Status
Not open for further replies.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I hope they make the cast more diverse this time around. I'd rather they focus on more recent stuff though

loco

Jan 6, 2021
How popular is HP with kids these days?
Extremely popular in California. The universal theme park here makes gang busters on the franchise although super Mario world is soon going to eclipse it. I believe the books are still part of many school district's reading curriculum so kids are continually exposed to it

ironjoe

Jan 26, 2018
NYC
Fuck JK Rowling. I'm all for HP fading into the ether, and I was ecstatic to see the newest Fantastic Beasts movies flop. I want her to be solely remembered for her awful despicable views, not her books. Now we're looking at a whole new tv show? Absolutely awful. That means more press for persistent bigotry.

This thread should be locked down asap. Let people build their own little mind palaces to ignore what an awful person she is. They can be excited for HP on another forum.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
lol. Forgetting the transphobic piece of shit elephant in the room, who wants this? The actors are still around and beloved, and the movies aren't that aged.

Outside of content! content! content! it's a waste of everyone's time.
A lot of fans want this. It was for years a main talking point in Harry Potter Fandoms I know. Hell I wanted this, before I stoped supporting that franchise.

Dec 2, 2017
This is a Harry Potter thread and a common sentiment is that being a Harry Potter watcher/fan makes you incompatible with being a trans ally.

I'm interested in outcomes that result in Trans right being protected and expanded, which means I'm all for broadening the coalition of support for trans causes. I think excluding a bunch of potentially useful people - people who are largely young and liberal - because of a media property they like doesn't help us reach those outcomes.

I think this energy would be much better spent in a way that's not inherently self-defeating the way pre-emptively tying the success of a show that doesn't even exist yet to a rise in transphobia is.

I'd be interested to know how you feel about this, after your hand waving the issues and saying what's important is legislative protection for trans rights

View: https://twitter.com/FernRiddell/status/1643356200157818881

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I thankfully did not see this thread until now because I would have gone off on some posts in here if I was keeping up with the thread.

I am so fucking tired of seeing discussions about JKR and her IP on ERA focusing on everything but trans people. It's always talking about the IP's success, about the feelings of cis people and "allies", even people talking about what they want from it. Everyone just wants to talk right past us, thinking they just need to type out a quick "fuck JK rowling" "I hate JK rowling, but..." to get their free ally pass so they can keep talking about it.

We are facing genocide, and yet we get to sit and watch while people, knowing full well who JKR is and what she's doing, just casually discuss the merits of the IP of one of the biggest leaders of this movement like it's nothing. Genuinely, what the fuck.

Feb 27, 2023
I thankfully did not see this thread until now because I would have gone off on some posts in here if I was keeping up with the thread.

I am so fucking tired of seeing discussions about JKR and her IP on ERA focusing on everything but trans people. It's always talking about the IP's success, about the feelings of cis people and "allies", even people talking about what they want from it. Everyone just wants to talk right past us, thinking they just need to type out a quick "fuck JK rowling" "I hate JK rowling, but..." to get their free ally pass so they can keep talking about it.

We are facing genocide, and yet we get to sit and watch while people, knowing full well who JKR is and what she's doing, just casually discuss the merits of the IP of one of the biggest leaders of this movement like it's nothing. Genuinely, what the fuck.

100% agreed. This thread and a sad (but unsurprising) amount of the posts in it are in very poor taste.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
A lot of fans want this. It was for years a main talking point in Harry Potter Fandoms I know. Hell I wanted this, before I stoped supporting that franchise.

I just don't see it. Like one of the anchors around the last Star Wars trilogy was the fact they felt they had to bring the old characters back for nostalgia purposes, people flip out when you change voice actors in videogame and anime projects, etc. The original cast isn't even that old, you're going to cast a whole bunch of new kids all they will get is death threats for not being Radcliff, lol.

