LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

This part in particular stood out to me.

We aim to achieve feature parity for all versions of Borderlands 3 early in 2020, but for the moment the version of the game that you play on Stadia has benefitted from the updates and fixes that were released through October 24

It's not clear exactly what "early in 2020" means, but if you're playing Borderlands 3 on Stadia in the meantime, you're playing a two month old build, missing many fixes/updates.

I thought a key part of the pitch for Stadia was that you don't have to wait for updates?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
H-how? These Stadia instances are just PCs. I fail to see how this could possibly be a problem

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Don't see the point. Just delay it and make sure it is an updated very at launch.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Stadia dev support is starting to look like early days of PS3. I think Google is going to continue to have this problem at least until the free tier is out and people can buy into Stadia without the $130 kit. IMO the problem is not so much a difficult development environment (nothing like Cell), as a lack of audience (consequently lack of priority on the part of devs).

Going forward, port quality will likely go up as adoption of Vulkan matures. Especially if PS5 supports Vulkan, the development differences between Stadia and PS5 should be pretty minor.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
For real though, are there a lot of people on this forum who bought Stadia? I'm curious as to how their experience has been so far

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
giphy.gif

Yeesh. Stadia really can't do anything right right now can they? I can't understand how they think stuff like this is okay.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't believe they're using Linux for this shit

I guess Google doesn't wanna pay potential fees to Valve for using Steam versions or something because jesus

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
How much you want to bet that once launch crashed and burned the companies that signed on shifted Stadia to low priority?
Yeah, this sounds an awful lot like fulfilling a contractual obligation with the least effort possible.

Which, luckily, is something Gearbox knows a bit about.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017

I guess Google doesn't wanna pay potential fees to Valve for using Steam versions or something because jesus
I mean, it's basically it's own platform, like Xbox and Playstation are. Though I'm willing to guess that Stadia's platform is much less capable.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Running on Linux is 100% irrelevant people. PS4 runs on BSD, what matters is what tools Google provides to developers.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
With Stadia, you don't have to wait for updates to download

Because the games don't get updates

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
For real though, are there a lot of people on this forum who bought Stadia? I'm curious as to how their experience has been so far

The Bad:
It's a beta-quality service, lacking lots of features you'd expect from a modern game system. The quality of ports seems to be below the capabilities of the hardware which has been announced. Many of the cool promises of the platform like using the wifi controller seamlessly and wirelessly on every platform is not ready. Games are a bit overpriced considering few of them are new. Chrome browser videostream is a bit muddy, and capped to 1080p.

The Good:
Streaming in 4k on the chromecast using the controller is a slick, stable experience. You can legit forget you're playing a stream. Watching the "Buy" button turn into a "Play" button, and having it immediately work is dope. Transforming any low power laptop to a gaming PC feels like the future.

Stadia has done a great job solving the parts of game streaming that seemed impossible. The rest of the service is far behind Playstation and Xbox.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
They would have to pay Microsoft for Windows licenses, which Google is very, very against.

The licensing issue is major, but also going with Windows leaves a big piece of the user experience they can't control. The last thing you want users seeing is Windows error alerts and blue screen of death on their Chromecast.

undu

Oct 28, 2017

The actual bad part is that they are using AMD's drivers which are worse (slower and buggier) than the community-maintained ones

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
It's been great so far. when I'm playing Destiny 2 by myself (read: without the wife or any of my friends) and just knocking out bounties and crap, I actually play on Stadia more because it loads a shitton quicker than on PS4 and it plays better because of the higher framerate.
I don't think a lot of people bought it here or anywhere else.
Plenty did.
How much you want to bet that once launch crashed and burned the companies that signed on shifted Stadia to low priority?
Sadly, they probably already were lower priority. Unless the developer of a new platform goes and helps to make it a thing (Bungie) it's not likely to be high on the board unless it's already got a native Linux port (all 3 TR games) .

Goddammit, Linux isn't the issue. Steam versions wouldn't even be an issue since many of us have been using Proton to play Windows games on Linux for over a year, now. It's about the port job requirements and the amount of effort the devs put forth into porting the content (note: this is NOT me saying "lazy devs").