• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thargas

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, some people have really gone off the deep end in their hatred for businesses and corporations.

Mistborn games sound awesome, even though I would prefer Stormlight Archive even more.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
When reading Mistborn I've often thought that the systems in it would make for an absolutely fantastic computer RPG.
I read a lot of fantasy, and even some very good works often seem like they would be hard to adapt or turn into pretty boring/derivative games -- because what makes them so good are characters and storytelling.

Mistborn is different (not that it has bad characters or storytelling of course!) in that the foundational (meta-)physics of the world are set up so that it should be possible to derive highly innovative, balanced gameplay systems from them. I'd love to see it.

Nov 13, 2017
I'd actually buy a console if they competently adapted one of his worlds. Sanderson is one of the best authors in the fantasy genre imo, and probably the best when it comes to his work translating to games, which also have more bombastic and on-the-surface stories as compared to contemplative ones.

Deleted member 1759

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
A Mistborn or Stormlight Archive game would be awesome. I didn't know I wanted this so bad.

Also:
4b232c76-dac2-47ba-89l2eo7.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9lfsew/brandon_sanderson_famous_fantasy_writer_is/e7774ks/

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
I mean he mentions CDPR as they treated the Witcher series so well and promoted that world.

There could be other developers who could also step up to the plate and give either Mistborn/Stormlight worlds a great reputation on the gaming scene.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
He is stupid. As simple as that. Giving money to a corporation like that. Makes me sick...
Not sure if he's the one I'd call stupid. He gives a very good reason why he would give it away for free. It's in the OP and it's not a lot of text to read (hint: it's in the third paragraph).

You'd have to deliberately try to misunderstand what he wrote to come to the conclusions you did.
I mean he mentions CDPR as they treated the Witcher series so well and promoted that world.

There could be other developers who could also step up to the plate and give either Mistborn/Stormlight worlds a great reputation on the gaming scene.
Of course. This is just CDPR heavy because the Reddit thread where he posted this reply was about the CDPR/Sapkowski thing. He also got mentioned before he replied. Here's the full "conversation":
https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/com...ting_sued_by_the_author_of/e743lm3/?context=3

kitsuneyo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I think the author is going to regret his post, because it comes across as a cry for attention and it can't possibly go anywhere. What we're left with is the knowledge that he doesn't value himself or his work nearly enough.

(Edited, removed 'desperate')

Last edited:

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
We need CDPR on The Last Malkieri King, aka Lan Mandragoran from the Wheel of Time before Mistborn. Imagine a Witcher Style game with him in the Blightlands along with the Northern Countries of the Westland, and later on Moraine joins the fray.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't read Mistborn, but I've read Stormlight, and it's probably my favorite series.

It must feel great to be an author of a series you poured your heart into, and then have something big come out of it like a movie/TV series/video game.

Bricks

"This guy are sick"
Nov 6, 2017
The First Law is... The best fantasy series nobody has read. I honestly don't know anybody else who has heard of it. I love the mastery of leaning on every fantasy trope, while subverting them all. It's also amazing how every character in the story is such a flawed piece of shit, that the crippled torturer is the most likeable, almost-good character.

I'd love to see a big-budget HBO-style TV production of the series.

Really? I could understand if you talked of something like, say, R. Scott Bakker's books, but I get the impression that Abercrombie is actually one of the most famous modern fantasy writers out there. Obviously, like most authors in the genre, he's not 'mainstream', but if I had to do a ranking, it would be like:

Martin

Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Sanderson, maybe Jemisin

The rest (to be clear, I don't put them all at the same level)

Needless to say, I could be way wrong.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Imagine fighting a Chasmfiend as Kaladin! Would be a dream come true.

Can't wait for book 4 of Stormlight Archive.

I haven't started the Mistborn series, still have to go through Oathbringer.

He is stupid. As simple as that. Giving money to a corporation like that. Makes me sick...

Yeah nope, sure missing on the royalties would suck, but what CDPR managed to do for Sapkowskie was incredible, practically no one had heard of the Witcher series except for a minority of High fantasy readers, he's more than tripled his book sales and he still got rights over TV and movie licenses.