It's giving a bigot even more resources by throwing her cash to get this off the ground, and you're hoping lightning strikes twice. In regards to casting and movie making magic for a lack of better term; lots of things have to go right for a good tv show even when people know what they are doing. Its terrible morally but also business wise imho.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna side-eye the hell out of any actor that's willing to sign onto this project. I get it, kid actors gotta hustle, but any experienced adult or teen actor who's already established in the industry better stay the fuck away from this show.

Like, I'm not about to throw shade at voice actors who recorded their dialogue for Hogwarts Legacy 6 years ago before Rowling went Super Saiyan TERF Genocide, but by now, her evil has soaked into the groundwater. It's set in stone. You cannot associate yourself with a major Harry Potter-related project in 2023 without at least having heard about her trans genocide ideology. So at that point, anyone who's WILLING to walk through that line of fire to take that job is someone I'm not really going to be able to forgive or take seriously as a performer ever again.

But ideally, this show would just never get made at all and the TERF Witch would just fade into obscurity and never trouble us again.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
If they are doing it to Harry Potter already they will do it for Lord of the Rings books soon too.

Also, zero interest in this. Will not support.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rowling's goonsquad are attacking Daniel Radcliffe's...girlfriend now. Because one picture has her wearing heels and looking taller.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna side-eye the hell out of any actor that's willing to sign onto this project. I get it, kid actors gotta hustle, but any experienced adult or teen actor who's already established in the industry better stay the fuck away from this show.

Like, I'm not about to throw shade at voice actors who recorded their dialogue for Hogwarts Legacy 6 years ago before Rowling went Super Saiyan TERF Genocide, but by now, her evil has soaked into the groundwater. It's set in stone. You cannot associate yourself with a major Harry Potter-related project in 2023 without at least having heard about her trans genocide ideology. So at that point, anyone who's WILLING to walk through that line of fire to take that job is someone I'm not really going to be able to forgive or take seriously as a performer ever again.

But ideally, this show would just never get made at all and the TERF Witch would just fade into obscurity and never trouble us again.

I feel like they really have to be banking on the advantage that having kids/teens as the leads gives them for exactly this reason. Though I also question if there's going to be an audience for watching multiple seasons of an HBO show that's focused on kid actors to begin with. So that might backfire by itself.

But that's assuming this even gets anywhere to begin with and like… I fucking hope not.

Fwiw notifying the OP was actually a good move regardless. Staff policy seems to be that if the OP requests their thread be closed, it gets closed without question. Someone could always just remake it if that happened, but still, wasn't a bad idea.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I can see them going the Euphoria route and casting a bunch of unknowns and new faces to acting. Budget wise this seems almost impossible though if they go big on the special effects.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
I can see them going the Euphoria route and casting a bunch of unknowns and new faces to acting. Budget wise this seems almost impossible though if they go big on the special effects.

Honestly, is this even a real big special effects franchise? Feels like they're not doing grandiose stuff. I'd think new actors of course for the most part, just because of ages, but the CGI doesn't seem that intense, imo.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
If it's well done it will probably be pretty big. That game sold insane and still hasn't released on PS4 and Switch. Hogwarts and kids going to class, learning magic and whatnot is what people seem to like about the series. Probably why not many cared for those Fantastic Beast movies in comparison.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Why the fuck do people keep bringing up how big this is going to be or how many HP fans still exist?

We know. Everyone knows.

It's not the fucking point.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Honestly, is this even a real big special effects franchise? Feels like they're not doing grandiose stuff. I'd think new actors of course for the most part, just because of ages, but the CGI doesn't seem that intense, imo.
Quidditch always seemed to be the most visual effects heavy part of the movies. I can see them glossing over those parts to cut down the costs.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Discussion of Banned Game
If it's well done it will probably be pretty big. That game sold insane and still hasn't released on PS4 and Switch. Hogwarts and kids going to class, learning magic and whatnot is what people seem to like about the series. Probably why not many cared for those Fantastic Beast movies in comparison.

