• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
That's not weird at all.

1.) No Halo game (to my knowledge) has been shown off a year before launch.

2.) We have a Next Gen Xbox event at the end of this year. Tell me, would it make more sense to show off world premier Halo gameplay at E3 2019, or at the event where the new Xbox is being shown off to generate more hype?

People kept saying "Gears campaign isn't being show it'll be bad" when this is the biggest Gears game ever and has received great reviews.

3.) It takes development time to create demo's to be shown off. Wasting development time to show off Halo Infinite off 1.5 years before it's release date is pointless. If there's bugs the game gets shit on. If the graphics or frame rate aren't up to par it gets shit on. If the graphics get downgraded at launch it's a huge issue and it gets shit on. Just leads to more controversy. Might as well wait until the game is roughly a year or less from release date and you need to show it off to build hype/sell the game.
Wait, is there actually an expectation that the new console reveal will be this year?

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
A Halo game having development issues isn't exactly new. Halo 2, 3 and Guardians were all rebooted campaign wise 12 months before launch iirc. So nothing new here.

That's mostly Bungie being Bungie. They did the same shit with Destiny and Destiny 2.

I also think Halo: CE had troubled development prior to Microsoft acquiring Bungie (I could be mis-remembering here).

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
Departures like that are always newsworthy. Time will tell if it actually means much within the studio, though.

From the limited info out there, it seems Infinite is essentially a reboot of the IP. Might as well go all out and try new things. I'm expecting a live service game akin to Destiny with maybe a few modes catering more to classic Halo. Or maybe more of a hero shooter like Overwatch with an open-world, co-op focused campaign.

Old school arena MP is absolutely dead, and I don't see any situation where Infinite is like any other game in the series. I used to think a return to basics was what Halo needed to stay on top, but I was wrong.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is there actually an expectation that the new console reveal will be this year?

Tbh I'm not sure. I think either way we will get some serious time dedicated to it. X19 or E3 2020 (or another event on it's own) makes sense. And it makes sense they would save Halo gameplay for it. Like why not show your flagship franchise with the new console to generate massive hype? Doesn't that make more sense from a marketing standpoint?

We saw with Gears it doesn't matter if campaign is shown off until the end, Gears was the biggest Gears game in a long time and it knocked Fortnite off number 1.

Halo gameplay not being shown yet shouldn't worry anyone.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
While I don't envy 343s position, they have to make a great Halo game. They've had enough time, they've heard all of the feedback. It can't be a Halo 4/5 level disaster.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
i know everyone loves drama, its fun to speculate, and we got the usual concern trolling, but perhaps we wait to hear more than "i heard some executive of unknown role may or may not have left the project for any number of reasons" before we jump to conclusions?

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Business as usual.

Remember when Sony was having a bunch of turnover and people freaked out for nothing? Yea, that's just the games industry for you.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
i know everyone loves drama, its fun to speculate, and we got the usual concern trolling, but perhaps we wait to hear more than "i heard some executive of unknown role may or may not have left the project for any number of reasons" before we jump to conclusions?
I will start to worry when the head of catering leaves the company. Food is the driving force.

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I'm not sure. I think either way we will get some serious time dedicated to it. X19 or E3 2020 (or another event on it's own) makes sense. And it makes sense they would save Halo gameplay for it. Like why not show your flagship franchise with the new console to generate massive hype? Doesn't that make more sense from a marketing standpoint?

We saw with Gears it doesn't matter if campaign is shown off until the end, Gears was the biggest Gears game in a long time and it knocked Fortnite off number 1.

Halo gameplay not being shown yet shouldn't worry anyone.
Hmm I don't know, personally I'm expecting a pre-E3 event to reveal the console next year. I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to get in front of Sony and scheduled it for X19, but I almost feel like they would have announced the event and said at the same time that it will reveal the console. I do think we'll get the first Infinite gameplay, or at least a strong teaser for an E3 reveal at the console reveal event though.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... I dunno.

I love Halo, but if I'm MS I'm extremely disappointed with their output. When an industry leading franchise becomes an also-ran surpassed by other legacy franchises that were also-rans during the same time period, you have to question whether the right executive decisions are being made.