If CDPR adapts Stormlight Archive and it becomes even more popular then so be it.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm trying to understand if watching people getting their panties in a knot over an author throwing in a joke as a figure of speech ("I would give them the rights for free" probably meant as "Of course I'd be very eager to work with them") qualifies more as hilarious or baffling.
The gratuitous indignation is a sight to behold.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I like Sanderson but I think this would set a bad precedent, his works are way more than success that the Witcher books were so he can probably get away with no royalties. Less popular authors would need payment more than Sanderson.

arit

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at how the first Mistborn game turned out, he should be more inclined to taking the lump sum.

Nov 4, 2017
Really? I could understand if you talked of something like, say, R. Scott Bakker's books, but I get the impression that Abercrombie is actually one of the most famous modern fantasy writers out there. Obviously, like most authors in the genre, he's not 'mainstream', but if I had to do a ranking, it would be like:

Martin

Abercrombie, Rothfuss, Sanderson, maybe Jemisin

The rest (to be clear, I don't put them all at the same level)

Needless to say, I could be way wrong.
*Shrug* Could be a regional thing? I'm in Australia, and the only person I know who has read The First Law is the person who recommended it to me. Fantasy doesn't seem to be that big here (though it's more popular than it used to be). I've met more people who have read Robin Hobb than the authors you mentioned, but she seems to get a lot of shelf space/promotion here.

Gonna shamelessly plug an awesome Aussie fantasy author; Ian Irvine. Anybody who hasn't read The View from the Mirror Quartet should check it out. His other stuff isn't quite as good, but TVFTM is one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read mistborn yet, but i've read all 3 books of the stormlight archive so far... an RPG game would be great!

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Not sure if he's the one I'd call stupid. He gives a very good reason why he would give it away for free. It's in the OP and it's not a lot of text to read (hint: it's in the third paragraph).

You'd have to deliberately try to misunderstand what he wrote to come to the conclusions you did.

Stop assuming we misunderstood. We read as well as you did and I stand by what I said. I will go even further : this is beyond stupidity ! Why should he sacrifice money ? He doesn't need to. He can STILL be paid what he deserved and get the huge cultural impact. We're talking about more than 25 million games sold for the Witcher franchise here. What the hell is 16 million$ when CDPR is making so much money ?

But the worst part here is not even the fact Sanderson is stupidly ready to give up money. The WORST is that his stance he's going against the fight of writers/creators are facing everyday to get a fair recognition for their work. His stance is not helping at all ! Why CDPR would now bother paying fair money to writers if some of them are stupid enough to give up their rights for free ? This is beyond stupidity !

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Stop assuming we misunderstood. We read as well as you did and I stand by what I said. I will go even further : this is beyond stupidity ! Why should he sacrifice money ? He doesn't need to. He can STILL be paid what he deserved and get the huge cultural impact. We're talking about more than 25 million games sold for the Witcher franchise here. What the hell is 16 million$ when CDPR is making so much money ?

But the worst part here is not even the fact Sanderson is stupidly ready to give up money. The WORST is that his stance he's going against the fight of writers/creators are facing everyday to get a fair recognition for their work. His stance is not helping at all ! Why CDPR would now bother paying fair money to writers if some of them are stupid enough to give up their rights for free ? This is beyond stupidity !
Are you upset

Oct 26, 2017
I would LOVE a Mistborn game, though honestly I'm not sure I'd give it to CDPR. I don't know if they could get the traversal right. I'm sure they would nail the story and feel though.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit.... I'm in the middle of the the second book of the trilogy (Mistborn) and it's whole heartedly screaming to be adapted to a video game... And if anyone could do it, I would think CDPR would knock it out of the park. However, a part of me thinks From Software, Platinum, or some other Japanese dev should have a crack at it instead... starting to brain storm now.

Last edited:

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
I would LOVE a Mistborn game, though honestly I'm not sure I'd give it to CDPR. I don't know if they could get the traversal right. I'm sure they would nail the story and feel though.

I think Mistborne traversal would have to be done very similar to Gravity Rush.
I'm not that fond of TW3 as many either but at least they wouldn't cram a million microtransactions into the game.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe

jfc chill, dude.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I mean I'd love a CDPR Mistborn game for sure. But at least get paid for your IP, even if the book sales will go up because of the game adaptation.

Jun 21, 2018
Oh shit.... I'm in the middle of the the second book of the trilogy (Mistborn) and it's whole heartedly screaming to be adapted to a video game... And if anyone could do it, I would think CDPR would knock it out of the park. However, a part of me thinks From Software, Platinum, or some other Japanese dev should have a crack at it instead... starting to brain storm now.
Oh man, just wait for the third book ending. Sanderson's ending are awesome!

