• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

Breath of the Wild Characters

Here listed are the characters from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

punishedbacklog.com

We Found and Ranked All 231 Characters in Breath of the Wild

Seriously, we found and ranked every single character in Breath of the Wild, all the way down to each stable tennent in a list truely like no other.

Not only are there a bunch of them with individual names, but they have some pretty intricate, context-sensitive dialogue, small character arcs and just straight up character, full stop

There's the dude who shares his name with a horse, the band of adventurers who were abandoned by their leader in Gerudo Canyon and are all named after grains, there's the rumourmonger who you can find all over the map, the ancient tech fetishist who want to see more guardian types, the various zora elders who are initially mean to Link after feeling like he was responsible for Mipha's death 100 years ago ... and then there are a bunch of unique dialogues from them when link is without clothing

105m87uhaai01.png

e-J-fhdSAgIWSvzCxDXLnoST4r16vK4_AK1sZ-GfxlU.jpg

9f2f8jyaj2e11.jpg

on830axzffc21.jpg

4clvqn3j76ry.jpg

I remember seeing some comments about how BotW2 needs to do NPCs better, and I could see that argument being made in relation to the main characters, but the floor for NPCs in BotW is pretty high imo. Look at all that work

What's your fave BOTW NPC?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They were visually pretty varied, but still mostly just stood in place to deliver a line of dialogue like a signpost....like every other jrpg
Oh I guess some of them go to sleep at night and have a funny line when you're not wearing enough clothing if thats what you mean by intricate, context sensitive dialogue?

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Finally, this forum will give BOTW it's due!

/s

BOTW has the most charming characters in all of Zelda. There, I said it. They are charming and sweet and there's a spark of personality to everyone. While the previous games just felt a bit like a theme park, these folks felt alive. I'm not sure how to describe the art style, but each character felt of their own journey that had started well before you arrived and would continue for years after you left. That's how you make a world.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic designs. Each one feels like a separate hand crafted character down to the smallest details.

Preble

Nov 7, 2017
I loved all the NPCs in Breath of the Wild. Really great and fun, up there with Majoras Mask and Wind Waker's NPCs.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was more to do with them but yes, I love their expressions and how they reacted to link when he wasn't being... modest.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Molli.jpg

Molli said:
Once upon a time... My grandpa stopped at a big tree while he was climbing a big mountain and looked below him to the northwest. When suddenly he saw a HUGE snow-white birdie with its wings spread wide! My grandpa took off flying after the snow-white birdie. And as he got a little closer to the white birdie, Grandpa saw something SUPER important inside its belly! The birdie had swallowed-!
Molli said:
...I always get sleepy around that part of the story...so I don't remember.
Hmm hmmm hmm... Now what did that snow-white birdie swallow? I can't hear the story from Grandpa anymore... *sniff

Molli really hit me for such a small piece of quest dialogue.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Kass by far. Giving clues to shrines, every time I heard that tune I knew there was something really unique around the corner.

My least favorite was that stupid transphobic shit they put on your way to Gerudo Town.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Nah, Majoras Mask actually had NPCs living their lives differently each day, with some real player agency to the direction some of them take.

Oh dear god I want BOTW2 to merge these ideas. You're absolutely right too. I only really played it on the 3DS, by then Dead Rising had spoiled me with the concept. I wish I could have played it fresh, I know I would have loved it.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
They have great designs but there really wasn't any depth to them and I never felt like they were on the journey with you.

Depth compared to what other games though? Like, I'm genuinely asking what other games have a comparable number of named NPCs where each have as much dialogue, character, sense of progress, etc. I don't even doubt that there are other games, but I see "NPCs" cited as a particular weak point in BotW, and I just don't see it. There's certainly room for improvement, but it's not like the world feels devoid of NPCs, or that they are in any way notably poor compared to BotW's contemporaries

click on any name in that first link from the OP, look at what's in their bio, and know there are like 200 more of them that are just like that.

Nah, Majoras Mask actually had NPCs living their lives differently each day, with some real player agency to the direction some of them take.

MM is probably one of the best examples of all time in regard to NPCs, and that's due in large part to the time loop. It's an exception—most other Zelda games have middling casts of NPCs in terms of how you interact with them and their dialgue/character/etc.

