• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

patientx

Oct 26, 2017
People saying that it might be because of cheaper prices on other regions , it wasn't available to buy in the beginning for us -Turkey- at least. There was never a borderlands in the store. Only an ad but no price.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
People saying that it might be because of cheaper prices on other regions , it wasn't available to buy in the beginning for us -Turkey- at least. There was never a borderlands in the store. Only an ad but no price.

Yeah, BL3 is one of most expesive games in other regions:

TZdT0aD.png

That's only 66% discount compared to US msrp after $10 discount. (Compared to Bloodlines which was 92%).

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is just showing there is a clear division of what is good for consumer and what is good for developer/publisher. It isn't even AAA specific because you have Hades and Bloodline doing the same or similar shenanigans because they want only one thing and that's high income. I'm all for affordable profit splits but it's obvious that with this fiasco of a sale Epic's rushed and abhorrently ironic monopoly storefront is just not good.

Competition is great, but have it be on a storefront that doesn't break at the sight of a sale nor have it be with one that has exclusive rights to games which in turn means I can not buy that game elsewhere. Because of that scummy exclusivity when one of these games drops off I can't buy it anywhere else. I can't actually support the dev despite them or their publisher's shitty wants for an extra cheque. There just is no choice.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so they removed their game from the store. I thought they just removed their game from the store. Good thing 2K cleared that up.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly how absurd is it that a mega corporation can just buy their way into the videogame market, despite not knowing anything about running a storefront?

Now I see why they don't even have a shopping cart. It's not that these things take time. It's that Epic's completely incompetent. And this ladies and gentlemen is your new overlord of the PC marketplace. They can't even figure out how to run a sale. All they can do is throw their money at publishers to stop others from selling games.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
Honestly how absurd is it that a mega corporation can just buy their way into the videogame market, despite not knowing anything about running a storefront?

Now I see why they don't even have a shopping cart. It's not that these things take time. It's that Epic's completely incompetent. And this ladies and gentlemen is your new overlord of the PC marketplace. They can't even figure out how to run a sale. All they can do is throw their money at publishers to stop others from selling games.
It's ridiculous. They are obviously out of their league.

People who come into these topics about the EGS and try to defend Epic should be embarrassed. But hey, it's just another click, am I right? Competition!

Last edited:

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017

Was never a surprise to anybody paying attention. EPIC is using brute force tactics to enter the marketplace and sadly it is working despite all the screw ups.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Epic is incompetent indeed.
It seems they just put everything on sale without a greenlit from publishers, it's hilarious.
There is a reason why steam proposes a discounted price to publishers before every sale and then only if the publishers greenlit it or pick another price and greenlit it it appears discounted during the sale.
They know what they are doing, epic obviously do not.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Was never a surprise to anybody paying attention. EPIC is using brute force tactics to enter the marketplace and sadly it is working despite all the screw ups.

It is also not a surprise to anyone that had used the epic marketplace before https://www.resetera.com/threads/ep...oing-to-developers.84967/page-6#post-15635223 made that post in december of last year, showing how terrible the epic marketplace was, and it is obvious that they brought all their let us call it expertise? from the marketplace to the epic games store, since it shows given the absurd amount of screw ups the EGS has had since it started just half a year ago.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
I'm honestly baffled how fucked up this whole situation is. Every time I think that Epic won't be able to top their new mess, they somehow manage to fuck up even more.

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
They were so quick to make a lame exclusive deal and tell us how awesome the EGS is for PC gaming. Now nobody on PC can actually buy the game. Hahaha. Crazy.

I'm sure Epic will get it together any day now. 2K has to be disappointed, but it's hard to feel bad for anyone involved in this mess.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I really don't understand why devs are pulling the sale brings attention to game and only financially hurts epic with the $10 off coming from their cut.
Because they likely did not agree on the price of their not yet released games being lower than what they originally set them to be.

Thanks to this sale, many games' value had been diminished by a bit. It is more about the perception rather than the financials.