Creatively, I think the series would be better off re-embracing what seperated it from the rest of the shooter market, rather than trying to fit in with the crowd. That's probably not something a creative person wants to hear- they want to make it their own. So I get it if there's a ton of turnover.

Whatever happens, I hope the right people land at the studio. Halo is still my favorite franchise despite the string of missteps.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I appreciate behind the scenes reports, but I wish Microsoft would also give me a reason to remember the title optimistically again. They should release the (presumably) Infinite video from Halo Outpost Discovery's The Ring Experience now that the event is over, which was genuinely awesome to witness in the dome.

I assume (hope) X019 will be about arena (or arena-equivalent) gameplay and its flighting, with the hints we've gotten from 343.

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate behind the scenes reports, but I wish Microsoft would also give me a reason to remember the title optimistically again. They should release the (presumably) Infinite video from Halo Outpost Discovery's The Ring Experience now that the event is over, which was genuinely awesome to witness in the dome.

I assume (hope) X019 will be about arena (or arena-equivalent) gameplay and its flighting, with the hints we've gotten from 343.

id rather they have Arena gameplay ala halo 1-3, than 'Arena adjacent' gameplay personally.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping Phil is pushing for them to leave the old Halo style in the past and encouraging them to make a more Destiny like type game. They have all the tools to pull it off.

This is gross and would prove 343i learned nothing.

Since the inception of 343i, They've been ditching Halo's classic sensibilities in the name of chasing trends and it has yet to pay off.

Players won't respond well to a knockoff Destiny. They'll just go play Destiny.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
id rather they have Arena gameplay ala halo 1-3, than 'Arena adjacent' gameplay personally.
Oh, my "hope" comment about an arena or arena-equivalent blowout wasn't my sentiment on what I want the gameplay to be like, more so that I'm just hoping 343 follows through on what they've been hinting at with flighting the game by the end of the year, so I can see what the gameplay is, period, vs the (cool) mood pieces and story trailers we've had so far. We don't even know what they could be flighting first with Infinite, it could be something unconventional compared to the Halo 5's beta.

And if they miss the end of year window that they've hinted at (not promised) for Infinite flighting, no biggie if it's to avoid crunch.

Poohblaster

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I don't think we'll know if Halo Infinite is going to be good until E3 2020. When executives and creative directors leave, that tells us there's stress and conflict, that's about it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
3.) It takes development time to create demo's to be shown off. Wasting development time to show off Halo Infinite off 1.5 years before it's release date is pointless. If there's bugs the game gets shit on. If the graphics or frame rate aren't up to par it gets shit on. If the graphics get downgraded at launch it's a huge issue and it gets shit on. Just leads to more controversy. Might as well wait until the game is roughly a year or less from release date and you need to show it off to build hype/sell the game.
This is really key for me nowadays. We have multiple trends converging to make showing "gameplay" years in advance something that the Japanese and no one else is doing. People have short attention spans, we forget the hype almost as soon as we've felt it. Excitement is fleeting and it does not translate into anything meaningful or tangible unless there's something to direct that excitement to IMMEDIATELY IN THE MOMENT. That's true in every sphere of life. As a responsible adult I give regularly to orgs and individuals that I want to support. I STILL give way more in impulse moments where I choose to support people because of an unexpected pitch that affects me in limited way. But do that in the same way where I am not prepared to log in and pay up? There's no guarantee I will remember to pull up the tab once I get home.

That is combined with the realization that best-guess demos have massive potential to do more harm than good. Not only do you get the obnoxious downgrade! puddlegate! crap that we see all the time now, but it also locks you into certain things way way earlier in a development culture nowadays that values working right up to and beyond launch date. Is that good? No, but it's something that studios value. That's combined with the fact that it just takes tons of time and effort to craft and create these demos - especially for things as intricate and detailed as AAA game trailers are now. Think about how ABSOLUTELY THOROUGHLY the E3 2019 trailer (which was just the opening an-ingame cinematic, which I think is far better) was scrubbed and broken down. How every lighting choice and diaper was critiqued and appraised. And how they still found an easter egg months after the fact. These things are not trivial to create.

