• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Would've been pretty funny if they instantly called a VoC and kicked him out again.

also a view from the continent:

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
The hilarious thing is if they followed through with "home rule in the UK" aka federalism Indy would die.

Edit well pre EU vote dunno how that would shake out.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
What is the "best deal"?

Fucked if I know, but I'm not paid to be in a position to negotiate it. The fact that parliament, including members of her own party, threw it out 3 times, tells me she could have perhaps made a better fist of it. Having said that, it was always a thankless task so who knows...

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
It's not surprising really. The PM was a remainer who was never going to get us the best deal. She was on a hiding to nothing as would anyone have been. Given everything that has happened, a leaver was always going to get the top job.
What you need is a PM that reflects how close the referendum result was and delivers on that basis. Not one that picks the most extreme of one side that doesn't even represent most Leave voters.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
He still needs please the ERG types (who represent Tory members views) because the "liberal" wing hates him though.
Right now, it's like being in a hurricane. You can hear explosions, and sirens, and what sounds like things collapsing.

Right now, the only option is hunkering down. We don't know which way the storm is going to go. We don't know what fires will be burning when it breaks. We don't know what we will have to fight to protect.

We don't know what Boris is going to do as PM. We don't know which tory MPs are going to fall in line behind him. We can guess, of course, but until it happens, we can't really strategise what to do about it. Until then, best to take care of our own mental health, so that once it is clear exactly what we are up against, we are best equipped to do something.

My default position is one optimism. But it isn't one of inaction.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Fucked if I know, but I'm not paid to be in a position to negotiate it. The fact that parliament, including members of her own party, threw it out 3 times, tells me she could have perhaps made a better fist of it. Having said that, it was always a thankless task so who knows...
But parliament voted against every available option.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes it is, we're a country. A country that doesn't get what it votes for and I hope to god unionists make this precise argument because it'll guarantee Indy.

For election purposes you are just 59 seats, less than England, more than Wales - a number that is roughly proportionate to the population. There is not a collective choice of Scotland. How would that work? If Scotland gives most Scottish seats to the SNP, should the SNP run the UK, despite not running outside of Scotland. It's nationalist bunk.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Parliament threw literally every single option they were presented out and the Brexiteers themselves have yet to make a single realistic statement on what they actually want (outside of deals that are literally impossible). Judging her deal based on that is just strange; it's like saying a Michelin-starred restaurant is crap because a group of picky children can't decide on what they want from the menu.

Oct 25, 2017
He really does look like some kinda gary busey clone lol
8b3c3r4td1c31.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall right, Boris was vying to become prime minister after David Cameron left and then Gove back-stabbed him so that Gove could become prime minister and then Theresa May got the job. Boris has been trying for this position for quite some time now... The entire reason he pushed for Brexit was so that he could be PM and looks like he finally got his wish...

I still don't quite get what happened. Sure, Gove threw his hat into the ring, but Boris was still the massive favourite. If he really wanted it at that point he could have waltzed into No.10. I'd guess he saw it for the poison chalice it was and decided to hold off. Only reason I can see him wanting it now is because it's probably the last chance he realistically has.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Right now, it's like being in a hurricane. You can hear explosions, and sirens, and what sounds like things collapsing.

Right now, the only option is hunkering down. We don't know which way the storm is going to go. We don't know what fires will be burning when it breaks. We don't know what we will have to fight to protect.

We don't know what Boris is going to do as PM. We don't know which tory MPs are going to fall in line behind him. We can guess, of course, but until it happens, we can't really strategise what to do about it. Until then, best to take care of our own mental health, so that once it is clear exactly what we are up against, we are best equipped to do something.

My default position is one optimism. But it isn't one of inaction.
Can't argue with that but it's extremely hard to see this as anything other than knowing it'll be bad but not knowing how bad.

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Parliament threw literally every single option they were presented out and the Brexiteers themselves have yet to make a single realistic statement on what they actually want (outside of deals that are literally impossible). Judging her deal based on that is just strange; it's like saying a Michelin-starred restaurant is crap because a group of picky children can't decide on what they want from the menu.

I'm judging it based on the fact that if it went through, we wouldn't really "leave" at all, we'd be tied in with none of the say we have today.
I agree though that I don't think there's a deal that the EU would go for between what she got and what leavers would accept as "leaving", short of coming out with no deal.
It seemed to me that maybe if she could have done something around the Irish backstop, she might have been able to get something through but given the way parliament voted everything else down, who knows?

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
The hilarious thing is the bureaucrats in EU generally have zero respect for Boris and some actively dislike him, the Russians too. There are clips of politicians bursting out laughing when he was chosen as foreign secretary. I can only imagine the Iranians don't think much of him either. In fact he is very much a laughing stock to many non-UK politicians. I'm looking forward to seeing him navigating the current tanker crisis with Iran considering how well things went the last time he had any diplomatic dealings with them. And that's just for openers ha ha.

At least Trump as endorsed him though! :)

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
For election purposes you are just 59 seats, less than England, more than Wales - a number that is roughly proportionate to the population. There is not a collective choice of Scotland. How would that work? If Scotland gives most Scottish seats to the SNP, should the SNP run the UK, despite not running outside of Scotland. It's nationalist bunk.
There is a collective choice of Scotland, the sum of votes(or seats). It's quite incredible how you don't understand this, even unionists here view ourselves as a country and as a country we can vote against brexit and Tories all we want but we'll ultimately get what England wants.