The really fucked in a morbidly funny way thing about Hogwarts Legacy is that the few metrics we have of its player count are pretty abysmal, mainly in comparison to other major single-player games like Elden Ring. For as much as people bought the game not nearly as many are actually playing the thing, at least more than an initial bit. Part of that is no doubt bigots buying the game as a form of solidarity with Rowling but part as well is people buying in solely for the brand and then very quickly burning themselves out of it.

For as strong as the Harry Potter brand is you'd think people would have more tolerance for the end results than they actually do. The Fantastic Beasts movies failed harder and harder, Hogwarts Legacy is ultimately looking to be a massive flash in the pan, the first run of Cursed Child was an all-out disaster and the general vibe of Cursed Child 2.0 is that it's easier to watch but still pretty bad, and is anyone actually watching that stupid game show? With all that I'm honestly skeptical of a TV reboot doing much better.

Dec 2, 2017
Oh good, people are using this thread to stealth talk about that game and how much they love the Hp brand. Nice to see that support for the trans community.

cloudzack117

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this is stupid they don't need to do remakes or reboots. Just do a fucking series with adult Harry being a kickass auror. They can use the kids of all the old guys if they want to do hogwarts stuff. Introduce some new dark wizard and have Harry go up agaisnt him. Easy fucking decision except for the wb execs I guess

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh this is stupid they don't need to do remakes or reboots. Just do a fucking series with adult Harry being a kickass auror. They can use the kids of all the old guys if they want to do hogwarts stuff. Introduce some new dark wizard and have Harry go up agaisnt him. Easy fucking decision except for the wb execs I guess
Always trust the WB execs when it comes to take the worst decisions possible.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
that period of everyone shutting the fuck up about HP after the final movie/book came out was pure bliss

loco

Jan 6, 2021
New stuff would be a way better if it continues with Harry as an adult.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
People just just watch Gundam Zeta for how to do a proper follow up. The main characters are still in it but you focus on new blood.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
People just just watch Gundam Zeta for how to do a proper follow up. The main characters are still in it but you focus on new blood.
Passing the torch to the next generation would be a no brainer and a great way to phase out the older generation. I have a feeling WB is going to go full extended universe on this if the remakes succeed.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I agree we should talk about Gundam instead of Harry Potter

Anyone here read Gundam The Origin? I'm halfway through the color version and this might be my single favorite piece of Gundam media.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Anyone here read Gundam The Origin? I'm halfway through the color version and this might be my single favorite piece of Gundam media.

Honestly if I could make The Owl House the go to teenage wizard show in Pop Culture I would in a heartbeat.

Seriously watch The Owl House, lovely characters, great LGBT reps, an actually well developed world, peak comedy, fantastic animation and it takes great potshots against Harry Potter.

View: https://youtu.be/R2OzXSdAmgo

The Owl House should get all the seasons and reboots instead

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Honestly if I could make The Owl House the go to teenage wizard show in Pop Culture I would in a heartbeat.

Seriously watch the Owl House, lovely characters, great LGBT reps, peak comedy and it takes great potshots against Harry Potter.

Agreed I love my queer witchy show, the roles deserve to be reversed

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
There is a big dissonance in this thread. People are rightfully exposing why the franchise and its creator are bad, yet other people purposely ignore it and instead talk how she can expands it. Frankly, it is infuriating how they continue ignoring the issue.

Seriously watch the Owl House, lovely characters, great LGBT reps, peak comedy, fantastic animation and it takes great potshots against Harry Potter.

Really need to watch this series. Need more series that have so much positivity like She-Ra.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

Tbh the only Gundam I know is Witch from Mercury for very obvious reasons (Suletta and Miorine). It's been really good as a non-gundam fan, and not needing to know anything else to enjoy it.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Where else would adult HP fans come to post their hot takes on the wizarding world of piss while completely ignoring trans folks and our valid grievances with the topic?
More disappointed towards the website itself I would say.. :/ Hope they don't ban me for it.. But I would have expected action already looking at the opening post date

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Since we are giving recommendations, let's go to another medium. There is a manga called "Love me for who I am" that is really great. The protagonist is a non-binary teenager who is finding their place in the world. Quite a good LGBTQ+ manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.