Sure MM is great in that regard, and BotW has three times as many NPCs that MM has. You also do affect some of their routines/lives.

Molli.jpg

Molli really hit me for such a small piece of quest dialogue.

exactly

And that's just one out of hundreds.

Last edited:

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
Depth compared to what other games though? Like, I'm genuinely asking what other games have a comparable number of named NPCs where each have as much dialogue, character, sense of progress, etc. I don't even doubt that there are other games, but I see "NPCs" cited as a particular weak point in BotW, and I just don't see it. There's certainly room for improvement, but it's not like the world feels devoid of NPCs, or that they are in any way notably poor compared to BotW's contemporaries

click on any name in that first link from the OP, look at what's in their bio, and know there are like 200 more of them that are just like that.
I can't remember a single name of a single NPC in BOTW, whereas I probably know the backstory, name, and a few lines of dialogue of every single character in something like Dark Souls. Sure Dark Souls has less NPCs, but that doesn't change the fact that the ones in BOTW were pretty forgettable overall.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they were alright, but tbh this is actually one area I hope they really improve on in BotW2.
Like, sure, all the NPCs in 1 were visually varied and they have a solid foundation started, but I ultimately found the world too lonely and all the NPCs only have like one or two unique things to say before they become irrelevant, plus most of their quest lines were dull as rocks. I want more interconnected, interesting quests like Terry Town, or maybe even stuff with different outcomes. Quests that surprise me, make me think, or really give me a sense of someone living in their world are the best. Very few of BotW's did that for me, so by extension I found most of the NPCs surface level world flavor at best.

Gimme Majora's Mask level of NPCs! Now that is a game that did NPCs really freaking well.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
In the same genre? The Witcher 3's NPC's were fully voiced and had stories that actually went somewhere. BOTW is still stuck at the level of having characters stand there awkwardly while text pops up, and at most a single vocalized expression.
IDK I find voice acted dialogue in something like the Witcher clunkier and less expressive than text boxes sometimes are.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
In the same genre? The Witcher 3's NPC's were fully voiced and had stories that actually went somewhere. BOTW is still stuck at the level of having characters stand there awkwardly while text pops up, and at most a single vocalized expression.

Eh, it's not a fair comparison imo, they are going for different things...Witcher is a literary role-playing game in the truest sense, BOTW is a cartoon myth adventure game.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every now and then I boot up BOTW to take a stroll around Hateno (the GOAT town of any game) and I recognize every single villager when I do. The game is just oozing with charm and care.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember a single name of a single NPC in BOTW, whereas I probably know the backstory, name, and a few lines of dialogue of every single character in something like Dark Souls. Sure Dark Souls has less NPCs, but that doesn't change the fact that the ones in BOTW were pretty forgettable overall.

40 NPCs from Dark Souls isn't comparable to 230+ in BotW. Something like Red Dead Redemption or Horizon Zero Dawn have half the number of NPCs and BotW's still have a decent amount of dialogue/character on average.

I'm not even trying to say BotW is the BEST full stop, but it can't really be cited as a weak spot in the game like what I often see happen.

There's like 60 NPCs in that game though

Just click through that first link in the OP and look at how much character there is spread all across that big Hyrule map

Not to mention a bunch of them give specific hints to certain phenomena and points of interest across the land in well-written in-universe ways

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I agree. People often dismiss them and consider them really shallow and undeveloped, but I thought they were wonderful. The world really felt a lot more alive and inhabited because of them.

It never felt like I was looking at or seeing the same thing copied over a bunch to fill screen space. They all have unique names, faces and many have pretty striking and well crafted personalities. Overall the game doesn't do much with them really, but they never felt meaningless to me.

One of the things I really hope BotW2 does is really incorporate some of them and develop them a lot further with more fleshed out side quests ala Majora's Mask.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My little opinion: the NPCs and the way they grounded Hyrule and Link socially are an element that makes BotW's Hyrule the most engaging game world I have ever explored. Not the only or even main element, but an element nonetheless.

I think this is very important in a game where there are tons of "little" things that make up the whole.

