• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

baberunisei

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you connect to PSN with SD2VITA? It made me think I should download all my digital Vita games and back them up. Is that possible or will I need to download to a vita memory card then copy to SD?

Yes you can connect to the PSN while using SD2Vita, at least you could last time I turned my Vita on. I successfully synced trophies several times while using it. But I've never downloaded anything from the store since I hacked my Vita, so I don't know if that works

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Ooooh, I didn't even know this was a thing! I'd bought a 16gb card and already regret not going bigger.
bigger vita memory tend to get corrupted, espishlly the 64GB verion which will cost you more then $120 now days.
the adapter is cheaper is better, but you will sacrafice the game slot.
if you got the 3G model, you can replace the 3G chip inside it with SD card adapter.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time, since everyone else beat me to all the good stuff. Hmph.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't seen it listed yet, but I now recommend Risk of Rain on the Vita. Lost a surprising amount of hours to this fantastic game in the past month.

Have fun with the Vita, it's such a great system.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Thanks for this suggestion. I love SRPGs and somehow have not heard of this!
Most of the better games like P4G, P3P, Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Ys VIII, etc.. have been mentioned. I'll throw a few more.

- Don't forget Jeanne D'Arc, great SRPG game for PSP
-
- Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky FC/SC. Yes, PC version is better, but this is still quite good.
- Legend of Heroes Cold Steel 1&2
- Tokyo Xanadu (newer Falcom game). Yes, PS4 / PC version is better but this is still good.
- Odin Sphere (remake by Vanillaware)
- Muramasa Remaster (awesome action game by Vanillaware)
- Shinobido 2 - flawed but quite great
- Phantom Brave - quite fun PSP RPG
- Growlanser - great SRPG with quite complex story
- P3P (need to mention that again just because :P)
- Ys games (whole bunch, Origins, Celceta and 7 are really good, 8 mentioned above)
- MGS 2&3 HD and Peace Walker

There are a ton of great, great PSP and PSX games out there that are playable. And there are a lot of awesome vita games mentioned in the thread already and more that have not.

Gouf

May 17, 2018
No Heroes Allowed: No Puzzles Either! and Soul Sacrifice Delta are excellent.

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the lists.
I regularly play on my vita during holidays. Kinda done with Stardew Valley and Persona 4 didn't do it for me, hate the dungeons.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
A few of my favorites, in no particular order:

- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP, it is fucking CRAZY that this game hasn't seen any port or remaster to modern platforms/PC. One of the best FFs ever made.)
- Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP)
- Tenchu 4 (PSP, way better than the Wii version despite the graphics downgrade because the controls aren't godawful)
- Dragon Ball Tag VS (PSP)
- Gran Turismo (PSP)
- WipEout Pure (PSP)
- WipEout Pulse (PSP)
- Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X (PSP)
- OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PSP)
- Sega Rally Revo (PSP)
- Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP)
- Motorstorm: Arctic Edge (PSP)
- Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception (PSP)
- Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (Vita)
- Shinobido 2 (Vita)
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita)
- Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus (Vita)
- WipEout 2048 (Vita)
- Samurai Warriors 4 (Vita)
- Samurai Warriors 4-II (Vita)

Guilty pleasures of mine:
- Shinobido: Tales of the Ninja (PSP)
- Tenchu: Time of the Assassins (PSP)

Japanese only:
- Tenchu San Portable (PSP port of Wrath of Heaven)
- Tenchu Kurenai Portable (PSP port of Tenchu Fatal Shadows)
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP)

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Thanks for the lists.
I regularly play on my vita during holidays. Kinda done with Stardew Valley and Persona 4 didn't do it for me, hate the dungeons.
For dungeons NISA and Idea Factory have you covered!

- Disgaea 3/4
- Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy
- Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy
- Stranger of the Sword City
- MeiQ and the Labyrinth of Death
- Shiren
- Mary Skelter
- Ray Gigant (good for players new to the genre)
- Dungeon Travelers 2 - kind of sketchy but not bad
- Demon Gaze 1 & 2 (good for DRPG newbies)

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
For dungeons NISA and Idea Factory have you covered!

- Disgaea 3/4
- Operation Babel: New Tokyo Legacy
- Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy
- Stranger of the Sword City
- MeiQ and the Labyrinth of Death
- Shiren
- Mary Skelter
- Ray Gigant (good for players new to the genre)
- Dungeon Travelers 2 - kind of sketchy but not bad
- Demon Gaze 1 & 2 (good for DRPG newbies)
Great list, Vita is a DRPG oasis. For me Dungeon Travelers 2 is the goat DRPG, with an incredible postgame - but yeah, it has unnecessarily sketchy parts and people should read about it before diving in.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Great list, Vita is a DRPG oasis. For me Dungeon Travelers 2 is the goat DRPG, with an incredible postgame - but yeah, it has unnecessarily sketchy parts and people should read about it before diving in.
DT2 is a good DRPG from mechanics perspective. From character and enemy design though.... Yeah...

But yeah, Vita is a great DRPG machine. A lot of those games can be had on physical for not all that much either.

Oct 31, 2017
I don't think they do sales at all that aren't PS4/PS5 :/

Was hoping to get a couple more Vita games, but they're stuck at full price now.