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017

Well.... that was very informative statement.... /s

Still, the "honored at that price." does indeed suggest that the price is going up, so now I'm feeling sorry for the poor programmer that's going to have to crunch to duct-tape a solution to the store software. Ouch.

Also, to anyone saying it's hard to buy via VPN because of the local payment requirement: it really isn't and several people were/are already saying how they "the got a good deal from other regions". The biggest protection would be locking your account to that region, but this assumes people actually care about that. With the current feature set EGS has, making a second account is hardly a deal breaker.

VallenValiant

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand why devs are pulling the sale brings attention to game and only financially hurts epic with the $10 off coming from their cut.
Because EPIC doesn't own the games and thus does not have the right to change prices independently. This is not about money, it is about control. Epic has no right to alter the price of goods that they don't legally own. Only the owners of the IP could allow it at their pleasure. This is the difference with digital downloads.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018

Um, buddy. Epic isn't some random company that recently decided to get into video games.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
They removed the sale price from the BL3 store page hours before actually taking the game down. I'd wager EGS tried to find a way to exclude just BL3 from the sale after 2K told them to stop the discount and couldnt do it. So they took the whole thing down. Crazy.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine this helping Epic's case for developers to sign up for their store. They're going to scare off everyone before long, if they keep screwing up and making developers and publishers scramble like this.

ashen

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't really matter does it? They obviously don't know shit about operating a store.
Nor did Valve when they started Steam, plus for many years after. I don't understand why people feel Epic should measure up to such an immediate standard, when Valve had plenty of issues with Steam for numerous years.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They removed the sale price from the BL3 store page hours before actually taking the game down. I'd wager EGS tried to find a way to exclude just BL3 from the sale after 2K told them to stop the discount and couldnt do it. So they took the whole thing down. Crazy.
There curation is done manually along with patch updates. No joke, they actually have to manually file in storefront additions and updates which can cause game updates to be delayed if a game needs to be added to the store.

Nor did Valve when they started Steam, plus for many years after. I don't understand why people feel Epic should measure up to such an immediate standard, when Valve had plenty of issues with Steam for numerous years.
Because it's 2019 and not back when Valve launched? If I launch a bank should I be okay to not have certain logical safety measures because "banks never had these x years ago?" No, the expectation is modern features for a modern setup.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas

What is epic offering consumers at this point? If they can't run a competent store, what are they offering devs? Creators? Literally anyone but epic shareholders?

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
They say great services are built on the shoulders of giants. Not here. At Epic, we do all our services from scratch. No hand holding.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Because it's competing against Steam now, not Steam from 2004. What a bizarre argument.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
I can't imagine this helping Epic's case for developers to sign up for their store. They're going to scare off everyone before long, if they keep screwing up and making developers and publishers scramble like this.

This is the hope. Cause Tim already said the consumers wouldn't be the focus and determine who "wins the war" if I am remembering his statement right.

I really hope we hear from Randy on this.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

And epic had all those years to observe valve and learn from their mistakes. The guy in charge of the store has been datamining and trying to exploit steam for years for crying out loud! Why they should measure to such a standard is because most other stores now are at that standard. You can't expect the standard of 16 years ago to be good enough anymore. They decided to open a store, so they should realize that they will be judged against the market as it is right now. If a comoany decided to make their own video game console, and it was comparable in features to a C64, "why doesn't this have a lot of features that modern consoles have" would be a perfectly valid complaint.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i can see a publisher not wanting to devalue their game by cutting the price too deep, but retracting the game from the sale sounds like it's kind of useless..the historical low will still be there even if you take the game away from the sale, the internet doesn't forget

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Geez guys why are you so vicious how can you possibly expect a shopping cart or a search function six months (read three years) after a store has opened. So unfair!

JD3Nine

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Texas, United States
I mean it's not like Epic has every advantage. Nope. They are just a tiny upstart that has no idea about how digital distribution / PC gaming has grown over the past 15 years. We can't expect them to hit the ground running.

J/K in case it wasn't obvious.

Last edited: