Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I had another table so I could solo game easier. Might make some table space on my work-from-home desk setup.Could probably play some Marvel LCG on it

Modest Mauser

Jan 12, 2018
Supposedly they are planning an upgrade for us original edition owners. We will see if that comes true or how much it costs, etc. I am interested too.

My box actually has so much wear and tear from travel and play I wouldn't mind the opportunity to replace it haha.

Unrelated: I picked up Land, Air, & Sea and The Crew on the suggestion of that new SU&SD video to play with family during lockdown and they're both lovely in how much they do with so little. Very pleasant surprises, both.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
Played tapestry for the first time. I had a good time. It was really tight up until the very last turn. My wife ended her civilization and then I did a few more actions and did my final income phase and I ended up winning by about 100 points... So that was a huge swing. My wife enjoyed playing but didn't like that you have to sit around while waiting for the last player to finish their game.

OP
OP
XShagrath

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
Played tapestry for the first time. I had a good time. It was really tight up until the very last turn. My wife ended her civilization and then I did a few more actions and did my final income phase and I ended up winning by about 100 points... So that was a huge swing. My wife enjoyed playing but didn't like that you have to sit around while waiting for the last player to finish their game.
The one time I played, I finished up about 30-45 minutes before the other two players. I ended up going to the other room and playing pinball.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on the Frosthaven kickstarter and whether it's worth backing it now?
Do you have the financial means to spend the money now, will be fine for the next 6 months of virus issues, and want it as soon as possible.

If you answered yes to all of those questions then go ahead and back it, if you answered no to any of those questions skip it. Even if frost retails at $130, after discounts from places like CSI and free shipping it will be the same price or cheaper than the kickstarter.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on the Frosthaven kickstarter and whether it's worth backing it now?
Frankly it looks really good. I don't back boardgames, but the only reason I haven't backed it myself is that I have Gloomhaven but I still never manage to get it to the table. If Frosthaven was a bit cheaper, I might have still bit on it (as is I still might). At the very least, it's vastly better value than all those miniature-heavy games out there that you'll play twice and never get off the shelf again.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Do you have the financial means to spend the money now, will be fine for the next 6 months of virus issues, and want it as soon as possible.

If you answered yes to all of those questions then go ahead and back it, if you answered no to any of those questions skip it. Even if frost retails at $130, after discounts from places like CSI and free shipping it will be the same price or cheaper than the kickstarter.
Hrm, what about if I was interested in the other tiers (maybe even the stupid box tier)? Or is it basically going to be the same price in the end anyway?

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly it looks really good. I don't back boardgames, but the only reason I haven't backed it myself is that I have Gloomhaven but I still never manage to get it to the table. If Frosthaven was a bit cheaper, I might have still bit on it (as is I still might). At the very least, it's vastly better value than all those miniature-heavy games out there that you'll play twice and never get off the shelf again.
Haha, I'm almost half expecting the game to be one of those things I play with but never actually play.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
Haha, I'm almost half expecting the game to be one of those things I play with but never actually play.
If that's the case, it depends on if you've played Gloomhaven. If you haven't you might get that first or get the PC version to try out. They're both quite a bit cheaper, and the starting characters in Gloomhaven are less complex to run than Frosthaven.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
If that's the case, it depends on if you've played Gloomhaven. If you haven't you might get that first or get the PC version to try out. They're both quite a bit cheaper, and the starting characters in Gloomhaven are less complex to run than Frosthaven.
Yeah, I've been eyeing the PC version of Gloomhaven, but haven't bit the bullet yet because of early access. I suppose getting this would be jumping into the deep end a little though. lol
I imagine overall the price will be similar.
Ahh fair enough. :)

Curious if an organizer would be needed to actually make the game playable? I'm just assuming set up is horrendous without it.

Cathcart

Oct 29, 2017
I put a dollar down so I'll have access to the pledge master which I'm pretty sure means I don't have to commit until like October.

I just started Gloomhaven last week and I'm really digging it so there's a good chance I'll be ordering Frosthaven at some point.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
My SO and I just played our first game of War of Whispers. Other than the flimsy material and a bit nebulous instructions at times, we really enjoyed this one. It's a competitive game that is sometimes cooperative considering that you both can control all armies on the board. We didn't feel 2 player wasn't enough players to get enjoyment out of it either, but we imagine it gets better with more players.

Would recommend.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017

jams

Nov 6, 2017
My SO and I just played our first game of War of Whispers. Other than the flimsy material and a bit nebulous instructions at times, we really enjoyed this one. It's a competitive game that is sometimes cooperative considering that you both can control all armies on the board. We didn't feel 2 player wasn't enough players to get enjoyment out of it either, but we imagine it gets better with more players.

Would recommend.

I've been really intrigued by this game ever since the SUSD video review. I was tempted to buy it for my SO and I to play, as she expressed interest, but if it's not optimal at two maybe I should cool my jets on it a bit.

SixPointEight

Oct 28, 2017
I've been really intrigued by this game ever since the SUSD video review. I was tempted to buy it for my SO and I to play, as she expressed interest, but if it's not optimal at two maybe I should cool my jets on it a bit.

It was just fine, but it's alot easier to guess what the other team is rooting for, without some deceptions. I think it's 100% playable at two player, but strategies need to adjust accordingly. I actually suspect they differ quite a lot with more players.

jams

Nov 6, 2017
It was just fine, but it's alot easier to guess what the other team is rooting for, without some deceptions. I think it's 100% playable at two player, but strategies need to adjust accordingly. I actually suspect they differ quite a lot with more players.