Deleted member 16849

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mistborn series has the most unique Magic systems i have read in a book. I actually want to see the series adaptated to something on screen because I want to see what the world of the Final Empire looks like with ash constantly falling from the sky and with no real plant life as we are used to.

Civy

Dec 25, 2017
Whilst Abercrombie is good, I would love an adaption of Matthew Stover's 'Acts of Caine' and think it would transfer to the medium whilst being different enough to stand apart from CDPR's previous works.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Some are reading it too literally I think. He's talking about the effectiveness and impact a great video game made by CDPR could be for his own works - and to emphasise that point - he's saying the impact could be so large that he wouldn't even require payment for the rights directly if necessary - because he would be getting sufficient return on it by the production of the video game alone.

Yes, he could ask for money, and in reality - he probably would. But if it came down to it, money in exchange for the rights wouldn't be a deal breaker. Also, this attempt to burden individuals with the troubles of others is horrible. He has no responsibility to other authors, he has responsibility for himself and to get the most out of his own product, and if he felt the best way to do that was to give the rights away for production of a video game, then that's perfectly fine and not at all something he should feel guilty about.

Bricks

"This guy are sick"
Nov 6, 2017
*Shrug* Could be a regional thing? I'm in Australia, and the only person I know who has read The First Law is the person who recommended it to me. Fantasy doesn't seem to be that big here (though it's more popular than it used to be). I've met more people who have read Robin Hobb than the authors you mentioned, but she seems to get a lot of shelf space/promotion here.

Gonna shamelessly plug an awesome Aussie fantasy author; Ian Irvine. Anybody who hasn't read The View from the Mirror Quartet should check it out. His other stuff isn't quite as good, but TVFTM is one of the best fantasy series I've ever read.

I KNEW I was forgetting someone. Yeah, she's pretty big too.

As for the rest, who knows. I am in continental Europe, but I got that idea also by reading various places online.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Abercrombie writes edgy teen fantasy, quite like Martin. Violence, bleakness, no fun in sight. Only misery.

Sanderson was chosen to write the ending to Wheel of Time. A series that is one of the brightest examples of fantasy there is.

I had never even heard of Abercrombie until I read his books when I foung them in my local library. I am a nerd who reads every fucking fantasy book a library had. When I was younger, I visited libraries an hour away to loan books to read (lived in a small county so library was small, visited all around my area to find something to read). A is not that famous.

Just like Martin wouldn't be widely known without the TV series. If you read his books you see how thin the substance there is, under all the edgy fuckery.

And Robin Hobb is one of the best fantasy authors alive. Farseer trilogy is one of the most touching pieces of literary I've ever read. She almost achieves Waltari-levels of grandeur.

But yeah, we need more proper fantasy worlds to be made into RPG games.

EDIT. took away a slight rant about Martin. I really don't like his books.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Abercrombie writes edgy teen fantasy, quite like Martin. Violence, bleakness, no fun in sight. Only misery.

Sanderson was chosen to write the ending to Wheel of Time. A series that is one of the brightest examples of fantasy there is.

I had never even heard of Abercrombie until I read his books when I foung them in my local library. I am a nerd who reads every fucking fantasy book a library had. When I was younger, I visited libraries an hour away to loan books to read (lived in a small county so library was small, visited all around my area to find something to read). A is not that famous.

Just like Martin wouldn't be widely known without the TV series. If you read his books you see how thin the substance there is, under all the edgy fuckery.

And Robin Hobb is one of the best fantasy authors alive. Farseer trilogy is one of the most touching pieces of literary I've ever read. She almost achieves Waltari-levels of grandeur.

But yeah, we need more proper fantasy worlds to be made into RPG games.

EDIT. took away a slight rant about Martin. I really don't like his books.
The Farseer trilogy and Hobb's subsequent books aren't exactly free of bleakness and misery either, heh. I'd even say Fitz is probably one of the more depressing protagonists out there.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I rather a developer who can create more than three generic enemies for most of the game to take it on.

Would you rather fight 11 different ennemies with mediocre gameplay or 3 generic ennemies with great gameplay? I loved the world and story of W3, but the gameplay was the weakest part. I'd much rather redo a 0-100% Spider-man playthough than start W3 from scratch.