An aside: this game is a perfect example of the sum being greater than the parts.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
no actually needed

npcs were great and actually apart of the world, and doing their own thing.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
40 NPCs from Dark Souls isn't comparable to 230+ in BotW. Something like Red Dead Redemption or Horizon Zero Dawn have half the number of NPCs and BotW's still have a decent amount of dialogue/character on average.

I'm not even trying to say BotW is the BEST full stop, but it can't really be cited as a weak spot in the game like what I often see happen.

There's like 60 NPCs in that game though

Just click through that first link in the OP and look at how much character there is spread all across that big Hyrule map

Not to mention a bunch of them give specific hints to certain phenomena and points of interest across the land in well-written in-universe ways

I'm scratching my head understanding anyone arguing simply just in favor of sheer numbers. The NPCs certainly have character but the lack of voice acting for most of the game is a detriment to their characterization.

BotW shines in many ways but I don't think comparing it to Horizon let alone Red Dead in this specifically is going to be charitable.

OP
OP
Spring-Loaded

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
I'm scratching my head understanding anyone arguing simply just in favor of sheer numbers. The NPCs certainly have character but the lack of voice acting for most of the game is a detriment to their characterization.

BotW shines in many ways but I don't think comparing it to Horizon let alone Red Dead in this specifically is going to be charitable.

The number matters because of there's, say, a thousand NPCs, that affects how much attention/dialogue/progression/etc. can be given to each of them. if they're just nameless generated decorations, then there could be thousands in a game like GTA, but they mostly have no character

it's not a "there's more here so it's better" argument being made. I'm saying for the number of NPCs BotW has, it does a pretty good job with them, on par with its contemporaries.
60? Really? Some of these are less NPC, but its not 60. I've seen the wiki for BOTW Npcs and its still very surface level, with most of them having 1 or 2 lines of dialogue and that's their existence.
Sorry, was going off this link and I guess that's just NPCs with worth to the game world

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Do well-written books suffer for a lack of voice acting in regard to the characters?

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy but I hate it when English localization people use cutesy internet terms like "nekkid".

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This doesn't make your case like at all.

I don't remember any NPCs in Dark Souls but remember those in BoTW.

What is that saying exactly? Not much.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Do well-written books suffer for a lack of voice acting in regard to the characters?

Sorry I don't understand the relevance. The conversation is a comparison of games not other mediums. I'd also argue vehemently that Breath of the Wild's story is the most banal part of the game.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry I don't understand the relevance. The conversation is a comparison of games not other mediums. I'd also argue vehemently that Breath of the Wild's story is the most banal part of the game.
That is fair, but storytelling in videogames has a richer history in text than it does voice audio. Games have told stories via text for far longer than they have via voice acting.

Edit: thus the connection to books vs films.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
BotW NPCs were well done because I was always curious to see what they had to say. I think it's because most of them have info about secrets and what you can actually go do.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
That is fair, but storytelling in videogames has a richer history in text than it does voice audio. Games have told stories via text for far longer than they have via voice acting.

I don't disagree and I'm not arguing that you need voice acting to tell a story. I love books and there's something special about imagining a character's voice.

But if you're going to compare characters between games and one set of games has voice acting for all its characters and one doesn't it seems disingenuous not to at least mention it.

Again going back to the comparison, the game shines when it does its own thing, not try to tell this epic story that really just seems like a superficial reason for the world to be as it is. I wish it concentrated more on the champions and gave us more Zelda since we get insight into Link through her interactions. It was the best part of the game on this topic: getting more understanding of these heroes and what they sacrificed.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
The characters are 100% underrated & many very good, but as some users mentioned it's a far cry from Majoras Mask and it's scheduled NPCs. Now, to be fair, they had a strict 3 day schedule limit so it worked excellently, and at best in BoTW they could've done some sort of daily schedule thing, but that's never as 'quality' as a focused system as seen in Majoras Mask. I don't think such a schedule system is needed but it would 100% give 'life' to the towns and smaller areas of the game.

Nov 11, 2017
The character designs and personalities were just so damn good.!.To this day I can think of just about every character around the map. Compare that to the most technologically advanced out there and it makes you realize what really matters.