Dammit, I just cooled my jets and now they're fired up again. I hardly need more board games at this point, but boy do I want them, ha.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
Rather tempted to finally pick up a copy of Gaia Project which I have been looking at for a while.

Seems like a good heavy solo'able game to dig into while I am locked down. Anyone played it?

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Rather tempted to finally pick up a copy of Gaia Project which I have been looking at for a while.

Seems like a good heavy solo'able game to dig into while I am locked down. Anyone played it?

I play a lot of solo games and Gaia Project has a pretty good automa system that I've lost (and returned to) a bunch of times. The game offers a pretty good variety of factions to play as, too. Setup can take a little while though.

shodgson8

Shinra Employee
Aug 22, 2018
I play a lot of solo games and Gaia Project has a pretty good automa system that I've lost (and returned to) a bunch of times. The game offers a pretty good variety of factions to play as, too. Setup can take a little while though.

Thanks! Yeah I can imagine the set up issues due to the amount of components. I have a folded space insert for my copy of Spirit Island & expansion, one would probably be beneficial for Gaia Project, I will have a look into it

If you don't mind me asking....is there anything else you would particularly recommend for Solo play?

jams

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks! Yeah I can imagine the set up issues due to the amount of components. I have a folded space insert for my copy of Spirit Island & expansion, one would probably be beneficial for Gaia Project, I will have a look into it

If you don't mind me asking....is there anything else you would particularly recommend for Solo play?

Not who you were talking to, but I'd really recommend Aeon's End, Arkham Horror LCG, and A Feast For Odin for solo play.

EDIT - Maracaibo is very nice as well.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

I was actually working on a big post for this thread, kind of like a solo game 'catalog' of reviews for my 60-70 solo games, but then other things happened. Seems like a more relevant time to return to that now than ever.

I will say off the top of my head, it's hard to go wrong with Uwe Rosenberg games as a solo experience - Agricola, Glass Road, Nusfjord, Feast for Odin, Caverna Cave vs Cave, are all good stuff.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Really don't spend so much on such a game then, its really a game you need to invest a lot of time in really too as it's a campaign based game you want to play over a long period of time on an ongoing basis
Is it pricey given all the bits? I think the reason I might not play it is more just the need to leave it out between sessions, or at least it seems like the type of game that requires either a full day or multiple sessions.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Is it pricey given all the bits? I think the reason I might not play it is more just the need to leave it out between sessions, or at least it seems like the type of game that requires either a full day or multiple sessions.

There is a reason that the box is a size of a crockpot, and that the kickstarter is including an option for a very expensive custom insert lol

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah, I saw the Gloomhaven videos when it came out and it seems like a nightmare. lol
It does seem cheeky to sell the management system separately though...

The management system was designed by another company long after the game was developed and released. Sure they could have incorporated something similar in frosthaven, but it would have jacked up the cost.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
The management system was designed by another company long after the game was developed and released. Sure they could have incorporated something similar in frosthaven, but it would have jacked up the cost.
Yeah. It'd just be nice to have it all incorporated so you're not like doing arts and crafts (apparently setup time for that storage solution is a few hours at least). lol

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
If you are okay with dexterity games, these should be great with kids:

Slide Quest
Rhino Hero: Super Battle
Flick 'em Up! Dead of Winter

Loopin' Louie is a competitive game, but it should be great with kids.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Animal Upon Animal is fun, but I've gifted copies to 2 different families with small children, and both copies are missing half their pieces now :/

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
If you are okay with dexterity games, these should be great with kids:

Slide Quest
Rhino Hero: Super Battle
Flick 'em Up! Dead of Winter

Loopin' Louie is a competitive game, but it should be great with kids.
Will save those for another time. I've got loopin' chewie, which is fun:)

5-minute Dungeon. Game might be a little frantic for a 7 year old at first but I would just extend the timer to like 8 minutes until the game is learned.
Thanks, I'll give 5-minute marvel a try since he likes superheroes. :)

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018

I think the key to the game is that element. The longer you can stay in the more resources you have figured out how to acquire and can spend for points. With my friends we've gotten pretty good at finishing near each other (with a longer game than when we first started). I would say do not underestimate the power of laying tiles down and conquering which usually pay for themselves or half of themselves and give you points.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Anyone here have Space Infantry Resurgence? Looking at it for solo play. I was interested in it years ago before the Kickstarter finally launched but then didn't end up backing it. It seems to have an interesting mix of wargame and ameritrash aspects that is appealing, since I haven't played any wargames.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, I'm working on a card game. I'm conducting a survey right now (Til saturday).

Would it be alright if I shared it here and asked for participation? I don't really like coming across as advertising, but I have a low and unhelpful amount of responses right now. It's assuming the survey-ee is somewhat familiar with trading card games. Sorry if this is off topic.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So uh, I'm working on a card game. I'm conducting a survey right now (Til saturday).

Would it be alright if I shared it here and asked for participation? I don't really like coming across as advertising, but I have a low and unhelpful amount of responses right now. It's assuming the survey-ee is somewhat familiar with trading card games. Sorry if this is off topic.

Might be safer to share in the Era board game discord to avoid any potential moderation