christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Game core OS is supposed to enable ease of development between Xbox and Windows 10 so I'm guessing MS software engineers will be working closely with the DX team , Nvidia and AMD.

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Since I can't post threads. Here's first look on Razers Xbox keyboard and mouse

CFEDF490-8952-4985-BAE0-1357871-ED377.jpg

That mouse pad is so small not sure why even buy this.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quick summary of the video in OP for those who can't watch. Gonna break things down by codename and family of devices:

- Xbox One -
- Maverick: Codename for the discless Xbox One S SKU.
- ROMA: Codename for Xbox service that links console purchases to your Microsoft account. Adds account/subscriptions to your box before you get it to save setup time.
- Anthem: Codename for Microsoft's Xbox One S-based XCloud tech. There's already Anthem V2 which is based on a One S hardware redesign (no codename mentioned for that, rumored for next Fall to cut production costs)

- Next Gen -
- Scarlett: Codename for the "family of devices" Microsoft plans to introduce next gen
-- Danta: Codename for the Xbox "next-gen" devkit. Brad seems to imply that it covers both SKU's
--- Anaconda: Codename for the more powerful next-gen Xbox (Also referred to as Xbox Pro internally)
--- Lockhart: Codename for the less powerful next-gen Xbox (Also referred to as Xbox Arcade internally)
---- Anaconda-based streaming console: Mentioned, but has no codename attached that we know of.
Thanks for this!

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
So, I wonder if there will be 4 sku's. High-end, low-end and diskless versions of each? Sign me up for high-end diskless.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Quick summary of the video in OP for those who can't watch. Gonna break things down by codename and family of devices:

- Xbox One -
- Maverick: Codename for the discless Xbox One S SKU.
- ROMA: Codename for Xbox service that links console purchases to your Microsoft account. Adds account/subscriptions to your box before you get it to save setup time.
- Anthem: Codename for Microsoft's Xbox One S-based XCloud tech. There's already Anthem V2 which is based on a One S hardware redesign (no codename mentioned for that, rumored for next Fall to cut production costs)

- Next Gen -
- Scarlett: Codename for the "family of devices" Microsoft plans to introduce next gen
-- Danta: Codename for the Xbox "next-gen" devkit. Brad seems to imply that it covers both SKU's
--- Anaconda: Codename for the more powerful next-gen Xbox (Also referred to as Xbox Pro internally)
--- Lockhart: Codename for the less powerful next-gen Xbox (Also referred to as Xbox Arcade internally)
---- Anaconda-based streaming console: Mentioned, but has no codename attached that we know of.

I feel like this is a lot more clear and concise than whatever that chart (and explanation) in the video was. lol

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know for sure that something will come out of all of these? Seems like a lot. Maybe a bit too much.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bit of bump. So Roma is the Digital Direct. Alot of it coming out. Only really Lockhart missing.

Along with Maverick, Microsoft is planning Roma, which is a 'digital attach' feature for the Xbox. What this will allow you to do, as long is it is shipped as planned, is order an Xbox One with digital services 'attached' to the hardware when it ships to your house.

Think of it this way, in the near future, you will be able to buy an Xbox, subscribe to GamePass and Xbox Live, pre-pay for a fixed time period, and when your device shows up, it will be pre-configured from day one. While this may not be a killer feature, the streamlined process will make the day one experience a little bit better.

May 17, 2018
Think of it this way, in the near future, you will be able to buy an Xbox, subscribe to GamePass and Xbox Live, pre-pay for a fixed time period, and when your device shows up, it will be pre-configured from day one.

I'm not sure how necessary it was to dedicate resources to something like this, but, I suppose anything that improves QoL is a good thing.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
I read that quote like 5 times and I still dont get it.

So you can choose to digitally configure your xbox before you buy it? What does that mean lol

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

So you can choose to digitally configure your xbox before you buy it? What does that mean lol
Lets say you do all access program. You select the plan you want, then select some months of gamepass and lets say a extra game. You set that up.
Then when the console arrives you set it up and gamepass is already active and the game also (no codes needed) Just have to download it.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Lets say you do all access program. You select the plan you want, then select some months of gamepass and lets say a extra game. You set that up.
Then when the console arrives you set it up and gamepass is already active and the game also (no codes needed) Just have to download it.

That sound as pointless as I imagined.

Basically when you get your Xbox and hook it up you won't have to log into it or sub to any services. Everything will be ready to go.

Subbing to a service is not a hassle to begin with, there is no pain point that this relieve, but cool I guess.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Subbing to a service is not a hassle to begin with, there is no pain point that this relieve, but cool I guess.

I give you Judge his post.

"Not very consumer friendly"

"How is anyone cheering this"

Listen, I get this is an enthusiast board, but please think about other possible scenarios that exist outside of our enthusiast bubble.

Microsoft has research that shows them that the initial setup of the new system someone just bought, as well as needing to create and setup a new account, are both confusing and not as streamlined as people want it to be. They are likely trying to reduce any friction or issues with having a code redemption process for something, when a lot of "casual" people expect it to just "work" out of the box. A parent who has no idea of anything console wise setting up a console for their child is often confused and frustrated at the process. Not everything is spelled out and clear during setup, and MS has likely been working on ways to help alleviate and solve common complaints; one of these being that the code redemption process is often cumbersome to people. Random error codes, process taking too long, codes somehow expired or used, then people are frustrated and have to phone the support line.

Could a side benefit to them be quelling a grey market? Maybe? Does it suck for people who are proficient in knowing how consoles operate, and therefore don't need a change (and are now penalized for not being able to sell or buy cheap codes)? Yep. But I honestly believe their intent is to improve the onboarding process for new customers, which I believe this does.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017

Well, setting all that up before you get the console means you don't have to do all that with a controller instead of mouse/keyboard or a phone so I think it's pretty handy.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Think it's like when you order one of Amazons own electrical devices and it arrives with your Amazon account already logged into it.

Don't think it means games will be downloaded onto the device, simply that it's ready to go straight out of the box. Just plug it into your network and off you go.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Bit of bump. So Roma is the Digital Direct. Alot of it coming out. Only really Lockhart missing.

While this isn't for me necessarily, this is dope and way cooler then posters are giving it credit for. Imagine being that kid who gets an xbox for a birthday or Christmas and all of your account info, whatever game you wanted, and their updates were all installed and ready to go. Especially since every Christmas servers are always going down and slow due to so many users. Or a hospital IT department setting up a bunch of xbox's for the kids to play all at once the same way they setup their own servers and pcs already.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
I'm not sure how necessary it was to dedicate resources to something like this, but, I suppose anything that improves QoL is a good thing.
I don't think this is a major addition, but I like the QoL changes small or big the Xbox OS and XBL Live team are doing. Their support is really second to none and the only major wish is getting a better store done and that's what they work on. I am on the same page as you.

petermarinus

Banned
May 31, 2020
This makes a lot of sense if the Series X during launch window comes with ultimate for 1 or 2 years.

Only if they can bundle it like this can they offer it. So it's great/easy for regular consumers and a necessary evil against scalpers buying up these launch consoles and trying to flip the game pass ultimate for even more profit. A very small vocal minority will not be able to sell their digital bundled stuff, but they can opt to not buy a bundle so it works out nicely I guess.