Well, thankfully, the ones I'm interested in are 5 bucks or so... Much more than what I used to pay (got games like RE3 and Dino Crisis 1/2 for one buck each :D ) but still pretty fair in my book.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Well, thankfully, the ones I'm interested in are 5 bucks or so... Much more than what I used to pay (got games like RE3 and Dino Crisis 1/2 for one buck each :D ) but still pretty fair in my book.
Yeah I don't mind paying full price for classics, they're priced pretty well. PSP games too. But I'd like to buy some of the Saga games for example, but only the PS4 versions go on sale.

Elementje

Dec 26, 2017
Killzone Mercenary was actually really great!
Darkest Dungeon is a good handheld game.
Sound Shape is very chill music ritm game
Muramasa Rebirth is beautiful and fun

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm disappointed this hasn't been posted yet. Are we not doing it anymore? Is this tradition dead?

xjPi6Th.gif

All must play games have been mentioned already, so I can't add much to this thread. Props to the user who mentioned Lumines! It's really addictive. Like, seriously addictive.

Thomas Was Alone is a simple and minimalist puzzle platformer I truly enjoy. You could give it a try as well.

Thanks, it took long enough.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Is Odin Sphere fine on the smaller Vita screen or am I gonna be squinting at the text/UI?

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Slug 3
Metal Slug X
Metal Slug XX

OP at this point I think it's safe to say you have alot to work with. PSP and Vita Era came clutch.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017

Hands down the best game on the Vita, imo. It's a "monster hunt" game but it has an amazing story with a really interesting world and characters. The voice work and narration are top notch and there are several moments where I straight up cried. I can't sing its praises enough and I hope Sony doesn't abandon it.

this is the only vita exclusive truly worth it

other than that, TxK and Spelunky are the best reasons to use a vita

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 4 Golden
Hotline Miami
Danganronpa series
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Steins;Gate

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I'm disappointed this hasn't been posted yet. Are we not doing it anymore? Is this tradition dead?

xjPi6Th.gif

All must play games have been mentioned already, so I can't add much to this thread. Props to the user who mentioned Lumines! It's really addictive. Like, seriously addictive.

Thomas Was Alone is a simple and minimalist puzzle platformer I truly enjoy. You could give it a try as well.
Is this the part where we trick the newbie into playing Monster Monpiece?

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I'm around 5 hours into Odin Sphere and it is fantastic. Anyone know if cross save works okay with PS5? I'd love to see this art on the big screen too and am really tempted to buy it on PS5 and move between it and Vita for my playthrough.

Aimi

self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 16, 2021
I do not own a Vita but if you're into Farm Sims, check out Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley for the PSP.
I played it so many times just to marry all the bachelors. I still have all the tricks and notes I made for myself while playing through the game lol. This game was so confusing to lil 9 yr old me.

Last edited:
Vita thoughts
OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I've had my VITA for several days now.

Long story short, I absolutely love this thing. I'm so bummed it flopped but then it's not difficult to see why.

I've almost exclusively been playing LBP PSP and Odin Sphere, but I've grabbed a number of other games recommended in this thread. I also just grabbed the first Persona, which I'm pumped to check out!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you are enjoying it.

I believe you can transfer your save to ps4 in the otions menu for Odin Sphere. Though it had been a while so I could be wrong.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Get it modded to SDVita. Vita memory cards are absolute garbage. Lost a 40 hour persona 4G campaign.

Horrible system at stock due to this. Those propriety cards are also hard to find and have high failure rates. So it's a double whammy of awfulness.

how do you do this? I've had luck with my vita mem Card so far but I have heard about the reliability issues.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017

xjPi6Th.gif

I can't believe this took this long to be posted.
Also in case nobody did, Tactics Ogre for PSP.

Another

Banned
Oct 23, 2019
Portugal
that would only really be possible if he has the 2nd gen model vita, og vita would still need a vita memory card for vita homebrew

You'll need a memory card for either model unless you plan to go 100% digital (and kiss some gems goodbye in the process) since the internal memory on the slim won't be enough to rip your physical games so you can use them with SD2Vita afterwards.

Personally, I'd recommend a 4Gb card. It's pointless to go bigger and only increases risk.

As for the SD2Vita, I'm rocking a 256Gb myself but I'll have to make one final upgrade to 400Gb before long.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I came in to say Spelunky and TxK and have been beaten multiple times, Glad to see TxK appreciated, shame it'll never reach a wider audience.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
PSP = FF Dissidia 012, Kenka Bancho Badass Rumble
Vita = Ninja Gaiden Plus, Uncharted, Ys 8 Lacrimosa, Ys Memories of Celcetta

Definitely more but I'm not remembering them now.

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
Vita:
- Project Diva series (imo best played on the Vita because of the amazing dpad and buttons)
- Freedom Wars
- Soul Sacrifice
- Danganronpa series (Vita was, and remains, the best VN console)
- Oreshika

It's a shame Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice still haven't been revived. Freedom Wars is my favorite MH-like, and you would think Sony would've done something with the property given its similarity to (and the enduring popularity of) Attack on Titan.