So combine limited benefits to showing early, with the large potential downsides to showing early, with the relative difficulty of showing early.. well.. why would you show early? Explode onto the scene when you're ready to make moves. Show us gameplay when you're hyping up Scarlett or - probably - announcing some awesome program that will make the Xbox ecosystem an even better place to play games. People are actively avoiding DS gameplay. Sucker Punch showed Ghosts when that was probably all they had of the game done. And then they had nothing to show this entire year for over a year and a half. It's a strategy that has worked in the past. This is a new era.

Man I freaking love reading my own words. Why do I write so much.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
Beg your pardon? Halo 4, regardless of your thoughts, at least shipped with all the standard modes and content you'd expect from a Halo game.

Halo 5 was missing BTB, Forge, and several fan favorite modes like Infection, Oddball, and Grifball. Say what you will about the game now, but it took months for Halo 5 to get all the content a launch Halo game should have.

Halo Infinite taking this long gives me hope that they're at least making sure the launch of that game isn't as barebones as Halo 5 was at launch.

I don't expect anything from Halo games anymore.

Halo went drastically down hill IMO after Halo 3 and Reach. I wasn't referring specifically to game modes missing, but that's a valid point. I just thought Halo 4 was an overall bad game, and as far as replay value - i'm sure it was great for some, but I thought it was the worst entry in the series by a long shot.

I have no expectations for Infinite. 343 hasn't done much to earn my trust. I'm still trying to get over the whole MCC debacle where the game was in a broken state for months. Let that sink in. They shipped a game in a state where it was broken for almost a year...Good on them for working on MCC today though. I think once that hits PC, Halo might have a bit of resurgence.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Oh boy...this is definitely concerning. Having the creative director leave and even further staff leaving doesn't show the most encouraging sign that things are going ok with the development of the game. Hoping the quality of the game is unaffected by this.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I have high hopes for Infinite.

I hope this news doesn't mean

A. There is lots internal strife around the game
B. 343 are facing bad crunch to get the game out for Scarlett's launch

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Oh boy...this is definitely concerning. Having the creative director leave and even further staff leaving doesn't show the most encouraging sign that things are going ok with the development of the game. Hoping the quality of the game is unaffected by this.

This!

Things have been looking so good lately. Phil Spencer showing that the new studio stuff wasn't just talk, Scarlett coming next year and launching with Halo. We don't need bad news.

They have been working on this for a long time, I just hope they didn't get overly ambitious.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
This happened with 4 as well.

Every time someone tries to do something cool and fresh with Halo, it seems, they get downvoted.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing H5 co-op right now and its way better than I remember. I think I was a bit too harsh on the game when it first came out. Even Locke is starting to grow on me

Parts of the Halo community is always like that. With Halo 4 for example it was shit on from the campaign, story, music, multiplayer, ect. But Now atleast for the campaign stuff Halo 4 is being praised by those same parts of the community. It will not surprise me when people begin to look back at the Halo 5 campaign and say, it was actually pretty good".

My opinions on Halo 4 and 5 haven't really changed, they are great but at times flawed games with some questionable art and gameplay decisions.

Still holding out hope that Halo Infinite's Xbox One version will be cancelled and that it will blow us away as a Scarlett launch title instead.

I hope not, I do not plan getting the new Xbox at launch as I have other priorities and as I learned from the 360 launch it's not worth the risk.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
its been a 5 (almost 6) year dev cycle...

This so much! That is a long ass time and 343 is huge, tons of devs in there.

I kinda wish they would clarify some of this, reassure us that all is well. But even if they did that, who would believe it? And honestly that would even be understandable too. Fuck man, this should be a time to look forward to Halo returning to form again.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
This so much! That is a long ass time and 343 is huge, tons of devs in there.

I kinda wish they would clarify some of this, reassure us that all is well. But even if they did that, who would believe it? And honestly that would even be understandable too. Fuck man, this should be a time to look forward to Halo returning to form again.
They don't need to say anything. They just need to show off the game when it's ready.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
They recently hired a new narrative director that could be one of the positions Brad is talking about.