Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.bloomberg.com

Nintendo Chills Mobile Ambitions After Animal Crossing Success

Nintendo Co. is retreating from the $77 billion mobile gaming arena after disappointing results deflated once-lofty ambitions, ending a multiyear effort just as the market goes through an unprecedented Covid-era boom.

Very interesting read. Here's a few quotes to summarize it.

Nintendo Co. is retreating from the $77 billion mobile gaming arena after disappointing results deflated once-lofty ambitions, ending a multiyear effort just as the market goes through an unprecedented Covid-era boom.

President Shuntaro Furukawa proclaimed two years ago that smartphone games would be a $1 billion business with growth potential, building on his predecessor's promise that Nintendo would release two to three mobile titles each year. That spurred hopes among investors that the gaming powerhouse could carve out a substantial slice of the market. In May, however, the president adopted a markedly different tune, saying "We are not necessarily looking to continue releasing many new applications for the mobile market."

Nintendo's shares slid 4% the day after that remark. Close observers might have sensed Nintendo was growing disillusioned with the mobile realm even earlier. Its smartphone games project was born out of necessity to shore up the bottom line amid the Wii U's failure. Now, riding a surge in Switch popularity and investor confidence, the Kyoto-based company appears to have reassessed the mobile business and narrowed its focus to its own console ecosystem.

"In a sense, Nintendo's enormous success on console reduced the need and the pressure to put resources into mobile."

Fearing that it would harm the brand equity of its franchises, Nintendo asked its mobile development partners not to force players to spend a lot in games, according to people at those companies, who asked not to be identified as the matter is private. A Nintendo spokesperson declined to comment.

Nintendo has tested various revenue models for its smartphone games, including one-time purchases for Super Mario Run and subscriptions for Mario Kart Tour. Both apps have fallen short of market expectations in terms of revenue, according to Kazunori Ito of Morningstar Research.

Nintendo's dimmed enthusiasm for smartphone games is driven not only by disappointing revenues and unsatisfying monetization options but also by the limitations of the platform. The company believes its franchises shine brightest when coupled with designed-by-Nintendo controllers and it's never been fully comfortable with the touchscreen-only interface of a phone.

"New smartphone games will come, but it's very likely these will be just alibi releases to appease shareholders," said Toto.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Sounds great to me

Considering Animal Crossing's insane success, this isn't that surprising.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to create ground-up concepts with new IP, not lamer versions of their franchises.

Actually this is the exact opposite of what they should do.

As per the article:
Square Enix Holdings Co., whose Dragon Quest Walk has grown into a huge hit, has taken another route to maximizing game revenue. The publisher monetizes its franchises by making them popular on high-definition home consoles first and then steering players to smartphone apps and having them spend money there -- not just once, but repeatedly. It has so far released more than a dozen Dragon Quest mobile apps and more than three dozen Final Fantasy games for phones, showing the scale of investment required. Both franchises have legions of characters and by releasing multiple titles from each set of lore, the company prompts players to keep spending to obtain their favorite heroes for each game.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds like good news to me, but how exactly did nintendo game's on the phone not make enough money for them to want to continue?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
If I'm being honest. Their mobiles games are just not very good. They got the IPs and whatnot, they just didn't make the games that make it big. Even Super Mario Run is pretty mediocre but I appreciate their efforts of trying to make it single buy

Even Heroes which is their best moneymaker was pretty barebones at first before IS got better. Tho if I'm being honest. I don't think they'll leave the market, maybe we'll just see fewer games or they'll re-adjust how to approach the market.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Sounds great but honestly Nintendo, you haven't even bothered attempting Nintendogs or Brain Training yet?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
The-Evil-Is-Defeated.jpg

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the only mobile effort that was great was Fire Emblem Heroes imo.

If they made games like that on mobile I would be fine.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Their output honestly kind of sucked. They're sitting on a goldmine of IP and were just pumping out super mediocre junk.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at the numbers they are doing on their own platform, the opportunity cost to go mobile, a platform with 30% less on each sale and uncertain success, must be too high right now.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Good, because there's no need to. Switch and its games are selling like crazy, and devaluing their legendary franchises with freemium micro-transaction-ridden garbage destroys their position of being the conscience of the games industry.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think he is talking from the perspective of a consumer who just wants new Ip's from Nintendo, knowing how talented they are and what they can bring to the table.

I can get that but the biggest mobile successes aren't necessarily new concepts or IPs. See Fate/Grand Order, Pokémon GO, Dragon Quest Walk etc.

This sounds like good news to me, but how exactly did nintendo game's on the phone not make enough money for them to want to continue?

They bring more money on Switch. As simple as that.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
Good. Plain and simple - creating high quality mobile games and making profitable mobile games are not compatible

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Nintendos efforts on mobile have been poor and rightfully haven't done as well as they deserved. The potential for nintendos games on mobile is massive but they seem incapable of pivoting to that market. Like so many other areas nintendo is struggling to adapt.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo should have just brought their back catalog titles to mobile to capture the "plays retro games on an emulator on their cellphone" market instead of all the dumb shit they actually did.

juanmi

Oct 31, 2017
Sounds great but honestly Nintendo, you haven't even bothered attempting Nintendogs or Brain Training yet?

I really think they should bring the Touch! Generations to smartphones. I can see this kind of games being adapted perfectly to smartphones, even for monetization (For instance, Brain Training could work as a subscription while Nintendogs could cash on buying accessories and extras...) I am surprised they haven't milked these yet...

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
I'm glad they are moving back to focusing entirely on consoles, but man is it a little scary to hear that Animal Crossing is what pushed them to do that. New Horizons is not an example I would want Nintendo to follow for their franchises.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Awesome news. Makes me more likely to buy a Switch (or rather upgraded Switch) in the future !

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if anyone will remember this analogy from when they entered the market, but I guess you can get just a little bit pregnant.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo's mobile efforts became insanely cynical. What started off with a (bland) social networking app and a fairly priced (but unsuccessful) $10 Mario spinoff eventually devolved into low effort lootbox/gacha games.
I was particularly disgusted with the lootboxes for furniture in Animal Crossing of all things. And then a monthly sub too, why not.

I thought the idea was to expand the brands and use the mobile games to promote their console, not lame cash grab gambling promoters.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I'm still playing Fire Emblem Heroes four years later despite the constant waifu pandering. Still a good game and the only Nintendo mobile game I haven't dropped. (Still needs more gay male/straight female pandering though)

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I liked the idea of having mobile games with Nintendo's known quality and polish but instead of that we got Mario Kart where Diddy Kong costs $40. Not really a shame honestly, they're better off focusing on the Switch.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Mario Run aside, I thought their mobile efforts were very successful? Pokémon Go was absolutely huge.

Not sure why they wouldn't want to do both at the same time, maybe spin off a separate division to handle mobile. Switch might not be the huge success it is today forever, they've certainly seen peaks and troughs. Nintendo could do with diversifying slightly.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Nintendos efforts on mobile have been poor and rightfully haven't done as well as they deserved. The potential for nintendos games on mobile is massive but they seem incapable of pivoting to that market. Like so many other areas nintendo is struggling to adapt.

Because Nintendo actually has standards. Look at how gamers are ripping on companies like EA, Activision, Epic Games for putting out games that trick players into spending money. Look at companies who are selling their games incomplete, holding back characters to sell back later as DLC. Or locking characters and features behind paywalls, season passes, and collector's editions.

I'm glad Nintendo isn't adapting, because if they did, they cease to be Nintendo.