So we should just shut up and keep quiet is the message you are sending with this argument. Guess what alot of us are sick of getting what we don't vote for.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
That's not how elections work. It isn't England vs Scotland. It's 65 million people divided into 650 seats, each of which has equal weight.

Nice one Jezza, let's put the fun back into fucking up the country by making us guess when you're going to do your job.

... how would you define 'do your job', in this situation? like, acting as the opposition, obviously, but should he call a vote immediately or set a specific date or what

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is a collective choice of Scotland, the sum of votes. It's quite incredible how you don't understand this, even unionists here view ourselves as a country and as a country we can vote against brexit and Tories all we want but we'll ultimately get what England wants.

So we should just shut up and keep quiet is the message you are sending with this argument. Guess what alot of us are sick of getting what we don't vote for.

I didn't vote for them either. Maybe I should declare independence? That's not how democracy works. You don't get to carve out a section of the electorate, aggregate their votes and then compare that to choice of the country as a whole and claim injustice. It's nonsense. If Cornwall decides to vote Cornish separatists into her seats, does she then have a legitimate argument for independence because the choice of the county is not the same as the choice of the country?

If you want to vote for a party of government maybe actually vote for a party that wants to be in government and not just a regional power. There are many reasons to want independence, just as there are many reasons for Brexit but perverse electoral maths is not one of them.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
People should probably stop posting goofy gifs of him doing funny things because it just feeds into the whole 'loveable buffoon' thing

Oct 25, 2017
he doesn't have the numbers so he has to wait for signals from the tory unfaithful, it's a simple as that really.

Yeah, a failed VoNC is pointless, and you can be sure the Tory 'rebels' wouldn't vote for one immediately, and that's crucial.

Boris is going to get August to mull over his position over recess, and maybe conference season too. Similar to May's stalemate over last Christmas I suppose, bit I imagine the rumour mill will be louder.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... how would you define 'do your job', in this situation? like, acting as the opposition, obviously, but should he call a vote immediately or set a specific date or what

Depends what my job is. If my job is to shepherd in brexit without getting my hands dirty then I'd do exactly what he is doing. Alternatively, if my job is to put a stop to a Tory policy which is going to fuck the working people I claim to represent, I'd be looking to build a remain consensus across the opposition parties and reaching out to the likes of Grieve and Hammond to see if they would be prepared to support an immediate MONC. In fact I would have already done that. There are roughly 22 days of parliament between now and brexit day. If not now, when? If not Corbyn, who?

Oct 28, 2017
I still don't quite get what happened. Sure, Gove threw his hat into the ring, but Boris was still the massive favourite. If he really wanted it at that point he could have waltzed into No.10. I'd guess he saw it for the poison chalice it was and decided to hold off. Only reason I can see him wanting it now is because it's probably the last chance he realistically has.
He misjudged the situation IMO. Against the clock and with the media saying he was finished he bottled it accepting that Gove had finished him where in fact the only person Gove had fucked over was himself. If he had stood he'd have beaten may easily. The field was so weak that Fecking leadsome made the last 2.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I didn't vote for them either. Maybe I should declare independence? That's not how democracy works. You don't get to carve out a section of the electorate, aggregate their votes and then compare that to choice of the country as a whole and claim injustice. It's nonsense. If Cornwall decides to vote Cornish separatists into her seats, does she then have a legitimate argument for independence because the choice of the county is not the same as the choice of the country?

If you want to vote for a party of government maybe actually vote for a party that wants to be in government and not just a regional power. There are many reasons to want independence, just as there are many reasons for Brexit but perverse electoral maths is not one of them.
I'm fairly certain you are trolling me now.

Ps can you run better together please?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'm jealous that you can conceivably remove him quickly. We get one shot at removing our moron.

Oct 26, 2017
It is fascinating to be living in a time where we are knowledgeably democratically electing idiots. Like there have been a ton of idiots in power in monarchal systems and what not, but this is just next level embarrassing.

Oct 28, 2017

This kind of post can eat my arse. We're an unequal union where England gets to push and shove all it wants while the other 3 nations have to hobble along with it. We aren't federalised, so a lot of our decisions here in Scotland come down to how England feels about things. The Barnett formula is one of the greatest examples of this. How the hell can you expect us to really accept that we should only get a fractional amount of dosh for our services because England decides to spend X on its own services? Its controversial to even shake it up because its either going to reveal that Scotland brings in a shitload more tax than it gets back, or that Scotland is a leech on English resources.

Seriously, take a look at how things actually get decided in the UK instead of just going "hurr durr you get so many seats in parliament". Those seats mean fuck all in the end.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm judging it based on the fact that if it went through, we wouldn't really "leave" at all, we'd be tied in with none of the say we have today.
I agree though that I don't think there's a deal that the EU would go for between what she got and what leavers would accept as "leaving", short of coming out with no deal.
It seemed to me that maybe if she could have done something around the Irish backstop, she might have been able to get something through but given the way parliament voted everything else down, who knows?

Well then May's deal was the best deal because there was no way that the EU was going to both improve the benefits and lower the downsides.

This idea that any deal is possible if only someone is 'good enough' at it is like the "lazy devs!" rhetoric you see on Gaming Side. It just completely ignores what deals actually are.