant about Martin. I really don't like his books.

Maybe the GOT show is guilty of what you accuse Martin of, edgy violence for its own sake, that's why I stopped watching. But I don't think you're doing Martin as an author justice.
Yes, there's darkness and violence (and at times he overdoes it), but that's not why I enjoyed the books. I love them because they're also full of empathy, hope and humanity. And because of all the grimdark depressive stuff, in contrast the positive things happening resonate a lot more with me than in other fantasy series. The fist pumping moments feel real, earned and straight up euphoria-inducing (while in a lot of fantasy, where the heroes just win by default, I can't really enjoy it. It feels too easy).

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Regarding your first point is not really adapting those series, but making stories on those worlds, ala Witcher 3

It's the same problem. You make a story in those worlds and it just ends up being pretty generic fantasy because there's nothing in them that makes them particularly unique mechanically for gameplay purposes. The Witcher works as a game and doesn't come off as generic because of The Witcher powers and their strange positioning socially. First Law and GoT are intentionally low magic and focus primarily on characters who aren't characterized by magic. If you make a game that utilizes the magic that exists in those worlds for gameplay purposes, it loses the feel of the books and misses the point. So they're just not suitable for video game adaptation. They *can* work as PnC adventures but that's not really what most people have in mind when discussing an adaptation. Especially one by CDPR.

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
I can understand the worry, but 3 Things to consider:

- He has several other Fantasy series that take place in the Cosmere, so if you end up really liking his style of fantasy there is more to enjoy

- Apparently the Stormlight Archive will in fact be 2 separate "sagas" with the first ending at book 5, so it's likely you'll get a lot of closure from there, with the second saga having a new set of characters

- Sanderson writes like crazy. In between Stormlight books he puts out others usually at least once a year, and 3 and a halfish years per book is pretty crazy when you consider that plus their size.
I just checked and there are only three series from him here:

Elantris
Mistborn
Alcatraz

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Scott Lynch is also a close contender. Lamora 4 is still nowhere in sight.
He has serious mental issues that are preventing him from working on it. He's also pretty open about them so I can't really fault him like Martin or Rothfuss. Or Butcher who just missed his deadline on Peace Talks.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He has serious mental issues that are preventing him from working on it. He's also pretty open about them so I can't really fault him like Martin or Rothfuss. Or Butcher who just missed his deadline on Peace Talks.
Man was Butcher new book series disappointing, he needs to drop it like a bad egg.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

And even if Lynch never does a 4th book the series would stand on its own as a trilogy just fine. The ending in the third book doesn't cry for continuation.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
It's the same problem. You make a story in those worlds and it just ends up being pretty generic fantasy because there's nothing in them that makes them particularly unique mechanically for gameplay purposes. The Witcher works as a game and doesn't come off as generic because of The Witcher powers and their strange positioning socially. First Law and GoT are intentionally low magic and focus primarily on characters who aren't characterized by magic. If you make a game that utilizes the magic that exists in those worlds for gameplay purposes, it loses the feel of the books and misses the point. So they're just not suitable for video game adaptation. They *can* work as PnC adventures but that's not really what most people have in mind when discussing an adaptation. Especially one by CDPR.

Yeah, man, you make good points. Tbh when an adaptation of any kind is coming I'm just happy for the author, that he gets to cash in, more than anything, and that more people gets to read the books, because they can't really deliver most of the times..

I loved the books by Lev Grossman but the tv show (The Magicians) doesn't really make it justice, as an example...but I'm happy for him, I'm not a hater of the show

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, man, you make good points. Tbh when an adaptation of any kind is coming I'm just happy for the author, that he gets to cash in, more than anything, and that more people gets to read the books, because they can't really deliver most of the times..

I loved the books by Lev Grossman but the tv show (The Magicians) doesn't really make it justice, as an example...but I'm happy for him, I'm not a hater of the show

Oh of course. I'm not suggesting that anyone should hate the idea of video game adaptations for books. I'm just saying that some of the series being mentioned aren't taking into account how well such an adaptation can be done within specific sub genre's of gaming because all they're thinking of is "I really love these books." One should hope not just for an adaptation but a appropriate/good adaptation that does the source material justice.

The Magicians was always going to be a difficult adaptation because the source material is already quite polarizing. When nearly the entire cast of characters are awful people (intentionally), it can really be difficult to bring to other mediums where those lines aren't really pushed.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I instantly forgot almost everything about it when I read it.

On the other hand, I really really liked Codex Alera. Magnificent buildup to the truly epic ending.

Truly one of his best. Loved/love that series and its in my top five for sure, at least for me.

I mean the best part of all of it is that he tells a full story, with great characters, interesting set pieces, along with well constructed growth and it will always be funny. That the books was born from a bet to combine pokémon and epic fantasy.

Then he went and knocked it out of the park.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Santa Albertina
Alcatraz is not part of the cosmere.

There is also Warbreaker, as well as the white sands graphic novels. Also an assortment of short stories, which has some of his best stuff.

https://brandonsanderson.com/cosmere/
A don't think these were launched here but I will try to check.

Thanks.

Then go with the Mistborn trilogy
Thanks I will buy them... well at least the first book because you never know if you will like or not.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want an equal comparison, Sanderson should sell his rights to some unknown polish indie team for an measly sum.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, because everyone knows him and his work and he is not meeting companies to get his work adapted; nor is he offering CDPR to use his material for free.

He's fielded discussions for the rights to his series for years. DMG just bought the film rights for his entire Cosmere works (at least 10 series, two of which will consist of 10 or more books by completion) in 2016 with a minimum guarantee AND backend percentage. He's sold over 7 million copies of his books worldwide as of 2015 and has since published 5 or 6 more books, including Arcanum Unbounded and Oathbringer which sold extremely well as they relate to his largest series. He's teaches Contemporary Writing at BYU once a year and can count a few successful authors among his students including Brian Mclellan (The Powder Mage series) and Brent Weeks (Night Angel and Lightbringer series).

He's one of the biggest contemporary Fantasy writers in the world right now. He's not looking for attention.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
He's fielded discussions for the rights to his series for years. DMG just bought the film rights for his entire Cosmere works (at least 10 series, two of which will consist of 10 or more books by completion) in 2016 with a minimum guarantee AND backend percentage. He's sold over 7 million copies of his books worldwide as of 2015 and has since published 5 or 6 more books, including Arcanum Unbounded and Oathbringer which sold extremely well as they relate to his largest series. He's teaches Contemporary Writing at BYU once a year and can count a few successful authors among his students including Brian Mclellan (The Powder Mage series) and Brent Weeks (Night Angel and Lightbringer series).

He's one of the biggest contemporary Fantasy writers in the world right now. He's not looking for attention.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I see you went to great lengths to summarize Mr. Sanderson's accomplishments to prove a point that was never contested.

Please answer me this...

Is bringing attention to oneself the same thing as seeking attention?

Isn't it possible that even when you do not want attention, it is something that you can get anyway?

What are your thoughts on this?